Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

Dayton Recruiting

605K views 4K replies 168 participants last post by  KYFlyer 
#1 · (Edited)
Top-100 Recruit Likes Flyers (Doug Harris, Dayton Daily News - June 25, 2009)

(Article about Brandon Spearman)

Flyers Going After Guards (Doug Harris, Dayton Daily News - June 27, 2009)

(Article about Jalen Steele, Jesse Berry, Brandon Spearman, and Cameron Wright)

Flyers aim for a great class (Doug Harris, Dayton Daily News - June 28, 2009)

(Article about Jesse Berry, Jalen Steele, and Brandon Spearman)

Dayton Flyers 2009-10 Depth Chart with 2008-09 Scoring (5 Seniors):

PG: London Warren (6-0 Sr./ 4.1 PPG), Rob Lowery (6-2 Sr./ 7.5 PPG)
SG: Marcus Johnson (6-3 Sr./ 11.8 PPG), Mickey Perry (6-2 Sr./ 4.6 PPG), Paul Williams (6-4 Soph./ 2.2 PPG)
SF: Chris Wright (6-8 Jr./ 13.3 PPG), Chris Johnson (6-5 Soph./ 6.3 PPG), Luke Fabrizius (6-9 Soph./ 4.3 PPG)
PF: Devin Searcy (6-10 Jr./ 2.8 PPG), Josh Benson (6-10 Fr./ DNP)
C: Kurt Huelsman (6-10 Sr./ 3.6 PPG), Matt Kavanaugh (6-10 Fr./ DNP)

Brian Gregory has 6 scholarships available for the 2010 Class (the 5 present seniors plus Stephen Thomas’ scholarship) and the following wish list:

1 point guard
1 shooting guard
2 combo guards
1 combo forward
Adreian Payne

The point guard scholarship went to Juwan Staten.

At the present time, Brandon Spearman and Jalen Steele are the front-runners for the shooting guard scholarship.

Both combo guard scholarships have now been awarded, the first going to Drake transfer Josh Parker, who will be a junior in 2010-11 (Josh Parker video) and the second to Jesse Berry.

The combo forward scholarship went to Ralph Hill, who appears to be a slightly bigger version of multi-skilled, athletic Chris Johnson. Brian Gregory was in early on both Ralph Hill and Chris Johnson, and both flew under the national radar (i.e. head coaches of BCS-conference schools and the basketball recruiting websites) before committing to Dayton. As you recall, Chris Johnson was named to the Atlantic 10 All-Rookie team in March 2009, which was quite an accomplishment for a reserve SF playing behind Chris Wright. At 6’-5” Chris Johnson is quite capable of playing the SG position against opponents’ taller SGs. Brian Gregory is very keen to stock his roster with players who can play 2 positions – “interchangeable parts” as he calls them – and is doing a great job of so.

The sixth and final scholarship available for 2010 is being held for PF/C Adreian Payne, who may or may not commit to Dayton. As many of you know already, Payne is still very raw, but has incredible upside potential. If Payne commits elsewhere, Brian Gregory may offer it to another 2010 prospect or hold the scholarship for a 2011 prospect.

PF # 2 Adreian Payne (Rivals.com)

PF # 7 Adreian Payne (ESPN / Scouts Inc.)

C # 4 Adreian Payne (Scout.com)

It is relevant to ask how much UD’s recruiting has improved since Brian Gregory was named head coach of the Dayton Flyers.

This question is best answered by looking at the last two recruiting classes that were signed by Oliver Purnell before he left for Clemson:

University of Dayton Prospects: HS Class of 2002 (Scout.com)

University of Dayton Prospects: HS Class of 2003 (Scout.com)

If Chris Wright has a monster season in 2009-10 (i.e. 18 PPG, 8 RPG, 50% FGs, and 40% from 3-point range) he may well forego his senior year at UD and head to the NBA a year early as a first-round draft pick. However, given the very strong field of players who will likely be in the 2010 NBA Draft, coupled with Derrick Brown's disappointing # 40 selection in the 2009 NBA Draft, I consider it far more likely that Wright will play his senior year at UD.

If Wright does leave early for the NBA, the Flyers will still have junior Chris Johnson, junior Luke Fabrizius, and freshman Ralph Hill available to man the 3-spot in 2010-11. This means that Brian Gregory will not find himself in Chris Mack's situation of having to waste a valuable scholarship on a career pine-jockey in a desperate attempt to fill a hole in the roster after the unexpected departure of the team's best player.

Dayton has not passed Xavier as a program yet, but as each season goes by, Brian Gregory has been building a stronger roster and closing the gap between the Flyers and the Musketeers. I believe it is likely that the Flyers will win the Atlantic 10 Conference this season and continue to improve relative to Xavier and the rest of the Atlantic 10 basketball teams. However, that is only one man's humble opinion. As always, we'll see . . .

Related Threads:

PG Chooses Dayton (Juwan Staten) (Atlantic 10 MB thread started February 27, 2008)

Spring Period Signings in the A-10 (Josh Parker) (Atlantic 10 MB thread started April 18, 2009)

Ralph Hill, 2010 SF commits to Dayton (Atlantic 10 MB thread started April 28, 2009)

Class of 2010: ESPNU Super 60 (Juwan Staten) (Atlantic 10 MB thread started May 1, 2009)

Overview of Your Team Next Year (Atlantic 10 MB thread started May 20, 2009)

Dayton vs. Xavier in 2009-10 (Atlantic 10 MB thread started May 29, 2009)

2009-10 Preseason Rankings (Atlantic 10 MB thread started June 16, 2009)

July 2009: AAU Tournaments and Evaluation Period (Atlantic 10 MB thread started June 26, 2009)

2010 NBA Draft (Atlantic 10 MB thread started June 26, 2009)

Berry to Dayton (Atlantic 10 MB thread started July 2, 2009)

Chris Wright on Yahoo! homepage (Atlantic 10 MB thread started July 7, 2009)

Dayton Flyers Land Another Top 100 Recruit (Brandon Spearman) (Atlantic 10 MB thread started July 17, 2009)

SF Devin Oliver Commits to Dayton (Atlantic 10 MB thread started October 18, 2009)

Today is National Letter of Intent Day (Atlantic 10 MB thread started November 11, 2009)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Atlantic 10 Commitments: HS Class of 2008 (ESPN / Scouts Inc.)

Atlantic 10 Commitments: HS Class of 2009 (ESPN / Scouts Inc.)

Atlantic 10 Commitments: HS Class of 2010 (ESPN / Scouts Inc.)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Atlantic 10: 2009-10 Predicted Order of Finish (A10 MB thread started October 6, 2009)

Rivals.com Ranks All 347 Division I Teams (A10 MB thread started September 11, 2009)

CHN's 144 Teams in 144 Days (A10 MB thread started July 23, 2009)

Dayton Recruiting (A10 MB thread started July 2, 2009)

Thinking About ... DAYTON (WH MB thread started October 17, 2009)

2009-10 Season Predictions: Flyers Lead the Way (A10 MB thread started September 29, 2009)

ESPN's Top Basketball Programs of the 40s, 50s, 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s, 2000 (A10 MB thread started October 5, 2009)

A-10 Non-conference Records Predictions (A10 MB thread started October 10, 2009)

A10 Media Day (A10 MB thread started October 20, 2009)

Early Season Tournaments (A10 MB thread started August 6, 2009)

Dayton's 3-Point Shooting to be Upgraded for 2010-11 Season (A10 MB thread started November 21, 2009)

Dayton Flyers 2009-10 Schedule & Results (DaytonFlyers.com)

Game 1: # 21 Dayton 90, Creighton 80 (Flyers 1-0):
CU/UD Game thoughts (A10 MB thread)

Game 2: # 18 Dayton 63, # 22 Georgia Tech 59 (Flyers 2-0):
Puerto Rico thread......UD/GA Tech (A10 MB thread)

Game 3: # 5 Villanova 71, Dayton 65 (Flyers 2-1):
UD/Nova game thread (A10 MB thread)

Game 4: Kansas State 83, Dayton 75 (Flyers 2-2):
UD/Kansas St. game thread (A10 MB thread)

See less See more
Reactions: _Loki_
#252 · (Edited)
Boys Basketball Preview: Top 20 (Chicago Tribune - November 19, 2009)

Last season's record; final ranking in parentheses.

1. Young 26-9 (1)

Defending 4A champ flush with D-I talent.

2. Waukegan 26-5 (3)

Class 4A runner-up.

3. Simeon 18-10 (NR)

Brandon Spearman (Dayton) will provide steady senior leadership to a loaded young squad.
PG Jelani Neely and 6-7 Steve Taylor are among the top sophomores in the state, and 6-4 freshman Jabari Parker is at the top of the class of '13.

ChicagoHoops.com Preseason 1st Team All-Chicago Public League Squad (Oct. 30, 2009)

Brandon Spearman

Position: Guard/Forward Height: 6'3"

High School: Chicago Simeon Class: 2010

A University of Dayton recruit. Excels with his versatility, toughness and tenacity on both ends of the basketball court. Will look to lead a very deep and talented Simeon team in their bid to add another state title to their collection.

#253 ·
Pe’Shon Howard’s Diary #4 – Feeling Better (By Pe’Shon Howard, Oak Hill - Nov. 23, 2009)

November 20, 2009 — Hey everyone. I’m back! A lot has happened since my last entry. We’ve had a fast start (8-0). It’s great to be undefeated early in our season.

Thanksgiving Break started Saturday (11/21), and everyone was ready to go home and see their families. I hope everybody comes back to pick up where we left off both on and off the court. We all need some rest to help us get healthy – get over our injuries and sickness. The flu hit our whole school and the team pretty hard. Martins, Marco, Roscoe & myself all missed some practice. The flu definitley hit me the hardest forcing me to miss a game. But the team took care of business anyways.

I hope when I return I maintain my focus in the classroom. The whole team made either the A or B honor roll 1st quarter. When we all get back there will be no time for distractions or goofing off as we have a tough stretch – 3 weekends out of state versus good teams. On the court, I hope there are no let downs.

Last thing here – Congratulations to Juwan Staton & Baye Keita for signing National Letters of Intent to play for the University of Dayton & Syracuse University. I didn’t sign, so looks like I’m waiting until the Spring to be certain. I wish the rest of my teammates good luck with their college choices!

Oak Hill Academy 2009-10 Schedule & Results (8-0)

#254 ·
Westerville North trio sign to play in college (Columbus Local News - Nov. 17, 2009)

Ralph Hill signed on the dotted line to play basketball at the University of Dayton.

"It was tough," Hill said of his decision. "It came down to Akron and Dayton, and they were both really close to home. Georgia Tech and Notre Dame came into the recruiting process in the end, but I didn't feel a connection with their coaches.

"Coming down to it, Dayton's just a great program. They have great academics and the only sport they really focus on down there is basketball. They don't have a (Division I) football team."

For Hill, Flyers coach Brian Gregory proved a convincing recruiter, plus he'll be able to play close to home.

"He and the Flyer faithful (were convincing)," Hill said. "I was down there for the UD-Xavier game and it was possibly the greatest game I've ever seen. The atmosphere was great, nothing ever tops it."

Hill will also take the court with fellow Central Ohio native Chris Johnson, who's now a sophomore.

"I know C.J." Hill explained. "He was pretty good in high school and now I joke around with him, telling him he's going to give me a ride home. Being from Columbus, that was a plus knowing I'd have another local guy on the team."

Johnson played his prep ball down the road at Brookhaven.

Hill averaged 19 points a game last season for the Warriors and checks in at 6 feet, 6 inches.

Hill plans to major in mechanical engineering, with a concentration on aerospace.

"It's pretty tough," he admitted. "The academics there are great, though."

Westerville North Primed for a Big Year (Ohio High School Hoops - Nov. 21, 2009)

OHSH was able to get a look at Westerville North last night in a four quarter foundation game against an undermanned Columbus St.Charles outfit.

North was seemingly everywhere led by its main man Ralph Hill. The 6-foot-6 Dayton signee put on a clinic in transition and taking the ball to the hole. Hill finished with several slams including one off the backboard dished out by teammate Bradley Nettles. Hill looked to be playing inspired basketball in leading the Warriors.

#255 ·
Dramatic story lines abound in centennial season (Indianapolis Star - Nov. 24, 2009)

Mr. Basketball race: If Deshaun Thomas accomplishes both goals -- or comes close -- he'll likely be considered the top candidate for Indianapolis Star Indiana Mr. Basketball. But there are others capable of making it a race, including North Central guard and Purdue recruit Terone Johnson.

Among others who merit watching are Donnie Hale of New Albany, Travis Carroll of Danville and Jesse Berry of Lafayette Jeff.

#257 ·
According to many, many prospects who have committed to the Flyers over the past 40 years, it is a factor.

UD Arena

#261 ·
Here's the latest on Jesse Berry:

4A PREVIEW: 2009-2010 (Hoosier Hoops Report - Nov. 24, 2009)

Lafayette Jefferson (17-8); lost to Kokomo in the sectional – Last year might be a year the Bronchos look to forget, but if they can learn from it, they have the talent to go deep in March. Most of that optimism comes from having one of the top point guards in the state. Jesse Berry is a very talented 6’2” senior. He could very well lead the state in scoring, and as he matures, his game will flourish. Look for him to be a big steal for Dayton, where he is signed to play in college.

First Team:
Jesse Berry, 6′2″ SR, point guard; Lafayette Jeff

Jeremiah Davis, 6′3″ JR, point guard; Muncie Central
Donnie Hale, 6′8″ SR, power forward; New Albany
Terone Johnson, 6′2″ SR, shooting guard; North Central
Marquis Teague, 6′3″ JR, point guard; Pike

Second Team:
Darwin Davis, 5′10″ JR, point guard; Bloomington South
Erik Fromm, 6′8″ SR, power forward; Bloomington South
Justin Gant, 6′9″ JR, power forward; Terre Haute North
D’Vauntes Smith-Rivera, 6′2″ SO, point guard; North Central
Ryan Taylor, 6′6″ JR, small forward; Lawrence North

Third Team:
Matt Carlino, 6′2″ JR, point guard; Bloomington South
Kendall Griffin, 6′4″ JR, shooting guard; Avon
Jack Isenbarger, 6′3″ SR, point guard; Zionsville
Ron Patterson, 6′2″ SO, shooting guard; Broad Ripple
Khristian Smith, 6′5″ SR, shooting guard; Pike
Brian Stolarz, 6′4″ JR, small forward; Munster

Lafayette Jefferson Bronchos Preview (Lafayette IN - Nov. 29, 2009)

Jesse Berry emerged as the area's scoring champion, topping 40 points on six occasions and breaking his own school record with 55 against Fishers on Jan. 16. The Dayton signee is prolific while pulling up from the perimeter or slashing to the basket. For the second half of the season, Berry helped with point guard duties, and the attention he draws can open up scoring opportunities for the rest of Jeff's shooters.

Jesse Berry Leading Bronchos to Wins (WLFI.com - Jan. 22, 2009)

Jefferson junior has worked hard to improve

Lafayette, Ind. (WLFI) - Jesse Berry is a nightmare for opposing defenses. This season, he's led the Bronchos to their third straight J & C Hoops Classic title and he's scored 152 points in 3 games this year.

Bronchos head coach Scot Bunnell said, "He works extremely hard on his game. He takes a lot of pride in being a good player. He takes a lot of pride in trying to imporve in areas that he needs to improve in. I think we've seen that from last year to this year that he's done those things."

One of Berry's biggest accomplishments this season is setting the school record for points in a game. He set it earlier this season, scoring 51 against Rossville. This past Friday night he dropped 55 against Fishers, breaking his own record.

#262 · (Edited)
DAYTON SIGNS TOP RECRUITING CLASS OF STATEN, HILL, BERRY, SPEARMAN, & OLIVER (DaytonFlyers.com - Nov. 11, 2009)

During the next week, four out of five of Dayton's HS Class of 2010 recruits will be making their HS Senior Year debuts on the hardwood.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jesse Berry's first game of the season is tonight (Tuesday) vs. Frankfort HS:

Seven Challenge Lafayette Jefferson's Hoops Classic Reign (jconline - Nov. 30, 2009)

Lafayette Jefferson and Frankfort open Tuesday's action in a rematch of the Bronchos' 81-62 title game victory from last season.

"It will be a huge challenge," Jefferson coach Scot Bunnell said. "To win that thing three years in a row like we have ... they're all big-time rivalry games. It's a great week of basketball."

Lafayette & West Lafayette Indiana High School Sports (jconline.com)

Edit: Jesse Berry's second game of the season is Friday, December 4th vs. McCutcheon HS at 7:30 p.m. in a semi-final game of the J & C Hoops Classic. The two winners of Friday night's semi-finals will play on Saturday, December 5th, with the semi-final losers tipping off at 6:00 pm and Championship game scheduled for an 8:00 PM start.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ralph Hill's first game of the season is on Friday, December 4th vs. Johnstown HS:

Westerville North 2009-10 Schedule (Columbus Dispatch)

December 2009: 4: Johnstown; 8: at Dublin Jerome; 11: Westerville Central; 18: at Dublin Scioto; 22: Olentangy Liberty; 29: Newark.

January 2010: 5: at Westerville South; 8: Marysville; 9: at Canton McKinley; 15: at Olentangy; 18: vs. Red Springs (N.C.) Flora Macdonald at Kettering Fairmont 11:30 a.m.; 22: Dublin Jerome; 26: at Westerville Central; 29: Dublin Scioto.

February 2010: 2: at Olentangy Liberty; 5: Westerville South; 9: at New Albany; 12: at Marysville; 16: Hilliard Davidson; 19: Olentangy.

High School Sports homepage (Columbus Dispatch)

Oak Hill Academy 2009-10 Schedule & Results (Oak Hill Academy)

Oak Hill Academy started out the 2009-10 season with a perfect 8-0 record before taking a 15-day break from their schedule. Juwan Staten and his teammates resume play on Saturday, December 5th vs. Calloway County HS in Benton, KY.

Oak Hill Academy Basketball homepage (Oak Hill Academy)

Brandon Spearman's first game of the season is on Sunday, December 6th vs. Thornton HS:

The Chicago Public Schools Shootout At Chicago State University (Chicago Hoops - Nov. 30, 2009)

Sunday, December 6th

11:00 p.m. Chicago Marshall vs. Chicago Von Steuben
1:00 p.m. Chicago Curie vs. Thornton Fractional North
2:30 p.m. Chicago Farragut vs. Crete-Monee
4:00 p.m. Chicago Foreman vs. Hillcrest
5:30 p.m. Chicago Simeon vs. Thornton
7:00 p.m. Chicago Whitney Young vs. Homewood-Flossmoor

Chicago Simeon HS Boys Basketball homepage (Chicago Sun-Times)

Devin Oliver's first game of the season is on Tuesday, December 8th vs. Coldwater HS.

Kalamazoo Central 2009-10 Schedule (Kalamazoo Central HS)

Kalamazoo Central Boys Basketball homepage (mlive.com - Kalamazoo Central HS)

Best of luck to the five Future Flyers on their HS Senior Year seasons !

#263 ·
Jesse Berry didn't disappoint in his first game of the year.

"All credit to them," said Jeff senior guard Jesse Berry, who scored 16 of his game-high 25 points in the second half. "Frankfort was a really good team. We weren't expecting how they played, and they played really well."

No. 7 Lafayette Jeff avoids Frankfort upset bid: http://www.jconline.com/article/200....-7-Lafayette-Jeff-avoids-Frankfort-upset-bid

#265 · (Edited)
Jeff Blitzes McCutcheon to Reach Title Game (jconline - Dec. 5, 2009)

Lafayette Jeff did not begin its pursuit of a fourth straight J&C Hoops Classic championship with a stellar effort.

Friday night at Crawley Center, the Bronchos returned to form.

Behind 24 points from Jesse Berry and another double-double from Roddy Richardson, Jeff rolled to a 77-42 semifinal victory over McCutcheon.

Berry hit a 3 with 4:48 left in the third, but McCutcheon's Vince Hunsicker answered at the other end to keep the deficit at 15. Berry responded with two more 3s from well beyond the line, pushing the Broncho lead to 21.

"Jesse hit those three 3s, and that's just like a stab in the heart," Richardson said. "It's like a dagger to a vampire. When you're coming back and they put three in your face like that, there's nothing you can do."

Westerville North 72, Johnstown 33 (Columbus Dispatch - Dec 5, 2009)

Johnstown 10 12 4 7 -- 33
Westerville North 22 24 17 9 -- 72

Johnstown: Block 1-2-5, Cannon 3-0-6, Green 4-0-9, Kessler 1-0-3, Smith 3-0-8, Fuller 1-0-2. 3-point goals: Smith 2, Block, Green, Kessler. Totals: 13-2-33.

Westerville North: Forrest 1-1-3, B.Nettles 1-0-2, DeBoer 7-3-18, Ralph Hill 8-10-26, Edgerton 1-0-2, Hochstetler 4-0-8, Jackson 2-0-4, Thomas 1-1-3, Chandler 2-0-4, Rhodes 1-0-2. 3-point goal: DeBoer. Totals: 28-15-72.

#266 · (Edited)
Lafayette Jeff Turns Back Harrison (jconline - December 6, 2009)

Jesse Berry's 34 points led Class 4A No. 7 Lafayette Jeff to an 82-73 victory in Saturday night's Championship game at Crawley Center.

Berry scored 23 first-half points, when the Bronchos (4-0) led by as many as 15.

"It's a good opening tournament, and to win it all four years, it feels great," said Berry, who repeated as the Maurie Denney Tournament MVP.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jesse Berry scored 25 points on Tuesday, 24 points in the semifinal on Friday, and 34 points in the Championship game on Saturday night.

Oak Hill also won on Saturday night 73-46, running their record to 9-0.

Brandon Spearman makes his senior-year debut this afternoon at 5:30 PM vs. Thornton HS.

#267 · (Edited)
SF Devin Oliver Commits to Dayton (Atlantic 10 MB thread started October 18, 2009)

After reading the foolish attempts of a number of Xavier fans to trash Devin Oliver (Kalamazoo Central Maroon Giants) without knowing anything about him (see link above), it is gratifying to read that Devin Oliver is the best player on what could well be the best high school basketball team in Michigan:

Is Kalamazoo Central the New #1 in Class-A Basketball? (West Michigan All-Star - December 3, 2009)

Detroit Pershing is the popular choice to lead that race, followed by Rockford and Kalamazoo Central, the latter two of which have really been interchangeable.

Thanks to an underwhelming performance against Kalamazoo Central in preseason scrimmages, some pundits are reconsidering the [Detroit Pershing] Doughboys’ perceived dominance.

The catalyst to all this reconsideration was, in a preseason scrimmage between the two teams at Lansing Eastern, Kalamazoo Central smoked Pershing. It wasn’t even close. More than simply the loss, that Pershing was blown out was the most surprising. With a talent like Appling, who is headed to MSU next fall, you almost take it for granted that the Doughboys will be competitive against any competition. But the Maroon Giants don’t care about any of that, and they nonchalantly blew out their opponent. And now we’re left to figure out what all this means.

Stephen Bell of the High School Basketball Bulletin takes a look at the game and its implications from both sides, and perhaps reconsiders the direction of his horn toots:

Detroit Pershing didn’t look like the No. 1 team in Class A at the Lansing Eastern scrimmage in a blowout loss to Kalamazoo Central. Keith Appling needs to step up and become a leader, and not just a talent.

Kalamazoo Central may have “peaked early” at the Lansing Eastern scrimmage with a win over Pershing, but showed that with 6-2 junior TJ Buchanan, 6-6 junior Darius Norman and 6-6 senior Devin Oliver, this is still the most athletic team in Michigan.
Bell makes an interesting point in questioning Appling’s leadership. It’s one thing to score a billion points and showcase your individual superiority over your opponents. It’s another thing to win the game. No matter how talented a player is, if he is a good leader his team at the very least has a chance to win the game at the end. I don’t think anyone could legitimately question the peerless nature of his individual talent on the court, but I think Bell is right in questioning his leadership.

But did Kalamazoo Central hit their peak with the victory? In a word: no. It’s impossible to say that any team has peaked after watching one game, so let’s not jump to too many conclusions just yet. Lead by senior Devin Oliver, the Maroon Giants are, well, giants. They were last year, and they are this year.

Westerville North Proceeding in Next-step Mode (Columbus Local News - December 1, 2009)

North's squad is built around senior Ralph Hill (6-6), who recently signed a letter of intent to play at the University of Dayton.

"He's great," Thuman said, "and I think he still has a lot of room for improvement. That's one of the things Dayton's kind of excited about with him. As good as he is as a high school basketball player, there're things he can do to be better.

"He's fully developed height-wise, and his body is filling in. He'll continue to work on his skills."

Hill has been, and is, a great leader for the Warriors.

Dayton's 3-Point Shooting to be Upgraded for 2010-11 Season (A10 MB thread started November 21, 2009)

Coach Gregory on Ralph Hill: "Ralph Hill is a versatile forward who puts to great use his athletic ability in transition and around the basket. He has really improved his ability to step out and knock down the three.

Coach Gregory on Devin Oliver: "Devin is a multi-dimensional player who will play all five positions for his high school team this upcoming season, a team that made it all the way to the state finals last year. He is a long and explosive athlete who is still growing. He is a silky-smooth left-handed player who has exceptional range well beyond the three and has as good a basketball IQ as any player we have ever recruited. He is a great passer and has a great understanding of the game and really fits in with the style of play that we have been so successful with."

#269 ·
I know of a couple updates without links. Jesse Berry put up 34 in the team's championship game of their first tourny. I believe he went for 25, 24, and 34.

Spearman's team won last night but I couldn't find his stats. Sounds like he had very small game. But his coached praised him for "being the team's best player" even over their super freshman this year, can't remember his name, Jabir something....lol.

#272 · (Edited)
Thank you very much Medford, MichFlyer1, and Squid Legs.

I have been following Dayton's recruits for more than 45 years now. I had the priviledge watching Don May play for the Belmont Bison during the 1963-64 season - the year they won the Ohio Boys Basketball Championship.

Tonight, Class of 2010 forwards Devin Oliver and Ralph Hill are in action.

Below are the schedules for Dayton's HS Class of 2010 recruits.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dayton Signs Top Recruiting Class of Staten, Hill, Berry, Spearman, & Oliver (DaytonFlyers.com - Nov. 11, 2009)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Oak Hill Academy Basketball homepage (Oak Hill Academy)

Juwan Staten's Diary (Oak Hill Academy)

Oak Hill Academy Warriors 2009-10 Schedule (5'-11" PG Juwan Staten)

October

31 Saturday Central Carolina Academy, NC Won, 100-55 Mouth of Wilson, VA 7:00pm

November

5 Thursday Winston-Salem Prep, NC Won, 87-62 Winston-Salem, NC 7:00pm
6 Friday Ernst Prep, MI Won, 125-63 Mouth of Wilson, VA 7:00pm
7 Saturday Southern Carolina Academy, NC Won, 97-73 Mouth of Wilson, VA 7:00pm
11 Wednesday Floral McDonald Academy, NC Won, 105-76 Mouth of Wilson, VA 6:00pm
13 Friday Winston-Salem Prep, NC Won, 100-69 Mouth of Wilson, VA 7:00pm
14 Saturday Cesar Chavez School, DC Won, 109-71 Mouth of Wilson, VA 4:00pm
20 Friday Veritas Christian, NC Won, 77-51 Mouth of Wilson, VA 7:00pm

December

5 Saturday Calloway County HS, MS Won, 73-46 Benton, KY 8:00pm
11 Friday Carolina Forrest HS, SC Gastonia, NC 6:15pm
12 Saturday Gaston Day School Gastonia, NC 12:00pm
13 Sunday Australian Jr. National Team Mouth of Wilson, VA 4:30pm
14 Monday Ridgeview HS, SC Mouth of Wilson, VA 7:00pm
18 Friday Forsyth Country Day School, NC Mouth of Wilson, VA 7:00pm
21 Monday Walnut Ridge HS, OH Ironton, OH TBA
22 Tuesday Cincinnati Princeton HS, OH Ironton, OH TBA
27-30 Sun-Thurs Les Schwab Invitational (4 Games) Portland, OR TBA

January

16 Saturday Northland HS, OH Springfield, MA 4:00pm
18 Monday Greensboro Dudley HS, NC Greensboro, NC TBA
23 Saturday Columbia HS, GA Morgantown, WV 9:30pm
27 Wednesday Christian Faith Academy Mouth of Wilson, VA 7:00pm
29 Friday Siegel HS, TN Bristol, VA 8:00pm
30 Saturday Blue Ridge School, VA Rocky Mount, VA 4:00pm

February

2 Tuesday Mountain State Academy Beckley, WV TBA
3 Wednesday Oak Ridge Military School Mouth of Wilson, VA 7:00pm
5 Friday Brehm Prep, IL Mouth of Wilson, VA 7:00pm
6 Saturday TBA Salem, VA TBA
8 Monday Huntington Prep, WV Mouth of Wilson, VA 7:00pm
12 Friday St. Patricks, NJ Trenton, NJ 8:00pm
13 Saturday St. Peter’s Prep, NJ Trenton, NJ 7:30pm
15 Monday Life Center Academy, NJ Mouth of Wilson, VA 7:00pm
17 Wednesday Forsyth Country Day, NC Lewisville, NC TBA
20 Saturday Quality Education Academy, NC Mouth of Wilson, VA 7:00pm
27 Saturday Benedictine High School Richmond, VA (VCU) TBA
28 Sunday Mountain State Academy Mouth of Wilson, VA 3:00pm

April

1-3 Thurs-Sat Nike HS Basketball Invitational (3 Games) Washington, D.C. TBA

Lafayette & West Lafayette Indiana High School Sports (jconline.com)

Lafayette Jefferson Bronchos 2009-10 Schedule (6'-2" PG Jesse Berry)

Nov. 25 Rossville {1A} W 100-35
Dec. 1 Frankfort {3A} W 64-54 (Tournament)
Dec. 4 McCutcheon {4A} W 77- 42 (Tournament)
Dec. 5 Harrison (West Lafayette) {4A} W 82-73 (Tournament)
Dec. 11 at Westfield {4A}‡ 7:30 pm
Dec. 12 at Logansport {4A} 8:00 pm
Dec. 18 at Noblesville {4A}‡ 7:30 pm
Dec. 19 Kokomo {4A} 7:30 pm
Dec. 30 Warsaw Tournament

Jan. 8 Zionsville {4A}‡ 7:30 pm
Jan. 9 Gary Roosevelt {3A} 7:30 pm
Jan. 15 Fishers {4A}‡ 7:30 pm
Jan. 16 at Anderson {4A} 8:00 pm
Jan. 22 at Harrison (West Lafayette) {4A}‡ 7:30 pm
Jan. 29 Lafayette Central Catholic {1A} 7:30 pm
Jan. 30 at Benton Central {3A} 8:00 pm

Feb. 5 at Avon {4A}‡ 7:30 pm
Feb. 6 at West Lafayette {3A} 7:30 pm
Feb. 11 McCutcheon {4A}‡ 7:30 pm
Feb. 19 Brownsburg {4A}‡ 7:30 pm
Feb. 25 at Hamilton Southeastern {4A}‡ 7:30 pm

Chicago Simeon HS Boys Basketball homepage (Chicago Sun-Times)

Chicago Simeon Wolverines 2009-10 Schedule (6'-3" SG Brandon Spearman)

12/06/09 TBA @ Thornton (Harvey, IL) (Chicago St. Univ.)
12/12/09 5:30 PM vs. East St. Louis (East St. Louis, IL) (Midwest Shootout )
12/16/09 6:00 PM @ Brooks College Prep (Chicago, IL) * (Pack The Places Night)
12/19/09 7:30 PM @ Young (Chicago, IL)

1/09/10 TBA vs. Hill (Saginaw, MI)
1/15/10 4:00 PM @ Harlan (Chicago, IL)
1/17/10 2:00 PM @ Sts. Neumann & Goretti (Philadelphia, PA) ** (HoopHall Classic)
1/20/10 4:00 PM @ Chicago Vocational (Chicago, IL) * (Alumni Night)

Remainder of schedule not yet published.

High School Sports homepage (Columbus Dispatch)

Westerville North Warriors 2009-10 Schedule (6'-6" F Ralph Hill)

December 2009: 4: Johnstown; 8: at Dublin Jerome; 11: Westerville Central; 18: at Dublin Scioto; 22: Olentangy Liberty; 29: Newark.

January 2010: 5: at Westerville South; 8: Marysville; 9: at Canton McKinley; 15: at Olentangy; 18: vs. Red Springs (N.C.) Flora Macdonald at Kettering Fairmont 11:30 a.m.; 22: Dublin Jerome; 26: at Westerville Central; 29: Dublin Scioto.

February 2010: 2: at Olentangy Liberty; 5: Westerville South; 9: at New Albany; 12: at Marysville; 16: Hilliard Davidson; 19: Olentangy.

Kalamazoo Central Boys Basketball homepage (mlive.com - Kalamazoo Central HS)

Kalamazoo Central Maroon Giants 2009-10 Schedule (6'-7" F Devin Oliver)

12/08/09 7:15 PM vs. Coldwater (Coldwater, MI)
12/11/09 7:15 PM @ Portage Northern (Portage, MI) *
12/18/09 7:15 PM vs. St. Joseph (St. Joseph, MI)
12/19/09 6:00 PM @ Saginaw
12/29/09 7:15 PM vs. Rockford

1/08/10 7:15 PM @ Portage Central (Portage, MI) *
1/15/10 7:15 PM vs. Loy Norrix (Kalamazoo, MI) *
1/19/10 7:15 PM @ Benton Harbor
1/22/10 7:15 PM @ Battle Creek Central
1/23/10 5:00 PM vs. Detroit Country Day (Beverly Hills, MI)
1/29/10 7:15 PM vs. Portage Central (Portage, MI) *

2/02/10 7:15 PM vs. Lakeshore (Stevensville, MI)
2/05/10 7:15 PM @ Sturgis (Sturgis, MI) Pregame
2/06/10 5:30 PM @ North Chicago
2/12/10 7:15 PM vs. Portage Northern (Portage, MI) *
2/16/10 7:15 PM @ Mattawan (Mattawan, MI) Pregame
2/19/10 7:15 PM @ Loy Norrix (Kalamazoo, MI) * Pregame
2/20/10 6:00 PM vs. Muskegon Heights (Muskegon Heights, MI)
2/26/10 7:15 PM vs. Battle Creek Central

3/04/10 7:15 PM @ Lakeview (Battle Creek, MI) Pregame

Michigan Boys Basketball State Tournament:

March 8-12: Districts @ Portage Central
March 15 & 17: Regionals
March 23: Quarter Finals
March 26 & 27: State Championship

#273 ·
Westerville North 51, Dublin Jerome 48 (Dispatch - Dec. 9, 2009)

Westerville North: Nettles 1-2-5, Edgerton 1-0-3, DeBoer 3-3-11, Hochschetler 1-0-2, Chandler 0-2-2, Rhodes 4-1-11, Ralph Hill 6-3-17.

3-point goals: Ralph Hill 2
, DeBoer 2, Rhodes 2, Nettles, Edgerton. Totals: 16-11-51.

Kalamazoo Central 94, Coldwater 51 (mlive - Dec. 9, 2009)

Led by Hughes' 17-point effort, Kalamazoo Central placed four players in double figures and its smothering, cat-quick, man-to-man defense produced 42 points following a total of 31 Coldwater turnovers.

Senior Devin Oliver scored a quiet eight points, but grabbed six rebounds and collected six steals in his first outing of the year.

A first-team Class A all-state selection last year, Oliver missed an early slam-dunk attempt and shot an air ball on his first try from behind the 3-point arc.

"I think I was kind of pushing it at the beginning of the game," Oliver said. "I should have just let the game come to me a little bit more, but fortunately I have such great teammates around me, it wasn't like it was on my back.

"People stepped up, I started making the extra pass so people could hit their shots and what I wasn't getting on offense, I just tried to get it back on defense."

#275 ·
#276 ·
Friday, December 11th:

Both of Dayton's combo-forward recruits hit 4 three-pointers last night in wins:

Westerville North 73, Westerville Central 53

Westerville Central 9 15 16 13 — 53
Westerville North 14 10 20 29 — 73

WC: VanMeter 5-2-12, DeVoll 2-0-4, Vannett 3-0-6, Devereaux 3-1-7, Tucker 5-2-12, Bohan 1-0-2, Henderson 3-0-7, Price 1-1-3. 3-point goal: Henderson. Totals: 23-6-53.
WN: Nettles 7-4-19, DeBoer 2-5-10, Ralph Hill 9-4-26, Edgerton 1-1-3, Hochstetler 3-0-6, Rhodes 4-0-9.

3-point goals: Ralph Hill 4, Rhodes, DeBoer, Nettles. Totals: 26-14-73.

Kalamazoo Central starts sloppy, gradually pulls away for 74-37 win at Portage Northern (mlive - Dec. 11, 2009)

Senior all-state wing Devin Oliver stuffed the stat sheet once again for K-Central, finishing with a game-high 18 points (four 3-pointers), 12 rebounds, three steals and two assists.

"Devin is a special player," Thomas said. "He can do everything for us. ... He doesn't have to be like Allen Iverson and take 25 shots to score 20 points."

#279 ·
Friday, December 11th:

Both of Dayton's combo-forward recruits hit 4 three-pointers last night in wins:

Ralph Hill 9-4-26 3-point goals: Ralph Hill 4

Senior all-state wing Devin Oliver stuffed the stat sheet once again for K-Central, finishing with a game-high 18 points (four 3-pointers), 12 rebounds, three steals and two assists.
So, I'm watching Villanova-Temple, and I hear Steve Lappas say the following after Taylor King dropped a triple:

"I think the game has changed to the point where, if I were ever to come back coaching, I would look for a four-man who was really a big three. That's what you want, because then you get more spacing, it's much more dangerous. And that's what Taylor King provides for them which allows Scottie Reynolds and Corey Fisher to drive more."

I also watched Butler upset Ohio State yesterday and they played three guards along with their fantastic 6'9" sophomore Gordon Hayward at the four. For those who haven't watched Hayward, he's a guard in a big body (he had a late growth spurt) and plays an outside-in game. Butler pairs him with a rugged post player in Matt Howard and lets Hayward handle the ball a lot on the perimeter to set up a drive inside or get a screen for an outside jumper. If the defense overplays Hayward on the perimeter, he can pass over the defense and get the ball down low to Howard.

All this makes me reflect on Brian Gregory's decision to offer scholarships to unheralded SFs Ralph Hill and Devin Oliver in a class heavy on guards (four, counting Josh Parker). Ralph Hill was offered a scholarship early on (maybe sometime last fall) before getting commits from all the other recruits outside of Staten. BG did not slow play this offer, so that leads me to believe he really wanted him. Oliver was the last commit, and after Dayton was conclusively out of the Adriean Payne sweepstakes, some thought BG would hold the scholarship or try to get a legit PF type. Instead, he went for another wing player similar in size to Hill.

I think BG views Hill as a PF in Dayton's evolving 4-out-1-in offensive sets. A player that can put the ball on the floor and finish around the rim, but has a jump shot that must be respected on the perimeter. I have seen little game tape of Hill, but we know he can knock down outside shots and is a fair rebounder. We will see how adept he is at putting the ball on the floor. If he can do that, or develop those skills, then I could see him filling the "new" role of a big three man playing the four position.

I've watched more of Oliver and he is probably just a perimeter player at this point. But, he is growing into a big body and he could also develop into a similar role as Hill. At this point, I see him as a "glue guy" who will move back and forth between positions.

It should be interesting next year to see how BG recasts this team. I expect some significant changes, given the different skills of the incoming players.

#277 ·
Dayton's incoming class (including Parker) is a great class...I don't care about any freakin' expert rankings...these 5 kids can play and all are of the same mindset that permeates UD's program. BG and staff have done 1 heck of a job.

The current Flyer squad isn't the most talented Flyer team ever but they clearly are the hardest working and hardest playing Flyer team ever. They simply wear teams down. ODU was a stingy team and could've won that basketball game but when push came to shove...the Flyers had 1 more gear left and swarmed the Monarchs on several straight possesions at both ends.

#278 ·
Simeon, Young Victorious at Marion shootout (Sun-Times - Dec. 12, 2009)

Simeon didn't look like a team playing only its second game of the season. The No. 4 Wolverines beat their second highly-regarded opponent of the week with relative ease with a 59-44 victory Saturday over downstate East St. Louis in the Best of the Midwest Shootout.

Simeon jumped out to a 22-6 lead as they held the Flyers without a two-point field goal the first 14 minutes of the game. Seniors Brandon Spearman (21 points, three steals) and Robert Robinson (nine points, five rebounds) led the charge with a number of tipped passes and hustle plays in the Wolverines' swarming 2-3 zone.

"Both of those guys showed their leadership with the way they played tonight," said Simeon coach Robert Smith. "Spearman only took four shots in the first game but tonight I think he wanted to show this team he is a leader."

#280 · (Edited)
Oak Hill 100, Carolina Forest 52 (December 11, 2009)

With three guys measuring over 6-8, Oak Hill usually has quite the advantage when height is concerned and Friday night’s 100-52 victory over Carolina Forest was not any different.

The Warriors dominated in the paint, out-rebounding their opponents 48-22, and recording an impressive 11 blocks in the process.

Said Oak Hill’s head coach Steve Smith, “We’re big but we’re athletic, and I expect our guys to be able to guard smaller guys. If they beat get on occasion, it’s going to happen. Hopefully, we’ll have guys on the back side rebounding as well.”

Roscoe Smith, playing in front of Duke basketball coach Mike Krzyzewski, led the way for the Warriors with 21 points to go along with 13 boards, and Baye Keita also record a double-double with 10 points and 10 rebounds.

Offensively, Division I recruits Doron Lamb and Juwan Staten led the way with 20 and 16 points respectively.

All 6 new Flyers for the 2010-11 season are reportedly good to very good 3-point shooters and all 6 can drive to the hoop and finish, in addition to being able to pass the ball well.

Juwan Staten and Jesse Berry have been described by some writers as "unstoppable going to the hoop".

I hope they are right.

In any event, the zone defenses that many teams are playing against UD this season will be far less effective next season with 6 good outside shooters joining the team.

#281 · (Edited)
Trio Helps Lafayette Jeff Bounce Back (jconline - Dec 13, 2009)

LOGANSPORT -- In a possible sectional preview, Class 4A No. 6 Lafayette Jeff made just a bit more plays -- and free throws -- down the stretch to knock off Logansport 64-61 Saturday night at the Berry Bowl.

Jesse Berry, Roddy Richardson and Rashad Richardson led Jeff with 24, 20 and 14 points, respectively. Berry scored with 2:40 left in the game to give Jeff a 62-58 lead.

Oak Hill Academy is now 13-0. last night the Warriors won their fourth game in four days:

December 11 Friday - Carolina Forrest HS, SC Gastonia, NC - Won 100-52
December 12 Saturday - Gaston Day School Gastonia, NC - Won 99-40
December 13 Sunday - Australian Jr. National Team Mouth of Wilson, VA - Won 87-60
Edit: December 14 Monday - Ridgeview HS, SC Mouth of Wilson, VA - Won 95-57

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.