Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

Is dribbling the ball over your head carrying?

61K views 33 replies 25 participants last post by  arora2deepak 
#1 ·
if so, can i have a link. i was watching a game several years ago, where lamar odom dribbled it over his head, and he was called for carrying, and the announcers said he couldn't dribble it over his head...juss wanna see if this is true or not...

#2 ·
i think it really depends on how he brought the ball down, or how his hand changed the ball's movement

you see ppl do it all the time when they lounge down and try a crossover

#3 ·
this is basics. you're not allowed to dribble the ball over your shoulders, nevermind your head. they teach this at any basketball teaching program for kids. just like how you're not allowed to catch your own airball because it's a travel.

#6 ·
that's not true. if you played organized basketball you would know so. dribbling over the shoulder, nevermind the head, is illegal, even if you have your hand on top of the ball.

i don't have links, i just know this from playing ball. it's the same rules in all the leagues i play and nobody ever dribbled the ball over their shoulder in games. it's hardly mentioned in general basketball rules so it's something you learn from playing organized basketball at some point in your life.

edit: http://www.ehow.com/video_2366713_youth-basketball-rules-double-dribble.html

found a link. makes you feel like a noob watching that video but it says dribbling the ball too high is considered double dribble.

i shouoldn't have to provide a link. this is something ball players should know.

#5 ·
so which is it? links?

#8 ·
In college you aren't usually allowed to make an excessively high dribble.In the NBA you can dribble it any way you like so long as you don't carry the ball.That is to say you have to keep your hand on top of the ball.He was probably called for carrying the ball.

#11 ·
The NBA rulebook is silent on this issue(I looked through the 06-07 rulebook online, found through GIS), the closest I could come to a definite answer was on a website for the IAABO basketball official's site for Connecticut.

"Palming or carrying the ball occurs when the ball comes to rest in the player's hand and the player dribbles a second time. There is no restriction as to how high a player may bounce the ball, provided the ball does not come to rest in a player’s hand and the hand stays above the ball."

website link: http://www.iaabo6.org/Interp/2005/misunderstood.htm

#18 ·
I'm kinda with C_dog on this one. All my life I was told/taught over the years that you could not dribble over the shoulders because usually when you dribble that high you have to control the motion of the ball in your hand more so it may just be a carry depending on the action. Not sure if the violation is the dribble over the shoulders, or the fact that your hands position relative to the balls with being on the ball for an extended period of time which may constitute a carry. It never was a problem for me so I guess I didn't pay much attention to it.

#22 ·
I usually don't care what people write in these things cuz most of the people are clueless, but when I see someone actually correcting someone then people jumping on his back and saying he is wrong.. I stop what I am doing sign up and pick a screen name. If anybody dribbles over there shoulders it is a carry. Just like when someone palms the ball it's a carry.. Then I seen some on write they don't call traveling no more they let them take two steps for whatever he said..I agree they really don't call traveling anymore but you could always take two steps.. actually watch or play a game and see someone goin in for a layup or a dunk.. if you knew how to play basketball you would know when you go up on the right side of the basket you jump off your left foot if your on the left side of the basket you go up on your right foot.....

I'm not gona even start to get into the hop step... but for you ignorant people out there keep your mouth shut and give your thumbs a rest.

#31 ·
You're wrong. Wrong wrong WRONG wrong... Wrong WRONG wrong WRONG.

Just wanted to make that abundantly clear.

http://www.juneau.org/parkrec/adult/documents/2011-12nfhsrulesbook.pdf

National Federation of State High School Associations rulebook. I can't find anything more recent than 11-12, but on their website's page for changes in the rules to more recent additions I see nothing indicating a change in the rules on dribbling a basketball. Just because someone once told you something - does not mean it is right. I'm sure you were informed by some coach, official, or parent that you highly respect. But the fact is that that person was misinformed regarding the rules. Check that rulebook. At a high school level, as has already been mentioned about the college and NBA level... as long as you keep your hand above the ball, you're fine.

It is simply the truth. What you think is true is simply the basketball version of an Old Wives Tale (so... a Real Housewives of Atlanta tale?).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.