Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

What if the triangle had a great PG?

703 views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  Cajon 
#1 ·
I was thinking about this. What would be different? It's often said you don't NEED one, but what if you had one?

#3 ·
If PG was one of our stronger positions, you would just see the triangle revolve around them more. The PG would be running off the screen by the man in the pinch post (very high post) instead of the SG or SF that does it currently. He would be passing from the heart of the defense instead of the perimeter, and hopefully draining mid range shots when open.

The triangle gets penetration through passing, instead of one quick guard breaking off his man. It also aims to have everyone engaged in every play, and to have most players touch the ball, instead of the PG dominated drive and kick you see on a lot of other teams. So just because a greta PG is not needed in the triangle, doesnt mean that the triangle wouldnt work for a team with a great PG.

#4 ·
It would definiatly alter our offense and unless we're talking about a superstar type player I can't see them thriving. Obviously having Deron Williams or Chris Paul would make us a (much) better team, but it wouldn't be the 20/10 players that we've become accustomed to watching.

Then again, if we did get a hold of that kind of falicitator we would most likely stop running the triangle all toghether and run an offense that would benefit our new found playmakers.

#6 ·
Exactly. We don't run it every time down the court or even close to that often. But I think people worry too much about players being "triangle fits" anyways.

And of course a great point guard could work. I don't understand why people think it is a bad thing to have somebody who could take the pressure off Kobe and set him up for easy baskets.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.