Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

2012-2013 Dayton Flyers

105K views 909 replies 74 participants last post by  Flyer75 
#1 ·
Time to put the other thread to bed...turn to next season. Article in DDN today about building around Dillard next season. He's coming off a 13.3 and 6.0 season and looks to be the number #1 or #2 (Chaz Williams being the other) PG in the league next year.

http://www.daytondailynews.com/dayt...o-build-around-dillard-next-year-1345668.html

“Kevin Dillard, with a great offseason, will be able to hold his own against any guard in the country next year,” Miller said.

And the Flyers, who exceeded expectations by going 20-13 and reaching the postseason for the fifth straight year, likely will be able to surround him with an even better supporting cast.

Center Matt Kavanaugh, though limited defensively, had a breakout junior season. He averaged 9.0 points and 5.9 rebounds and was the only player in the league in the top 10 in field-goal percentage (54.6) and foul shooting (80.7).

Sophomore wing Devin Oliver averaged 9.6 points and 7.4 rebounds in a seven-game stint as a starter at the end of the season. And junior forward Josh Benson, who suffered a season-ending knee injury Dec. 30, averaged 10.9 points and 5.2 boards before being sidelined and is expected to make a full recovery.

“Vee to me is the most talented, gifted scorer on our team,” Miller said. “One of the things I look forward to is Vee making plays for others and himself where Kevin isn’t involved with every play. ... Both Matt and Vee both bring us an added dimension in scoring.

The Flyers finished 9-7 in the A-10 even without Benson, ending up in a tie for fifth. In six previous seasons, they produced a winning league record just once, and their average finish in that span was seventh.

“I thought our kids did an amazing job being coachable,” Miller said. “And I think we did have a really good year. It could have gone in a lot of different directions at different times.

“When we lost Josh ... that was a make-or-break deal for our team. I give them credit for their character level, and I thought our staff did a nice job to continue to morph our team in different ways to be successful.”

See less See more
#200 ·
I have seen several of those kids play. If Pierre is better than them, UD is getting a star. I'll take pretty good and be happy. I like that Kaza Keane kid's game a lot. Same thing with the 2 kids going to Mizzou, Webster-Chan and Jankovic. Both played for Huntington Prep. Going to be good.

#202 ·

SBA Shootout Recap (Crown Magazine Online - February 22, 2011)

The yearly SBA shootout always brings out solid talent and gives an opportunity to have first look at some of the under aprecaited players in the city and teams just outside the GTA. led by the talented duo of Justin Edwards and Dyshawn Pierre, Anderson CVI squeezed out the 85-84 Championship win over St. Marys.

Standouts:

Dyshawn Pierre - 6’5″ Forward, Anderson CVI - Class of 2012

There was no stopping Pierre all weekend, he was absolutely dominant, scoring the ball any way and whenever he wanted to. He’s a handful for opposing teams to deal with due to the fact that he plays hard every second of the game. Pierre has excellent footwork and is very creative scoring in the mid-range area. He also never gives up on a play, evidenced by the six rebounds he pulled down in the championship game off his missed attempts in one possession then, after finally scoring the basket on the possession, Pierre managed to steal the inbound pass and finish a tough and-one play. He put on a great 42-point performance to lead Anderson CVI to the Championship win over St. Marys, taking home MVP Honours in the process.

No. 10 Xavier Suffers Heartbreaking Loss at the Hands of No. 3 Baylor, 75-70 (Xavier University - March 23, 2012)

Whitby's Dyshawn Pierre Chooses Dayton Over Baylor (DurhamRegion.com - May 18, 2012)

Whitby's Dyshawn Pierre chooses Dayton over Baylor.

It seems more likely that Pierre, a six-foot-six, 210-pound forward, would be able to step right in and make an impact with the Flyers, who return three starters from last season's team that went 20-13, advanced to the National Invitation Tournament and won the 2011 Old Spice Classic.

"I'm hoping I can. It's all up to me really," Pierre said, when asked if he might start as a freshman. "I'll just work hard and depending on next year, hopefully I'll make an impact."

Pierre has certainly made an impact on the high school and national scene north of the border the past few years.

In helping Anderson to five straight LOSSA Championships and the two provincial titles, Pierre amassed a whopping 3,566 points in 187 games, or just under 20 points per game, and 1,793 rebounds, both school records to the best of coach Dean Hutchcroft's knowledge.

Pierre has also been a member of Canada's U17 and junior national teams, and was Canada's leading scorer at last summer's U19 World Championships in Latvia despite being one of the youngest players there.

"I've known him since he was about nine years old," said Hutchcroft, who began coaching him with the Whitby Wildcats club program. "He's an incredibly hard worker on the court, his focus, this gentleman is just a great kid all around and I think when it came down to it, the number of schools who were after him, were of that character: high class, good programs, solid coaching, solid schools."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For more about Dyshawn Pierre, please see the following posts:

Dyshawn Pierre Commits to Dayton (Muddy Waters, A10 MB Post - May 14, 2012)

More About Dyshawn Pierre (Muddy Waters, A10 MB Post - May 15, 2012)

#205 · (Edited)

I’m not going to count any chickens before they hatch, but it sure looks like 'The Curse of Jimmy Carter' will come to an end in 2013.

Xavier Musketeers 2012-13 Roster

Code:
[b]                                                       2011-12    
     Player            Cl. Position       Ht.   Wt.    PPG  RPG

1.  Redford, Brad     SR  Guard          6-1   182    3.2  0.7
 2.  Robinson, Jeff    SR  Forward        6-10  225    3.6  2.9
 3.  Taylor, Travis    SR  Forward        6-8   220    4.5  3.7

4.  Philmore, Isaiah  JR  Forward        6-8   230    ---  ---

5.  Davis, Dee        SO  Guard          6-0   160    1.9  0.6
 6.  Martin, Justin    SO  Forward        6-6   205    2.9  2.5

7.  Christon, Semaj   FR  Guard          6-3   182    ---  ---
 8.  Davis, Myles      FR  Guard          6-2   200    ---  --- 
 9.  Farr, James       FR  Forward        6-9   222    ---  ---
10.  Reynolds, Jalen   FR  Forward        6-9   220    ---  ---[/b]

Xavier Musketeers Possible Depth Chart (Position: starter, first off the bench at each position.)

C: Jeff Robinson, Jalen Reynolds, and James Farr.

PF: Isaiah Philmore, Travis Taylor, and James Farr.

SF: Justin Martin.

SG: Brad Redford, Myles Davis.

PG: Semaj Chrison, Dee Davis.​

Dayton Flyers 2012-13 Roster

Code:
    Player            Class      Pos.  Height  Weight    Hometown

1. [url=http://www.daytonflyers.com/mens/basketball/roster/?player_id=154]Matt Kavanaugh[/url]    Senior      C    6'-9"   250 lbs.  Centerville, OH
 2. [url=http://www.daytonflyers.com/mens/basketball/roster/?player_id=683]Alex Gavrilovic[/url]   Sophomore   C    6'-9"   246 lbs.  Strasbourg, France

3. [url=http://www.daytonflyers.com/mens/basketball/roster/?player_id=157]Josh Benson[/url]       RS Senior  PF    6'-9"   228 lbs.  Dayton, OH
 4. [url=http://www.daytonflyers.com/mens/basketball/roster/?player_id=935][b]Devon Scott[/b][/url]       Freshman   PF    6'-9"   215 lbs.  Columbus, OH

5. [url=http://www.daytonflyers.com/mens/basketball/roster/?player_id=933][b]Jalen Robinson[/b][/url]    Freshman   CF    6'-9"   243 lbs.  Columbus, OH
 6. [url=http://www.daytonflyers.com/mens/basketball/roster/?player_id=495]Devin Oliver[/url]      Junior     CF    6'-7"   225 lbs.  Kalamazoo, MI

7. [url=http://www.daytonflyers.com/mens/basketball/roster/?player_id=767]Matt Derenbecker[/url]  RS Soph. SF/SG   6'-7"   215 lbs.  Metairie, LA
 8. [url=http://www.daytonflyers.com/mens/basketball/roster/?player_id=934]Dyshawn Pierre[/url]    Fresh.   SF/SG   6'-6"   210 lbs.  Whitby, Ontario 

9. [url=http://www.daytonflyers.com/mens/basketball/roster/?player_id=936][b]Jordan Sibert[/url]     RS Soph.   SG    6'-4"   187 lbs.  Cincinnati, OH [color=navy](Will sit out 2012-13 season.)[/color]
10. [url=http://www.daytonflyers.com/mens/basketball/roster/?player_id=684]Vee Sanford[/url]       RS Junior  CG    6'-3"   192 lbs.  Lexington, KY  

11. [url=http://www.daytonflyers.com/mens/basketball/roster/?player_id=498]Kevin Dillard[/url]     RS Senior  PG    6'-0"   182 lbs.  Homewood, IL 
12. [url=http://www.daytonflyers.com/mens/basketball/roster/?player_id=932]Khari Price[/url]       Freshman   PG    5'-11"  170 lbs.  Slidell, LA

Scholarships presently available for a Spring 2013 Division I transfer = 1.[/b]

Dayton Flyers Probable Depth Chart* (Position: starter, first off the bench at each position.)

C: Matt Kavanaugh, Alex Gavrilovic, Josh Benson, and Devon Scott.

PF: Josh Benson, Devin Oliver, Devon Scott, Jalen Robinson, and Alex Gavrilovic.

SF: Matt Derenbecker, Jalen Robinson, Devin Oliver, and Dyshawn Pierre.

SG: Vee Sanford, Dyshawn Pierre, and Matt Derenbecker.

PG: Kevin Dillard, Khari Price, and Vee Sanford.

* Reserve roles will likely vary, depending on heights and strengths of opponents' players at each position.​

Dayton Flyers Roster Sorted By Graduating Class

Code:
[b][u]Seniors - UD Class of 2013[/u]

1. Josh Benson       PF    6'-9"   228 lbs.  (2011-12: averaged 10.9 points and 5.2 rebounds)*
2. Matt Kavanaugh     C    6'-9"   250 lbs.  (2011-12: averaged  9.0 points and 5.9 rebounds)
3. Kevin Dillard     PG    6'-0"   182 lbs.  (2011-12: averaged 13.3 points and 6.0 assists)
 * Josh Benson missed all 16 A10 games, the A10 Tournament, and the NIT due to a knee injury.    

[u]Juniors - UD Class of 2014[/u]

1. Devin Oliver      CF    6'-7"   225 lbs.  (2011-12: averaged  4.9 points and 5.0 rebounds)
2. Vee Sanford       CG    6'-3"   196 lbs.  (2011-12: sat out transfer year)

[u]Sophomores - UD Class of 2015[/u]

1. Alex Gavrilovic    C    6'-9"   246 lbs.  (2011-12: averaged  4.0 points and 2.8 rebounds)
2. Matt Derenbecker SF/SG  6'-7"   215 lbs.  (2011-12: sat out transfer year)
3. Jordan Sibert     SG    6'-4"   187 lbs.  (2011-12: averaged  3.0 points and 1.4 rebounds) 

[u]Freshmen - UD Class of 2016[/u]

1. Devon Scott       PF    6'-9"   215 lbs.  (2011-12: averaged 18 points and 12 rebounds)   
2. Jalen Robinson    CF    6'-9"   243 lbs.  (2011-12: averaged 19 points and 11 rebounds)
3. Dyshawn Pierre  SF/SG   6'-6"   210 lbs.  (2011-12: averaged 20+ points and 10+ rebounds)
4. Khari Price       PG    5'-11"  170 lbs.  (2011-12: averaged 18 points and 5.6 assists)[/b]

Dayton Flyers 2011-12 Sortable Stats (Yahoo!)

#207 ·
Interesting weekend for UD with Pierre and Taylor supposed to decide this weekend.
UD Basketball Could Land Talented Forward (Doug Harris, DDN - May 11, 2012)

Ryan Taylor may choose between four offers this weekend, coach says.

Handley said the 6-foot-6 forward is choosing between Dayton, Cincinnati, Arkansas and West Virginia and probably will decide this weekend.

"Dayton is definitely high on the list," Handley said.

The Flyers, who have two scholarships available, need help in the backcourt next season and might be willing to wait an additional year for Taylor if they can sign another guard.

The Flyers still have several senior guards they’re actively pursuing.

Archie Miller and Dyshawn Pierre made their choice before Ryan Taylor made his.

Marshall Inks Taylor for 2012-13 (Marshall University - May 16, 2012)

Taylor shined at Hargrave Military Academy last season

HUNTINGTON, W.Va. - Marshall men's basketball coach Tom Herrion has announced the signing of Ryan Taylor to a National Letter of Intent.

Taylor joins Kareem Canty, Tamron Manning, Elijah Pittman and D.D. Scarver as players that have signed to play for the 2012-13 season.

Loop Added to Men's Basketball Roster (Marshall University - August 28, 2012)

Marshall adds area product as walk-on

HUNTINGTON, W.Va. - Austin Loop, a 6-4 shooting guard from South Webster, Ohio, was added to the Marshall men's basketball roster Tuesday.

The addition of Loop means there will be five newcomers eligible to play beginning this fall.

The other newcomers are Kareem Canty (Fr.), Tamron Manning (Fr.), Elijah Pittman (Jr.) and D.D. Scarver (Jr.).

Marshall Thundering Herd 2012-13 Roster (Marshall University - updated August 28, 2012)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There has been no mention of Ryan Taylor anywhere since May 16, 2012.

From what I have read, Ryan Taylor was a much better student than Chris Thomas.

#215 ·
Dez was never charged with any sex crime charge.
Grand jury failed to return indictment; sort of exonerated him.

This guy? Not sure what happened.

(Assume you grasp the poking fun aspect here? It's the tinfoil stuff.)

#217 ·
Hey Muddy,

Just curious, any particular reason why you think Devin Oliver will back up Josh Benson at PF and Jalen Robinson will back up Derenbecker at SF?

I know there has been talk of Robinson transitioning to SF, but he played on the interior in HS. He also weighs in at 243 (is this all "good" weight?), which seems far to big to chase small forwards around the perimeter.

Perhaps more importantly, I would be really surprised if Derenbecker started over Oliver. Oliver is a veteran on our team who really finished last year strong. He is maybe our best defender and most versatile player, which, I recognize, makes him a good candidate for the 6th man role. But, without looking, I can't imagine Derenbecker had a stretch of performances in his time at LSU like Devin's last year. Not to mention, LSU (though a BCS school) is not as good as UD.

Now that he is a confident player, I think the sky is the limit for Oliver.

#219 ·
Muddy, I must disagree with you on many levels.

1) Jalen Robinson wants to play SF.

What he wants and what he is capable of doing are not the same thing. He wants to play SF because he sees his future NBA prospects being best served by playing SF. But he is 243 pounds and has never played SF before. What makes you think he is going to step on the court and play SF at the division 1 level as a freshman?

In my opinion, it is far more likely that he is developed in the mold of Josh Duncan or Justin Doellman, who might line up at 4 and, most importantly, defend power forwards, but have skilled and diverse offensive games. As he grows into his body and develops, maybe he will transition to the 3. But in college basketball, a 6'9 243 pound player usually plays an interior position. If he has perimeter skills, all the better. He will still have plenty of opportunity to step out and show them off.

2) 'Downsizing' Pierre, Robinson, and Scott

I think it is more likely that we go small and skilled than traditional 'BCS big,' as this lineup would indicate. This would be a very large lineup but it would also be quite slow and without quality ball handling.

I think Devon Scott is going to play under the basket. I think the future vision is Pierre and Robinson playing the 3 and the 4 as semi-interchangeable parts on offense, much like Justin Cage and Justin Doellman did (sorry for the X frames of reference). I think Archie will always want to have 2 do-it-all guards on the court. Pierre at the 2 would not fit that norm.

Keep in mind that Robinson and Scott have more immediate minutes available under the basket. We have Oliver and Derenbecker who play small forward already and neither are seniors. At the 4 and 5, there are minutes to be had after this year. Only Gavrilovic returns.

Also, on the same day that you apparently clarified your point on this message board, March 17, Northland coach Sean Taylor disagreed. In the DDN, he suggested that he expects his HS studs to play as 'bigs' at Dayton:

Taylor said his two stars can help UD immediately.

“I’m a Dayton guy and I root for the Flyers, always have. I’m really excited for them to get a couple 6-8 bookends who can really do a lot, are really versatile on both ends,” he said.

“(The Flyers) always had the wings and perimeter players and guard play, but were missing that big athletic guy who could intimidate and block shots and run the floor. And that’s what they’re going to be getting in these two guys.”

3) Devin Oliver will play PF because he is 6'7 and so is Erv Giddings

Devin Oliver grew as a player at the end of last year. The clutch minutes he played cannot be replicated in practice. He is finally comfortable in his own shoes. I think he remembers how it feels to be left open at the 3 point line and missing and doesn't want to feel that way again. He has always been a 'plus' rebounder, defender and - for his size - ballhandler. He has much more quickness than Robinson.

I think Devin will spend some time guarding '4s' because I think Archie is going to play his versatile players and not peg them to a position as much as you are trying to. Also, I think he will guard some 4s because it sounds like Pierre might command some minutes right away.

4) Derenbecker will start

Flyer fans think MDB will start because he started half a season on a terrible LSU team. It is romanticized because they are a BCS program. But we were better than them. I hope Derenbecker is great, but I think people are putting too much stock into starting for a bad SEC team.

I understand the idea that Oliver is a perfect sixth man. He is versatile, a good defender, and I think he will be a leader on this team. But, Derenbecker likes to put it up, so could serve in a bit of a 'microwave' role for us. Also, I think he could be the primary back up at the 2 & 3, because we are thinner in the backcourt than at the 3. Either way, I think Derenbecker and Oliver will both play more than half the game.

#221 · (Edited)
I've been Devin Oliver's biggest fan, and I think he is going to be a major contributor as an upperclassman but I think Derenbecker will start over him, and it's because of Oliver's versatility. Oliver can give you minutes at the 2, 3, and 4 positions. He's the prototypical sixth man. Starting would perhaps pigeonhole his game into a specific role, and I think that would lessen his impact.

Derenbecker seems ideally suited to play the 3 for this team. Let's be honest, there is one shooting guard on the roster. Pierre will get a look, and Oliver will see a lot of the minutes when Sanford is resting. That leaves Derenbecker to be the SF pretty much the entire 25 or so minutes he will likely get.

I do think that Jalen Robinson will eventually play on the perimeter a bit, but I highly doubt it will be this year. Archie seems like the type to give his freshmen one role in games, and let the development take place in the practice gym. Stark contrast from BG, who seemed to think everyone showed up to campus knowing how to play basketball and turned them loose from day 1. Archie's way is quite a bit better.

It's possible that Robinson shows up ready to contribute all the way out to 20 feet, but I wouldn't count on it. I think he shares backup PF minutes with Scott. You will see his game grow when Archie can have a full offseason with him.

#222 ·
Muddy Waters;6940399 [b said:
. . .[/b] but some new information has become available since May 17th.

During the Flyers' coached practices this summer, a lot of good news emerged:

(1) Matt Derenbecker and Vee Sanford shot the ball exceptionally well.

(2) Devin Oliver may be the most-improved player on the team.

(3) If it wasn't Oliver, it was Kevin Dillard.

(4) Dyshawn Pierre was hitting his jump shots and showed good range.

(5) Archie Miller was using multiple players at multiple positions.​
Guess it never occurred to you who they were practicing against - dayton's 2nd/3rd teams!

I hope Matt can put down the pot this year and concentrate.

I see all the wonderful predictions on this offense. Only sure thing is Dilliard (transfer).

Last game I saw was their usual Ole' defense vs. a rebuilding Iowa club.

Typical, tho. Stars one and all until they actually have to play a decent team after the 10-2

bunniefest. They have a bunch more "LUKES" and nobody plays D.

#223 · (Edited)
Newsworthy series of tweets from John Rothstein, all quoting Archie. He says 10 or 11 teams will fight for 4 to 6 bids (about what we all think), and that Kevin Dillard is the tits (I'm paraphrasing Archie here). But the most interesting nuggets:

- Miller on his 2nd year coaching "The biggest thing now is players understand our language now. We've had 18 months to lay the ground work."

- Miller on Vee Sanford "He doesn't need people to get his own shot. He can put pressure on defenses."

- Miller on Josh Benson "He really understands the game. He's our best team defender. We need him be a 25 minute guy."

- Miller on Alex Gavrilovic "He put on 49 pounds. He showed moments offensively last year."

- Miller on Devon Scott "He's a mature freshman. He's got a chance to play early on."

- Miller on Khari Price "He's our Mighty Mouse type guy. He may have a chance to help right away bc of our back court."
If Gavrilovic really did gain 49lbs, which is an absurd amount of weight, Dayton will have two absolute brick walls inside. We'll see. Always leery of reported weight changes until you see the kid in person. I'm guessing he means 49lbs since he got on campus a year ago. 49lbs in six months would be ridiculous.

And if Devon Scott is ready to help from day 1, that could be three brick walls. I like the sound of that. This team got pushed around inside last year. Better interior defense will lead to much better all around defense.

#224 ·
I agree on the 49 lbs part, if he truely put 49 lbs on in 6 months, a good chunk of that almost has to be "bad" weight. Its not like the kid was Josh Benson skinny coming into college, he had decent size, although the strength appeared to be lacking at times like most college freshman. 49 lbs of muscle over the last 18 months could represent a huge body change. Something to watch for sure when we get our first live look.

If Benson can be a 25 minute man, I think that's mostly good just from the standpoint that it means he'd be mostly healthy at the start of the season.

Khari Price, seems like a backhanded complement...he has a chance to play, but only b/c our backcourt is so thin. I guess that is the way most fans think, and not surprised the coaches feel the same way, but interesting that Archie put the qualifier out there in a tweet.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.