Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

James Harden TRADED to Rockets

38K views 694 replies 62 participants last post by  kbdullah 
#1 ·
James Harden turned down a four-year, $52 million contract extension offer from the Oklahoma City Thunder.

Harden is seeking a maximum-level deal worth $60 million over four years.

The Thunder have until Wednesday to sign Harden to a contract extension or allow him the opportunity to become a restricted free agent on July 1.

Via Adrian Wojnarowski/Yahoo! Sports

#54 ·
Re: TWITTER: OKC sends James Harden to Houston for Kevin Martin

Good deal for OKC. They got a good return for Harden now in Martin, some great future pieces in Lamb, and the Toronto pick, can keep together the rest of their core, and perhaps most importantly, they don't have to deal with the speculation about Harden leaving all season. It's entirely possible that given events with superstar sign and trades in the past, and that Harden isn't a superstar, OKC might've been lucky to deal him for a first round pick this upcoming summer.

#57 ·

Good deal for OKC. They got a good return for Harden now in Martin, some great future pieces in Lamb, and the Toronto pick, can keep together the rest of their core, and perhaps most importantly, they don't have to deal with the speculation about Harden leaving all season. It's entirely possible that given events with superstar sign and trades in the past, and that Harden isn't a superstar, OKC might've been lucky to deal him for a first round pick this upcoming summer.
Isn't it nice for a team to just do the deal instead of letting it linger all season long ? This tells you OKC wants no distractions. Just focus on getting back to the finals.

#60 ·

That Raptors pick could seriously be a top 3 pick..What if OKC ends up with Noel or Zeller?
Sam Presti is laughing at the NBA right now.

OKC has the flexibility to make more moves now.

#59 ·
Re: OFFICIAL: OKC sends James Harden to Houston for Kevin Martin

If you're serious about winning a title this year it's a big step back. Harden was really their primary playmaker when he was on the court and playmaking is the largest weakness that team has. OKC's team assist and turnover numbers were already way too similar, now they are going to have a big problem in that area. Martin is the opposite of that. Maynor's status becomes a huge deal in my mind. I can't recall what his contract is or whether or not he's going to be good to go. Long term this is a great deal for the Thunder, but when you have Kevin Durant I don't know that you should be looking far down the line.

#97 ·

If you're serious about winning a title this year it's a big step back. Harden was really their primary playmaker when he was on the court and playmaking is the largest weakness that team has. OKC's team assist and turnover numbers were already way too similar, now they are going to have a big problem in that area. Martin is the opposite of that. Maynor's status becomes a huge deal in my mind. I can't recall what his contract is or whether or not he's going to be good to go. Long term this is a great deal for the Thunder, but when you have Kevin Durant I don't know that you should be looking far down the line.
Here we go overrating Harden again. I'm willing to say the Thunder won't be in any worse shape without him. They're deep.

#63 ·

Derrick Rose rule:

However, a player coming off his rookie scale contract is eligible to sign for 30% of the cap if he was voted to start in two All-Star Games, was named to an All-NBA Team twice, or was named MVP
Devil is in the details, NOFX. Same thing on the Bird rights as mentioned by EH in other thread.

#65 ·
Wow... Compare this to what Orlando got for Dwight.

#67 ·

Orlando should have gotten expiring deals to clear space or young prospects on rookie scale.

Orlando got neither. OKC got both.

#73 ·

NBADraft.net:

Rockets receive the Mavericks' 2013 first-round pick. (top 20 protected until 2017). via Lakers (Odom) (Jordan Hill trade) (Jordan Hill trade 03-15-12)
Houston Rockets receive the Raptors' 2013 first-round pick (Top 3 protected and 15-30 in 2013, top 2 protected and 15-30 in 2014 and '15, Top 1 protected and 15-30 in 2016 and '17, and unprotected in 2018. (Kyle Lowry trade) (Kyle Lowry trade 07-11-12)

#77 ·

NBADraft.net:
Ah. Still, getting one guaranteed lottery pick out of this is a good deal. Ideally for OKC the pick would be top 3 this year (and stay with Toronto), but end up in the 3-5 range for the loaded 2014 draft. Chances of that are slim though.

#74 ·

If the picks are unprotected, this is robbery. I read there might be a Charlotte 2nd round pick which is like a first round pick too.

#76 ·

I'd guess that the Toronto pick probably ends up around 8 to 12. They aren't going to more terrible than everyone in the East, but they won't be good either. A lot of the other bad Eastern Conference teams will be tanking after the season is a wash and since they don't have a pick to tank for they won't.

#78 ·
And..... bye bye Harden.

Link: The ESPN
Unable to work out an extension with James Harden, the Oklahoma City Thunder traded the Sixth Man of the Year to the Houston Rockets on Saturday night, breaking up the young core of the Western Conference champions.

The Thunder acquired guards Kevin Martin and Jeremy Lamb, two first-round picks and a second-round pick in the surprising deal that was completed Saturday night. Oklahoma City also sent center Cole Aldrich, and forwards Daequan Cook and Lazar Hayward to Houston.

Wednesday's deadline to extend Harden or allow him to become a restricted free agent next July had been hanging over the Thunder from the moment they reported to training camp.

Harden will become a free agent next summer if Houston doesn't sign him to an extension by Wednesday, but sources told ESPN.com's Marc Stein late Saturday the Rockets intend to sign the swingman to the max contract extension he was seeking from the Thunder before Wednesday's midnight deadline.

The Thunder offered Harden $55.5 million over four years -- $4.5 million less than the max deal Harden coveted and will get from the Rockets, sources told ESPN The Magazine's Chris Broussard.

"We wanted to sign James to an extension, but at the end of the day, these situations have to work for all those involved. Our ownership group again showed their commitment to the organization with several significant offers," Thunder general manager Sam Presti said in a statement.

#80 ·
Re: OFFICIAL: OKC sends James Harden to Houston for Kevin Martin, Lamb, picks galore

Horrible deal for Houston. Just horrible. Nice work Morey.

#83 ·
Re: OFFICIAL: OKC sends James Harden to Houston for Kevin Martin, Lamb, picks galore

Fear the Beard!!! It's going to be a fun season down in Houston.

#85 ·

Good deal for Okc? They are going to need to make some more moves now. As a Grizzlies fan, I love this deal both ways.

Also, I think Okc and other people are taking for granted how close they were to winning it all. To squander that based on $1 million per year is asinine IMO. They should have fought that fight with Ibaka. I am not saying Harden is some future great but he was a great fit. Not to many other players are going to not start and not bitch about it especially after you send the message that your sacrifice will not be honored by the franchise.

#93 ·

Good deal for Okc? They are going to need to make some more moves now. As a Grizzlies fan, I love this deal both ways.
the thunder couldn't pay to keep everyone. i still think westbrook should have been the guy to go but clearly they decided on harden. now they replace him with another high level scorer on an expiring deal, a talented rookie, and reasonable picks to add more talent where they need it.

#86 ·

Pretty good deal for Thunder, not great at all.

Rockets sent Raptors first round, Mavs first round and a 2nd round to Thunder. It is not much.

Rockets total team salaries = 40 million after the deal, highest paid player = $5 million

Rockets starters -
Omer Asik
Patrick Patterson
Chandler Parson
James Harden
Jeremy Lin

#87 ·

Harden has agreed to sign with Rockets for 4 years max before the deal.

One thing I completely don't understand is that you guys are discussing another team will sign him next summer.

#89 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.