4K views 187 replies 12 participants last post by  Jace 
#1 ·
Saturday, November 3, 2012 | 7:30 pm | TV: Sun Sports

@

Probable Starting Lineups

See less See more
#165 ·
Ethan J. Skolnick ‏@EthanJSkolnick
Shane Battier called a Ray Allen corner three "the most efficient shot in basketball."
I know he was sort of joking, but...
Couper Moorhead ‏@CoupNBA
Ray Allen, who had an effective field-goal percentage of 72.5 on corner threes last season, was open from that spot on the final possession.

Couper Moorhead ‏@CoupNBA
In other words, Ray Allen was a more efficient shooter on corner threes than LeBron James was at the rim last year.
That's freaking insane.

#166 ·
He actually wasn't joking. Both Coup and Haberstroh have said that Ray in the left corner is the most efficient spot based on eFG%. It's equivalent to an 86% shot from 2. I'm pretty sure one of them tweeted about it recently, if you want to scan their timelines. Might've been in one of Coup's recent articles, actually.

#167 · (Edited)
Werent we one of the worst from the corner 3? I seem to remember a chart talking about how much more effective we'd be from there now.

edit: Found it. Heat were actually over the NBA average from 3, but Ray Allen was at another level

Perfect chart for this game since his 1st 2 4th quarter 3's came from the right angle 3 and the game winner was in the corner.

#170 · (Edited)
King2Jesus!

42 points on 13-19 shooting in the first two games at the AAA for Ray Ray. Solid start. :D

Would love to be inside Riley's head for this game. From the matador D to the shot. "I'm such a G." << Probably his final thought.

Man, I remember watching Ray's press conference after we eliminated Boston, and he was adamant that he "still had a lot of basketball in these legs." It was so hard not to respect and admire him and the way he battled through the ankle issue, despite Doc even mentioning sitting him one game. He's surprised me a lot. That first half layup he had was ridic. I still don't know how he got it up there. Dying to see a better angle. So nice to have a weapon like that off the bench.

I remember the first time we played Boston's Big 3, and Cook had that steal and dunk on Posey. Afterwards Ray showered praise over Cook and said he saw some similar traits in him. Ironically, Ray seems to be doing what we always hoped we'd get, but seldom got, out of Dae, despite being 124 years older.

@DannyMartinez4 In their 10 minutes on the floor together, the Chalmers-Allen-Wade-James-Bosh lineup has an ORtg of 149.3. Fun.
Said all summer that lineup would be crazy potent. It'll only get better. Rio still looks rusty, and Wade and James haven't had signature games.

Seriously, though. Poor Bosh. Epic performance for him and Ray steals the show. :laugh:

#173 ·
Yeah, Wilbon was going crazy last night over CP3's 11ast/1 TO. LeBron had to 1up his boy. :lebron:

The rotation was really interesting tonight, with Joel making an unplanned but necessary, albeit clumsy, cameo after UD's ineptitude. Further, no Cole. Odd against a team with two PGs who are the team's main motor. Cole may've gotten abused in the post by Dre Miller, but he probably could've done a better job keeping up with Lawson. I love having Mike in the rotation, and he showed his ancillary benefits with the quick pass to Ray for the 3 in the 2nd half, as well as grabbing more boards in his 16 mins (3), than Lewis, UD, and Joel grabbed in a combined 27 mins (ZERO), but I don't love it being at the cost of all of Cole's minutes this early. I don't see why it such an issue to go 10-deep, seeing as the best coach in the league uses a 10-man rotation (Joel/UD played the part of guy tonight, essentially).

:laugh: Ray led the bench with 5 boards, and was the only bench player with a block. BEASTING.

I think some (myself included) were being a bit too harsh on Dwyane. The FG% wasn't lovely, but 4 blocks, 2 steals, and only 1 TO to go with his 4 assists is a solid contribution on a night when Bosh got Jurassic on fools and LeBron teased us by being one board shy of a trip-dub. Dwyane enticed us to declare him back with his look and performance in that Detroit game, but realistically, you have to accept the likelihood of a 2-steps-forward-1-step-back kind of rhythm for the early parts of the season. He warned us of this, saying not to expect the best of him until later in the season. My biggest concern was shot selection and TO's, and he at least shored up the latter for this game.

The bigman rotation is still uneasy to me. Here's where a Moultrie or Ezeli, shit, even the athleticism of a PJIII, would theoretically help on the boards against teams with bouncy bigs. So it goes. I think Spo's going to experiment with it a ton, seeing if Joel can fit what we're trying to do once he gets some rhythm. He'll probably also see if Pitt's youth and girth, to go along with his Wilt-like game compared to Joel, can help. And, of course, Jorts should get an opportunity at some point.

Had a funny thought when I saw a tweet from Juwan's wife after the game. I'm sure somewhere in the AAA he was sitting in his suit, thinking to himself, "Man, I can stop this. This team needs me." Delusional-ass mother****er. :rofl:

#175 · (Edited)
What I love is how easy it looks for him. He's clearly our steadiest offensive player amongst the Big 3, seeing as he has a reliable jumpshot and a matchup advantage against almost anyone guarding him, PF or C. He was already one of the fastest PF's in the league, and his agility is underrated.

Just occurred to me our "Big 4" combined for 97 points, despite poor %'s from our typically-over-50% Big 2. Don't know how a-typical that is, but it sounds impressive. :whoknows:

Well, if we consider Bynum or Garnett his main competition, Chris clearly has a leg up so far. We'll see how much the fans take notice, though. Not really sure who the biggest name after LeBron and Melo would be in the front court ahead of Bosh, but I still have my doubts the fans will recognize him. Leading the team in scoring so far should help. Gotta keep up the flow.

#176 ·
That last play is what I love about the team this year.

Let Lebron drive in an iso situation (where he's likely to score) or double him and leave Ray Ray open?

Pick your poison.

#179 ·
Mother**** anybody who tried to downplay the signing of Ray Allen.

Ray really seems to be all kinds of motivated this year he made that huge play fightin for that board that he passed off to Bosh which lead to the fast break play late in the fourth too.

Playin wit the best player on the planet is indescribable too

Sent from my iPhone using VS Free

#182 ·
Yeah that play was huge.

This game was so infuriating for large parts, but in the end we got it done.

Really need to fix our defense though...all teams we've played have killed us. Either inside (Nuggets) or outside (Knicks), or both (Celtics).

Hopefully Wade and Lebron can have a signature game soon too. Who'se next?

#188 · (Edited)
Just now getting to that Bosh video. Was hard to appreciate some of his shots due to all the stress over what was going on on the other end the whole game. The move around 4:10 is so sick. He really has shot-creating ability like a SF. Gasol seems to so often be his measuring stick due to their similar career arcs (both share the same career-high of 44, BTW), but Chris is so much more agile and skilled facing up.

Other thing I've noticed is some really nice looking sets we're running already. Lot of movement everywhere throwing off the D due to apparent confusion over whether or not to switch on screens and whatnot. At the end of the half, we ran the "Ray Allen Special," this time resulting in a Bosh dunk off a beautiful pass from LeBron. Spo seems to finally be figuring out ways to use everyone's strengths in the half court, often using Wade as an effective decoy, or having guys slip screens and roll to the basket. We saw a lot of standing around a la the last two seasons in NY, but this game seems drastically different. The offense doesn't seem far away from where it was in the Finals, which means we're way ahead of schedule. By the playoffs it should be pretty damn efficient.

@tomhaberstroh Accounting for the extra value of 3-ptrs, Ray Allen is effectively shooting 83 pct on jumpers this season. (via Synergy)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.