Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

UPDATE: Bynum could be out until early January

9K views 185 replies 30 participants last post by  LA68 
#1 ·
Andrew Bynum has an injury history, to put it lightly. He suffered multiple severe knee injuries and multiple surgeries, before having a fully healthy 2011-2012 campaign and establishing himself as the player he was hyped as for years. That injury factor lead in part to the Lakers' decision to upgrade him with Dwight Howard, and it was a precautionary note for the Sixers when they acquired him last week.

Now the Philadelphia Inquirer reports he's having some light surgical work done on the knee. But not until September. From the Inquirer:

OK, it's just non-invasive. And precautionary.

But it's just not how you want the Bynum era to start in Philadelphia.

The good news is about the context of the surgery. You may have noticed that word "German" and the name "Kobe Bryant' may have popped into your head. The Inquirer indeed notes it's the same procedure.

The procedure, known as Orthokine/Regenokine, will be performed by Dr. Peter Wehling. Bryant initially underwent the procedure to prevent the inevitable wearing down of his knee cartilage. The procedure is a derivation of platelet-rich plasma therapy, or PRP. The procedure, which is not yet performed in the United States, is less invasive than many, if not all, other forms of knee surgeries presently used.

According to the source, Bynum is not feeling any pain in his knees. However, the center wants to explore any options that will help to prolong the healthy status of his knees. According to the source, Bynum was so impressed with the results that Bryant experienced last season that he agreed that exploring the procedure was a viable option.

There's also a secondary issue. Why isn't the surgery coming sooner? It's likely simply the soonest it could be scheduled. But having it in September could complicate the start of his season. The process involves platelets and a treatment, then centrifuge, and a re-injection to the knee.
http://www.cbssports.com/nba/blog/e...o-have-kobe-treatment-in-germany-in-september
I'm glad this ship has sailed...

#161 ·
I don't think Bynum gets it though. I would go out and play this season even if it destroyed my knees for the rest of my life. With his shitty injury history, this is his last shot at a big contract. And if he can be anywhere around 20 and 10 some dumb team will max him out. Yet hes so dumb hes going to sit on the sidelines and still expect someone to pay him.

Hes an idiot.

#172 ·
http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/8771172/philadelphia-76ers-center-andrew-bynum-vows-return-season

PHILADELPHIA -- Andrew Bynum of the Philadelphia 76ers can start low-impact exercises such as riding a stationary bike as the first step of a six-part rehabilitation process for bone bruises in his knees, the All-Star center said Friday night.

Bynum said he had an encouraging exam Thursday, at which point the 7-footer was given permission to start the rehab.

There still is no date for a return, but Bynum vowed he will play this season.

"I'm confident I'll be on the court this season," said Bynum, who was acquired from the Los Angeles Lakers in a four-team trade before the season.

"The bone bruises are healed and the swelling is gone, so those two things are great. We're just waiting for mechanical issues to be resolved, and that's going to take anywhere from a month to two. I have no idea, but we're going to work toward grinding it out so it's not causing me any problems."

#173 ·
Well that's good news, hope nothing goes wrong he and he actually does end up playing soon.

#177 ·
Oh yea it'll definitely be a while before he actually plays, I predict we probably will see him in late February at the EARLIEST, if the 76ers are lucky.

#178 ·
If he can come back in February, I think the Sixers would be ecstatic given that some weren't expecting him to play at all. The 76ers right now are 1/2 game out of the 8th seed in the East and I expect they'll be in the top 8 soon. If he can come back for a couple of months, even a month, and the 76ers get into the playoffs, you never know what might happen. I don't think the Sixers would beat Miami or anything, but I could at the very least seeing them go into the 2nd round and possibly upsetting somebody (assuming they aren't the 8th seed).

#184 ·
I unfortunately think the Cavaliers are going to make a run at him, although I don't think the Cavs and Bynum will be on the same page in terms of the money Bynum wants.

#186 ·
Should be a poll: Who will play an NBA game first : Bynum or Oden ?

Always talked about but, never play

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.