Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

More BCS realignment

143K views 1K replies 144 participants last post by  Medford 
#1 ·
It's being reported all over that the Big Ten is in the process of inviting Rutgers and the University of Maryland into the conference.

The invites could take place as early as Monday.

Speculation from there includes the idea that the ACC would invite UConn to take the place of UM.

Needless to say, that may be all she wrote for the Big East.

#949 ·
I dont understand why DePaul and Providence are in any of these plans. They are horrible and add nothing. The size of the TV market is irrelevant if no one is tuning in -- and nobody in Chicago gives a hoot about DePaul. They play in a dump out by the airport. They are nearly as irrelevant in Chicago as LaSalle is in Philly or Fordham is in NYC.

Some of those BE7 schools need to be dropped.

#954 ·
A move is also not going to make it easier to schedule home and homes with BCS schools as I have seen assumed around the boards.

I am sorry but Florida and UCLA are not going to want to come to Dayton, Ohio.

#958 ·

Seven Schools Debating How To Go (Brett McMurphy, Andy Katz, and Dana O'Neil, ESPN - December 13, 2012, 7:45 PM ET)

The seven Catholic schools leaving should allow Notre Dame and Louisville to join Syracuse and Pitt in the ACC next season ahead of schedule, Irish coach Mike Brey said Thursday.

Notre Dame was supposed to stay in the Big East for a 27-month period, which could mean as long as the 2015 season. But the Irish have been negotiating an early exit.

Brey also said the discussion among the Catholic schools was to make it a national Catholic conference with Xavier, Saint Louis, Dayton, Creighton, Gonzaga and possibly Saint Mary's as well.

#967 ·
Everytime I make a future prediction based on logic, reason and intelligence, I keep forgetting that these guys are a bunch of freaking idiots.

The Milwaukee paper is reporting that hoops is saying screw it, and just going to bounce. Which is astronomically stupid. They have the hammer (power to dissolve) to not swing it is insane. Unless, I suppose, you sell the hammer instead.

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/goldeneagles/bigeast14-d7815om-183439151.html

#978 ·
#1. 8 of 11 is a two-thirds majority. So they'd need one more vote if Temple was a voting member.
#2. 7 of 10 is a two-thirds majority. They'd have that with just basketball schools.
#3. There's been dozens of conflicting reports on Temple's status, and seemingly no resolution. The latest ESPN report said Temple couldn't stop it.
#4. They could do all kinds of stuff WITH a 7-4 vote that would force football to leave/settle.
#5. Morons, the lot of them.
#6. I hope Xavier has good lawyers.

#972 ·
everyone has a source telling them something, why not just see what happens and talk about what happened instead of guessing

#979 ·
Adam Zagoria ‏@AdamZagoria
Big East source now says Catholics can't dissolve the league b/c at least two football and two basketball members must vote to dissolve.

Bylaws say two of the football memebers have to agree to dissolve. Doesnt have anything to do with fractions and mathy stuff

#988 ·
The prevalence of charter flights makes cross country trips not that bad. Without the security stuff you can get from seattle to pittsburgh in 8 hours at most. that is campus to hotel probably.

#999 ·
The first line of the article: "Marquette's new basketball-centric athletic conference will include 10 or 12 teams"

Third paragraph of the article: "Creighton, Virginia Commonwealth, Dayton or St. Louis could become the 10th team, or the conference could begin play with 12 teams if three schools vying for the 10th spot are all worthy candidates."

???

#992 ·
yeah marquette wants that really bad and is going to try to push it through by leaking stuff to the media. The AD there has already shown how big of a tool he is.

#994 ·
Jpschmack- not sure how to respond. I don't think I can respond to a message board user who honestly believes that he is smarter with regard to running an division 1 collegiate athletic program than the AD's of Georgetown, Marquette, Xavier, Villanova, Butler etc. It would appear you are next in line for the presidency of the NCAA.

As I mentioned in my previous post, Milwaukee media reporting Xavier and Butler will leave A-10 next season.

I'll give $500 to your favorite charity if without Temple, Xavier and Butler, the A-10 gets 4 bids to the NCAA. (As you said in a previous post, the A-10 only averages 3... and 2 out of those 3 are Xavier and Temple!!)

#1,011 ·
As I mentioned in my previous post, Milwaukee media reporting Xavier and Butler will leave A-10 next season.
As I mentioned, the same article doesn't say nine teams, it says 10 or 12 teams and specifically mentioned Dayton.

I'll give $500 to your favorite charity if without Temple, Xavier and Butler, the A-10 gets 4 bids to the NCAA. (As you said in a previous post, the A-10 only averages 3... and 2 out of those 3 are Xavier and Temple!!)
But I will ask again, where you came to your conclusions that the BE7+ conference including Georgetown, Marquette, Xavier, Butler, St Louis and Villanova could only muster 3-4 NCAA bids, but a crippled A-10 without Temple, Butler, St Louis and Xavier would earn an equally impressive 2-4 bids?
That wasn't a conclusion. I don't recall saying "a crippled A-10 without Temple, Butler, St Louis and Xavier would earn an equally impressive 2-4 bids" I recall saying if if we add George Mason, "we might get 2-4 bids ourselves."

The A-10 averages 3 bids per season. Since X joined the league, Temple and Xavier have accounted for less than half of those bids. If Dayton, Bona, URI, UMass, GW, SJU and Richmond* have brought over 1.6 bids per season in the last 17 years while members of the A-10, getting two bids a season is probably going to be routine if that's how this shakes out.

That also doesn't factor in Richmond, VCU and George Mason's CAA bids. I think VCU and George Mason can replace Xavier. After all, they've made it to the Final Four, and you haven't (ZING!).

(The A-10 also saw the average drop under their ridiculous OOC schedule policy in the 2000-2005 era -- Oh, forgive me. They're ADs and commissioners and I'm just a guy on a message board. That must have been brilliant scheduling policy!)

So why don't they just select and seed all the teams according to "the math on the printouts."
For the most part, they do: Teams 80 to 345 have never gotten an at-large bid.

#997 ·
But I will ask again, where you came to your conclusions that the BE7+ conference including Georgetown, Marquette, Xavier, Butler, St Louis and Villanova could only muster 3-4 NCAA bids, but a crippled A-10 without Temple, Butler, St Louis and Xavier would earn an equally impressive 2-4 bids?

#998 ·
If milwaukee media types are anything like pittsburgh media types they know jack sh*t and are awful biased reporters. Until you hear national types confirming it, it is just talk.

#1,002 ·
Yep...and Woods did the same thing with conference realignment the last time around. He's just re-tweeting anything regarding Butler because he covers Butler.

All that said, I have no doubt both schools will be at the top of any list the Catholics want. The Big East schools haven't even decided yet how they are going to leave, so I very much doubt they have a 9 member basketball conference ready to play next year.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.