Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

Best Player To Wear #3?

Best Player to Wear #3?

5K views 104 replies 26 participants last post by  Jace 
#1 ·
I'm skipping #2 because it's quite obviously Moses Malone. Nobody else is really in contention. #3 will be a lot more interesting:

Allen Iverson
Chris Paul
Dwyane Wade
Ben Wallace
Dale Ellis
Other (Please Specify)

00/0 - Robert Parish
1 - Tracy McGrady
2 - Moses Malone

#5 ·
Clearly it's Wade. AI's MVP was...well, let's not get into that. This is another one where FG% plays a big role. Wade, LeBron, AI, and Jordan are the only players post-merger to average 30+ pts and 7+ assists in a season. AI is the only one who has done it twice, but he averaged the most minutes (43/42, compared to 40/40/38.6 for Jordan, James, and Wade, respectively). Most importantly, AI is the only one who did it shooting under 45% from the field (44.7, 42.4). Jordan, James, and Wade shot 53.8, 48.4, and 49.1, respectively. I don't know much about win shares or pay them much mind, but needless to say, those three rated significantly higher than Iverson in those seasons.

#10 ·
Marbury, the conversation begins and ends with the answer being Steph.

#12 ·
I wouldn't argue with AI or Wade. I feel like Im prone to pick AI because he was the face of my generation growing up as my love for basketball really developed but Wade has two rings....AI never played with a Shaq or LeBron in his life though.

Not casting a vote at this second.

#13 ·
Would any other NBA player be this excited to be playing in China for the championship? Pure love for the game right here.

#17 ·
I love it when Heat fans try to belittle Shaq's influence/pretend like they would have won the '06 championship if it wasn't for the big fella.

This is still probably Wade though, at least as far as impact on the court. If we're talking about overall influence then it's Iverson and this isn't even a real debate.

#20 ·
Yes, it's called the 2004 US Olympic basketball team.

#22 ·
Yeah, a shell of his former self that was less than a year removed from finishing runner up in an MVP race that he should of won and was fresh off yet another all NBA first team. Not trying to belittle D-Wade here, dude was easily a top five player in '06, but that's one hell of a shell.

#24 ·
Payton was definitely not instrumental. He held us back. The only reason he had to hit those huge shots in games 3 & 5 was because he was playing like the worst backup PG in the league during the postseason, after a decent regular season. Had he produced to the level of the 2nd or 3rd worst, we wouldn't have needed those big shots.

Yeah, a shell of his former self that was less than a year removed from finishing runner up in an MVP race that he should of won and was fresh off yet another all NBA first team. Not trying to belittle D-Wade here, dude was easily a top five player in '06, but that's one hell of a shell.
:cosby:

He could've been a year removed from winning 6 MVPs in one season, but he clearly wasn't playing near the top of his game. The fall off was pretty precipitous. He made me flat out sad a lot of nights. Growing up, his was the only jersey I ever bought other than my 11 Jordan jerseys. Seeing him fall so hard, and on my team no less, was painful.

I don't know what percentage of peak production someone must max at to qualify as a "shell," but if that doesn't work for you semantically, can I just say he was nowhere near peak efficacy?

#30 ·
And Russell Westbrook misses the wide open 3 to ice it

Sent from my iPhone using VS Free

#39 ·
Iverson gets overrated because of how lopsided the conferences were for a while. Move the Kings, Timberwolves, and Blazers from '99-'03 to the East and leave the Lakers, Spurs, and Mavs out West and Iverson's a guy who scored a ton of points on teams that lost in the first round every year(a higher-caliber Marbury, if you will).

Wade gets a little too much credit as well, but not as bad as Iverson.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.