Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

OT - Marqus signs in Phillipines

14K views 106 replies 26 participants last post by  el gato mount 
#1 ·
#61 ·
Pretty stupid. Not going to act like that's uncommon, but if you want to be paid like a pro need to act like one.

Somewhat humorous, looks like the team that waived him for failing the test called up his new team- which is in the same league- and ratted him out to his new employer. Fair enough, they were probably pissed to see that lol.

Hopefully the Lesson Learned:

Keep your mind on your money and your money on your mind. Always.

#63 ·
Pretty stupid. Not going to act like that's uncommon, but if you want to be paid like a pro need to act like one.

Somewhat humorous, looks like the team that waived him for failing the test called up his new team- which is in the same league- and ratted him out to his new employer. Fair enough, they were probably pissed to see that lol.

Hopefully the Lesson Learned:

Keep your mind on your money and your money on your mind. Always.
Pretty much my thoughts on the matter. Unfortunate, but UVMHC nails it on the head, gotta be smarter than that if you think there's even a chance of a drug test coming in your future. Will be interesting to see where he goes now. Clearly not the best last 6 months for him, getting cut last by the clippers again, and now shooting himself in the foot with this whole fiasco.

#67 · (Edited)
Latest news:

Blakely passed an in competition drug test while playing for Neckar. Because of all the rumors, the league / authorities felt the need to break with protocol and give test results publicly.

Blakely and his agent are considering action against Telekom Baskets Bonn for leaking his original test result (huge violation of privacy laws)

#70 ·
#72 ·
Looks like Marqus is going to be doing some summer league action with the Timberwolves.

http://www.sportando.net/eng/usa/nb...-will-play-nba-summer-league-with-wolves.html

For A little social experiment, I posted on the Celtics Facebook Page. https://www.facebook.com/bostonceltics They just released Terrence Williams. If you go to that post and look at the comments, I posted a comment telling them to "Sign Marqus Blakely #marqusblakely" do a CTRL F search for marqus and then like my comment! Let's get it to the top!

#75 ·
Great news, will give me a reason to check out the Summer League. Hopefully Marqus impresses enough to get an invite somewhere to training camp- preferably with a team that will not be very good- like the Timberwolves.

For any team vying for Andrew Wiggins and want to tank/rebuild, signing someone like Marqus actually makes a lot of sense (Celtics).

#85 ·
Unless Blakely develops a perimeter game the NBA is pretty much a pipe dream. As athletic as he is, there's simply no room for a 6'5" Forward in the NBA.

#88 · (Edited)
Yeah, I think Marqus has had plenty of chances- the only way he's going to make it in the NBA is if he becomes a guard- and after spending his entire HS and College basketball-life playing inside, back-to-basket, I just don't see how someone who has borderline-NBA ability as it is makes that jump....ie ability to shoot off the dribble, put the ball on the floor against tight D, etc. Marqus cannot really do either of those things. Those are two fundamental things you need to be able to do to play the 2/3 in the NBA- unless you're Courtney Lee (Celtics joke :) )You better be able to shoot and dribble.

The Wizards are trying to play Otto Porter at SG- kid is lost the first few games. The Magic are going to try playing Victor Oladipo at PG- will see how that goes. And both Porter/Oladipo have NBA ability and I bet they struggle at those new positions.

You don't have to look very far to find a very familiar point of reference- John Holland, who is same size as Blakely but is a SG, has great height for a SG- he's still with Minnesota Timberwolves and was very productive in their first game.

#91 ·
Marqus involved in a brawl while playing in Asia

PBA BRAWL Kelly Nabong vs Marc Pingris,Marqus Blakely vs Marvin Hayes - YouTube

From what I saw Marqus (#23) was fighting for a rebound got tackled and took issue with the other player elbowing him in the head and then stepping over him. It just escalates from there. Unfortunate
I mean, the whole brawl seems to result from Blakely having his arm wrapped around a defenders neck after jockeying for positioning for the rebound and then taking that player down (by the neck)... Blakely was the one "tackling" looking at the video.

#92 ·
Pretty textbook overreaction from the player that got tangled up with Marqus on the rebound then "taken down". I've seen players land like that fighting for rebounds all the time with no reaction- but maybe people are already agitated since they're playing pro basketball in the Phillipines- which as an aside, I'm sure Marqus is cashing a nice check but that basketball looks like it sucks.

Calling it a "brawl" is also a stretch. Looked like a couple knuckle heads got into it but then were quickly restrained.

#94 ·
Blakely is the PERFECT player to annihilate the Philippines because of their height restrictions (which they seam to sometimes waive on some years and enforce on others), where either 6'5" or 6'6" is the max height...

Worth noting one year Rashad Bell played over there and averaged something stupid like 38 points per game for a span.

#95 ·
Marqus' stats from the Philipines are basically irrelevant.

I saw this post bumped I was hoping it was to say which NBA team Marqus was headed to training camp with.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.