Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

Game Thread: Dayton @ La Salle (Wednesday 1/16/13)

5K views 74 replies 27 participants last post by  TheCobra 
#1 ·
Dayton

vs

La Salle

Records: Dayton (10-6, 0-2 A 10) / La Salle (11-4, 1-1 A 10)
Game time: 7PM EST
TV: FoxSports Ohio
Radio: Dayton 95.7 FM 1290 AM / La Salle 990 AM
Websites: Dayton / La Salle

See less See more
#5 ·
Both teams need this one. La Salle has 3 tough games after this (@X, Butler, @VCU), so 1-5 start is not out of the question if they lose here. Dayton's next couple games are easier, but still hope to avoid a disheartening 0-3 start to conference play.

Should be an interesting game to watch.

#6 ·
Big Game for both Teams. The next four games for La Salle will show if they are a top tier or second tier team in this league (UD,@X,Butler,@VCU). This game is by far the most winable and could give some momentum going to X. Galloway has been playing injured the last few games for La Salle and that seems to have affected his shooting (11-44) from the field his last 3 games. It will be interesting to see if he can find his stroke and stay out of foul trouble. If he does I think the athleticism and quickness of the La Salle guards will be able to offset the disadvantages they have inside the paint with the big men.

#8 ·
Well I think it is clear La Salle is not a top tier team in the A-10 this season.

This game, absolutely, plays to La Salle getting the result. Home game for them and Dayton, for whatever reason, seems to play a guard/shooter-based offense except that is exactly what they lack. You are correct La Salle has the advantage with guard play and depth at that position. Also, Dayton does have the better depth in the front court. Should be a good game but this result will be largely situated around whether Dayton can knock down a shot from the perimeter.

#11 ·
I hear you, but Dayton is not a team with an inside presence, or the type of team to get two bigs into foul trouble. Oliver and Benson allow themselves to be guarded by smaller guys without issue. Freshman Jalen Robinson might be able to push some people around, but I think this game is going to be won on perimeter.

I am surprised to see Mills is only scoring 7ppg this year. I was very impressed by him last year.

#12 ·
Mills has struggled shooting since a sprained thumb injury he suffered right before christmas. Also, the addition of Ty Garland has changed mills role, he still gets his minutes and is a great on ball defender (held Darien brothers to 1-6 beyond the arc last game), but he doesnt need to score as much because of the spark garland can bring from the bench causing mills to shoot and score less.

#13 ·
I really like Mills. I imagine he still finds ways to contribute, as you suggest. I remember him being very smart, patient, and an excellent shooter. I hope he doesn't find his touch until Saturday. ;) It sounds like Garland has filled Pettis' role nicely.

As for Dayton, unless they start playing smarter it will be a long conference season. The older players - Dillard, Oliver, Sanford and Benson - are the ones making mistakes. Dillard and Benson are both ball stoppers on offense, and are forcing the issue too often. I hope Oliver was taking notes of the way Roosevelt Jones played Sat and tries to emulate him, but he is taking shots he isn't comfortable taking right now. Sanford is doing good most of the time, but not enough of the time.

The freshmen, particularly Price, Pierre, and Robinson, are locked in. They played hard and smart on both ends for the most part during both conference games. The coaching staff needs to do whatever it can to get Pierre more shots, because he can knock down a variety of shots consistently. Price plays strong, consistent defense, and can make open jump shots on offense. He more than held his own against Butler. Both of these guys play smarter than the older players. Robinson has his flaws but should probably be starting over Benson, who is struggling and not a center.

#14 ·
It should be a good contest. To bad most of the La Salle fans dont realize the impact they can have by filling the arena against a good opponent like dayton. It will most likely be 2000 fans even for a big conference game like this. The attendance problem for lasalle is sad in such a great basketball city with solid competition almost all year.

#27 ·
I will bet you 10000 Stanley nickles that it will be close to sold out tonight. The Richmond and UPENN games both were at about 70% capacity with literally less than 10 students at each game due to the break. Plus there will be a smattering of red in the building as those Flyers love to travel, even to North Philly.

The lack of support comes from the alums, not the students (who show up in greater numbers than people realize). 20 years of losing will do that plain and simple.

#15 · (Edited)
The problem is, Oliver has to take the shots he is taking. It's a product of his position and role within the offense. Teams shift away from him and the only way to keep them honest is to take and make the shots. Butler did it to near perfection a few times, leaving the only available shot in the hands of Oliver in the corner. He didn't have a choice but to shoot.

The obvious fix is to play Oliver in a true post role alongside Robinson, putting Benson in a backup role, and allowing him to set screens and roll to the hoop. That would either stop the doubles on Dillard, or leave a gaping hole in the defense for Oliver to attack on the roll. I just don't think Archie will do it. He seems pretty intent on Benson.

#16 ·
I don't quite understand that. I think La Salle has about the same number of undergraduates as X (4,500?) yet they play in a gym smaller than Wofford's. Is it just because there are so many Div 1 programs in close proximity?

#18 ·
That isnt an excuse though and yes about the same enrollment as Xavier. The problem is La Salle Athletic department does not do a great job of advertising or trying to get the city to watch lasalle basketball. Ticket price are good (10$/$15 depending on seat.) And students receive free tickets to each game. For a gym that is under 20 years old, Gola offers a very poor college atmosphere 3,400 seats with none on the baseline and mostly bleacher seating. In the last two years they have only 3 sellouts, both homecoming games and the thriller last Feb vs Temple. We couldnt even draw a full crowd for our NIT game vs Minnesota. For a team that plays competitive exciting basketball it is very discouraging as a true fan. They don't need a bigger gym, there are just many ways to improve Gola and the overall experience. I have been to several other small level arena's, and for me the best was Bucknell's, that is the way to build a small arena

#19 ·
I hear what you are saying about Oliver taking 3s and I don't disagree. But Devin is better off seeking contact and shooting on the move than taking the open jump shot. Just because teams don't close out hard does not mean you cannot drive past them or drive to a place you are comfortable and shoot over the top. Devin is big and strong enough to pass on the open J and go at the rim. I think that's what he should do more often.

Also, I think Devin should not take any 3s until after he has made a 2 pointer. He has such flighty confidence that he is much more likely to make it if he has seen the ball go in the hoop.

#20 · (Edited)
Confidence has always been his biggest issue. His mechanics are good, he rarely throws up a brick, he's just an inch off most of the time.

As for driving, his ball handling still limits him. He can handle it well in a straight line, but he can't move laterally with the ball. No crossover, a marginal spin, and I've never seen a euro step from him. If he can't beat a defender to the initial spot, he won't get past him.

He's just limited in his offensive role. The best thing they can do is to play small, but it's really hard to win at this level with a front line of 6'7" and 6'8". Coaches are very reluctant to bench a 6'10" senior. I'd love to see Devon Scott get some of Benson's minutes.

As it stands, Vee Sanford is the most important player. Needs to become a 30+ minute per game consistent performer. Can't just be a one half guy. Would take a ton of pressure off Dillard and allow all 5 on the floor to get the spacing needed to torch a defense.

#24 ·
Treys are bad shots for Oliver. Any jumpshot is. Its not a good shot if you are incapable of making it. Doesnt matter how wide open you are. Oliver needs to stop shooting shots hes not capable of making with any regularity. Just because he *should* be able to make it, doesnt make it a good shot for that specific player. London Warren should have been able to make 10ft shots too, but he was not. A good shot for any player is a shot they can realistically make 4-5 times out of 10.

#25 ·
I can see both sides of the Oliver thing, but, in my opinion, his 3s are not the problem or the solution. He is going to continue to be a key cog, as he should be, as the league's leading rebounder. But Devin missing free throws is really starting to hurt. He has a choice whether to continue to take 3s, but he has no choice but to take free throws.

For me, for us to go on a run, it will be because Dillard and Benson play smarter and better (or less). We need to get more shots for Pierre, too.

#30 ·
Gut check time for UD. 0-3 could lead to loss of confidence. I agree with those who think the Flyers would be better suited with Benson coming off the bench. Like to see what Scott could do with more minutes. he may not be the answer, but he wont get pushed around. Oliver and Dillard need to play to their strengths and not try to do more than they are capable of. May be time for Pierre and Sanford to be a little more aggressive on offense. Defense needs to keep up intensity on every possession.

#35 ·
If Dayton takes care of the ball after half, they will win.

Really good minutes from all 4 freshmen tonight. I think Devon Scott is in the rotation to stay. At least I hope. Playing well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.