Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

2013 Draft Battle: Noel, Zeller, Len & Austin

2K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  Mrs. Thang 
#1 ·
The 2013 draft has four young (freshman or sophomore) college centers who appear to have separated themselves from the other big men.

Nerlens Noel - http://www.basketballforum.com/prospect-profiles/477665-nerlens-noel.html
Alex Len - http://www.basketballforum.com/prospect-profiles/477801-alex-len.html
Cody Zeller - http://www.basketballforum.com/prospect-profiles/477737-cody-zeller.html
Isaiah Austin - http://www.basketballforum.com/prospect-profiles/477553-isaiah-austin.html

1) If the draft was today, in what order would you take these four and why.

2) If the draft was today, what range of pick would you be willing to spend on each and why. (e.g. top 5, top 10)

3) Of these four, who do you think will be the most productive as a rookie?

4) Of these four, who do you think will be the best player in 5 years?

#6 ·
1) If the draft was today, in what order would you take these four and why.
1) Noel
2) Len
3) Austin
4) Zeller

2) If the draft was today, what range of pick would you be willing to spend on each and why. (e.g. top 5, top 10)
Noel: #1. Not saying he should or will be the #1 pick since that's going to depend on the team this year, but I would not be afraid to take him there.

Len: #3-#7. As of now wouldn't take him over Noel or McClemore, but he probably goes around 5.

Austin: #7-#10. Pure potential pick. A ton of height, length, and talent but not an NBA athlete. Still trying to figure out what to make of him.

Zeller: Top 20. Could see him falling quite a bit. Zeller is a really good college player, but when is the last time you saw an NBA big man with a 6'8" wingspan? I think he's going to have a role in the NBA but I'm not sure he can ever be a 30 mpg player.

3) Of these four, who do you think will be the most productive as a rookie?
Noel is going to end up on the worst team so he'll probably get the most playing time and put up the best numbers. His length and athleticism will play right away. I think Len will be a slower developer as his value is as the type of guy you want to have responsibilities with the ball in his hands. It's harder to get guys like that minutes before they are ready than it is guys like Noel who can provide value just by running around.

I think Zeller will have a rotation role right away for whoever picks him similar to high talent/bad body compatriot Jared Sullinger.

No idea what to expect out of Austin as a rookie. It's going to depend on the coach and their relationship with their front office. I don't think there is anywhere you can play him until he gains 30 pounds.

4) Of these four, who do you think will be the best player in 5 years?
Noel.

#7 ·
Fell in love with Alex Len tonight as he dominated the **** out of potential National Player of the Year Mason "the good one" Plumlee. He's my #1 and would have been even with a healthy Noel.

Noel would be my number 2 out of these 4 listed, but I don't think he's going to be a star. He'll be a productive player for many years if he gets healthy, but he doesn't have the skillset of an all star. He'll get drafted by a shitty team and be the most productive as a rookie out of these 4, but his expectations will be the highest and the fans will be disappointed with him.

Zeller is my next guy, but I only rate him as about the 10th best player in the draft, if that. I really don't think he's going to be that good; like a more productive Hansbrough is what I'm thinking. He can maybe play center against journeymen centers, but can't defend good ones, and probably can't score over the journeymen defensive centers either. The post above mentioned Sullinger, but I don't think he's that strong or creative in the post. Sully can shoot too.

Finally is Austin. I think he's a bum. He has skills, but he is too slow to utilize them in the NBA. His frame is too skinny to guard anyone he might be matched up with in the post, and waaaaaay too slow to guard any SF in the league (any PF too, for that matter). He will spend a lot of time in the D-League. End of lottery at absolute best, but if I was in a war room I don't know if I would ever pull the trigger on him because you can find players who you know will be productive anywhere in the first usually. I'd consider selling my pick instead of drafting Austin at this point.

#9 ·
I had Noel and Zeller above Len during the first half of the season, but I watched a few more Maryland games, and I really like what Alex Len has to offer a team.

#10 ·
I will be interested to see if Alex Len gets the same "mercurial" label that Andre Drummond got because he has been just as alternatively impressive and invisible as Drummond was in college. Probably for similar reasons that have less to do with any real "effort" problems and more to do with aimless offense and bad point guards.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.