Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

Game Thread: #19 VCU @ Richmond (Thursday 1/24/13)

9K views 168 replies 43 participants last post by  ExplorerSteve 
#1 ·
VCU

vs

Richmond

Records: VCU (16-3, 4-0 A 10) / Richmond (12-7, 2-2 A 10)
Game time: 7PM EST
TV: CBS College Sports Network
Radio: VCU 107.3 FM / Richmond ESPN 950 AM, The WOLF 93.1 FM

See less See more
#40 ·
LOL, I agree that is not havoc, and yes he does come across very strangely in that video.

Yes, for those of you who are unfamiliar with the UR-VCU rivalry, UR fans like to flaunt their academic and economical superiority over us commoners as much as we like to flaunt our basketball superiority. ;)

This rivalry lives up to all the stereotypes of a private-public city rivalry, or at least our fans try to honor them during the weeks that we play. I haven't laughed as hard at both boards as I have this week in a long time. Great stuff on both sides.

The joke is mainly on those who take the other side seriously, and that's very evident from some of the members of both fan bases.

#42 ·
VCU is a 9 point favorite on the road. I took UR last year and regretted it. So no touch on this one. The question is can Richmond follow up their impressive performance against Charlotte into tonight's game. If they can they've got a shot.

#44 ·
The game is being called exactly the way it has to be for us not to be able to play the way we want to. Very tight and everything is being called.

Richmond can very easily win this game if we keep playing like this, they have imposed their pace. Very slow, deliberate, and clunky. Richmond is also executing well and Graham, Brandenberg, and Reddic are all in foul trouble. Perfect storm.

Should be interesting to see how our guys respond.

#45 ·
32-29 UR at the half.

Hard to be too upset considering Treveon Graham didn't play much and hasn't scored yet and Juvonte Reddic picked up 3 fouls. UR shot 52% and only turned the ball over 6 times. Doing a great job of setting their tempo and pace.

We play this way in the second half and we will lose. Hopefully we are making adjustments. Lots of different looks on D from Chris Mooney and our guys were a little flustered.

#49 ·
I meant for us. This is the exact opposite of how we want to play. All the credit in the world to Mooney. Our guys had a lot of trouble initially figuring out how to attack the defense.

I'll take being down 3 all things considered. Will need to execute much better in the 2nd half if we're going to win.

#50 ·
I am surprised VCU isn't in foul trouble every game, there's a whole lot of bumping, grabbing and and hand checking on that press. UR's freshman showing well. Spiders having success in the lane. Gotta get Brothers and Anthony clean looks from 3.

#53 ·
We'll need to get Treveon going in the 2nd-half. Foul trouble took him out early and he hasn't scored. We need our leading scorer if we're going to win games on the road in the A-10.

Also Richmond is putting on a clinic on how to stop us. Slow us down and force us to play a half court game and we're much more anemic on offense. Once A-10 teams adjust to that, we'll be very human on the road as we look tonight so far. Sometimes our talent and effort is enough to win those games, but it's always ugly and we're always very vulnerable.

I give UR a lot of credit. I've seen this game before, and it's the type of game that we are most likely to lose in if we're going to lose.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.