Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

Your NBA confessions, what don't you know?

3K views 95 replies 27 participants last post by  Jamel Irief 
#1 ·
I know we all act like we know everything about basketball.

And we all put this front on of how knowledgeable we are meanwhile we are googling who the **** George Mikan or Bob Pettit are, not I but no need to be ashamed if you have to.

Tell us what you know nothing of, or wish you did.

Hell even an embarrassing question you don't know how to ask, or will feel foolish asking, go ahead.

Mine: Why don't NBA teams make a deal with college prospects that they should skip the draft and they will sign them as free agents after the fact? Why a player would do this? Maybe he doesn't want to wind up on the Bobcats for 2 years maybe more, or maybe he can get far more money this way.

Is that against draft rules?

#4 ·
For the longest time, I thought Jerry Lucas was black.

#5 ·
I thought Jerome Richardson's real name was Pooh.

#15 ·
I still have no ****ing idea what changes the previous lockout made, before I joined this site I had no idea what assist turnover ratio meant, and I don't know why, but before Kyrie Irving joined the Cavs, I thought he was Julius Erving's son.

#17 ·
As someone that never played basketball in a formal setting (just pickup games all my life) - I'm poor watching off the ball defense.

#20 ·
I have a hard time reading offensive plays (non iso or pick and roll) in real time. Took me forever to learn what the **** was the triangle O (thanks YouTube), I still don't really get what the Princeton offense is exactly and any other popular offense. People talk a lot about a type of offense and I am clueless as to what that looks like. Would never be able to pick an offense out of a police line up.

Besides, Isos, Pick and Rolls and Triangle O.

#23 ·
Territorial picks were eliminated in 1966 because the league was starting to get national recognition... even though national popularity didn't really come until a few years later.

#25 ·
If anyone is a coach or has a great understanding I would love an article or a video or something explaining what offenses do well against what defenses.

Like triangle is better against blah etc. I do subscribe to bballbreakdown on youtube. And while he is informative sometimes I feel he is too nitpicky and specific and can't just say that a play was lucky or it was a great play and the shot just didn't go in.

also mid reading a coaching book but good lord is it full of confusing stuff.

#28 ·
I have no idea what TS%, eFG% and PER are. I know the concept of what they are (for instance PER is supposed to be a single metric to tell you how good a player is) but I don't know details. Everytime I say that someone either tries to educate or link me, and I gloss right over it.

I guess I'm saying I don't know and don't care.

#29 ·
I don't even get PER (yeah I am that not ****ing interested in those stats)

It would be great to really understand this stuff one day though because I am sure it is soo flawed or its fundamental is a huge MAYBE. Hell I've seen people use all those percentages to show how Kevin Johnson was better than Magic Johnson. **** THAT!

Does anyone who lurks around here have any answers to these?

#30 ·
I had no idea Royal Ivey was still in the NBA much less averaging 11 mgp.

I also really don't even try to understand contract details. I compare how much a player gets to another player and can tell who is over/under paid, but as far as ins and outs of the financial side, I know nothing...and don't really care too.

#31 ·
When I was in first grade I got in an argument with my black friend that Charles Barkley was white. I just assumed because of those Right Guard commercials.

#37 ·
Well damn it. I took the time to read Munros post and now I know what eFG% is. Now when people quote it in response to me I have to acknowledge it.

#47 · (Edited)
How can you quickly decide "you have to acknowledge it when people quote it" if you don't fully understand efg%, nor if it is valid? An intelligent thinker would never take efg% seriously because it's an invalid stat. lol There are too many variables in basketball to take such a stat seriously when it comes to comparing which player is better.

Now, I'll give you a really easy scenario to show you the stupidity of the efg% stat:

Say Kobe Bryant hits a shot worth two points and takes no more shots. Now say Ray Allen hits a three-pointer and takes no more shots. Kobe is 1 for 1, and Ray is 1 for 1. Based on efg%, Kobe efg% is 100%, and Ray's is 150%.

Does this really mean Ray played a better game than Kobe? Lets say that Kobe was double-teamed and hit an extremely tough shot to make his two points. However, Ray Allen had the luxury of being wide open because Lebron James was double teamed in the paint. Therefore Ray got an easy three points.

The Kobe/Ray Allen example is only one scenario, but in four quarters of basketball, hundreds of different scenarios occur to explain why a player efg% is lower than another's. Player A and Player B can be of equal skill, but if Player A's teammates have sloppy ballhandling that leads to easy fastbreak baskets for Player B, then Player B will have a higher efg% than Player A even if Player A played a perfect game. Player A could have very well played a far better game than Player B even though Player A had a lower efg%.

The stat is not valid in comparing which player is better. It's basically a meaningless stat. Here's another meaningless stat that I'm making up off the top of my head:

(Points + rebounds + steals) / (Fouls + minutes played*dunks)

Ok, I made a stat that can easily be calculated, but what does it mean? Nothing! Just like the efg%.

#40 ·
oops, missed ehm's post - think I have him on ignore

@dee-zy it's actually divided by (2*tsa) which breaks down FG attempts and FT attempts and therefore takes into account attempts and trips to the line - this factor in part is why shaq's ts% is not all that much higher than his efg (and in some seasons lower): while he got alot of points at the line he missed out on a lot more

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.