Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

Game Thread: Temple @ Dayton (Saturday 2/9/13)

8K views 120 replies 46 participants last post by  FlyersandTEA4LIFE 
#1 ·
Temple

vs

Dayton

Records: Temple (15-7, 4-4 A 10) / Dayton (13-9, 3-5 A 10)
Game time: 11AM EST
TV: ESPNU
Radio: Temple 1210 AM WPHT / Dayton 95.7 FM 1290 AM

See less See more
#2 ·
"Observations".... Anyone..... Anyone.....

I would classify this as a must win for Dayton - otherwise it may be the nail in the coffin as far as post season aspirations.

#3 ·
Holding my breath. I like a more physical line-up with Scott getting more minutes, and Benson relegated to fewer minutes and more of a perimeter roll on both ends of the floor. We were barely "good" last game, IMO because we were just trying to play defense with purpose for the first time this season against SJU. Archie needs to make sure that continues, but I still feel like our team is fragile. We have not shown the ability to play well consistantly yet.

#7 ·
I don't see Scott as the answer to anything. He's rarely in the right position on defense.

I know many Dayton fans felt he wasn't getting enough playing time. I wasn't one of them.I hope the kid turn out to be a good player but right now he clearly isn't.

During the last game he (scott) missed every shot he took, grabbed only two bounds in over 17 minutes of play and commited four fouls.

Its true he doesn't get pushed around as much as Benson but for the most part (sans last game) we get killed whenever he's in the game.

I find it difficult to replace a fifth year senior starter with a freshmen I have yet to see play a single quality game .
Play the Senior......

#6 ·
Another tough game for UD that they need to have. Hopefully Kaliff Wyatt doesn't go crazy. I assume Sanford will draw the assignment, but I wouldnt be surprised to see Pierre or Oliver take a turn on him.

I think UD misses Khari Price a lot. Sounds like he won't be back for this game, but we need him ASAP. His defense is huge, and he balances the rotation. Without him, we have only 2 guards on the team. Hopefully Khari comes back strong, and soon.

Its also an early game. The team with the energy early on will win.

#9 ·
Tman has gone from Scott "never in proper position" to "rarely in proper position". He's inching closer to the truth. The truth is, he's a very raw freshman, but far and away the best post defense option on the team.

I don't feel good about this game. I feel worse about the 11AM start. Screw that noise. I have to get up at like 9AM on a Saturday. That is something I only reserve for golf. I don't like this one bit.

#10 ·
Scott may be our best low post defender, but I would agree that he struggles in rotations and defending pick and rolls at times. Not much worse than anyone else on the team, but not great.

I've always been intrigued by Hollis-Jefferson on Temple. If I recall correctly, he had an excellent game last time Temple was in UD arena.

#12 ·
Scott deserves the playing time not because he is a good all-around player, but because he provides something that the rest of the team lacks so severely: toughness in the paint. We are so weak in the 10 foot arc around the hoop that I've been disgusted most of the year. It doesn't show up against the lower division 1 teams that we play in the non-con. You can't get away with it against the vast majority of A10 teams. Scott is a +5 in toughness and a -2 in offensive skill when you look at the team balance sheet the way I do. A net positive for the team, IMO.

I think Gavs could give us some toughness too. I'm not sure what to think of that situation yet. Archie talked him up like he was the most improved going into this season. Gavs then came down with mono and lost some weight/strength. Is he still reeling from the illness, or just playing poorly in practice? I'm not sure.

Oh, we also suck on defense. That's 100% on Archie and staff, IMO. I think he is trying to clean up that mess now.

#18 ·
The next few years with Dunphy at the helm will be absolutely brutal. Why would Rysheed Jordan want to play for this guy? So he can play 8 minutes a game behind Will Cummings? The idea is preposterous. This is the worst coaching job I've ever seen. The team just looks awful every time they take the court.

#32 ·
That three Wyatt just knocked down was very TU Holloway like. Just an absolutely clutch shot.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.