Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

The Future A10 Thread

63K views 529 replies 107 participants last post by  JonBoy 
#1 ·
If the sources are right and the A10 is losing Xavier, Butler, Dayton and St. Louis to the C7 that leaves the future A10 with 10 teams.

Duquesne
Bona
St. Joes
LaSalle
GW
Fordham
URI
Richmond
VCU
UMass

UMass is probably leaving soon to pursue football which would put the conference at 9 teams. Who do we invite? How many do we invite? How competitive will the conference be in the future? What will the board look like without some of our most famous (and infamous) posters?

#3 ·
#5 ·
Why not just stay with these 10? There aren't a lot of obvious teams to add. Siena and Butler come to mind first because they have nice sized arenas with fan bases. But I don't see why the A10 has to add them now. If UMass leaves then maybe pick up one of them. I would hate to see the A10 add a bunch of smaller mid-major schools just because it fellt like it had to. If they don't add clear value, then don't add them.

#13 ·
All things change with time. Just look at some of the schools in the A10 right now that have an esteemed basketball history but haven't amounted to much in the past 10-20 years. What did Xavier/Butler/VCU look like 10 years ago? Who knows how good this league will be in the future, some schools that are good right now will fade, and others will rise to the top.

#15 ·
The future is bright at:

1. VCU
2. GW
3. Richmond

Things could go either way at:

4. LaSalle
5. St. Joe's
6. St. Bonaventure

There are glimmers of hope at:

7. URI
8. Duquesne

And in the FUBAR category:

9. Fordham

Davidson is ummm ya.

Not sure GMU will ever revisit success of Larranaga.

Siena has a facility but a lousy record of late.

I feel like a CAA fan circa 2012.

#19 ·
Siena is one good coach away from being an Eastern Version of Dayton who actually wins. They fill up a 16000 arena. GMU might not be as good as Laranaga days, but Paul Hewitt is a solid coach who did some good things before things went south at GT. Davidson is nice, but I doubt they would join to be honest. I still believe in Fordham for some reason. I just don't think Pecora was the answer.

#17 ·
If, it's me, you add Davidson, GMU, and Siena after Umass leaves putting us at 12. Perhaps you even take a Detroit, Cleveland State, or a Murray State. Still, Davidson, Charleston, and GMU and other southern schools is more in line with where I'd like to go. I don't care that Davidson's gym is garbage. They are good and have name recognition. Also, I hope the old A10 schools schedule the A10 OOC. It'll be nice to beat Big East Schools regularly.

#20 ·
From what was on ESPN this would basically take away the midwest portion of the A10.
The move for the conference would them seem to be a north - south alignment with the addition of maybe a Davidson and ???. Just a thought.
However Bernedette McGlade did a great job getting Butler and VCU and I am sure she has been working on options for the past few months.

#38 ·
Davidson has money and always will have money. The school is one of the top academic institutions in the country. Davidson and Charlotte will always have a rivalry due to proximity, but I respect their program and McKillop. McKillop is one of those throw back coaches who teaches his kids the little things of basketball. They've always been a well-coached team despite the overall lack of talent compared to their level of success (of course they had Curry and both of McKillop's sons were solid players).

I think it would be a great add by the league, since Davidson will always be committed to hoops. Success in college basketball is more about stability rather than the idea of who's putting in the most money. Yea money is great, but look at UVA, that's a school for years that has invested as much or more than anyone financially into hoops, but they haven't been really relevant since Gillen was there (certainly more relevant this year).

#28 ·
If we stay with the A10 I'm fine with it. Lots of quality traditional programs. Opportunity for many to rise again. No reason we shouldn't be the next league just behind the Big East. As I mentioned elsewhere it's not the first contract, it will be the second and the third big east contract that is relevant and while they'll have a big initial advantage things change. Circle the wagons and maybe we'll meet up again.

#30 · (Edited)
First calls I make would be to George Mason, Murray State, and Wichita State. Make Wichita State say no. Frankly, I don't know if they will. The MVC minus Creighton is a TV wasteland. The A10 already has TV. I know this, if they don't call Murray State they are nuts. That program poops out 20 win seasons like Jamie Lee Curtis on that yogurt.

If one or more of those 3 say no, look at Belmont, Davidson, Drexel, Delaware, and Northeastern. Solid programs who will benefit from added exposure and money.

The A10 will likely lose 4 schools to the Big East, but is still in a much better position than the MVC, who is losing their only school with any consistent visibility. It will have VCU, St Joes, UMass (at least for a few years, perhaps longer), Rhody, and Richmond/Dayton. Add the right programs and it's still a very good, 2.5 bid league.

#32 ·
First calls I make would be to George Mason, Murray State, and Wichita State. Make Wichita State say no. Frankly, I don't know if they will. The MVC minus Creighton is a TV wasteland. The A10 already has TV. I know this, if they don't call Murray State they are nuts. That program poops out 20 win seasons like Jamie Lee Curtis on that yogurt.
I know a lot of fans want to swing the conference back the East Coast with most, if not all, of the western schools leaving, but there's just nothing here. Wichita State and Murray State would be great additions IMO.

Adding some of the schools being bandied about is just asking for multiple Fordhams.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.