UVM New Arena Thread - Page 3 - Basketball Forum : Professional and College Basketball Forums
BasketballForum.com is the premier basketball Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
User Tag List

Like Tree4Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2012, 11:55 AM   #31 (permalink)
6th Man
 
WWII's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 354
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Rep Power: 49
WWII will become famous soon enough WWII will become famous soon enough WWII will become famous soon enough WWII will become famous soon enough WWII will become famous soon enough WWII will become famous soon enough WWII will become famous soon enough WWII will become famous soon enough WWII will become famous soon enough WWII will become famous soon enough WWII will become famous soon enough
Re: UVM New Arena Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by VT Cats Fan View Post
Love that movie!

Unfortunately, the state can't afford the price tag either....we need a sugar daddy!
A Maple Sugar Daddy??
WWII is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 02-24-2012, 02:56 PM   #32 (permalink)
Star
 
charliemike's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 4,423
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 351 Post(s)
Rep Power: 7439
charliemike is a splendid one to behold charliemike is a splendid one to behold charliemike is a splendid one to behold charliemike is a splendid one to behold charliemike is a splendid one to behold charliemike is a splendid one to behold charliemike is a splendid one to behold charliemike is a splendid one to behold charliemike is a splendid one to behold charliemike is a splendid one to behold charliemike is a splendid one to behold
Re: UVM New Arena Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by umainealum View Post
What if you approached Tidy Cat or Fresh Step or any other company that makes kitty litter...you could nickname the new arena "the Litter Box". I kinda like it...imagine the publicity.
Cats, litter box ... That's funny. Well played
charliemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 07:19 AM   #33 (permalink)
Veteran
 
VT Cats Fan's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Vermont
Posts: 1,578
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Rep Power: 3001
VT Cats Fan has disabled reputation
Re: UVM New Arena Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliemike View Post
Cats, litter box ... That's funny. Well played
I like it!

Along the same lines, Alfond should be renamed, "The Woods".
VT Cats Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 05:40 AM   #34 (permalink)
-PREMIUM MEMBER-
Photobucket
 
UVM Hoop Cat's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Boston
Posts: 22,051
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1301 Post(s)
Rep Power: 62880
UVM Hoop Cat has a brilliant future UVM Hoop Cat has a brilliant future UVM Hoop Cat has a brilliant future UVM Hoop Cat has a brilliant future UVM Hoop Cat has a brilliant future UVM Hoop Cat has a brilliant future UVM Hoop Cat has a brilliant future UVM Hoop Cat has a brilliant future UVM Hoop Cat has a brilliant future UVM Hoop Cat has a brilliant future UVM Hoop Cat has a brilliant future
Re: UVM New Arena Thread

If the Hockey team absolutely sucking can be the driving force behind a new arena, then hopefully they are 6-30 every year until one gets built:

http://www.burlingtonfreepress.com/a...team-s-decline


And an arena?
Essentially, UVM has been a .500 team during its Division I days with peaks usually followed by valleys. One possible avenue to greater consistency could be the construction of a new multi-purpose arena.

Corran said UVM offers much to student-athlete recruits, including the quality of education, the campus, the setting, the community and the coaching staff, but noted, “They’re not the ‘wow’ factor but the foundation.” That ‘wow’ factor of more modern facilities can be critical in recruiting battles.

“The coaches (of all sports) do a great job recruiting and we’ve got to do all that we can to create that ‘wow’ factor,” said Corran, who said he is more optimistic that such an arena will move up UVM’s priority list.

“We’ll get the talent here,” said Sneddon. “What a (new) arena does is make sure that you probably won’t have this cyclical effect.”
__________________
"Let's win this game for all the small schools that never had a chance to get here"
- Hoosiers,
& UVM mens basketball NCAA's 2005
UVM Hoop Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 05:55 AM   #35 (permalink)
Veteran
 

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: VT
Posts: 2,098
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Rep Power: 19892
UVM7680 has much to be proud of UVM7680 has much to be proud of UVM7680 has much to be proud of UVM7680 has much to be proud of UVM7680 has much to be proud of UVM7680 has much to be proud of UVM7680 has much to be proud of UVM7680 has much to be proud of UVM7680 has much to be proud of UVM7680 has much to be proud of UVM7680 has much to be proud of
Re: UVM New Arena Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by UVM Hoop Cat View Post
“... make sure that you probably won’t have ...”
ah, coach-speak.
UVM7680 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 06:15 AM   #36 (permalink)
The Invisible Iron Fist
Photobucket
 
Seth's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 1,253
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Rep Power: 29704
Seth has much to be proud of Seth has much to be proud of Seth has much to be proud of Seth has much to be proud of Seth has much to be proud of Seth has much to be proud of Seth has much to be proud of Seth has much to be proud of Seth has much to be proud of Seth has much to be proud of Seth has much to be proud of
Re: UVM New Arena Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by UVM Hoop Cat View Post
If the Hockey team absolutely sucking can be the driving force behind a new arena, then hopefully they are 6-30 every year until one gets built:

http://www.burlingtonfreepress.com/a...team-s-decline


And an arena?
Essentially, UVM has been a .500 team during its Division I days with peaks usually followed by valleys. One possible avenue to greater consistency could be the construction of a new multi-purpose arena.

Corran said UVM offers much to student-athlete recruits, including the quality of education, the campus, the setting, the community and the coaching staff, but noted, “They’re not the ‘wow’ factor but the foundation.” That ‘wow’ factor of more modern facilities can be critical in recruiting battles.

“The coaches (of all sports) do a great job recruiting and we’ve got to do all that we can to create that ‘wow’ factor,” said Corran, who said he is more optimistic that such an arena will move up UVM’s priority list.

“We’ll get the talent here,” said Sneddon. “What a (new) arena does is make sure that you probably won’t have this cyclical effect.”
Many folks credit Agganis Arena as a significant factor in the rise of the 2009 BU NCAA Championship squad. The difference between the space in Walter Brown and Agganis is startling, particularly when you consider the improved training and dressing rooms. As more new facilities enter the landscape, those with older facilities will suffer.

I'm definitely crossing my fingers for UVM...I thin the fans have earned a nice house!
__________________
Go BU!
Seth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 12:12 PM   #37 (permalink)
Rookie
 

Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 72
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Rep Power: 1403
oldvmter is a name known to all oldvmter is a name known to all oldvmter is a name known to all oldvmter is a name known to all oldvmter is a name known to all oldvmter is a name known to all oldvmter is a name known to all oldvmter is a name known to all oldvmter is a name known to all oldvmter is a name known to all oldvmter is a name known to all
Re: UVM New Arena Thread

if this gets going, it seems it will have to be alums that do the planning and raise the money.
the local community, the state and the university do not seem to be in the position to even start planning such a project.
oldvmter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 06:04 PM   #38 (permalink)
Player
 

Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Burlington,Vt.
Posts: 679
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Rep Power: 23
THE802 has disabled reputation
Re: UVM New Arena Thread

Okay,Cats get to thier 5th NCAA appearence. Not kidding ourselves that it is a 1 and done trip. They have established a decade of success thru 3 different coaches. It is reported they have the best ROAD record of any D1 team over the last three years. We have players who come here because we have a legit shot to get to the NCAA every year ( Four Mcglynn stated that early in the season ). UVM, the city of Burlington, the state of Vt, and all UVM alum's owe it to themselves,the players and the fans to step up and build a new facility.
THE802 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 07:21 PM   #39 (permalink)
Head Rally Monkey
Photobucket
 
ball_of_rubber's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Las Vegas
Age: 31
Posts: 2,914
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Rep Power: 511
ball_of_rubber is just really nice ball_of_rubber is just really nice ball_of_rubber is just really nice ball_of_rubber is just really nice ball_of_rubber is just really nice ball_of_rubber is just really nice ball_of_rubber is just really nice ball_of_rubber is just really nice ball_of_rubber is just really nice ball_of_rubber is just really nice ball_of_rubber is just really nice
Re: UVM New Arena Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE802 View Post
Okay,Cats get to thier 5th NCAA appearence. Not kidding ourselves that it is a 1 and done trip. They have established a decade of success thru 3 different coaches. It is reported they have the best ROAD record of any D1 team over the last three years. We have players who come here because we have a legit shot to get to the NCAA every year ( Four Mcglynn stated that early in the season ). UVM, the city of Burlington, the state of Vt, and all UVM alum's owe it to themselves,the players and the fans to step up and build a new facility.
I'm going to play devil's advocate for a minute.

Why should they? Everything you've mentioned is true, and the people of Burlington and the rest of Vermont are happy. Things have been going so good for fans basketball-wise with a gymnasium, not an arena, as the home of their basketball team. It seems to the taxpayers, treasurers and potential donors that "if it ain't broke, don't fix it", and it doesn't look broke to them.

/devil's advocate

Yes, the people who make this decision are spoiled, but they're most thinking that they shouldn't really owe the team an arena. Sad thing is, UVM basketball is not a professional team and can't threaten to move to another city. If UVM wants help from donors, the city or the state for funds for a new arena, they need to really convince everyone why they should.

And clearly 5 championships in 10 years aren't enough convincing.
ball_of_rubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 08:26 PM   #40 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
Photobucket
 
Vermonster's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Colorado Springs
Posts: 1,487
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Rep Power: 55587
Vermonster has a brilliant future Vermonster has a brilliant future Vermonster has a brilliant future Vermonster has a brilliant future Vermonster has a brilliant future Vermonster has a brilliant future Vermonster has a brilliant future Vermonster has a brilliant future Vermonster has a brilliant future Vermonster has a brilliant future Vermonster has a brilliant future
Re: UVM New Arena Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ball_of_rubber View Post
I'm going to play devil's advocate for a minute.

Why should they? Everything you've mentioned is true, and the people of Burlington and the rest of Vermont are happy. Things have been going so good for fans basketball-wise with a gymnasium, not an arena, as the home of their basketball team. It seems to the taxpayers, treasurers and potential donors that "if it ain't broke, don't fix it", and it doesn't look broke to them.

/devil's advocate

Yes, the people who make this decision are spoiled, but they're most thinking that they shouldn't really owe the team an arena. Sad thing is, UVM basketball is not a professional team and can't threaten to move to another city. If UVM wants help from donors, the city or the state for funds for a new arena, they need to really convince everyone why they should.

And clearly 5 championships in 10 years aren't enough convincing.
That's the problem. It is broke. Big teams refuse to play us at home because of our facilities. If we had a new arena, it would attract new teams to help advance our program. Also, and more importantly, it would attract new recruits. We get good recruits already because we are a good team, but we would attract many more with a new arena. In hockey, and Basketball. We need this built!
Vermonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 10:17 PM   #41 (permalink)
Head Rally Monkey
Photobucket
 
ball_of_rubber's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Las Vegas
Age: 31
Posts: 2,914
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Rep Power: 511
ball_of_rubber is just really nice ball_of_rubber is just really nice ball_of_rubber is just really nice ball_of_rubber is just really nice ball_of_rubber is just really nice ball_of_rubber is just really nice ball_of_rubber is just really nice ball_of_rubber is just really nice ball_of_rubber is just really nice ball_of_rubber is just really nice ball_of_rubber is just really nice
Re: UVM New Arena Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermonster View Post
That's the problem. It is broke. Big teams refuse to play us at home because of our facilities. If we had a new arena, it would attract new teams to help advance our program. Also, and more importantly, it would attract new recruits. We get good recruits already because we are a good team, but we would attract many more with a new arena. In hockey, and Basketball. We need this built!
I'm not saying it's not broke. I'm just saying that to the state/local/Burlington governments, to any donors that can front the money, it's not broke. Five championships in ten years isn't broke to them. UVM's biggest obstacle is convincing those money decision makers that it is broke.
ball_of_rubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 12:09 AM   #42 (permalink)
Player
 

Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 772
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Rep Power: 20061
RadioRobUVM has disabled reputation
Re: UVM New Arena Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermonster View Post
That's the problem. It is broke. Big teams refuse to play us at home because of our facilities. If we had a new arena, it would attract new teams to help advance our program. Also, and more importantly, it would attract new recruits. We get good recruits already because we are a good team, but we would attract many more with a new arena. In hockey, and Basketball. We need this built!
Gonna disagree with this point.... Big teams refuse to play us (or Harvard, or Drexel, or Iona) because there is ZERO UPSIDE to playing us. Home, or road. Again, it is NOT a coincidence that UCONN waited till after Blakely graduated, to even agree to (and not chicken out) of playing UVM.

Until people pressure the NCAA to stop putting in mediocre big/BCS programs, they're going to continue to refuse playing dangerous mid-majors. It has nothing to do with facilites. If UVM builds a 4500 seat arena, Uconn, Syracuse, Temple or anyone in a power conference, still are NOT COMING HERE TO PLAY A 20 WIN VERMONT TEAM. The loss, for them is crippling, and the WIN is expected (and not that good.)

Facilities help recruiting the players that UVM already gets. The main reason for the state of Vermont to build an arena, is to make the money back on things NOT RELATED to UVM athletics. Concerts. Circuses. Blue Man Group.... whatever. It's the only state in the union without a major indoor facility. While it wouldn't HURT UVM athletics, it's not as helpful as we all think. 5 titles in 10 years, with Patrick, and 2 Frozen Fours and countless NHL'ers in 20 years kinda undermines that argument.
__________________
THE GREATER INTERNET D**KWAD THEORY:
Normal Person + Anonymity + Audience = TOTAL D**KWAD
RadioRobUVM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 04:58 AM   #43 (permalink)
Player
 

Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Burlington,Vt.
Posts: 679
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Rep Power: 23
THE802 has disabled reputation
Re: UVM New Arena Thread

B][/B]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ball_of_rubber View Post
I'm going to play devil's advocate for a minute.

Why should they? Everything you've mentioned is true, and the people of Burlington and the rest of Vermont are happy. Things have been going so good for fans basketball-wise with a gymnasium, not an arena, as the home of their basketball team. It seems to the taxpayers, treasurers and potential donors that "if it ain't broke, don't fix it", and it doesn't look broke to them.

/devil's advocate

Yes, the people who make this decision are spoiled, but they're most thinking that they shouldn't really owe the team an arena. Sad thing is, UVM basketball is not a professional team and can't threaten to move to another city. If UVM wants help from donors, the city or the state for funds for a new arena, they need to really convince everyone why they should.

And clearly 5 championships in 10 years aren't enough convincing.
No the fans are not. This is a very good fan base and support the team passionitaly. The accomadations at Patrick are 40 years old. The seats are wooden bleachers. To exit that place in an emergency is a disaster waiting to happen. From a safety standpoint alone it is time to correct. Concessions is a joke. Bathrooms are a joke. Having ESPN,NESN and or CBSSports there is difficult and cramped for them. RadioRob can chime in here. I take 2 aspirin before the game in order to spare my back from nearly 2 hours of sitting in my backless seat. I am very not alone here. We put 3000 fans ,give or take and it is great to watch this program. I know a 4500 hoop setup and 6700 for hockey would be fine. As for all the other non- sports related functions that this would be used for and generating even more $$$ - well that list is too long to get in to.
THE802 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 08:36 AM   #44 (permalink)
Player
 

Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 840
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Rep Power: 4555
Blakely4Prez is a name known to all Blakely4Prez is a name known to all Blakely4Prez is a name known to all Blakely4Prez is a name known to all Blakely4Prez is a name known to all Blakely4Prez is a name known to all Blakely4Prez is a name known to all Blakely4Prez is a name known to all Blakely4Prez is a name known to all Blakely4Prez is a name known to all Blakely4Prez is a name known to all
Re: UVM New Arena Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE802 View Post
B][/B]

No the fans are not. This is a very good fan base and support the team passionitaly. The accomadations at Patrick are 40 years old. The seats are wooden bleachers. To exit that place in an emergency is a disaster waiting to happen. From a safety standpoint alone it is time to correct. Concessions is a joke. Bathrooms are a joke. Having ESPN,NESN and or CBSSports there is difficult and cramped for them. RadioRob can chime in here. I take 2 aspirin before the game in order to spare my back from nearly 2 hours of sitting in my backless seat. I am very not alone here. We put 3000 fans ,give or take and it is great to watch this program. I know a 4500 hoop setup and 6700 for hockey would be fine. As for all the other non- sports related functions that this would be used for and generating even more $$$ - well that list is too long to get in to.
Many of you have brought this concept up in this thread and others. I don't think this is possible, ice rinks are larger than basketball courts...so essentially thoughts that we'd have a set up with more hockey seats is not quite accurate.
Blakely4Prez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 06:07 PM   #45 (permalink)
Rookie
 

Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Burlington
Posts: 52
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Rep Power: 3
UVMSection4 has disabled reputation
Re: UVM New Arena Thread

Another thing the new arena could be used for is the America East Tournament. You think Hartford had a home court advantage? Imagine Vermont hosting the tournament. There would be some major crying then... The talk I've heard is about 6500 for the size. The crappy part is, even if you put 4000 in a 6500 seat arena, it looks empty. You can ask BU about that. Agannis is amazing, but with 2500 in there, it looks sad...
UVMSection4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:23 PM.



User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright © 2002 — 2013 BasketballBoards.net.

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1