UVM New Arena Thread - Page 8 - Basketball Forum : Professional and College Basketball Forums
BasketballForum.com is the premier basketball Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
User Tag List

Like Tree269Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2013, 01:19 PM   #106 (permalink)
Player
 

Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 903
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Re: UVM New Arena Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by UAalum72 View Post
Cameron's a dump. The only reason the students stand the whole game is that if you sit, your knees are up by your chin. There's less legroom than at Patrick, and the lighting is dimmer.
guess you can be good with poor facilities.

My point was that fans on top of you is a home court advantage. Duke is 186-14 in their last 200 home games and against OOC teams have won the last 100. Also Coach K is 442-58 at Cameron
Blakely4Prez is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 03-19-2013, 01:54 PM   #107 (permalink)
Veteran
 
UAalum72's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Gateway to the Mohawk Valley
Posts: 1,632
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Re: UVM New Arena Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakely4Prez View Post
guess you can be good with poor facilities.

My point was that fans on top of you is a home court advantage. Duke is 186-14 in their last 200 home games and against OOC teams have won the last 100. Also Coach K is 442-58 at Cameron
And Dean Smith was 133-17 and Roy Williams was (before this year) 129-16 at the Dean Dome and Boeheim is 474-92 at the Carrier Dome.

Anyway you can't build arenas like Cameron and Patrick any more; ADA requirements and probably fire codes wouldn't allow stands like that.
__________________
"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. " - B. Franklin
UAalum72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 03:10 PM   #108 (permalink)
All-Star
 

Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 5,008
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 682 Post(s)
Re: UVM New Arena Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by UAalum72 View Post
Cameron's a dump. The only reason the students stand the whole game is that if you sit, your knees are up by your chin. There's less legroom than at Patrick, and the lighting is dimmer.
I wouldn't call Cameron a dump since it's widely regarded as one of the best places in college basketball. The court set up is perfect. I think it would be cool if more places had standing room only tickets right next to the court. Great way to get the fans into the game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UAalum72 View Post
And Dean Smith was 133-17 and Roy Williams was (before this year) 129-16 at the Dean Dome and Boeheim is 474-92 at the Carrier Dome.

Anyway you can't build arenas like Cameron and Patrick any more; ADA requirements and probably fire codes wouldn't allow stands like that.
All those coaches you mentioned have a significantly lower winning percentage than Coach K at Cameron.

Smith 88.6%, Williams 88.9% though def lower after this year, Boeheim 83.7%.

Coach K 93%. 5% is a big deal when you are expected to win every game. The advantage is undeniable and the people who attend those games love the atmosphere and energy.
uvm4life20 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Old 03-19-2013, 03:44 PM   #109 (permalink)
Veteran
 
UAalum72's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Gateway to the Mohawk Valley
Posts: 1,632
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Re: UVM New Arena Thread

Have you been there? Saying Cameron is 'one of he best' without having been there is like reporters saying there isn't a bad seat in the house at Fenway Park - they obviously never had to sit in Section 7 with their seat aimed at left field.

The point was that playing in a 25000 or 30000 seat dome isn't much of a handicap. Home court advantage comes from the players and coaches you have, not the building.
__________________
"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. " - B. Franklin

Last edited by UAalum72; 03-19-2013 at 03:58 PM.
UAalum72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 05:44 PM   #110 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
Photobucket
 
Vermonster's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Colorado Springs
Posts: 2,804
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 415 Post(s)
Re: UVM New Arena Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by UAalum72 View Post
Home court advantage comes from the players and coaches you have, not the building.
Vermonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 07:16 PM   #111 (permalink)
All-Star
 

Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 5,008
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 682 Post(s)
Re: UVM New Arena Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by UAalum72 View Post
Have you been there? Saying Cameron is 'one of he best' without having been there is like reporters saying there isn't a bad seat in the house at Fenway Park - they obviously never had to sit in Section 7 with their seat aimed at left field.

The point was that playing in a 25000 or 30000 seat dome isn't much of a handicap. Home court advantage comes from the players and coaches you have, not the building.
No I haven't been there but I stated is widely accepted as one of the best. You can see from watching games on TV the atmosphere is great. The advantage is undeniable. It's not just a saying that people use all the time like there isn't a bad seat in the house.
uvm4life20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 05:50 PM   #112 (permalink)
6th Man
 
WWII's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 418
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Re: UVM New Arena Thread

It's a dump!
WWII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 03:01 PM   #113 (permalink)
Star
 

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: VT
Posts: 3,377
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 454 Post(s)
Re: UVM New Arena Thread

In the Dream On department, apparently...
Quote:
The University of Vermont is looking for someone to manage its new multi-purpose arena.

What new multi-purpose arena? The one UVM has dreamed of building for years to replace its shopworn, 50-year-old complex that comprises Patrick Gym and Gutterson Fieldhouse.

The request for management services comes with a caveat, however:

The multi-purpose arena is still a dream. It hasnít even been designed or funded yet, much less been built...
UVM7680 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 03:58 PM   #114 (permalink)
Veteran
 
c00per's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: South Burlington, VT
Posts: 1,008
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Re: UVM New Arena Thread

That's a sad story.
c00per is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 04:36 PM   #115 (permalink)
Veteran
 

Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 1,618
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 450 Post(s)
Re: UVM New Arena Thread

At least they are trying a different angle to raise the funds. When the university finally got serious about building an arena we entered a four year recession. It was bad timing but I think it could happen if they get that first mover to make a significant gift.

I spoke with the mayor of Burlington and associate athletic director at a soccer game a couple weeks ago to share my vision with them. I really think the best bet for the city and university would be to tear down Memorial Auditorium, the Victorian Home, and 1950's Motel and use half a city block (Main St. and South Winooski Ave.) to build an arena and parking garage. The footprint would be tight but I believe the attendance for shows and sporting events would increase dramatically. Being only a block from Church St. and all the restaurants and bars in the vicinity would have a huge economic multiplying effect for the city.

It would be really cool if UVM and Burlington could form a public/private partnership and find a way to both raise the money to fund this project. With the city and university joining forces I think it stands a much more reasonable chance of getting done.

Not only would this benefit the university but it would also be a huge benefit to the city. Everybody wins....if only we could find the money.
dnapolit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 07:34 AM   #116 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
Photobucket
 
Vermonster's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Colorado Springs
Posts: 2,804
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 415 Post(s)
Re: UVM New Arena Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnapolit View Post
At least they are trying a different angle to raise the funds. When the university finally got serious about building an arena we entered a four year recession. It was bad timing but I think it could happen if they get that first mover to make a significant gift.

I spoke with the mayor of Burlington and associate athletic director at a soccer game a couple weeks ago to share my vision with them. I really think the best bet for the city and university would be to tear down Memorial Auditorium, the Victorian Home, and 1950's Motel and use half a city block (Main St. and South Winooski Ave.) to build an arena and parking garage. The footprint would be tight but I believe the attendance for shows and sporting events would increase dramatically. Being only a block from Church St. and all the restaurants and bars in the vicinity would have a huge economic multiplying effect for the city.

It would be really cool if UVM and Burlington could form a public/private partnership and find a way to both raise the money to fund this project. With the city and university joining forces I think it stands a much more reasonable chance of getting done.

Not only would this benefit the university but it would also be a huge benefit to the city. Everybody wins....if only we could find the money.
I wonder if someone could convince Green Mountain Coffee Roasters to make a donation? $60 Million would be pocket change to them.

There are plenty of other Local businesses that would benefit heavily from donating.
Vermonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 07:48 AM   #117 (permalink)
Star
 
Catcountry21's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 3,714
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 424 Post(s)
Re: UVM New Arena Thread

I agree with Green MTN Coffee, what about Nickelodeon?

Cyma Zarghami, president of the Nickelodeon television network is an alum of UVM.
__________________
"Everybody pulls for David, nobody roots for Goliath." -- Wilt Chamberlain
Catcountry21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 11:18 AM   #118 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
Photobucket
 
Vermonster's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Colorado Springs
Posts: 2,804
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 415 Post(s)
Re: UVM New Arena Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catcountry21 View Post
I agree with Green MTN Coffee, what about Nickelodeon?

Cyma Zarghami, president of the Nickelodeon television network is an alum of UVM.
Alright who's going to start typing the letter up? Pretty sure Nickelodeon owns MTV and several other channels too. Seriously though, I wouldn't mind the "Green Mountain Coffee Arena" or something like that.
Catcountry21 likes this.
Vermonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 11:42 AM   #119 (permalink)
Banned Member
 

Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 577
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Re: UVM New Arena Thread

HubSpot Arena...Dealer.com Arena...My Web Grocer Arena...don't know that those companies have the money but local ties maybe get the naming rights which I think they said would be separate from the cost of the arena.

What did the mayor say about that plan? I thought Memorial and that hotel can't be torn down and also that gets in to having to have stuff approved by city council and taxpayers I don't think people are going to do that in Burlington so it is probably better for UVM to fund it and have it on campus.

Still think the arena is like 10 years off.
el gato mount is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 12:08 PM   #120 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
Photobucket
 
Vermonster's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Colorado Springs
Posts: 2,804
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 415 Post(s)
Re: UVM New Arena Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by el gato mount View Post
HubSpot Arena...Dealer.com Arena...My Web Grocer Arena...don't know that those companies have the money but local ties maybe get the naming rights which I think they said would be separate from the cost of the arena.

What did the mayor say about that plan? I thought Memorial and that hotel can't be torn down and also that gets in to having to have stuff approved by city council and taxpayers I don't think people are going to do that in Burlington so it is probably better for UVM to fund it and have it on campus.

Still think the arena is like 10 years off.
I'd like to think a few creative minds could convince to residents to vote to build an arena. I remember years back when the Waterfront Skate Park got the nod. That was a big deal back then. It's about time for the city to approve another big project, and move forward a step further.

The arena would be a huge project compared to the skate park, but I think the benefits for the community far outweigh the potential drawbacks. Much like the skate park, you're trading scenic value for community building.

Imagine how many more events and live bands would come to town if they knew there was a decent sized facility to house them. I'd love to see a few tech trade shows or comic-con style events as well. The possibilities are ENDLESS.

All it would really take is a tasteful and creative commercial to get people talking and donating. I guess these things are not as easy in real life as they are on an internet message board.
Vermonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:20 AM.



User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright © 2002 ó 2013 BasketballBoards.net.
 

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1