2013 America East Recruiting Thread - Page 4 - Basketball Forum : Professional and College Basketball Forums
BasketballForum.com is the premier basketball Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
User Tag List

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2011, 08:20 PM   #46 (permalink)
Star
 
charliemike's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 4,530
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Re: 2013 America East Recruiting Thread

Anyone heard anything about UMBC for 2013? We'll have two scholarships open (Neller and Satchell graduate in May 2013).
charliemike is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 12-01-2011, 06:17 AM   #47 (permalink)
-PREMIUM MEMBER-
Photobucket
 
UVM Hoop Cat's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Boston
Posts: 22,530
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1459 Post(s)
Re: 2013 America East Recruiting Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by UVMFan2007 View Post
I was at the game. He's a pretty good player, but I was more impressed with Olivier Betu from Worcester Academy. He's leaps and bounds ahead of where he was last year when I saw him play. He visited UVM a while back but ended up committing to UC Davis. The way he played tonight, he could play and contribute in the AE right now. The game was a lot closer than it should have been. WA was without Rene Castro (top 100 kid), Canaan Severin (committed to UVA for football), and one other starter I was told.

Worcester Academy has a few players to watch. Matt Cimino, soph I believe from Maine, needs to add muscle, but has one of the best strokes for a big kid (6'8") at that age out to the 3 point line that I've ever seen...and I've been watching NEPSAC basketball for the past 15 years. He's more than likely a kid that's going to end up above our level, but you never can tell.

Another is Tom Rivard. Soph or Junior. Very active around the basket and deceptively athletic. Similar to Cimino he needs to put on weight. But he is a kid I could see in the AE down the road.

Milan Brown, Holy Cross' head coach was in attendance (I imagine to see Oliviera), as was one of his assistants. Also saw someone from Fordham.
Great feedback on the game and thanks for the write-up.

Fordham coaches were checking in on Jake Fay from Brimmer & May- he's already verbally comitted to Fordham.

Do you recall if a 6'7'' forward John Powell played for Brimmer? How did he look?

Are you going to check out the Scholar Roundball Classic at Babson College the weekend of 12/10?
Northfield Mount Hermon plays Brimmer & May. I think I might go to see O'Day and some others. Here's the schedule of games:

Saturday, Dec 10th
10:00 a.m. Cushing vs. Rivers
11:30 a.m. Cheshire vs. Champlain St. Lambert
1:00 p.m. NMH vs. Brimmer & May
2:30 p.m. Milton vs. St. Andrew's
4:00 p.m. Blair vs. Andover
6:00 p.m. Tabor vs. Exeter
7:30 p.m. Cambridge RL vs. Catholic Central
9:00 p.m. Lexington vs. Needham

Sunday, Dec 11th
10:00 a.m. Trinity Pawling vs. Champlain
11:30 a.m. Suffield vs. Blair Academy
1:30 p.m. Kent vs. NMH
3:30 p.m. Kimball Union vs. Tabor
5:00 p.m. Choate vs. St. Andrew's
6:30 p.m. Pingree vs. Brimmer & May
__________________
"Let's win this game for all the small schools that never had a chance to get here"
- Hoosiers,
& UVM mens basketball NCAA's 2005
UVM Hoop Cat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 07:06 AM   #48 (permalink)
Rookie
 

Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 55
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Re: 2013 America East Recruiting Thread

I hate to knock a kid that age and it's only one game, but Jake Fay looked awful. He airballed 2 three's and came about as close as you can to airballing a 3rd one (barely nicked the rim). Maybe it was just nerves, maybe he was sick...who knows, but he just kept jacking them up and eventually hit one late in the game. It wasn't pretty though. Small sample size, but he didn't look like an A10 player, nevermind an America East player.

Unfortunately there wasn't a roster for Brimmer and May, so I'm trying to piece together recruiting websites and pictures of their guys to figure out who was who. But, the kid that I think was John Powell really impressed me. Very athletic and was their best post presence. He seems to me like he'll be a wing player in college, but they had almost no size, so they had him playing down low. He threw down a huge dunk over Tom Rivard on a fast break...absolutely posterized him.

As for the tourney, I'd love to get there to see O'Day play, not sure yet on that one. But, as I'm living in Worcester I'm going to try and go to as many Worcester Academy games as possible against different teams with guys we are looking at or have committed to us, etc. as I can. I believe they play NMH in January.

I can't remember if I've mentioned it on here before or not, but Makai Mason. Remember that name. Hotchkiss School. Very small right now, but he will pull up from anywhere (and I mean anywhere...range out to 30 feet) and can handle the ball with the best of them. I hate to make comparisons, but he reminds me of Jimmer. Again, probably going to go above our level...but a player to watch in this area.
UVMFan2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 04:24 PM   #49 (permalink)
-PREMIUM MEMBER-
Photobucket
 
UVM Hoop Cat's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Boston
Posts: 22,530
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1459 Post(s)
Re: 2013 America East Recruiting Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by UVMFan2007 View Post
I hate to knock a kid that age and it's only one game, but Jake Fay looked awful. He airballed 2 three's and came about as close as you can to airballing a 3rd one (barely nicked the rim). Maybe it was just nerves, maybe he was sick...who knows, but he just kept jacking them up and eventually hit one late in the game. It wasn't pretty though. Small sample size, but he didn't look like an A10 player, nevermind an America East player.

Unfortunately there wasn't a roster for Brimmer and May, so I'm trying to piece together recruiting websites and pictures of their guys to figure out who was who. But, the kid that I think was John Powell really impressed me. Very athletic and was their best post presence. He seems to me like he'll be a wing player in college, but they had almost no size, so they had him playing down low. He threw down a huge dunk over Tom Rivard on a fast break...absolutely posterized him.

As for the tourney, I'd love to get there to see O'Day play, not sure yet on that one. But, as I'm living in Worcester I'm going to try and go to as many Worcester Academy games as possible against different teams with guys we are looking at or have committed to us, etc. as I can. I believe they play NMH in January.

I can't remember if I've mentioned it on here before or not, but Makai Mason. Remember that name. Hotchkiss School. Very small right now, but he will pull up from anywhere (and I mean anywhere...range out to 30 feet) and can handle the ball with the best of them. I hate to make comparisons, but he reminds me of Jimmer. Again, probably going to go above our level...but a player to watch in this area.
I think Jared Fay, Jake's older brother, is a frosh at Fordham this year- maybe package deal.

That's good to know about Mason. I'll try and see him play.

Brimmer and May and Beaver Country Day (has the Taylor brothers who Boston University is recruiting) are both right around the corner from me so I'm going to try and see Oliviera play.

Yeah, Powell is intriguing- not sure who is recruiting him. Sounds like the kind of player we can use though.

St. Marks in Southboro is somewhat close as well, Worcester Academy is kinda a hike for me. Those are the only prep schools close to Boston with some good prospects I can think of. Notre Dame Prep, Northfield Mount Hermon, and Winchendon are too far. Brewster, Tilton, and New Hampton, Exeter, and St. Paul's are up in NH.
__________________
"Let's win this game for all the small schools that never had a chance to get here"
- Hoosiers,
& UVM mens basketball NCAA's 2005
UVM Hoop Cat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 11:48 AM   #50 (permalink)
Star
 
Catcountry21's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 2,773
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Re: 2013 America East Recruiting Thread

Oliveira had 28 points today in a loss to Mack Prep.
__________________
"Everybody pulls for David, nobody roots for Goliath." -- Wilt Chamberlain
Catcountry21 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 09:47 AM   #51 (permalink)
Veteran
 
Will's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 2,217
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Re: 2013 America East Recruiting Thread

2013 guard Matt Lassen of Linn-Mar (IA) has committed to Albany, per his coach.

http://twitter.com/therecruitscoop
Will is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 07:22 PM   #52 (permalink)
Veteran
 
UAalum72's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Gateway to the Mohawk Valley
Posts: 1,308
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Re: 2013 America East Recruiting Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will View Post
2013 guard Matt Lassen of Linn-Mar (IA) has committed to Albany, per his coach.

http://twitter.com/therecruitscoop
The VERY NEXT NIGHT Lassen hits his head on the floor and is in the hospital with a concussion and hemorrhaging. Hope he recovers OK

http://metrosportsreport.com/index.p...=184:about-msr
__________________
"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. " - B. Franklin
UAalum72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 07:26 PM   #53 (permalink)
Head Rally Monkey
Photobucket
 
ball_of_rubber's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Las Vegas
Age: 31
Posts: 2,963
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Re: 2013 America East Recruiting Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliemike View Post
Anyone heard anything about UMBC for 2013? We'll have two scholarships open (Neller and Satchell graduate in May 2013).
I think the only player we got a verbal from during his junior year was Nick Groce (look how that turned out).
ball_of_rubber is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 07:44 PM   #54 (permalink)
Star
 
charliemike's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 4,530
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Re: 2013 America East Recruiting Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ball_of_rubber View Post
I think the only player we got a verbal from during his junior year was Nick Groce (look how that turned out).
Dammit if we cant participate in recruiting hot stove talk then what else is there? Not like we're winning all the time
charliemike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 10:31 AM   #55 (permalink)
Rookie
 

Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 55
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Re: 2013 America East Recruiting Thread

I don't believe it's been mentioned on here yet, but UVM is looking at Colin Richey from Whitinsville Christian (MA). He's a junior point guard and regarded as one of the best in the state. I haven't had a chance to see him play yet, but hope to this season.

Here's an article mentioning Vermont showing interest. No scholarship offer, just initial interst...one to keep an eye on -

http://telegram.com/article/20111214...PLATE=HOMETEAM
UVMFan2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 09:46 AM   #56 (permalink)
Player
 

Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 901
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Re: 2013 America East Recruiting Thread

Matt St. Amour of Missisquoi Valley Union High School in Swanton, VT dropped 40 last night on North Country in a victory. He went 22 of 23 from the free throw line. His first game this season he had 30 against Harwood. Unfortunately he doesn't have a lot assistance this season. The team is off to a 1-2 start.
dnapolit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 06:47 AM   #57 (permalink)
-PREMIUM MEMBER-
Photobucket
 
UVM Hoop Cat's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Boston
Posts: 22,530
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1459 Post(s)
Re: 2013 America East Recruiting Thread

2014 news, but per recruitscoop Vermont, Holy Cross, and BC coaches were in to see Jeff Spellman PG, Maurice & Jacquil Taylor F, from Beaver Country Day
__________________
"Let's win this game for all the small schools that never had a chance to get here"
- Hoosiers,
& UVM mens basketball NCAA's 2005
UVM Hoop Cat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 01:01 PM   #58 (permalink)
All-Star
 
mainejeff's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Maine
Posts: 7,744
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Re: 2013 America East Recruiting Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by UVM Hoop Cat View Post
2014 news, but per recruitscoop Vermont, Holy Cross, and BC coaches were in to see Jeff Spellman PG, Maurice & Jacquil Taylor F, from Beaver Country Day
Do some schools all recruit the same players? I keep seeing the same schools mentioned over and over again for certain players.
mainejeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 01:03 PM   #59 (permalink)
-PREMIUM MEMBER-
Photobucket
 
UVM Hoop Cat's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Boston
Posts: 22,530
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1459 Post(s)
Re: 2013 America East Recruiting Thread

Vermont-PG target Khalil Dukes scored 51pts in a game the other day per hooprootz
__________________
"Let's win this game for all the small schools that never had a chance to get here"
- Hoosiers,
& UVM mens basketball NCAA's 2005
UVM Hoop Cat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 01:57 PM   #60 (permalink)
Star
 
icemchine9's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 3,052
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Re: 2013 America East Recruiting Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainejeff View Post
Do some schools all recruit the same players? I keep seeing the same schools mentioned over and over again for certain players.
Yes. Because of admission standards UVM is often recruiting the same guys that Holy Cross, Davidson, BU, most of the Patriot League and some IVYs are recruiting. These schools don't accept kids that barely qualify so it limits who you can recruit.
icemchine9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:58 PM.



User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 2002 2013 BasketballBoards.net.

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1