2012-2013 Vermont Catamount Thread! - Page 10 - Basketball Forum : Professional and College Basketball Forums
BasketballForum.com is the premier basketball Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
User Tag List

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-22-2012, 01:46 PM   #136 (permalink)
6th Man
 
c00per's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Burlington, VT
Posts: 480
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Re: 2012-2013 Vermont Catamount Thread!

Not a whole lot of Trey chatter on here. I thought he looked great. After one look I'd put him on par Rusin for sure. He hit a nice three, but missed a couple of other shots probably due to nerves. Overall, it was a great tip-off especially considering there were points at the end of last year when the Cats didn't have enough players to scrimmage.

PS- "Tres for Trey" is an annoying continuation of the "Four for three" crap. Anybody know the announcer? Maybe we can put an end to that before it starts. I digress.
c00per is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 10-22-2012, 04:30 PM   #137 (permalink)
Star
 

Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 2,897
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Re: 2012-2013 Vermont Catamount Thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Patrick View Post
if ever there was a team where it did not matter who started it would be th UVM catamounts of the last couple years and for the foreseeable future it seems that they will have 8 guys who will average between 20 and 30 minutes and 2 to 3 guys in the 8 minute range. they have the ability to play match-ups, ride the "hot hand" and avoid foul trouble without giving up anything at any position.....This is a great thing, and why we should be on top for the next couple of years at the very least, and judging by what this staff has put together over the last year i am not the least bit worried about 2014.... They know what they are doing and how to build a "team"
I agree with everything your saying. The post you quoted me on though said nothing about starting. I was just pointing out that UVM has 3 natural SF's in a two year span and it will be interesting seeing those players play other positions and how they adapt.

I really Kilpatrick can develop into a SG just needs to work on lateral quickness and I think Steidl can play some 4 later on in his career as he gets bigger and stronger. Taggart is strictly a 3 IMO. I can see all these players being on the floor at once.

Jim do you know if your son....er... Taggart will be redshirting. I was thinking it would be a good idea with the depth on the wing and they could change their mind if a serious injury happens.
uvm4life20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 07:26 PM   #138 (permalink)
Benchwarmer
 

Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 206
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Re: 2012-2013 Vermont Catamount Thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by uvm4life20 View Post
I agree with everything your saying. The post you quoted me on though said nothing about starting. I was just pointing out that UVM has 3 natural SF's in a two year span and it will be interesting seeing those players play other positions and how they adapt.

I really Kilpatrick can develop into a SG just needs to work on lateral quickness and I think Steidl can play some 4 later on in his career as he gets bigger and stronger. Taggart is strictly a 3 IMO. I can see all these players being on the floor at once.

Jim do you know if your son....er... Taggart will be redshirting. I was thinking it would be a good idea with the depth on the wing and they could change their mind if a serious injury happens.
sorry bad guess.. i do have two sons, one is 11 and one is 7, so no idea if Taggart is red shirting...what i do know is that i was running around the bleachers as a kid when Joe calavita was the man...and have been to every game i could since then...Proud to say the tradition is going strong with my boys... Just a big fan! Now that I have had some time to think about it, Why on earth would he red shirt? that would be three red shirts on this years roster, they could have let him stay in prep-school and got him next year and gave the scholly to someone else, unless they were worried his play over the next year would bring in more "lucrative" offers..my guess is they saw something in him that they wanted and that is why he is on the team this year.

Last edited by Jim Patrick; 10-23-2012 at 02:42 AM. Reason: second thought
Jim Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 05:31 AM   #139 (permalink)
Veteran
 

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Burlington, VT
Posts: 1,169
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Re: 2012-2013 Vermont Catamount Thread!

Taggart looked just fine to me in the scrimmage. He played some good D, rebounded and did other things besides shoot the three. He seems ready now.
NotDeadYet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 06:05 AM   #140 (permalink)
-PREMIUM MEMBER-
Photobucket
 
UVM Hoop Cat's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Boston
Posts: 22,078
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1317 Post(s)
Re: 2012-2013 Vermont Catamount Thread!

I don't really know why Taggart would red shirt at this point-. It would seem to me that we could really use the depth at his position- the 3. Especially considering the injury history of Luke/Crenca we can use all the rebounders and size we can get.

Additionally, and mainly, red shirting Taggart would add him to the graduating class of the already monster class we need to bring in for 2014.

I don't think Taggart would be in line for big minutes this year and I'm certainly not expecting big contributions, but I feel like he can contribute- especially once we get into AE play. I feel like the speed/athleticism of D1 will be an adjustment for him- but I like his game a lot. Great hoops IQ, team player, Rebounds, passes great, and can hit the open jumper. Do not see him able to score against heavy pressure or create his shot at this point in his career, but that's ok he doesn't need to now and we have other players that do that.
__________________
"Let's win this game for all the small schools that never had a chance to get here"
- Hoosiers,
& UVM mens basketball NCAA's 2005
UVM Hoop Cat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 06:06 AM   #141 (permalink)
Benchwarmer
 

Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 142
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Re: 2012-2013 Vermont Catamount Thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Patrick View Post
what i do know is that i was running around the bleachers as a kid when Joe calavita was the man...
Love the Calavita reference. His senior year was my frosh year (also Brennan's first year). A friend of mine was Joe's roommate and I used to have a picture of me holding Big Joe's hightops. They were big enough to actually house an old lady.
MileHiCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 06:31 AM   #142 (permalink)
Veteran
 

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: VT
Posts: 2,100
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Re: 2012-2013 Vermont Catamount Thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileHiCat View Post
Love the Calavita reference. His senior year was my frosh year (also Brennan's first year). A friend of mine was Joe's roommate and I used to have a picture of me holding Big Joe's hightops. They were big enough to actually house an old lady.
After my time, but.. holy cow. I had no idea.
UVM7680 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 10:49 AM   #143 (permalink)
Banned Member
 

Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 416
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Re: 2012-2013 Vermont Catamount Thread!

It's between you guys & The Brook for the PIG to The Dance
Nostrajimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 11:36 AM   #144 (permalink)
Veteran
 
Old_Cat_Fan's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: VT
Posts: 1,367
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Re: 2012-2013 Vermont Catamount Thread!

I'm kind of disappointed that the coaches didn't pick BU-red to win the conference. It always seemed like the "kiss-of-death" to be picked 1st by the coaches.
Old_Cat_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 03:00 PM   #145 (permalink)
Star
 

Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 2,897
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Re: 2012-2013 Vermont Catamount Thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by UVM Hoop Cat View Post
I don't really know why Taggart would red shirt at this point-. It would seem to me that we could really use the depth at his position- the 3. Especially considering the injury history of Luke/Crenca we can use all the rebounders and size we can get.

Additionally, and mainly, red shirting Taggart would add him to the graduating class of the already monster class we need to bring in for 2014.

I don't think Taggart would be in line for big minutes this year and I'm certainly not expecting big contributions, but I feel like he can contribute- especially once we get into AE play. I feel like the speed/athleticism of D1 will be an adjustment for him- but I like his game a lot. Great hoops IQ, team player, Rebounds, passes great, and can hit the open jumper. Do not see him able to score against heavy pressure or create his shot at this point in his career, but that's ok he doesn't need to now and we have other players that do that.
I saw something online that said Taggart might redshirt. I think it was an interview with him saying it was a possibility. UVM prolly wanted him a year early because a year in college would help him more than a year at prep school no matter how much he plays.

Also it would put Taggart in the 2013 class that only has two people. not the 2014 class as you stated.

Last edited by uvm4life20; 10-23-2012 at 06:10 PM.
uvm4life20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 03:24 PM   #146 (permalink)
-PREMIUM MEMBER-
Photobucket
 
UVM Hoop Cat's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Boston
Posts: 22,078
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1317 Post(s)
Re: 2012-2013 Vermont Catamount Thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by uvm4life20 View Post

Also it would put Taggart in the 2013 class that only has two people. not the 2014 class as you stated.
Good catch- you're right then he'd be part of 2013, not 2014.

Still, I don't like the idea of red shirting him and I have to imagine a big part of him joining the team this season was so he could play in 2012-13.

Plus, I think we need the depth he provides this season.
__________________
"Let's win this game for all the small schools that never had a chance to get here"
- Hoosiers,
& UVM mens basketball NCAA's 2005
UVM Hoop Cat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 03:32 PM   #147 (permalink)
Star
 

Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 2,897
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Re: 2012-2013 Vermont Catamount Thread!

yea I'm too concerned with lack of depth down low to redshirt him. Does anyone know the rule of when you can redshirt a player? IF he doesnt play in the first 10 games can you redshirt him?
uvm4life20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 03:37 PM   #148 (permalink)
Star
 
icemchine9's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 3,034
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Re: 2012-2013 Vermont Catamount Thread!

I believe if its a non medical redshirt he can't play in any games.
icemchine9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 04:17 PM   #149 (permalink)
Star
 

Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 2,897
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Re: 2012-2013 Vermont Catamount Thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by icemchine9 View Post
I believe if its a non medical redshirt he can't play in any games.
I think it's more than just not play in any games. I dont believe you can have somebody sit on the end of your bench all year and decide you want to redshirt him before the last game.

I was wondering if a player could be eligilbe for to play in the first ten games but not play and still be eligible for a redshirt.
uvm4life20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 05:34 PM   #150 (permalink)
Benchwarmer
 

Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 206
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Re: 2012-2013 Vermont Catamount Thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by uvm4life20 View Post
I saw something online that said Taggart might transfer. I think it was an interview with him saying it was a possibility. UVM prolly wanted him a year early because a year in college would help him more than a year at prep school no matter how much he plays.

Also it would put Taggart in the 2013 class that only has two people. not the 2014 class as you stated.
???? not sure what this is saying,how would him transferring put him in our 2013 class? is there a rule/scenerio i am not aware of?
Jim Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:56 PM.



User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 2002 2013 BasketballBoards.net.

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1