Retiring the number of an all time great - Page 3 - Basketball Forum : Professional and College Basketball Forums
BasketballForum.com is the premier basketball Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
User Tag List

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2013, 06:52 PM   #31 (permalink)
Benchwarmer
 
seawolfemeritus's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 180
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Re: Retiring the number of an all time great

[QUOTE=UVM Hoop Cat;7083602]Shhh, Patch c'mon I want to see how long this thing can go.

Creating an online petition to have a player's jersey retired....while he's still playing. And it's serious. You can't make this stuff up.

This has been comedic gold. I see Salty's posts are becoming truly inspirational to some of the other SBU fans.[/
QUOTE]

Agreeing w Hoop Cat and Patch is excruciatingly painful. I couldn't possibly have a greater appreciation for TB's game and contribution, but this discussion (and timing), along w the posts regarding SB's potential NCAA seeding...makes me understand why some species eat their young.
seawolfemeritus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 01-17-2013, 06:57 PM   #32 (permalink)
Veteran
 

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Burlington, VT
Posts: 1,169
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Re: Retiring the number of an all time great

Setting the bar too high means nobody gets their number retired. Given SBU's academics, should it require a Nobel prize?
NotDeadYet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 07:03 PM   #33 (permalink)
Star
 

Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 2,897
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Re: Retiring the number of an all time great

Quote:
Originally Posted by UVM Hoop Cat View Post
Shhh, Patch c'mon I want to see how long this thing can go.

Creating an online petition to have a player's jersey retired....while he's still playing. And it's serious. You can't make this stuff up.


This has been comedic gold. I see Salty's posts are becoming truly inspirational to some of the other SBU fans.
SB fans are always trying to crown things way to early. This isn't a suprise.
uvm4life20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 07:07 PM   #34 (permalink)
All-Star
 
bosiydid's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 7,533
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 311 Post(s)
Re: Retiring the number of an all time great

Quote:
Originally Posted by uvm4life20 View Post
SB fans are always trying to crown things way to early. This isn't a suprise.
You've been on point lately...kudos...
__________________
Albany basketball season ticket holder since..........June'06
bosiydid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 07:12 PM   #35 (permalink)
Veteran
 

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Burlington, VT
Posts: 1,169
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Re: Retiring the number of an all time great

Quote:
Originally Posted by uvm4life20 View Post
SB fans are always trying to crown things way to early. This isn't a suprise.
Very insightful. Thanks!
NotDeadYet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 07:30 PM   #36 (permalink)
Benchwarmer
 

Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 206
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Re: Retiring the number of an all time great

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycwolf View Post
If tommy wins this year their careers are comparable. Tommy needs an NCAA tournement appearance. obviously jamar will have more points and assists and an NCAA tournement appearance but after that it is pretty close. Tommy will have more rebounds, steals,less turnovers, wins, regular season titles, NIT appearances. Tommy has been on the All Rookie team, second team, all defensive team, defensive player of the year, and first team all conference. Tommy has school records in steals and rebounds and with some help will finish second in assists. Tommy can guard any position on the court and like jamar has the ability to take over the game without scoring a basket.


Jamar was better but to say that "sadly Tommy is no jamar" is a little much. If SBU wins he should have it retired. Looking at our most recent recruitign class Tommy has had a bigger effect on our program as a whole.
And do not forget that Jamar (who I could swear was at one time Jamari?) Travaled 80% of the time he drove to the basket! I have never seen a guy that could take his 2 and a half steps....jump stop then jump again for a lay up as good as him!
Jim Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 07:39 PM   #37 (permalink)
All-Star
 
bosiydid's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 7,533
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 311 Post(s)
Re: Retiring the number of an all time great

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Patrick View Post
And do not forget that Jamar (who I could swear was at one time Jamari?) Travaled 80% of the time he drove to the basket! I have never seen a guy that could take his 2 and a half steps....jump stop then jump again for a lay up as good as him!
Sounds like words of a jilted fan of a team he twice *itch-made to get into the NCAA tourney.

Your tears are sweet nectar...
__________________
Albany basketball season ticket holder since..........June'06
bosiydid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 08:24 PM   #38 (permalink)
Veteran
 
SaltySeawolf's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 2,237
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Re: Retiring the number of an all time great

If this petition is a rousing success and the administration at SBU decides to retire Tommy's jersey right away, does he have to play topless the rest of the season?
SaltySeawolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 02:13 AM   #39 (permalink)
Star
 

Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 3,483
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Re: Retiring the number of an all time great

Quote:
....If tommy wins this year their careers are comparable...NYCW
Before you compare Jamar and Tommy think about this....

How many time has Tommy been Player of the Year?

How many times has Tommy been Most Outstanding Player of the AE Tourney.

Not even close.

That's why one is an All Time Great and the other is a great player for their school.
Patch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 04:32 AM   #40 (permalink)
Star
 
ecasadoSBU's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Stony Brook, NY
Posts: 2,979
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Re: Retiring the number of an all time great

I think this thread should be closed IMHO
__________________
Everything a Stony Brook Fan Needs:

SBU FANS Message Board - http://sbufan.createaforum.com/index.php

I'MASEAWOLF News/Fan board/Blog: http://www.imaseawolf.com/

WUSB.FM - SBU Athletics Radio Streaming & Sports Blog: http://sbradiosports.blogspot.com/

Official Stony Brook Athletics Site: http://www.goseawolves.org/
ecasadoSBU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 05:29 AM   #41 (permalink)
All-Star
 
bosiydid's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 7,533
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 311 Post(s)
Re: Retiring the number of an all time great

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patch View Post
Before you compare Jamar and Tommy think about this....

How many time has Tommy been Player of the Year?

How many times has Tommy been Most Outstanding Player of the AE Tourney.

Not even close.

That's why one is an All Time Great and the other is a great player for their school.
Exactly...it's not even close.
__________________
Albany basketball season ticket holder since..........June'06
bosiydid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 07:32 AM   #42 (permalink)
-PREMIUM MEMBER-
Photobucket
 
UVM Hoop Cat's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Boston
Posts: 22,078
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1317 Post(s)
Re: Retiring the number of an all time great

My serious response though:

I think even just to receive consideration at minimum Brenton would have to get to the NCAA Tournament. Obviously, he's been the best player in SBU's D1 history thus far but in the world of retiring a players jersey, and no disrespect to Brenton who has been a tremendous player throughout his career for Stony Brook, he doesn't have the career numbers and accolades one would see from a player worthy of having their jersey retired, and if SBU did it would be setting the bar pretty low for themselves on retiring players jerseys IMO.

I get that all SBU fans love him, but if you took the name off the jersey and just looked at the numbers/accomplishments, it's not someone who gets their jersey retired.
__________________
"Let's win this game for all the small schools that never had a chance to get here"
- Hoosiers,
& UVM mens basketball NCAA's 2005
UVM Hoop Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 08:00 AM   #43 (permalink)
Star
 
ecasadoSBU's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Stony Brook, NY
Posts: 2,979
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Re: Retiring the number of an all time great

Quote:
Originally Posted by UVM Hoop Cat View Post
My serious response though:

I think even just to receive consideration at minimum Brenton would have to get to the NCAA Tournament. Obviously, he's been the best player in SBU's D1 history thus far but in the world of retiring a players jersey, and no disrespect to Brenton who has been a tremendous player throughout his career for Stony Brook, he doesn't have the career numbers and accolades one would see from a player worthy of having their jersey retired, and if SBU did it would be setting the bar pretty low for themselves on retiring players jerseys IMO.

I get that all SBU fans love him, but if you took the name off the jersey and just looked at the numbers/accomplishments, it's not someone who gets their jersey retired.
I agree. He's great. He's one of the best we have had. But not worthy of retirement yet...
__________________
Everything a Stony Brook Fan Needs:

SBU FANS Message Board - http://sbufan.createaforum.com/index.php

I'MASEAWOLF News/Fan board/Blog: http://www.imaseawolf.com/

WUSB.FM - SBU Athletics Radio Streaming & Sports Blog: http://sbradiosports.blogspot.com/

Official Stony Brook Athletics Site: http://www.goseawolves.org/
ecasadoSBU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 10:22 AM   #44 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
Photobucket
 
Vermonster's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Colorado Springs
Posts: 1,498
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Re: Retiring the number of an all time great

Something that never should be retired.

Evan Fjeld's Mustache
Vermonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 10:47 AM   #45 (permalink)
Star
 

Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 2,897
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Re: Retiring the number of an all time great

Benton, Roberson, and Gaines all had their number retired I believe and none of them made the ncaa tourney.
uvm4life20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:48 PM.



User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 2002 2013 BasketballBoards.net.

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1