Can we please add Bryant now??? - Basketball Forum : Professional and College Basketball Forums
BasketballForum.com is the premier basketball Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
User Tag List

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2013, 10:05 AM   #1 (permalink)
Star
 
umainealum's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 3,604
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 473 Post(s)
Can we please add Bryant now???

In the latest RPI rankings, Bryant is ranked #107, they are 13-4 & at the top of the NEC with a 6-0 conference record. They are located within the conference footprint, they are competitive in the league's premier sport (hoops), bring added membership for our AQ in baseball & field hockey and appear to have solid academics (I readily admit I don't know much other than what I have read about their academic rep).

I honestly cannot see a negative in getting this done ASAP.
__________________
UMaine - the epitome of mediocrity

April 14, 2014 - today is a new beginning for the University of Maine Men's Basketball program!!
umainealum is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 01-21-2013, 11:29 AM   #2 (permalink)
Benchwarmer
 

Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 169
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Re: Can we please add Bryant now???

Quote:
Originally Posted by umainealum View Post
In the latest RPI rankings, Bryant is ranked #107, they are 13-4 & at the top of the NEC with a 6-0 conference record. They are located within the conference footprint, they are competitive in the league's premier sport (hoops), bring added membership for our AQ in baseball & field hockey and appear to have solid academics (I readily admit I don't know much other than what I have read about their academic rep).

I honestly cannot see a negative in getting this done ASAP.
They're a good add not a great add. Ideally the AE would probably want to add a mid sized state school but there don't appear to be any great options. If I was AE commish I'd probably push to add Bryant while leaving one spot open just in case
Binghamtonswag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 04:04 PM   #3 (permalink)
-PREMIUM MEMBER-
Photobucket
 
UVM Hoop Cat's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Boston
Posts: 22,080
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1319 Post(s)
Re: Can we please add Bryant now???

Nah, let's wait until the MAAC adds them first.
__________________
"Let's win this game for all the small schools that never had a chance to get here"
- Hoosiers,
& UVM mens basketball NCAA's 2005
UVM Hoop Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 04:24 PM   #4 (permalink)
Star
 
umainealum's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 3,604
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 473 Post(s)
Re: Can we please add Bryant now???

Quote:
Originally Posted by UVM Hoop Cat View Post
Nah, let's wait until the MAAC adds them first.
I know...I'm really concerned that something like that happens and it's gonna leave us left out in the cold.
__________________
UMaine - the epitome of mediocrity

April 14, 2014 - today is a new beginning for the University of Maine Men's Basketball program!!
umainealum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 07:13 PM   #5 (permalink)
Rookie
 
Ryguy2779's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 34
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Re: Can we please add Bryant now???

Why exactly would Bryant jump to the AE from the NEC, when it's a parellel jump at best? What could the AE possibly offer that's so much better?

Who knows what happens in this college basketball relocation climate, but I have trouble seeing why Bryant ditches the NEC after they accepted the Bulldogs bid to transition from D-II.
Ryguy2779 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 07:37 PM   #6 (permalink)
Rookie
 

Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 54
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Do they have lacrosse? Hate to say it, but basketball is not AE's "premier sport." Lacrosse is where this conference is most competitive and where the conference office feels we can make the most noise...as much as it pains me to write this, it's the truth.


Sent from my iPhone using Verticalsports.com Free App
UVMFan2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 07:40 PM   #7 (permalink)
Star
 

Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 2,897
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Re: Can we please add Bryant now???

Academics. Does AE have a better lacrosse than NEC?
uvm4life20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 07:41 PM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran
 
goBing's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 1,113
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Re: Can we please add Bryant now???

Quote:
Originally Posted by UVMFan2007 View Post
Do they have lacrosse? Hate to say it, but basketball is not AE's "premier sport." Lacrosse is where this conference is most competitive and where the conference office feels we can make the most noise...as much as it pains me to write this, it's the truth.


Sent from my iPhone using Verticalsports.com Free App
But no one cares about Lacrosse. If we base this conference on something that no one (when I say no one I say most people) cares about this conference will never move forward. Basketball and Football are the only sports that people follow in masses.
goBing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 07:49 PM   #9 (permalink)
Benchwarmer
 

Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Maryland via New Hampshire
Age: 32
Posts: 149
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Re: Can we please add Bryant now???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryguy2779 View Post
Why exactly would Bryant jump to the AE from the NEC, when it's a parellel jump at best? What could the AE possibly offer that's so much better?

Who knows what happens in this college basketball relocation climate, but I have trouble seeing why Bryant ditches the NEC after they accepted the Bulldogs bid to transition from D-II.
The AEC is better than the NEC because the overall institutional quality is better. If you asked any administrator in the northeast which conference they'd rather be associated with, they'd look at the list of schools in each conference, then quickly pick the AEC. It would be unanimous. It is not close.

The idea that a transient RPI bump, between 2 one bid conferences, would fool anyone who's job actually depended on it is ridiculous.
Rhett1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 07:50 PM   #10 (permalink)
Rookie
 

Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 54
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
It's the fastest growing sport in this country, so I'd have to disagree with that assessment. I don't give a crap about it either, but it's the only sport this conference has any prayer of winning an NCAA Championship in anytime soon.


Sent from my iPhone using Verticalsports.com Free App
UVMFan2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 07:53 PM   #11 (permalink)
Benchwarmer
 
Zonid's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 219
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Re: Can we please add Bryant now???

I wonder if the Commish's office feels Delaware, Towson and / or Rhode Island (long shot?) may be in play once the A10 and CAA are raided....
Zonid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 08:03 PM   #12 (permalink)
6th Man
 

Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: the rock vt
Posts: 306
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Re: Can we please add Bryant now???

Quote:
Originally Posted by UVMFan2007 View Post
It's the fastest growing sport in this country, so I'd have to disagree with that assessment. I don't give a crap about it either, but it's the only sport this conference has any prayer of winning an NCAA Championship in anytime soon.


Sent from my iPhone using Verticalsports.com Free App
Never mind

Last edited by littlemanwithpants; 01-21-2013 at 08:08 PM.
littlemanwithpants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 08:03 PM   #13 (permalink)
Benchwarmer
 

Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Maryland via New Hampshire
Age: 32
Posts: 149
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Re: Can we please add Bryant now???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonid View Post
I wonder if the Commish's office feels Delaware, Towson and / or Rhode Island (long shot?) may be in play once the A10 and CAA are raided....
That seems like an unrealistic longshot, but that's the only rational explanation for why the conference has delayed expansion for so long.
Rhett1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 08:05 PM   #14 (permalink)
Benchwarmer
 

Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Maryland via New Hampshire
Age: 32
Posts: 149
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Re: Can we please add Bryant now???

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlemanwithpants View Post
I think the UVM ski team would disagree with you...
The AEC took over the EISA? Sweet! I don't know how I feel about adding UMPI as an associate member, but I'm pretty stoked about Harvard and BC coming aboard.

Unless, you know, the AEC still doesn't sponsor skiing...
Rhett1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 08:07 PM   #15 (permalink)
6th Man
 

Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: the rock vt
Posts: 306
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Re: Can we please add Bryant now???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhett1 View Post
The AEC took over the EISA? Sweet! I don't know how I feel about adding UMPI as an associate member, but I'm pretty stoked about Harvard and BC coming aboard.

Unless, you know, the AEC still doesn't sponsor skiing...
Just realized as soon as I replied
littlemanwithpants is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:46 AM.



User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 2002 2013 BasketballBoards.net.

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1