UVM @ Hartford 1/30/13 - Page 15 - Basketball Forum : Professional and College Basketball Forums
BasketballForum.com is the premier basketball Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
User Tag List

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2013, 01:31 PM   #211 (permalink)
Veteran
 

Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 1,362
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Rep Power: 92117
lsbal84 has disabled reputation
Re: UVM @ Hartford 1/30/13

A small video showing some sequences in the game as well as some comments from Coach Gal/Nwakamma & Schneck:

http://www.hartfordhawks.com/

Video is on the right hand side.

Not sure what has happened to Hartford's shooting (Sikma? Cole? the last 6 games or so...and more specifically what has happened to Cooper since the Stonybrook game. He was chugging along had 18 at Stony and shooting 47% from 3 and now barely shoots and when he does has been tossing up bricks. I do see he has been wearing a brace on one wrist since the Stony game. Maybe that is really effectng him. I wish they didn't lose Dyson as he was able to put up the highest percentage of points per minute on the team. I hope he can come back ok as he will need to have a rib taken out.

I thought both teams played well on D and both teams were physical. Hartford's shooting was obviously abysmal. Call me crazy but I thought the player of the game for UVM was Elbaum. His defense was phenomenal and he seemed to be the one guy who could beat the D and take it to the hole to finish. Obviously Volkel had a good game as well but I expect him to. Nice to see Apfeld back.

By the way....nice meeting VT Cats Fan at the game.
lsbal84 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 01-31-2013, 01:38 PM   #212 (permalink)
Star
 

Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 2,883
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 310 Post(s)
Rep Power: 8188
farfromtheshow has disabled reputation
Re: UVM @ Hartford 1/30/13

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsbal84 View Post
A small video showing some sequences in the game as well as some comments from Coach Gal/Nwakamma & Schneck:

http://www.hartfordhawks.com/

Video is on the right hand side.

Not sure what has happened to Hartford's shooting (Sikma? Cole? the last 6 games or so...and more specifically what has happened to Cooper since the Stonybrook game. He was chugging along had 18 at Stony and shooting 47% from 3 and now barely shoots and when he does has been tossing up bricks. I do see he has been wearing a brace on one wrist since the Stony game. Maybe that is really effectng him. I wish they didn't lose Dyson as he was able to put up the highest percentage of points per minute on the team. I hope he can come back ok as he will need to have a rib taken out.

I thought both teams played well on D and both teams were physical. Hartford's shooting was obviously abysmal. Call me crazy but I thought the player of the game for UVM was Elbaum. His defense was phenomenal and he seemed to be the one guy who could beat the D and take it to the hole to finish. Obviously Volkel had a good game as well but I expect him to. Nice to see Apfeld back.

By the way....nice meeting VT Cats Fan at the game.
Just going to post the article again here: http://www.onebidwonders.com/2013/01/31/gutting-it-out/

The bottom line for Hartford: They play really, really hard. Nwakamma is a very good player and if left 1-on-1 can dominate games. When he's doubled, he usually is adept at passing out of it and when the Hawks are on, they can make teams pay from behind the arc. The huge problem is they have ZERO contingency plan for when Nwakamma get's swarmed and the shots aren't galling. Last night, to me, was absolutely abhorrent as the Hawks didn't seem to make any attempt to generate offense going towards and around the hoop. It's called "high-percentage shots" for a reason, and Hartford just flat out cant sustain success if they can't score even a little bit around the hoop...

They shot 57.1 percent from inside the arc last night and 17.1 percent from behind it, yet they took 60 percent of their shots from downtown.
farfromtheshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 01:41 PM   #213 (permalink)
Veteran
 

Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 1,362
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Rep Power: 92117
lsbal84 has disabled reputation
Re: UVM @ Hartford 1/30/13

Quote:
Originally Posted by farfromtheshow View Post
Just going to post the article again here: http://www.onebidwonders.com/2013/01/31/gutting-it-out/

The bottom line for Hartford: They play really, really hard. Nwakamma is a very good player and if left 1-on-1 can dominate games. When he's doubled, he usually is adept at passing out of it and when the Hawks are on, they can make teams pay from behind the arc. The huge problem is they have ZERO contingency plan for when Nwakamma get's swarmed and the shots aren't galling. Last night, to me, was absolutely abhorrent as the Hawks didn't seem to make any attempt to generate offense going towards and around the hoop. It's called "high-percentage shots" for a reason, and Hartford just flat out cant sustain success if they can't score even a little bit around the hoop...

They shot 57.1 percent from inside the arc last night and 17.1 percent from behind it, yet they took 60 percent of their shots from downtown.
What do you make of Cooper lately? Is he injured?

By the way.....I thought Schneck looked good last night....he probably needs more touches down low.
lsbal84 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 01:46 PM   #214 (permalink)
Star
 

Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 2,883
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Rep Power: 18434
uvm4life20 has much to be proud of uvm4life20 has much to be proud of uvm4life20 has much to be proud of uvm4life20 has much to be proud of uvm4life20 has much to be proud of uvm4life20 has much to be proud of uvm4life20 has much to be proud of uvm4life20 has much to be proud of uvm4life20 has much to be proud of uvm4life20 has much to be proud of uvm4life20 has much to be proud of
Re: UVM @ Hartford 1/30/13

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycwolf View Post
Once again we are 4-5 against you. with every team winning at home except SBU's 22 point thrashing at hartford(a game when you had injuries but we were missing our best player) and vermont dominating last year in the finals. This domination that you talk about isnt there. To say that this year's game was total domination would be a little much.

Position by position SBU is better than hartford and BU. McAlister being the one maybe.
Once again games from 2 years ago don't mean much in regards to who can beat who right now. UVM is 3-1 against SB with this year and last year. The two years that matter when comparing current players. I don't know why you want to compare games from 4 years ago. I guess to make you feel better about SB.

I think most people would agree that UVM dominated the SB game this year. Sure SB came back but it was too little too late and UVM had a lead of 18 points deep into the second half.

I agree that SB is better than Hartford and BU but it's not every position. SB being better than Hartford and BU though has nothing to do with matchups. Certain teams match up better against others and I don't think you understand this concept.
uvm4life20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 02:06 PM   #215 (permalink)
Star
 

Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 2,883
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Rep Power: 18434
uvm4life20 has much to be proud of uvm4life20 has much to be proud of uvm4life20 has much to be proud of uvm4life20 has much to be proud of uvm4life20 has much to be proud of uvm4life20 has much to be proud of uvm4life20 has much to be proud of uvm4life20 has much to be proud of uvm4life20 has much to be proud of uvm4life20 has much to be proud of uvm4life20 has much to be proud of
Re: UVM @ Hartford 1/30/13

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceandogs View Post
I'm curious what you think UVM's favorable matchups against Stony Brook are? Stony Brook gave up 81(!) points to UVM. I think that's important take away from the last meeting.
I think Tommy Brenton is wasted guarding a guy like Voelkel. To have Tommy guard Rusin/Blue and Coley guard Voelkel doesnt make much sense either. Voelkel could abuse coley on the boards. I also think Rugg plays really well against Brenton. The last two games I have seen Rugg take it to Brenton really well. I think Rugg's length is tough for Brenton to cover when Brenton moves to the 4 because of Rugg's speed and agility that comes with it.

Besides limiting the effectivness of SB's best defender I also think the system works well against SB. UVM doesnt try to beat guys off the dribble and I think one of SB's biggest strength on defense is stopping players from driving.
uvm4life20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 02:20 PM   #216 (permalink)
Seawolf Nation
 
TheSeawolf Roar's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: The Brook
Posts: 276
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Rep Power: 1412
TheSeawolf Roar is a name known to all TheSeawolf Roar is a name known to all TheSeawolf Roar is a name known to all TheSeawolf Roar is a name known to all TheSeawolf Roar is a name known to all TheSeawolf Roar is a name known to all TheSeawolf Roar is a name known to all TheSeawolf Roar is a name known to all TheSeawolf Roar is a name known to all TheSeawolf Roar is a name known to all TheSeawolf Roar is a name known to all
Re: UVM @ Hartford 1/30/13

i completely agree with 420. tommy guarding vokel is a complete waste. he needs to stay on rusin/blue/elbum
TheSeawolf Roar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 02:25 PM   #217 (permalink)
Star
 

Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 2,883
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Rep Power: 18434
uvm4life20 has much to be proud of uvm4life20 has much to be proud of uvm4life20 has much to be proud of uvm4life20 has much to be proud of uvm4life20 has much to be proud of uvm4life20 has much to be proud of uvm4life20 has much to be proud of uvm4life20 has much to be proud of uvm4life20 has much to be proud of uvm4life20 has much to be proud of uvm4life20 has much to be proud of
Re: UVM @ Hartford 1/30/13

Elbaum would be even worse than guarding Voelkel. Atleast Tommy could keep Brian off the boards. It would be interesting to see him guarding Blue or Rusin.
uvm4life20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 02:39 PM   #218 (permalink)
Seawolf Nation
 
TheSeawolf Roar's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: The Brook
Posts: 276
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Rep Power: 1412
TheSeawolf Roar is a name known to all TheSeawolf Roar is a name known to all TheSeawolf Roar is a name known to all TheSeawolf Roar is a name known to all TheSeawolf Roar is a name known to all TheSeawolf Roar is a name known to all TheSeawolf Roar is a name known to all TheSeawolf Roar is a name known to all TheSeawolf Roar is a name known to all TheSeawolf Roar is a name known to all TheSeawolf Roar is a name known to all
Re: UVM @ Hartford 1/30/13

elbum would give him a break n let him catch his breath. i think dave can stop vokel with help down low of course.
TheSeawolf Roar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 02:43 PM   #219 (permalink)
Seawolf Nation
 
TheSeawolf Roar's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: The Brook
Posts: 276
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Rep Power: 1412
TheSeawolf Roar is a name known to all TheSeawolf Roar is a name known to all TheSeawolf Roar is a name known to all TheSeawolf Roar is a name known to all TheSeawolf Roar is a name known to all TheSeawolf Roar is a name known to all TheSeawolf Roar is a name known to all TheSeawolf Roar is a name known to all TheSeawolf Roar is a name known to all TheSeawolf Roar is a name known to all TheSeawolf Roar is a name known to all
Re: UVM @ Hartford 1/30/13

pikell is just so stubborn. he wont change defensively and uvm has our offensive sets memorized. i guarantee u he will go out changing nothing and hope that something will change, and a few more made shots will be the difference. instead of making a game changing decision and drastically change things up throughout the game.
TheSeawolf Roar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 02:50 PM   #220 (permalink)
Benchwarmer
 
Ttime's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 192
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Rep Power: 77
Ttime has a spectacular aura about Ttime has a spectacular aura about Ttime has a spectacular aura about Ttime has a spectacular aura about Ttime has a spectacular aura about Ttime has a spectacular aura about Ttime has a spectacular aura about Ttime has a spectacular aura about Ttime has a spectacular aura about Ttime has a spectacular aura about Ttime has a spectacular aura about
Re: UVM @ Hartford 1/30/13

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSeawolf Roar View Post
pikell is just so stubborn. he wont change defensively and uvm has our offensive sets memorized. i guarantee u he will go out changing nothing and hope that something will change, and a few more made shots will be the difference. instead of making a game changing decision and drastically change things up throughout the game.
If Pikell does not change is Coaching style. SBU will not beat Vermont.....
Ttime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 02:56 PM   #221 (permalink)
Seawolf Nation
 
TheSeawolf Roar's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: The Brook
Posts: 276
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Rep Power: 1412
TheSeawolf Roar is a name known to all TheSeawolf Roar is a name known to all TheSeawolf Roar is a name known to all TheSeawolf Roar is a name known to all TheSeawolf Roar is a name known to all TheSeawolf Roar is a name known to all TheSeawolf Roar is a name known to all TheSeawolf Roar is a name known to all TheSeawolf Roar is a name known to all TheSeawolf Roar is a name known to all TheSeawolf Roar is a name known to all
Re: UVM @ Hartford 1/30/13

changing the starting 5, and creating more favorable offensive matchups for ourselves might be a lil more beneficial.

warney - oday
mcalister - rugg
king - vokel
brenton - rusin
aj/dave - carissimo
TheSeawolf Roar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 03:02 PM   #222 (permalink)
Veteran
 
jtmac's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 1,495
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Rep Power: 21389
jtmac has much to be proud of jtmac has much to be proud of jtmac has much to be proud of jtmac has much to be proud of jtmac has much to be proud of jtmac has much to be proud of jtmac has much to be proud of jtmac has much to be proud of jtmac has much to be proud of jtmac has much to be proud of jtmac has much to be proud of
Re: UVM @ Hartford 1/30/13

No matter how you draw it up SBU and Vermont are very evenly matched.
jtmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 03:08 PM   #223 (permalink)
Seawolf Nation
 
TheSeawolf Roar's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: The Brook
Posts: 276
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Rep Power: 1412
TheSeawolf Roar is a name known to all TheSeawolf Roar is a name known to all TheSeawolf Roar is a name known to all TheSeawolf Roar is a name known to all TheSeawolf Roar is a name known to all TheSeawolf Roar is a name known to all TheSeawolf Roar is a name known to all TheSeawolf Roar is a name known to all TheSeawolf Roar is a name known to all TheSeawolf Roar is a name known to all TheSeawolf Roar is a name known to all
Re: UVM @ Hartford 1/30/13

love how we can turn any thread into a sbu vs uvm conversation
TheSeawolf Roar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 04:26 AM   #224 (permalink)
Veteran
 

Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: NYC
Posts: 1,848
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 486 Post(s)
Rep Power: 3196
nycwolf is a name known to all nycwolf is a name known to all nycwolf is a name known to all nycwolf is a name known to all nycwolf is a name known to all nycwolf is a name known to all nycwolf is a name known to all nycwolf is a name known to all nycwolf is a name known to all nycwolf is a name known to all nycwolf is a name known to all
Re: UVM @ Hartford 1/30/13

Quote:
Originally Posted by uvm4life20 View Post
Once again games from 2 years ago don't mean much in regards to who can beat who right now. UVM is 3-1 against SB with this year and last year. The two years that matter when comparing current players. I don't know why you want to compare games from 4 years ago. I guess to make you feel better about SB.

I think most people would agree that UVM dominated the SB game this year. Sure SB came back but it was too little too late and UVM had a lead of 18 points deep into the second half.

I agree that SB is better than Hartford and BU but it's not every position. SB being better than Hartford and BU though has nothing to do with matchups. Certain teams match up better against others and I don't think you understand this concept.

current players this year and last year? Stony brook graduated 3 of their starting 5 and a key reserve since last year. 2 of which were 4 year starters. You guys beat us by 8 at your place. Do you know you guys beat albany, binghamton, and umbc at home by 20+. I mean you are supposed to win at home and you did. we had it down to 4 i think. not so dominating. And if you want to bring up voelkel being T'd up well you cant act like a jerk to the ref, the refs sucked for us too, AJ was out, Apfielf was out...the list goes on about all the excuses both teams can make. The bottom line is you won by 8.
nycwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 04:31 AM   #225 (permalink)
Veteran
 

Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: NYC
Posts: 1,848
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 486 Post(s)
Rep Power: 3196
nycwolf is a name known to all nycwolf is a name known to all nycwolf is a name known to all nycwolf is a name known to all nycwolf is a name known to all nycwolf is a name known to all nycwolf is a name known to all nycwolf is a name known to all nycwolf is a name known to all nycwolf is a name known to all nycwolf is a name known to all
Re: UVM @ Hartford 1/30/13

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSeawolf Roar View Post
changing the starting 5, and creating more favorable offensive matchups for ourselves might be a lil more beneficial.

warney - oday
mcalister - rugg
king - vokel
brenton - rusin
aj/dave - carissimo

not sure if you know this but you cant start 6 guys. No matter what piekel does he cant change that.

Are you really suggesting we start king. king has started playing well the last 2 games. AJ, dave, tommy, warny and mcalister gies us our best chance to win.I would swap mcalister with rouse and go small in a second. WE have the best defense in the conference. why would you change what we do best.
nycwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:39 PM.



User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 2002 2013 BasketballBoards.net.

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1