UMass Lowell to America East - Page 3 - Basketball Forum : Professional and College Basketball Forums
BasketballForum.com is the premier basketball Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
User Tag List

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2013, 07:31 AM   #31 (permalink)
Examiner
 
iBOsbu's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Capital Beltway
Posts: 456
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Re: UMass Lowell to America East

We can forget about Bryant to AE.

"Word is Bryant snubbed the league" source: @onebidwonders

I guess its going to be 9 members for forseeable future
iBOsbu is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 02-13-2013, 07:32 AM   #32 (permalink)
Star
 
Dane96's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Boston
Posts: 3,684
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Re: UMass Lowell to America East

Quote:
Originally Posted by iBOsbu View Post
You know why it makes more sense,
Just go through the top public university list

#37 Binghamton
#40 Stony Brook
#40 Vermont
#51 New Hampshire
#65 Albany
#83 Maine
#87 UMBC
#94 UMass-Lowell

Similar institutiions all in top 100 (Hartford is private).

I still hope we add Bryant but I guess they dont want to go independent with their football program.
Don't drink the "Best of Rankings" Kool Aid. If a kid comes to me from UM-L and I have a choice between that person and someone from another academic background...that kid from UM-L better be the most charming and intelligent human around!
Dane96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 07:33 AM   #33 (permalink)
Star
 
Dane96's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Boston
Posts: 3,684
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Re: UMass Lowell to America East

Quote:
Originally Posted by iBOsbu View Post
We can forget about Bryant to AE.

"Word is Bryant snubbed the league" source: @onebidwonders

I guess its going to be 9 members for forseeable future
Could be possible...and I would think it is because of one reason: FOOTBALL. Another FU present from Boston University.
Dane96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 07:35 AM   #34 (permalink)
All-Star
 
NU Hoop Fan's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Boston
Posts: 5,210
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Re: UMass Lowell to America East

BUT MARTY MEEHAN SAID LOWELL IS A GREAT SCHOOL.

C'mon Dane, a corrupt Mass Hack Politician heads up the place, what do you want.

Be careful what you wish for with Lowell.

As part of the UMass system, they'll have admissions policies as wide as the Grand Canyon and can take anyone with a mild academic issue. have it declared a learning disability, and get them into school.

UMass Amherst does it all the time.

Lowell isn't as big of a pit as people think, but it's still not a garden spot.
__________________
Today is the first day of the next 86 years!
NU Hoop Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 07:39 AM   #35 (permalink)
Star
 
Dane96's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Boston
Posts: 3,684
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Re: UMass Lowell to America East

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleMike View Post
I happen to like the city of Lowell. They have a great Red Sox farm team which draws well. I go to the hockey games vs BU and they always have good crowds. The community supports their teams and the school is improving academically. They have a very good reputation for Engineering and Biotech.

Overall, I think it makes great sense and I wish UML best of luck for a bright D1 future.
Mike- the Biotech program is a joint program with Dartmouth, Worcester and I think Boston. The UMASS SYSTEM...is known for Biotech...not UM-L. The system produces more patents than any other school.

The only reason the engineering degree is considered a good bet is because they have that nuclear reactor up there that the students get to play with.

Now the education school...has a great repuation locally.
Dane96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 07:40 AM   #36 (permalink)
Veteran
 
GoCatsGo's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Catamount Country
Posts: 1,838
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Re: UMass Lowell to America East

When we all cry, and scream, and shout until we're red in the face when the league does absolutely nothing...we all need to at least politely golf clap when the league does *something.*

This...is something. I'm not 100% sure what it is, but it *is* something.
GoCatsGo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 07:42 AM   #37 (permalink)
Star
 
Dane96's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Boston
Posts: 3,684
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Re: UMass Lowell to America East

Quote:
Originally Posted by NU Hoop Fan View Post
BUT MARTY MEEHAN SAID LOWELL IS A GREAT SCHOOL.

C'mon Dane, a corrupt Mass Hack Politician heads up the place, what do you want.

Be careful what you wish for with Lowell.

As part of the UMass system, they'll have admissions policies as wide as the Grand Canyon and can take anyone with a mild academic issue. have it declared a learning disability, and get them into school.

UMass Amherst does it all the time.

Lowell isn't as big of a pit as people think, but it's still not a garden spot.
Boom...all of this!!!!

And when we were conference mates with UM-L there were always "suspect" kids on their teams...much like SNHU and Bridgeport, which made them athletic powerhouses.

I have no problem with ANY school in our conference...but this move is desperate...at BEST.
Dane96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 07:42 AM   #38 (permalink)
All-Star
 
NU Hoop Fan's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Boston
Posts: 5,210
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Re: UMass Lowell to America East

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCatsGo View Post
When we all cry, and scream, and shout until we're red in the face when the league does absolutely nothing...we all need to at least politely golf clap when the league does *something.*

This...is something. I'm not 100% sure what it is, but it *is* something.
+1

If you take the emotion away, it's not THAT bad of a move, when you consider the options.

The AE isn't beer goggling with Lowell, but it's about 11:30 pm at night, they're at Daisy Buchannan's on Newbury and the available talent just isn't there, so they went for the chick with the big guns who, with some time in the gym might not be that bad to hook up with.
__________________
Today is the first day of the next 86 years!
NU Hoop Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 07:43 AM   #39 (permalink)
Examiner
 
iBOsbu's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Capital Beltway
Posts: 456
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Re: UMass Lowell to America East

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane96 View Post
Could be possible...and I would think it is because of one reason: FOOTBALL. Another FU present from Boston University.
BU really screwed up AE by not letting Football in, which in turn cause the exodus to CAA. But I guess I also have to thank them for it because it opened the door for SBU to Div 1.

Btw, in reply to your longer post, I dont think there will ever be any meltdown in CAA/A10/PL even with the arrival of Catholic 7. None of their members are ever coming to AE. We can forget that pipe dream. PL is almost as secure as it can be. A10 will again raid CAA and CAA will again raid SoCon, SoCon will probably raid BigSouth or merge.
iBOsbu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 07:48 AM   #40 (permalink)
Star
 
Dane96's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Boston
Posts: 3,684
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Re: UMass Lowell to America East

Quote:
Originally Posted by NU Hoop Fan View Post
+1

If you take the emotion away, it's not THAT bad of a move, when you consider the options.

The AE isn't beer goggling with Lowell, but it's about 11:30 pm at night, they're at Daisy Buchannan's on Newbury and the available talent just isn't there, so they went for the chick with the big guns who, with some time in the gym might not be that bad to hook up with.
HAHAHAHA!!! This one is for every Boston guy who has ever partied hard...and tried to get laid. OMG...HELLO ALL MEN in their 20's...and those looking back on their 20's.
Dane96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 07:48 AM   #41 (permalink)
Star
 
Dane96's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Boston
Posts: 3,684
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Re: UMass Lowell to America East

Quote:
Originally Posted by iBOsbu View Post
BU really screwed up AE by not letting Football in, which in turn cause the exodus to CAA. But I guess I also have to thank them for it because it opened the door for SBU to Div 1.

Btw, in reply to your longer post, I dont think there will ever be any meltdown in CAA/A10/PL even with the arrival of Catholic 7. None of their members are ever coming to AE. We can forget that pipe dream. PL is almost as secure as it can be. A10 will again raid CAA and CAA will again raid SoCon, SoCon will probably raid BigSouth or merge.
There will be more moves than you think.
Dane96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 07:49 AM   #42 (permalink)
Examiner
 
iBOsbu's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Capital Beltway
Posts: 456
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Re: UMass Lowell to America East

btw.. I dont follow hockey but just wondering. How is big is UML's hockey? Are they good in Hockey East? Does Tsongas get sold out?
iBOsbu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 07:51 AM   #43 (permalink)
Examiner
 
iBOsbu's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Capital Beltway
Posts: 456
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Re: UMass Lowell to America East

Quote:
Originally Posted by NU Hoop Fan View Post
+1

If you take the emotion away, it's not THAT bad of a move, when you consider the options.

The AE isn't beer goggling with Lowell, but it's about 11:30 pm at night, they're at Daisy Buchannan's on Newbury and the available talent just isn't there, so they went for the chick with the big guns who, with some time in the gym might not be that bad to hook up with.
Lol
iBOsbu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 07:51 AM   #44 (permalink)
Veteran
 

Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: NYC
Posts: 1,992
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 534 Post(s)
Re: UMass Lowell to America East

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane96 View Post
I am calling pooh-pooh on your post. And before you shoot me down, I too live here...I drive past and through Lowell every weekend on the way to Vermont...and SBU and UA are very familiar with the athletic profile as we were former conference mates. Did I mention I was a former partner in a coffee Cafe in Lowell that catered to a huge soccer crowd?!?

Lowell is a HORRIBLE academic school (and don't go throwing out US NEWS or whatnot)in any sense of the word compared to the AE brethren. NONE OF US...NOT ONE...would choose this school as a school they want to have their child attend.

As for Downtown Lowell, it is pretty because it's old...but that is it. They have some great ethnic festivals...but you are talking about a town that is mostly made up of Laotian, Vietnamese, Brazilian and some Portuguese immigrants. They are not going to support that school in a rah-rah DI way. And Lowell is still dangerous in many areas...but I am not holding that against them because that would be akin to saying Albany is dangerous because of Arbor Hill.

I am not being a snob academically or athleticly, and I do understand UA was once a DII school. However our academic profile was completely different than Lowell.

Does Lowell have potential: Sure...sure does. But they need HUGE bucks from the state for their "research" growth that they simply are not going to receive today or tomorrow.

Am I happy that I will be able to take a 45 minute drive to catch my Danes play...sure.

However, they do not add football and they do not add men's lacrosse. I'd have preferred waiting for the fallout that WILL occur with the CAA/A-Ten/Catholic 7/PL meltdown (more on that another time for me...and I believe the PL will get stronger with the pickup of W&M down the line).

Alternatively, I would have been happy with Bryant as the sole add.
Or socially. Drive to vermont every weekend, part owner of a coffee shop... Must be nice to be you
nycwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 07:52 AM   #45 (permalink)
Star
 
Dane96's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Boston
Posts: 3,684
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Re: UMass Lowell to America East

Was...a small partner. And sorry if I like to go to Vermont.

Your point?
Dane96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:09 PM.



User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 2002 2013 BasketballBoards.net.

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1