UMass Lowell to America East - Page 4 - Basketball Forum : Professional and College Basketball Forums
BasketballForum.com is the premier basketball Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
User Tag List

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2013, 06:59 AM   #46 (permalink)
All-Star
 
NU Hoop Fan's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Boston
Posts: 5,191
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Re: UMass Lowell to America East

Quote:
Originally Posted by iBOsbu View Post
btw.. I dont follow hockey but just wondering. How is big is UML's hockey? Are they good in Hockey East? Does Tsongas get sold out?
It's good in HEA because they can take kids that don't meet the standards at NU, BU, BC, etc. They traditionally have a lot of French Canadians whose knowledge of English isn't strong - but they can get them in as a state school.

Tsongas has had some good crowds this year, but in the past they haven't supported the AHL all that well. The Spinners draw well because it's affordable high quality entertainment, and the parking is cheap - and next to the field, so you don't have to walk through the bowels of Lowell.

The parts of Lowell near Andover are gorgeous, but that's not all that close to UML.
__________________
Today is the first day of the next 86 years!
NU Hoop Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 02-13-2013, 07:01 AM   #47 (permalink)
Star
 
umainealum's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 3,604
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 473 Post(s)
Re: UMass Lowell to America East

Is this perfect? No. Does it make sense & give the conference some added stability? Yes. That's all I have been wanting this league to do is add someone and give us some stability.

When the SUNY-3 were added, I was against it because I really didn't know much about them and they were moving up from D-II. All 3 turned out to be great ads and are valuable members of this conference. I have a feeling Lowell will also turn out to be that as well.
__________________
UMaine - the epitome of mediocrity

April 14, 2014 - today is a new beginning for the University of Maine Men's Basketball program!!
umainealum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 07:06 AM   #48 (permalink)
Star
 
ccd494's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 2,650
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Re: UMass Lowell to America East

I like it.
ccd494 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 07:07 AM   #49 (permalink)
-PREMIUM MEMBER-
Photobucket
 
UVM Hoop Cat's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Boston
Posts: 22,080
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1319 Post(s)
Re: UMass Lowell to America East

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane96 View Post
HAHAHAHA!!! This one is for every Boston guy who has ever partied hard...and tried to get laid. OMG...HELLO ALL MEN in their 20's...and those looking back on their 20's.
And also most players on the Boston Red Sox (Daisy's reference).
__________________
"Let's win this game for all the small schools that never had a chance to get here"
- Hoosiers,
& UVM mens basketball NCAA's 2005
UVM Hoop Cat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 07:09 AM   #50 (permalink)
Examiner
 
iBOsbu's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Capital Beltway
Posts: 450
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Re: UMass Lowell to America East

Quote:
Originally Posted by NU Hoop Fan View Post
It's good in HEA because they can take kids that don't meet the standards at NU, BU, BC, etc. They traditionally have a lot of French Canadians whose knowledge of English isn't strong - but they can get them in as a state school.

Tsongas has had some good crowds this year, but in the past they haven't supported the AHL all that well. The Spinners draw well because it's affordable high quality entertainment, and the parking is cheap - and next to the field, so you don't have to walk through the bowels of Lowell.

The parts of Lowell near Andover are gorgeous, but that's not all that close to UML.
Thank you! I suppose if they have good crowd for hockey games, it would be same for basketball games.
iBOsbu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 07:10 AM   #51 (permalink)
-PREMIUM MEMBER-
Photobucket
 
UVM Hoop Cat's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Boston
Posts: 22,080
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1319 Post(s)
Re: UMass Lowell to America East

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane96 View Post

Am I happy that I will be able to take a 45 minute drive to catch my Danes play...sure.
This is the only reason I like it, with conference stability and potential tournament host at Tsongas following.
__________________
"Let's win this game for all the small schools that never had a chance to get here"
- Hoosiers,
& UVM mens basketball NCAA's 2005
UVM Hoop Cat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 07:11 AM   #52 (permalink)
Star
 
Dane96's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Boston
Posts: 3,614
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Re: UMass Lowell to America East

Quote:
Originally Posted by UVM Hoop Cat View Post
And also most players on the Boston Red Sox (Daisy's reference).
I have a great Derek Jeter, Nomar Garciaparra and moi story for you. We have to get a beer one day. Heck, I don't even know if NUHF knows this story...remind me to tell you about it as well.

Oh Daisy Buch's...how you have wet the whistle of many of a lad.
Dane96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 07:16 AM   #53 (permalink)
Star
 
ccd494's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 2,650
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Re: UMass Lowell to America East

Quote:
Originally Posted by iBOsbu View Post
Thank you! I suppose if they have good crowd for hockey games, it would be same for basketball games.
Umm.... I think BU, UNH, and Maine have pretty conclusively disproved that.
ccd494 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 07:17 AM   #54 (permalink)
Star
 
Dane96's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Boston
Posts: 3,614
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Re: UMass Lowell to America East

Quote:
Originally Posted by umainealum View Post
Is this perfect? No. Does it make sense & give the conference some added stability? Yes. That's all I have been wanting this league to do is add someone and give us some stability.

When the SUNY-3 were added, I was against it because I really didn't know much about them and they were moving up from D-II. All 3 turned out to be great ads and are valuable members of this conference. I have a feeling Lowell will also turn out to be that as well.
I think you are correct from one angle...and I will couch my disdain for the move by saying the following:

1) While many of you did not know the SUNY's (or our direction) I do know the past of Lowell from a resident viewpoint, a conference athletic mate view point, and a general conceptual viewpoint. That viewpoint is marred in years of nonsense in many of these areas(they used to have Police in the "Cage" because of violence towards players from fans).

2) Moving forward...maybe the new regime (and NUHF is really right about the poltico who runs this school being a poltical hack) will move the school in a great direction.

3) Part of my disdain is for what BU controlled...and also for my school and other schools allowing BU to run the direction of the league for FAR TOO LONG!

4) Part of my disdain is that I firmly believe if Dr. Hall didn't pass so untimely, a lot of the shennangins would have been cut off at the pass; that's how influential the guy was.

So...I will warmly welcome UM-L but I will do so with one hand on the release lever until they prove otherwise. We needed stability...this provides it...but unless there are major athletic and academic profile changes...this will be a warm body only.
Dane96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 07:19 AM   #55 (permalink)
Star
 

Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 2,942
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Re: UMass Lowell to America East

Quote:
Originally Posted by UVM Hoop Cat View Post
And also most players on the Boston Red Sox (Daisy's reference).
Oh the memories I have of daisy's, where on a given night in the early 2000's you'd have the entire BU men's basketball team holding court at one end of the bar, and Derek Lowe and Kevin youkilis chasing around 17 year old girls with bad fake id's at the other... But they let me in when I was 17-20 so I'm not complaining lol.
farfromtheshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 07:22 AM   #56 (permalink)
-PREMIUM MEMBER-
Photobucket
 
UVM Hoop Cat's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Boston
Posts: 22,080
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1319 Post(s)
Re: UMass Lowell to America East

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane96 View Post
I have a great Derek Jeter, Nomar Garciaparra and moi story for you. We have to get a beer one day. Heck, I don't even know if NUHF knows this story...remind me to tell you about it as well.

Oh Daisy Buch's...how you have wet the whistle of many of a lad.
Definitely- I've got some Daisy Buch stories....one involving Lackey/Beckett, one involving Hazel Mae. That place is a $hit show. Haven't been in a long time.
__________________
"Let's win this game for all the small schools that never had a chance to get here"
- Hoosiers,
& UVM mens basketball NCAA's 2005
UVM Hoop Cat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 07:22 AM   #57 (permalink)
Star
 

Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 2,942
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Re: UMass Lowell to America East

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCatsGo View Post
When we all cry, and scream, and shout until we're red in the face when the league does absolutely nothing...we all need to at least politely golf clap when the league does *something.*

This...is something. I'm not 100% sure what it is, but it *is* something.
Dang it, I've been writing an op-Ed on this all morning and I have a "golf clap" reference in it...
farfromtheshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 07:36 AM   #58 (permalink)
Red Rubber Ball
 
Patman's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Arlington, VA
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Re: UMass Lowell to America East

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane96 View Post
Don't drink the "Best of Rankings" Kool Aid. If a kid comes to me from UM-L and I have a choice between that person and someone from another academic background...that kid from UM-L better be the most charming and intelligent human around!
I'll be quite happy to start an SUNY-Albany resume bonfire... As soon as we get one. It's not like we haven't heard that before from boston based folks... Always need to justify your existence on the school totem pole there... Then denigrate all others who you feel are beneath you.

As for NU... One NCAA trip based on the back of one goaltender is not the stuff legends are made of.

Edit: French Canadians?!? We have had maybe one hockey player from French Canada since I enrolled... We did have 3 from France proper... Two of them were in engineering. I wouldn't know about the bball team other than the couple of Israelis we had.
---

Looks like it may be a long day folks. I'll get to the academic points later but I will add that our athletic department has been piling up marketing awards before Meehan got here. Fact is, desire and ethic hasn't been the issue, it's political will and resources. The move to div 1 is more an evolution at this point. We aren't here just to show up and cash in a payday game against a BCS conference.

If it doesn't happen this week that's fine. This is a surprise to us... But we are getting there.
__________________
B.S. UMass-Lowell '04
Ph.D. UConn '09

Last edited by Patman; 02-13-2013 at 07:43 AM.
Patman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 07:44 AM   #59 (permalink)
Star
 
Dane96's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Boston
Posts: 3,614
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Re: UMass Lowell to America East

Quote:
Originally Posted by UVM Hoop Cat View Post
Definitely- I've got some Daisy Buch stories....one involving Lackey/Beckett, one involving Hazel Mae. That place is a $hit show. Haven't been in a long time.
OOOOOOOOH....you had me at Hazel Mae!!!
Dane96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 07:48 AM   #60 (permalink)
Star
 
Dane96's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Boston
Posts: 3,614
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Re: UMass Lowell to America East

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patman View Post
I'll be quite happy to start an SUNY-Albany resume bonfire... As soon as we get one. It's not like we haven't heard that before from boston based folks... Always need to justify your existence on the school totem pole there... Then denigrate all others who you feel are beneath you.

As for NU... One NCAA trip based on the back of one goaltender is not the stuff legends are made of.

Edit: French Canadians?!? We have had maybe one hockey player from French Canada since I enrolled... We did have 3 from France proper... Two of them were in engineering. I wouldn't know about the bball team other than the couple of Israelis we had.
---

Looks like it may be a long day folks. I'll get to the academic points later but I will add that our athletic department has been piling up marketing awards before Meehan got here. Fact is, desire and ethic hasn't been the issue, it's political will and resources. The move to div 1 is more an evolution at this point. We aren't here just to show up and cash in a payday game against a BCS conference.

If it doesn't happen this week that's fine. This is a surprise to us... But we are getting there.
Welcome to the board Patman.

But know this: This isn't a pooh-poohing of UM-L from a Boston person; we were conference mates with you and I first hand saw the nonsense that came out of UM-L back then.

Now, this is almost 2 decades ago...so I will take the wait and see approach.

But I will say this; Don't even try to compare ANY of the SUNY's to UM-L on an academic level. It's not even close...TODAY AT LEAST. For Petesake the 4-year graduation rate at Lowell is something less than 30% from the last I heard from Beacon Hill.
Dane96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:40 AM.



User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 2002 2013 BasketballBoards.net.

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1