Lowell - Basketball Forum : Professional and College Basketball Forums
BasketballForum.com is the premier basketball Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
User Tag List

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2013, 02:20 PM   #1 (permalink)
Veteran
 

Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 1,369
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Lowell

One thing I hope Lowell does is pick up a few transfers immediately in order to make their transition to D1 more palatable. Similar to when Stony Brook came into the AE...... I think they brought in a 1 year transfer named Leon Brisport (if I recall his name correctly) from Providence. It would be nice if they can compete as quickly as Bryant has in the NEC.
lsbal84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 03-06-2013, 03:48 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran
 

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Burlington, VT
Posts: 1,174
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Re: Lowell

Next season just seems so far off...in the future, but I hope Lowell will have a team that competes.
NotDeadYet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 03:53 PM   #3 (permalink)
Star
 

Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 2,532
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Re: Lowell

The more I read about Lowell the more excited I am to have them join our league. I still want another team to get 10 but I think Lowell will be a nice addition.
UNHFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 04:19 PM   #4 (permalink)
6th Man
 

Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 483
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Re: Lowell

Lowell will suck for a long time. It will take them two recruiting classes to get respectable.
Up and Under is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 04:25 PM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran
 

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Burlington, VT
Posts: 1,174
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Re: Lowell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Up and Under View Post
Lowell will suck for a long time. It will take them two recruiting classes to get respectable.
That doesn't sound very long to me. Several of the current AE teams sucked for many, many years and have improved. Now, if you said two generations...
NotDeadYet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 04:37 PM   #6 (permalink)
6th Man
 

Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 483
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Re: Lowell

does anyone know the history of non Div.I teams coming into the league? How long did it take them to be .500 in league?
Up and Under is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 05:06 PM   #7 (permalink)
Star
 
umainealum's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 3,608
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 473 Post(s)
Re: Lowell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Up and Under View Post
does anyone know the history of non Div.I teams coming into the league? How long did it take them to be .500 in league?
Albany, Bing & Stony Brook all did it very quickly...though Bing certainly sold their soul to the devil to get there, but the other 2 did it well and are still doing well. Florida Gulf Coast has been very good after only a few years and I'm sure there are others that didn't take too long to get going.

It's not easy, but with the right coach and the excitement that moving up creates, it can be done.

And if only takes a couple recruiting classes to be at .500, that's pretty damn good!
__________________
UMaine - the epitome of mediocrity

April 14, 2014 - today is a new beginning for the University of Maine Men's Basketball program!!
umainealum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 05:44 PM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran
 
Alumni96's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,941
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Re: Lowell

Quote:
Originally Posted by umainealum View Post
Albany, Bing & Stony Brook all did it very quickly...though Bing certainly sold their soul to the devil to get there, but the other 2 did it well and are still doing well. Florida Gulf Coast has been very good after only a few years and I'm sure there are others that didn't take too long to get going.

It's not easy, but with the right coach and the excitement that moving up creates, it can be done.

And if only takes a couple recruiting classes to be at .500, that's pretty damn good!
Bing was certainly respectable prior to the Broadus debacle. Al Walker had some pretty good teams back then.
Alumni96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 06:46 PM   #9 (permalink)
Star
 
umainealum's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 3,608
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 473 Post(s)
Re: Lowell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alumni96 View Post
Bing was certainly respectable prior to the Broadus debacle. Al Walker had some pretty good teams back then.
Very true...point taken. I should have mentioned that...
__________________
UMaine - the epitome of mediocrity

April 14, 2014 - today is a new beginning for the University of Maine Men's Basketball program!!
umainealum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 09:37 PM   #10 (permalink)
Seawolf Nation
 
TheSeawolf Roar's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: The Brook
Posts: 276
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Re: Lowell

someone start emailing their season ticket holders and get them to make accounts for this website
TheSeawolf Roar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 12:05 AM   #11 (permalink)
Veteran
 

Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: NYC Metro
Posts: 2,181
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Re: Lowell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alumni96 View Post
Bing was certainly respectable prior to the Broadus debacle. Al Walker had some pretty good teams back then.
Binghamton had by far the best start to the D-I era of the three SUNY's, and was competitive in the AE almost right away (going 10-8 in AE play in both their 2nd and 3rd seasons of D-I). Walker was a perfect fit for the job of taking a D-II program (that had never really been all that good at the D-II or even D-III level) and turning it into a respectable D-I program.

He struggled with recruiting and ultimately wasn't the right guy to get the team over the hump of simply being respectable, and it was the right time for a change when Walker was replaced by Broadus.

Good idea, bad execution. Really, really bad execution. Really, really, spectacularly bad execution.

I don't know what the coaching situation is at Lowell, but I'd certainly recommend Walker to any school that was making the transition to D-I.
BingGrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 04:52 AM   #12 (permalink)
-PREMIUM MEMBER-
Photobucket
 
UVM Hoop Cat's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Boston
Posts: 22,109
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1326 Post(s)
Re: Lowell

Apart from going 0-2 and/or 0-3 against UVM every year in the AE conference for their entire existence, I hope UMass-Lowell becomes very good very quickly.
__________________
"Let's win this game for all the small schools that never had a chance to get here"
- Hoosiers,
& UVM mens basketball NCAA's 2005
UVM Hoop Cat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 06:38 AM   #13 (permalink)
Benchwarmer
 

Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 142
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Re: Lowell

What kind of facilities do they have? I would assume that, to some extent, this will impact their ability to recruit, and therefore their ability to compete.

I am hoping they get an at large bid their first year, but then again, I have been hoping for an at large bid from the ECAC/NAC/AE for almost 30 years. As we all know, hope = disappointment deferred.
MileHiCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 09:15 AM   #14 (permalink)
The Invisible Iron Fist
Photobucket
 
Seth's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 1,253
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Re: Lowell

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileHiCat View Post
What kind of facilities do they have? I would assume that, to some extent, this will impact their ability to recruit, and therefore their ability to compete.

I am hoping they get an at large bid their first year, but then again, I have been hoping for an at large bid from the ECAC/NAC/AE for almost 30 years. As we all know, hope = disappointment deferred.
If they play basketball at Tsongas, they immediately have one of the best facilities in AE. That's the limit of my knowledge of their facilities, though, so I'd wonder if anyone knows where they plan to play?
__________________
Go BU!
Seth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 09:54 AM   #15 (permalink)
Star
 

Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 2,944
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Re: Lowell

Quote:
Originally Posted by BingGrad View Post
Binghamton had by far the best start to the D-I era of the three SUNY's, and was competitive in the AE almost right away (going 10-8 in AE play in both their 2nd and 3rd seasons of D-I). Walker was a perfect fit for the job of taking a D-II program (that had never really been all that good at the D-II or even D-III level) and turning it into a respectable D-I program.

He struggled with recruiting and ultimately wasn't the right guy to get the team over the hump of simply being respectable, and it was the right time for a change when Walker was replaced by Broadus.

Good idea, bad execution. Really, really bad execution. Really, really, spectacularly bad execution.

I don't know what the coaching situation is at Lowell, but I'd certainly recommend Walker to any school that was making the transition to D-I.
Actually Binghamton's initial Division I recruiting class was OUTSTANDING - but it wasn't Walker, it was Randy Dunton (Walker's assistant) who was a fantastic recruiter who landed them: Nick Billings obviously (super athletic 7 footer who at one point was viewed as a legit NBA prospect), Andy Hannan was a 6'6" highly skilled wing who made a big impact as a freshman before transferring to UNLV where he played on scholarship for the rest of his career, Sebastian Hermenier (a 6'6" Brenton/Voelkel/Rowley type), JuCo transfer Anthony Green (A terrific, All-Conference point guard), JuCo Billy Williams (a 6'4" athletic man without a position and dirty work player), JuCo Brandon Carter (athletic energy wing), transfers Brett Watson (PG) and Stan Occitti (6'9" big) who won a national championship at UConn... it was a really good recruiting class for anyone, and absolutely outstanding for a team's first D1 class...

Unfortunately, Dunton left and Walker could never duplicate his recruiting.
farfromtheshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:11 AM.



User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 2002 2013 BasketballBoards.net.

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1