2017 Coaching Carousel - Page 22 - Basketball Forum : Professional and College Basketball Forums
BasketballForum.com is the premier basketball Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
User Tag List

Like Tree289Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2017, 08:02 PM   #316 (permalink)
All-Star
 

Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 5,007
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 682 Post(s)
Re: 2017 Coaching Carousel

One thing that's funny is my buddy's housemate at UVM was a member of the yacht club. He came to UVM from Ct. He was loaded. I've never seen somebody talk about totaling a new truck with a smile of their face before him. His girlfriend was latched. He did do some sailing.
bosiydid likes this.
uvm4life20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 03-20-2017, 08:28 PM   #317 (permalink)
Rookie
 

Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 78
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Re: 2017 Coaching Carousel

QU mens job is not as good of a job as this - http://www.espn.com/womens-college-b...meId=400947268
shortergan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 05:37 AM   #318 (permalink)
Veteran
 

Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: NYC Metro
Posts: 2,291
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Re: 2017 Coaching Carousel

Certainly congratulations are in order for the QU women's team. A Sweet Sixteen appearance by a mid-major is rare -- and, I think, even more rare in WBB.

Of course, this has the potential to really raise expectations for what QU should expect from their men's program.
BingGrad is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Old 03-21-2017, 05:58 AM   #319 (permalink)
Benchwarmer
 

Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 162
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Re: 2017 Coaching Carousel

Quote:
Originally Posted by BingGrad View Post
Certainly congratulations are in order for the QU women's team. A Sweet Sixteen appearance by a mid-major is rare -- and, I think, even more rare in WBB.

Of course, this has the potential to really raise expectations for what QU should expect from their men's program.
Lots of goofy responses, nothing to disprove the contention that Q is a better job than UVM's.

Burlington isn't a small community? Oh, 42,000 population ... a virtual metropolis!

Let's see ... Green mountains, no billboards, height limits on buildings ... all major selling points to 18-year old college players, right?
Oh, and Lake Champlain ... all that sailing.
If Q students want to sail, they just have to take a 10-mile trek to their closest body of water. It's called the Atlantic Ocean!

Al Skinner as the next Q coach? Yeah, right. He's 65 years old and has a reputation for, let's say, not being overworked.

Yes, UVM has some things going for it ... but, compared to Q, just not location, league, academics, administrative commitment to basketball, facilities and $$$$$.

All of the contrary opinions about the Q vacancy, and the real possibility that Becker would strongly consider Q, is just proof that the majority of posters in forums like this know very little about college basketball.
Mainebballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 06:01 AM   #320 (permalink)
Benchwarmer
 

Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 162
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Re: 2017 Coaching Carousel

Quote:
Originally Posted by BingGrad View Post
Certainly congratulations are in order for the QU women's team. A Sweet Sixteen appearance by a mid-major is rare -- and, I think, even more rare in WBB.

Of course, this has the potential to really raise expectations for what QU should expect from their men's program.
Marist women's team, as a 13th seed, advanced to the Sweet 16 round in 2007. Marist is also a member of the Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference.

Yes, congrats are in order for the Q women's team.
Mainebballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 06:05 AM   #321 (permalink)
All-Star
 
charliemike's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 6,704
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Re: 2017 Coaching Carousel

I cannot believe we've spent five pages talking about Quinnipiac.

Good luck to them. Let's get back to talking about how there are still three coaches in this league not producing results.
bosiydid likes this.
charliemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 06:20 AM   #322 (permalink)
All-Star
 
bosiydid's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 9,716
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1177 Post(s)
Re: 2017 Coaching Carousel

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliemike View Post
I cannot believe we've spent five pages talking about Quinnipiac.

Good luck to them. Let's get back to talking about how there are still three coaches in this league not producing results.
I swear I was just going to post the same thing...Q hasn't even as much as called Brown nor Becker and this dope from Maine continues to harp on it page after page after page.

What kind of an ill individual is this hung up over a MAAC job...lol. The same MAAC that has been in more playing games in the tourney, this year completely embarrassed themselves against Oregon while the AE rep played a great game.

It's embarrassing!
__________________
Albany basketball season ticket holder since..........June'06
bosiydid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 07:17 AM   #323 (permalink)
-PREMIUM MEMBER-
Photobucket
 
UVM Hoop Cat's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Boston
Posts: 29,074
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3823 Post(s)
Re: 2017 Coaching Carousel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mainebballer View Post
Lots of goofy responses, nothing to disprove the contention that Q is a better job than UVM's.

Burlington isn't a small community? Oh, 42,000 population ... a virtual metropolis!

Let's see ... Green mountains, no billboards, height limits on buildings ... all major selling points to 18-year old college players, right?
Oh, and Lake Champlain ... all that sailing.
If Q students want to sail, they just have to take a 10-mile trek to their closest body of water. It's called the Atlantic Ocean!

Al Skinner as the next Q coach? Yeah, right. He's 65 years old and has a reputation for, let's say, not being overworked.

Yes, UVM has some things going for it ... but, compared to Q, just not location, league, academics, administrative commitment to basketball, facilities and $$$$$.

All of the contrary opinions about the Q vacancy, and the real possibility that Becker would strongly consider Q, is just proof that the majority of posters in forums like this know very little about college basketball.
Thank you for this Greg, now sell me this Pen.....Go:
__________________
"Let's win this game for all the small schools that never had a chance to get here"
- Hoosiers,
& UVM mens basketball NCAA's 2005
UVM Hoop Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 07:28 AM   #324 (permalink)
Star
 
Dane96's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Boston
Posts: 4,215
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Re: 2017 Coaching Carousel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mainebballer View Post
Lots of goofy responses, nothing to disprove the contention that Q is a better job than UVM's.

Burlington isn't a small community? Oh, 42,000 population ... a virtual metropolis!

Let's see ... Green mountains, no billboards, height limits on buildings ... all major selling points to 18-year old college players, right?
Oh, and Lake Champlain ... all that sailing.
If Q students want to sail, they just have to take a 10-mile trek to their closest body of water. It's called the Atlantic Ocean!

Al Skinner as the next Q coach? Yeah, right. He's 65 years old and has a reputation for, let's say, not being overworked.

Yes, UVM has some things going for it ... but, compared to Q, just not location, league, academics, administrative commitment to basketball, facilities and $$$$$.

All of the contrary opinions about the Q vacancy, and the real possibility that Becker would strongly consider Q, is just proof that the majority of posters in forums like this know very little about college basketball.
When you talk about Q being in a great location, academics, etc..I really just laugh. They were my client for many, many years. In fact, I worked on projects that led to them actually diverting funding to the new arena, betterment of the student life services, etc. I basically lived in Hamden three days a week for two years.

Firstly, Hamden is a tiny quiet hamlet. There is ZERO going on in Hamden. Sure, some of the upper class choose to live in New Haven...but that is a very small sample size.

Secondly, for an "outdoor activity" perspective, aside from the golf course and the state park, and tiny ski mountains (Powder Ridge and Mt. Southington) there is not much going on. Student life is truly about the campus itself, which does indeed make it a fun place to go to school. Yeah, Long Wharf and other state parks on the water exist...but you have one small beach, and I would not swim in that water.

Thirdly, that area is all about one school, YALE. Sure, a run in the NCAA tournament would bring a brief uptick to the Q, however it is still a private school and not a "rah rah" town-gown winner. That belongs to Yale, even if some locals think Yale is snobbish (which, for most accounts, is true).

Fourthly, the academics are not great...so let's not kid ourselves. And, I don't want to hear about US News or any other magazines ratings. I'm talking about getting hired after school. The name recognition is good for certain programs at the Q however, it is known for a high acceptance rate. I will say, it was a brilliant move purchasing the bankrupt University of Bridgeport School of Law.

Bottom line is: it's not a destination school that has as powerful of a draw to basketball players as you are stating. And for all that money, they don't fill the arena which, while nice, is still only 3500 seats. The MAAC is not a superb league compared to the AE, arguably we are about equal.

In the end, any coach going to QU is using it for money (salary) and a potential stepping stone. However, if you do well in the AE, you are likely stepping to a similar "next stone". The real factor here is the cash.

But please, don't sell the Q and it's surroundings as some fantastic place. Outside of the area by Yale, New Haven is pretty much a dump, and the surrounding areas are a sleepy pedestrian experience.
Dane96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 07:50 AM   #325 (permalink)
Benchwarmer
 

Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 162
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Re: 2017 Coaching Carousel

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosiydid View Post
I swear I was just going to post the same thing...Q hasn't even as much as called Brown nor Becker and this dope from Maine continues to harp on it page after page after page.

What kind of an ill individual is this hung up over a MAAC job...lol. The same MAAC that has been in more playing games in the tourney, this year completely embarrassed themselves against Oregon while the AE rep played a great game.

It's embarrassing!
And, you KNOW Q hasn't called Brown nor Becker ... How?
The truth is ... you don't know.
Mainebballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 07:52 AM   #326 (permalink)
Player
 

Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 652
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Re: 2017 Coaching Carousel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mainebballer View Post
And, you KNOW Q hasn't called Brown nor Becker ... How?
The truth is ... you don't know.
They sure as hell haven't called you, Walshy.
catpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 08:04 AM   #327 (permalink)
Rookie
 

Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 62
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Re: 2017 Coaching Carousel

Not sure what the debate is, Vermont is and has been a stepping stone job...QU is reportedly paying good money, but you take that job and fail you may not take over another program after it. Doesn't make sense for either guy to risk it, there's better jobs out there they could get.
Zak1785 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 08:08 AM   #328 (permalink)
Benchwarmer
 

Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 162
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Re: 2017 Coaching Carousel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane96 View Post
When you talk about Q being in a great location, academics, etc..I really just laugh. They were my client for many, many years. In fact, I worked on projects that led to them actually diverting funding to the new arena, betterment of the student life services, etc. I basically lived in Hamden three days a week for two years.

Firstly, Hamden is a tiny quiet hamlet. There is ZERO going on in Hamden. Sure, some of the upper class choose to live in New Haven...but that is a very small sample size.

Secondly, for an "outdoor activity" perspective, aside from the golf course and the state park, and tiny ski mountains (Powder Ridge and Mt. Southington) there is not much going on. Student life is truly about the campus itself, which does indeed make it a fun place to go to school. Yeah, Long Wharf and other state parks on the water exist...but you have one small beach, and I would not swim in that water.

Thirdly, that area is all about one school, YALE. Sure, a run in the NCAA tournament would bring a brief uptick to the Q, however it is still a private school and not a "rah rah" town-gown winner. That belongs to Yale, even if some locals think Yale is snobbish (which, for most accounts, is true).

Fourthly, the academics are not great...so let's not kid ourselves. And, I don't want to hear about US News or any other magazines ratings. I'm talking about getting hired after school. The name recognition is good for certain programs at the Q however, it is known for a high acceptance rate. I will say, it was a brilliant move purchasing the bankrupt University of Bridgeport School of Law.

Bottom line is: it's not a destination school that has as powerful of a draw to basketball players as you are stating. And for all that money, they don't fill the arena which, while nice, is still only 3500 seats. The MAAC is not a superb league compared to the AE, arguably we are about equal.

In the end, any coach going to QU is using it for money (salary) and a potential stepping stone. However, if you do well in the AE, you are likely stepping to a similar "next stone". The real factor here is the cash.

But please, don't sell the Q and it's surroundings as some fantastic place. Outside of the area by Yale, New Haven is pretty much a dump, and the surrounding areas are a sleepy pedestrian experience.
Never said it's a "destination school" for basketball players ... only that it has more going for it, in the eyes of impressionable 18-year olds than UVM.

Prove where that contention is wrong.

Ranked considerably higher than UVM for academics. You can look it up.

And, how would you know about students getting hired after school? I've had three close relatives get Q degrees ... all three got hired immediately after graduation. Their entire circles of friends, dozens of Q grads, all have good jobs. Note exactly a scientific survey, for sure. And, finding a job right out of college in today's market keeps getting tougher. Would love for you to post job rates for students with Q degrees vs. UVM degrees. That's the only proof.

Another guess here ... the acceptance rate is lower for Q than for UVM. I'll stand corrected, but your statement about that is worthless without substantiation.

Maybe not a lot for you to do around Q, but my relatives had no complaints about social life/activities in that area. And, they had no problem finding good ocean-side areas/beaches within a 30-minute drive.

The TD Bank Arena? It's a beautiful mini-arena, all theater seats. Not a typical high school gym like Patrick. If you're an 18-year old, what's going to impress you more ... a beautiful arena-like facility, or an antiquated high school gym? Beautiful trainers' room, extensive weight-room area, all the other athletic-related spaces in the complex, or old-fashioned/ too-small ones. It's not only the seating itself, but it's about all the modern accoutrements.

The MAAC is the same level as AE? The MAAC is rated considerably higher, by the NCAA's Ratings Percentage Index, EVERY YEAR. You can go back at some point where I posted numbers. The MAAC is annually rated between 15 and 21. AE usually comes in around the mid-20's. I'll re-post if you want.

Diverting funds for the athletic facilities? Another one you'll have to prove.

And, the money. Yes, a very major factor.
You're right ... it's a step towards the next level.
Becker isn't going to go from UVM to the ACC/Big East, etc.
If he aspires to that, he needs to take an intermediary step ... like the Q job.
Even if he doesn't aspire to that, a $600K salary at a place in a better league, with a greater commitment to athletics, in a better location, at a better school academically, etc., etc ... is a lot more attractive than what he has now.
Mainebballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 08:11 AM   #329 (permalink)
Star
 

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: VT
Posts: 3,377
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 454 Post(s)
Re: 2017 Coaching Carousel

Becker's name has been mentioned for the eventual Syracuse job when Boeheim retires, now that the coach-in-waiting has left for Washington.
Quote:
John Becker, head coach, Vermont: Beckerís another Northeast guy (Connecticut), who rose quickly and could still have higher to climb once he lands a more high-profile gig. Since he took over the Catamounts in 2011, the teamís won at least 20 games each year. Vermont plays a fun style, and one that could be interesting to see carried over to a program with more access to talent.
UVM7680 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 08:11 AM   #330 (permalink)
Player
 

Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 652
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Re: 2017 Coaching Carousel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zak1785 View Post
Not sure what the debate is, Vermont is and has been a stepping stone job...QU is reportedly paying good money, but you take that job and fail you may not take over another program after it. Doesn't make sense for either guy to risk it, there's better jobs out there they could get.
It was a stepping stone job for exactly one person. The guy before that person was on the job 19 years. Three others before him were fired/left in 5 year periods, never to coach again. The coach before that was on the job 23 years.

I get what you're saying, but it "has" not been a stepping stone job prior to Lonergan. That's like saying Albany is and has been a stepping stone job when its current coach has been there 15 years. Where he stepping to?
catpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:59 PM.



User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright © 2002 ó 2013 BasketballBoards.net.
 

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1