2017 Coaching Carousel - Page 49 - Basketball Forum : Professional and College Basketball Forums
BasketballForum.com is the premier basketball Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
User Tag List

Like Tree311Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-20-2017, 08:35 PM   #721 (permalink)
Star
 
GoCatsGo's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Catamount Country
Posts: 2,563
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Re: 2017 Coaching Carousel

UVM championship teams, ranked...

1. 2005
2. 2017
3. 2004
4. 2012
5. 2010
6. 2003
UVM Hoop Cat likes this.
GoCatsGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 04-21-2017, 05:33 AM   #722 (permalink)
All-Star
 
bosiydid's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 9,751
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1192 Post(s)
Re: 2017 Coaching Carousel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catamount View Post
UVM's players/recruits ranked by star rankings:

1- Ra Kpedi (incoming big man) 3 stars (scout.com)
2- Skyler Nash (incoming 2/3) 3 stars (scout and ESPN)
3- Josh Speidl (no explanation necessary) 3 Stars, 47th ranked player at PF in his HS class
4- Anthony Lamb (Star forward, future all-NBA point guard), 3 stars (Rivals.com)
5-Ernie Duncan (guard w/unlimited range), 3 stars (Rivals.com)
6- Sam Dingba, 2.5 stars


Honorary mentions-

- Stef Smith (incoming PG), one of the top Canadian HS players, graduating a full year early to come to UVM, would probably end up at a high-major if he waited another year.
- Bailey Patella (incoming 3), averaged double digit PPG at a school with two 4 star recruits, and a 5 star/top-10 nationally ranked player.
TY, I legit wanted to know as I don't follow the stars very closely. Good info!
__________________
Albany basketball season ticket holder since..........June'06
bosiydid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 12:37 PM   #723 (permalink)
Head Rally Monkey
Photobucket
 
ball_of_rubber's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Las Vegas
Age: 34
Posts: 4,380
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 412 Post(s)
Coppin St. has just hired former Terp and Wizard Juan Dixon.
ball_of_rubber is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Old 04-22-2017, 12:49 PM   #724 (permalink)
All-Star
 
charliemike's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 6,744
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 921 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ball_of_rubber View Post
Coppin St. has just hired former Terp and Wizard Juan Dixon.
Interesting hire. Especially that he is a Baltimore guy too.
charliemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 01:13 PM   #725 (permalink)
Rookie
 

Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Aspen, CO
Posts: 56
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Re: 2017 Coaching Carousel

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosiydid View Post
Who are the 3 start recruits?
User Catamount on top of it.

Last edited by Chance11; 04-26-2017 at 01:31 PM. Reason: Already answered.
Chance11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 01:24 PM   #726 (permalink)
Rookie
 

Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Aspen, CO
Posts: 56
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Re: 2017 Coaching Carousel

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliemike View Post
Taylor and TJ came at the end of a run that had actual NBA players in the league. Not 10-day contract guys but longer term players.

There's little doubt in my mind that Taylor and TJ's teams would beat this team more often than not.

I say that because no other team in the league was as good as the ones Vermont beat to make the NCAA tournament back then.
Nah, they get killed. Just because a team has an NBA player doesn't mean they their team would win. Barea played for as long as anyone and experienced success at the highest level..but got smoked in the tournament.

It's TEAM. Wills on TJ and plenty of forwards to put on Coppenrath. I can't believe people are actually arguing this when Coppenrath himself doesn't believe they'd win.

I've seen every game by that team and this team. This team has way more talent and depth, it's not even close. That's why they've done things that no previous team, UVM or otherwise, has done such as sweeping the league awards and undefeated/dominated in conference. They're ranked #4 in the early season mid major. What was the last conference team that had that kind of respect coming into the season.

Last edited by Chance11; 04-26-2017 at 01:31 PM.
Chance11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 01:27 PM   #727 (permalink)
Rookie
 

Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 66
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Re: 2017 Coaching Carousel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance11 View Post
Nah, they get killed. Just because a team has an NBA player doesn't mean they their team would win. Barea played for as long as anyone and experienced success at the highest level..but got smoked in the tournament.

It's TEAM. Wills on TJ and plenty of forwards to put on Coppenrath. I can't believe people are actually arguing this when Coppenrath himself doesn't believe they'd win.

I've seen every game by that team and this team. This team has way more talent and depth, it's not even close. That's why they done things that no previous team, UVM or otherwise, has done such as sweeping the league awards and undefeated/dominated in conference. They're ranked #4 in the early season mid major. What was the last conference team that had that kind of respect coming into the season.
LOL, so what would the 2016-17 Albany team do against that Vermont team? Lose by less than a possession? Beat them?
Zak1785 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 01:27 PM   #728 (permalink)
Rookie
 

Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Aspen, CO
Posts: 56
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Re: 2017 Coaching Carousel

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosiydid View Post
HAHA...wow this guy is a riot. I guess he's never heard of Jamar Willson, Siggers, Black, LIllis etc.
Good job, that's 5! Heard of 'em all. Did you guys have some guys that I missed when you were D3 and D2 from 1909 to 1999? Or from when you averaged 8 and a half wins from '99 to 2005?? How many rookies of the year have you had or 40 point scorers in the playoffs? My comment takes into account where I believe their careers will finish..unless you think they will both regress rather than get better.

Last edited by Chance11; 04-26-2017 at 02:21 PM.
Chance11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 01:28 PM   #729 (permalink)
Rookie
 

Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Aspen, CO
Posts: 56
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Re: 2017 Coaching Carousel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zak1785 View Post
LOL, so what would the 2016-17 Albany team do against that Vermont team? Lose by less than a possession? Beat them?
Lose all 3 like they did.
Chance11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 01:38 PM   #730 (permalink)
Rookie
 

Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 66
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Re: 2017 Coaching Carousel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance11 View Post
Lose all 3 like they did.
haha indeed, the team that was known as the best Vermont ever had to offer, maybe the best the America East had to offer is now on par with a 2016-17 rebuilding Albany team.

I really can't argue with you, if this is how you feel than this is how you feel. There's no data that backs up your argument.
Zak1785 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 01:47 PM   #731 (permalink)
Veteran
 
VT Cats Fan's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Vermont
Posts: 2,090
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 447 Post(s)
Re: 2017 Coaching Carousel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zak1785 View Post
haha indeed, the team that was known as the best Vermont ever had to offer, maybe the best the America East had to offer is now on par with a 2016-17 rebuilding Albany team.

I really can't argue with you, if this is how you feel than this is how you feel. There's no data that backs up your argument.
Will Brown is so good against Vermont in the playoffs, he even wins the hypothetical match ups.
Dane96 and AE Hoops Fan like this.
VT Cats Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 01:51 PM   #732 (permalink)
Rookie
 

Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Aspen, CO
Posts: 56
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Re: 2017 Coaching Carousel

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfromvt View Post
The 2017 Cats are the 2017 Celtics, the 2005 Cats are the 2017 Cavs. Same records, but who is the better team? 2005 Cats beat the 2017 Cats, Coppenrath and Sorrentine dominate. Hoops is a game of stars, depth is overrated. And it's not like 2005 had a bunch of stiffs beyond those two.
You're right, hoops is a game of stars..and when you have depth it makes a team go undefeated in conference, extend the previous winning streak by 7, and the all-time win streak by 4.

The thing you overlook, is Lamb and TBH, are already stars. When all is said and done, based on their accomplishments, they will be on the short list of best players in program history.

It sounds like blasphemy but I'd take TBH over Sorrentine. He runs a team better. If someone wants to take Sorrentine, that's fine..but at the very least they both have one Player of the Year Award and TBH's stats will be there across the board.

Now for the real shock! I'd take Lamb over Coppenrath any day of week. What did Coppenrath do as a freshman? Lamb is an all-region, only First Year tournament MVP, dropped 20pts, 9 rbs, 3 assists, and 3 steals in the tournament (triple teamed by Purdue by the end btw), and the best player in the conference as a TRUE freshman..AND, with his work ethic and drive, he will get even better. No disrespect to Coppenrath and what he's accomplished as he's responsible for so much and highly decorated, but this is a continued projection based on this past season and where they are going into next season(s).

Then you factor in the depth and the fact that the recruits are much better. (And coaching too shhh).
Chance11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 01:55 PM   #733 (permalink)
Rookie
 

Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Aspen, CO
Posts: 56
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Re: 2017 Coaching Carousel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zak1785 View Post
haha indeed, the team that was known as the best Vermont ever had to offer, maybe the best the America East had to offer is now on par with a 2016-17 rebuilding Albany team.

I really can't argue with you, if this is how you feel than this is how you feel. There's no data that backs up your argument.
They played a close game in one game..and lost. So what's your point? Every team in every season in the country played a close game against an inferior opponent.

There is data to back up my argument. I've already presented it. It's witnessed in the record wins and win streaks, league awards, national awards, and how this team is perceived nationally heading into next season.
Chance11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 02:16 PM   #734 (permalink)
Rookie
 

Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 66
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Re: 2017 Coaching Carousel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance11 View Post
They played a close game in one game..and lost. So what's your point? Every team in every season in the country played a close game against an inferior opponent.

There is data to back up my argument. I've already presented it. It's witnessed in the record wins and win streaks, league awards, national awards, and how this team is perceived nationally heading into next season.
That's fine by me, I can't argue with you. Last years Vermont team was the best ever and the 2017-18 team will be even better.

The 2014-15 Albany team is the second best America East team ever by your thought process.

If you feel the 04/05 Vermont team, that most people, including RPI/BPI and KenPom stats love (they were 20 spots higher than this past years team) is overrated I won't argue with you.

I actually like TBH and I've already said enough on this past POY so I won't get into that again.
AE Hoops Fan likes this.
Zak1785 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 02:33 PM   #735 (permalink)
Rookie
 

Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Aspen, CO
Posts: 56
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Re: 2017 Coaching Carousel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zak1785 View Post
That's fine by me, I can't argue with you. Last years Vermont team was the best ever and the 2017-18 team will be even better.

The 2014-15 Albany team is the second best America East team ever by your thought process.

If you feel the 04/05 Vermont team, that most people, including RPI/BPI and KenPom stats love (they were 20 spots higher than this past years team) is overrated I won't argue with you.

I actually like TBH and I've already said enough on this past POY so I won't get into that again.
No, that's your thought process based on a transitive property that has already been proven false.

I think somebody here already went over how the RPI was different then. Uvm got a huge bump from going on the road and losing to good teams in 04/05. This team, as someone pointed out, 'only' beat the 120th ranked team. For me, that's less of a consideration, because I've watched the teams play. The buzz before last year's NFL playoffs was that the Patriots were overrated because of the teams that they played..which was just a joke take in that, if one has watched and knows football at all, the Patriots were still likely the best team.
Chance11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:37 AM.



User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 2002 2013 BasketballBoards.net.
 

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1