2012-2013 Xavier Musketeers - Page 41 - Basketball Forum : Professional and College Basketball Forums
BasketballForum.com is the premier basketball Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
User Tag List

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-25-2012, 06:48 PM   #601 (permalink)
Star
 
PM Thor's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Victory Parkway
Posts: 2,556
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Re: 2012-2013 Xavier Musketeers

Well, it's good that you make that assumption about Xavier grads. Sadly I don't make the assumption about dayton grads. Are you even accredited? Show me proof.
__________________
Xavier, undefeated in Atlantic Ten play in over a year!
PM Thor is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 11-25-2012, 06:48 PM   #602 (permalink)
6th Man
 

Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 256
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Re: 2012-2013 Xavier Musketeers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyer75 View Post
I would have picked a loss to St Marys but that means you would have beaten Pacific which I would picked leaving you exactly where you before. Not hard to do the math here A10fan.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using VerticalSports.Com App
So you picked us to beat Butler. Makes sense.
GoMuskies is offline  
Old 11-25-2012, 07:08 PM   #603 (permalink)
Star
 
Flyer75's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 4,866
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoMuskies View Post
So you picked us to beat Butler. Makes sense.
Nope.....toss up. Thought you'd beat pacific though.

Two in a row. Maybe reading isn't high on the list for X grads.
Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using VerticalSports.Com App
Flyer75 is online now  
Old 11-25-2012, 07:22 PM   #604 (permalink)
Banned Member
 

Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 1,112
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Re: 2012-2013 Xavier Musketeers

Hell, if someone would have told me Xavier would be 5-1 a month ago, I wouldn't have believed it. And by going off the conversations around here a month ago prediciting Xavier's doom and gloom and a "multi-year rough period", one would conclude Xavier would be about 1-5.

But Flyer says he always thought it was absolutely possible for Xavier to be 5-1.
xavierhoops is offline  
Old 11-25-2012, 07:23 PM   #605 (permalink)
Star
 
Flyer75's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 4,866
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by xavierhoops View Post
Hell, if someone would have told me Xavier would be 5-1 a month ago, I wouldn't have believed it. And by going off the conversations around here a month ago prediciting Xavier's doom and gloom and a "multi-year rough period", one would conclude Xavier would be about 1-5.

But Flyer says he always thought it was absolutely possible for Xavier to be 5-1.
That's not what I said xavierhoops. Reading comprehension.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using VerticalSports.Com App
Flyer75 is online now  
Old 11-25-2012, 07:32 PM   #606 (permalink)
Banned Member
 

Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 1,112
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Re: 2012-2013 Xavier Musketeers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyer75 View Post
Uh.....I said record...5-1 doesn't surprise me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyer75 View Post
Had you told me this is who you would play two weeks ago I would have said you have a very good chance of being 5-1.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyer75 View Post
I clearly said had I known this 2 weeks ago I would have said 5-1 was very doable.
........
xavierhoops is offline  
Old 11-25-2012, 07:34 PM   #607 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
Photobucket
 
xu95's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Cincinnati
Age: 41
Posts: 3,596
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Is Chris Mack still on the hot seat?


Sent from my iPhone using Verticalsports.com Free App
xu95 is offline  
Old 11-25-2012, 07:37 PM   #608 (permalink)
Star
 
Flyer75's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 4,866
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by xavierhoops View Post
........
Ya...two weeks ago if you had come to me and said "hey here's who we play.... pick our record...." and that list includes

vs FDU
vs Butler
vs Robert Morris
Pacific (neutral)
Drexel (neutral)
Drake (neutral)

I would have said 5-1.

I haven't ALWAYS said you would be 5-1 since I didn't make any preseason predictions. You tell me who I should have picked you to lose to on that list. Butler? The likely choice. Again I would have picked you to beat Pacific and then lose to St Mary....so not sure how that really changes anything. I have no clue what I would picked for your third game if that scenario played out....it didn't. I'm only basing it on who've you actually played. Maybe losing that 1st game was OK for wins sake. Maybe it was for UD too.

I think the confusion is in the fact that had X won their first game they would have played St. Mary and I have you losing that and to Butler putting you at 4-2. But that's irrelevant. I'm saying if you brought me that list preseason I would say 5-1.
Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using VerticalSports.Com App

Last edited by Flyer75; 11-25-2012 at 07:42 PM.
Flyer75 is online now  
Old 11-25-2012, 07:43 PM   #609 (permalink)
Veteran
 
xudash's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 2,355
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Re: 2012-2013 Xavier Musketeers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyer75 View Post
Sorry for discussing basketball here Thor. Welcome back btw.

And you might not, but you have your gang here too that interject everything UD into Xavier conversations. Look at Paul's post just above yours.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using VerticalSports.Com App
I think most people would agree that you just stepped into it with this one.

This is, in fact, a Xavier thread. It is a Xavier thread with a disproportionate amount of posts by Dayton fans. A Xavier thread, sprinkled liberally with one critique after another from Dayton fans is going to attract Xavier fans in rebuttal mode. Offering up that it looks odd that Xavier fans are drawing Dayton into the dialogue in a Xavier thread when UD fans are spending too much time in this thread to begin with doesn't look good for you.

But what really doesn't look good for you is offering up criticisms of Xavier, because you are a Dayton fan. You should be worried about Dayton's program, spending more time in Dayton's threads while you're at it. Dayton's program........needs more success to truly be taken seriously.

Xavier's program is doing fine and will do well from here. We already know what real success looks like and, notwithstanding what transpires this season, are well positioned to sustain it from here.
xudash is offline  
Old 11-25-2012, 07:48 PM   #610 (permalink)
Star
 
Flyer75's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 4,866
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by xudash View Post
I think most people would agree that you just stepped into it with this one.

This is, in fact, a Xavier thread. It is a Xavier thread with a disproportionate amount of posts by Dayton fans. A Xavier thread, sprinkled liberally with one critique after another from Dayton fans is going to attract Xavier fans in rebuttal mode. Offering up that it looks odd that Xavier fans are drawing Dayton into the dialogue in a Xavier thread when UD fans are spending too much time in this thread to begin with doesn't look good for you.

But what really doesn't look good for you is offering up criticisms of Xavier, because you are a Dayton fan. You should be worried about Dayton's program, spending more time in Dayton's threads while you're at it. Dayton's program........needs more success to truly be taken seriously.

Xavier's program is doing fine and will do well from here. We already know what real success looks like and, notwithstanding what transpires this season, are well positioned to sustain it from here.
I guess you didn't read all the posts from XAVIER fans about UD fans in this thread just prior to my post tonight. Obsession is a two way street.

5 of them...I would agree they are in response to UD fans but this was hoping on for 59+ pages before I "stepped into it".
Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using VerticalSports.Com App
Flyer75 is online now  
Old 11-25-2012, 07:56 PM   #611 (permalink)
Banned Member
 

Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 1,112
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Re: 2012-2013 Xavier Musketeers

Not sure where this "if I would have known who you were playing 2 weeks ago blah blah blah" is coming from. Xavier's schedule has been up for months.

Instead of making the obvious statement, Xavier has so far, surpassed almost everyone's expectations... Semaj is truly the real deal... Dee, Travis and JMart seem to have really stepped up into their leadership roles etc etc.... We've got UD guys questioning Semaj's defense, questioning Semaj's outside shooting, saying clearly Xavier should be 5-1 if I would know who they were playing blah blah blah.

Flyer, I think you were the one who actually predicted Xavier is in for a "multi-season rough period."

As numerous people have mentioned.... I continue to remain perplexed by UD fans obsession with Xavier. They are prediciting X to finish 7-9th in the A-10. Why we have minute-by-minute game updates, detailed (negative) anaylsis of X games, post after post after post.....

I can only guess it's jealousy. I know if I were a UD fan, I'd be crazy jealous of Xavier's program and the national success it has.
xavierhoops is offline  
Old 11-25-2012, 08:19 PM   #612 (permalink)
Veteran
 
xudash's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 2,355
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Re: 2012-2013 Xavier Musketeers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyer75 View Post
I guess you didn't read all the posts from XAVIER fans about UD fans in this thread just prior to my post tonight. Obsession is a two way street.

5 of them...I would agree they are in response to UD fans but this was hoping on for 59+ pages before I "stepped into it".
Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using VerticalSports.Com App
Seriously, while it may not sound like much, I certainly view you as one of the more balanced UD posters.

But please understand that this isn't about "obsession" for Xavier fans. You know that there is no reason for a Xavier fan to be obsessed with UD's program. That is a statement of fact. What you want to believe to be an obsession is nothing more than prideful Xavier fans defending their program, however they see best fit to do that individually. Otherwise, it's about those fans taking free and easy shots at Dayton, resulting from some of the material the UD posters open themselves up with around here.

This thread wouldn't be as long as it is to begin with if some UD fans would simply stick to their business. IF it's about stirring things up with Xavier fans, then some of these UD fans not only fail at that, but make Dayton look that much worse in the process, because of Dayton's failures and lack of success.

I never bought into the school of thought of "just ignore them" because that doesn't make them go away. Besides, they make themselves such easy targets - and they know who they are - that they deserve the abuse. Freedom of speech works both ways. Cause and effect, with the "cause" being the problem in all this, not the "effect."

Stick to UD threads and talk about UD stuff and the Xavier/UD crap will truly die down. Otherwise, it's mostly always about some UD trolls failing at taking shots at X, and being made to look really stupid in the process.
xudash is offline  
Old 11-25-2012, 09:25 PM   #613 (permalink)
Star
 
paulxu's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 2,787
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 488 Post(s)
Re: 2012-2013 Xavier Musketeers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyer75 View Post
Sorry for discussing basketball here Thor. Welcome back btw.

And you might not, but you have your gang here too that interject everything UD into Xavier conversations. Look at Paul's post just above yours.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using VerticalSports.Com App
I don't spend my days, or waste my energy trying to take down Dayton on this board. But in the Xavier thread, if others try to cut us down, and it doesn't make sense...I'm likely to point that out. I don't care who it is from; Dayton, Richmond, LaSalle or whoever posters.

I have pointed out in your thread the fact your team is lead by two transfers; they're actually your only 2 double digit average scorers. When we were lead by a transfer, it was luck and good fortune...rather than the reality of college basketball where good coaches are constantly seeking to improve their teams. I suspect you subscribe to the latter outlook rather than the former at this point.

But mostly I stick to basketball. I try to ignore 98% of vitrol, but every now and then I'll go for a reality check on the nuttier stuff. It's a message board, afterall.
__________________
...he went up late, and I was already up there.
paulxu is offline  
Old 11-25-2012, 09:33 PM   #614 (permalink)
6th Man
 

Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 256
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Re: 2012-2013 Xavier Musketeers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyer75 View Post
Nope.....toss up. Thought you'd beat pacific though.

Two in a row. Maybe reading isn't high on the list for X grads.
Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using VerticalSports.Com App
Logic is obviously pretty low on your list. As is cheering for a good basketball team.
GoMuskies is offline  
Old 11-26-2012, 05:03 AM   #615 (permalink)
Banned Member
 

Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Westmont Illinois Cemetery
Age: 99
Posts: 5,541
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Re: 2012-2013 Xavier Musketeers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyer75 View Post

Ya...two weeks ago if you had come to me and said "hey here's who we play.... pick our record...." and that list includes

vs FDU
vs Butler
vs Robert Morris
Pacific (neutral)
Drexel (neutral)
Drake (neutral)

I would have said 5-1.

I haven't ALWAYS said you would be 5-1 since I didn't make any preseason predictions.

You tell me who I should have picked you to lose to on that list. Butler? The likely choice.

Again I would have picked you to beat Pacific and then lose to St Mary ...
5-1 was never a realistic possibility.

Underdog Xavier’s win over Butler was a fluke, and no one in the country predicted Xavier to win the Anaheim Classic, so at very best, Xavier might be predicted to be 4-2 after their first 6 games.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BTW Xavier fans,

The topic of this thread is 2012-2013 Xavier Musketeers – not Dayton fans.

Try to stay on topic.

Muddy Waters is offline  
Closed Thread


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:43 AM.



User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright © 2002 — 2013 BasketballBoards.net.

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1