Dez Is Gone - Page 2 - Basketball Forum : Professional and College Basketball Forums
BasketballForum.com is the premier basketball Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
User Tag List

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-07-2012, 02:52 PM   #16 (permalink)
Player
 
spider23's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 820
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Re: Dez Is Gone

I agree that the transfer waiver is too lax. I agree with College Hoops, you transfer you sit a year. Deal with it. Now, the rule is 75% of transfers come up with some extenuating circumstance and the NCAA gives in. It's only shocking when they actually deny someone.
spider23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 11-07-2012, 04:56 PM   #17 (permalink)
Star
 
paulxu's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 2,687
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 448 Post(s)
Re: Dez Is Gone

The problem is, Dez isn't a transfer in the normal sense. That implies that a kid decides to leave one school and go play at another. In order to keep people from jumping around, sit a year. Some conferences even have 2 year rules.

Again if you violate an "NCAA" rule, they may hammer you.
But that doesn't really apply here. The school expelled him. Whatever he did wasn't a violation of NCAA rules. Maybe they couldn't even legally keep him from playing if was pushed? Who knows.

But critical to Dez playing for Maryland this year was that in the waiver review, Xavier did not attempt to block it at all when asked about it by the NCAA. (They may have even said let him play, he's paid his price for breaking our rule) Whether they did that or not, they didn't try to stop it.

Breaking student conduct rules has its own set of consequences (like Dez, the kid at BYU, or Kavanaugh). Not sure they are the same as the bazillion NCAA rules that no one can ever follow.
__________________
...he went up late, and I was already up there.
paulxu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 06:31 PM   #18 (permalink)
Veteran
 
clark1a's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 1,190
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Re: Dez Is Gone

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulxu View Post
The problem is, Dez isn't a transfer in the normal sense. That implies that a kid decides to leave one school and go play at another. In order to keep people from jumping around, sit a year. Some conferences even have 2 year rules.

Again if you violate an "NCAA" rule, they may hammer you.
But that doesn't really apply here. The school expelled him. Whatever he did wasn't a violation of NCAA rules. Maybe they couldn't even legally keep him from playing if was pushed? Who knows.

But critical to Dez playing for Maryland this year was that in the waiver review, Xavier did not attempt to block it at all when asked about it by the NCAA. (They may have even said let him play, he's paid his price for breaking our rule) Whether they did that or not, they didn't try to stop it.

Breaking student conduct rules has its own set of consequences (like Dez, the kid at BYU, or Kavanaugh). Not sure they are the same as the bazillion NCAA rules that no one can ever follow.
And most kids are in good standing when they transfer, so go figure. Hey, if you play your cards right those interested in the education angle, can get a graduate year in, so 5 for 4, maybe better? eh?
clark1a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 07:14 PM   #19 (permalink)
Star
 
UMass87's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 3,796
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 425 Post(s)
Re: Dez Is Gone

The NCAA never ceases to amaze me with their corruptness.
UMass87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 07:27 PM   #20 (permalink)
Veteran
 
clark1a's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 1,190
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Re: Dez Is Gone

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/iona-g-...08--ncaab.html

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/ncaa-gi...17--ncaab.html


NY area must be getting a pass?
clark1a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 09:26 PM   #21 (permalink)
WH
Star
 

Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 3,503
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Re: Dez Is Gone

I think any kid who gets kicked out of one school should be immediately eligible at another school if his academics are in order. I don't even care if legal issues are involved. Leave it to the new school to figure out how to deal with the PR headache of letting a kid play who is involved with a legal case.

I simply see no reason why a kid that a school does not want anymore should have to sit out. I suppose there is a risk that some kids will try to get kicked out of a school on purpose, but I really doubt such a tactic would become widespread.
WH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 10:10 PM   #22 (permalink)
Veteran
 
clark1a's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 1,190
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Re: Dez Is Gone

Hey, if they get 5 fouls in a game, maybe they should be allowed to stay in the game, no rules. WH, so would you allow a kid that just wants to transfer to be allowed to suit up the next year, why penalize (?) him for doing nothing wrong, other than perhaps seeking a better opportunity and less time sitting on the bench.
You transfer, you sit out, seemed to work for a long, long time before. Today's culture is a totally different mentality, heck some don't even want to be there to begin with. The ncaa is a joke and the colleges are not too far behind.
clark1a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 10:39 PM   #23 (permalink)
All-Star
 
AdamtheFlyer's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 5,254
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Re: Dez Is Gone

I think the NCAA got this one right. Xavier is telling him he can't play. He didn't choose to leave to better his situation. He is not accused of any criminal action. He is in good academic standing. He should be able to transfer immediately.
__________________
Sure, I've been called a xenophobe, but the truth is, I'm not. I honestly just feel that America is the best country and the other countries aren't as good. That used to be called patriotism.
AdamtheFlyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 11:26 PM   #24 (permalink)
Player
 

Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 927
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Re: Dez Is Gone

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamtheFlyer View Post
I think the NCAA got this one right. Xavier is telling him he can't play. He didn't choose to leave to better his situation. He is not accused of any criminal action. He is in good academic standing. He should be able to transfer immediately.
So where's Kavanaugh going to end up this year?
__________________
When you live in Tool City, you care what the mayor thinks. - Blue Dog (September 9, 2009)
X Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 07:39 AM   #25 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
Photobucket
 
xu95's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Cincinnati
Age: 41
Posts: 3,596
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Re: Dez Is Gone

And why couldn't Stainbrook play this year? It is a very slippery slope.
xu95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 08:38 AM   #26 (permalink)
Veteran
 
ExplorerSteve's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 1,738
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Re: Dez Is Gone

Quote:
Originally Posted by WH View Post
I think any kid who gets kicked out of one school should be immediately eligible at another school if his academics are in order. I don't even care if legal issues are involved. Leave it to the new school to figure out how to deal with the PR headache of letting a kid play who is involved with a legal case.

I simply see no reason why a kid that a school does not want anymore should have to sit out. I suppose there is a risk that some kids will try to get kicked out of a school on purpose, but I really doubt such a tactic would become widespread.
I guess if you are a state school that doesn't have a morals clause then you can take kids who have behaved badly. The Catholic and other private schools don't have that option.
__________________
www.LaSalle-Explorers.com Unofficial Source for FREE LaSalle Explorers Information along with "Explorers Universe" Messageboard.
ExplorerSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 11:00 AM   #27 (permalink)
WH
Star
 

Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 3,503
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Re: Dez Is Gone

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExplorerSteve View Post
I guess if you are a state school that doesn't have a morals clause then you can take kids who have behaved badly. The Catholic and other private schools don't have that option.
So what? That's a school's choice. Different schools have different criteria for admission. It's not the NCAA's job to set uniform guidelines that would require, say, Duke, to lower its admission standards and Temple to raise them. The NCAA sets a floor and every school gets to set its own ceiling.

Clarka, Wells didn't choose to leave, as you know. X kicked him out. Your argument has no merit - comparing apples to oranges.
WH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 11:23 AM   #28 (permalink)
Benchwarmer
 

Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 183
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Re: Dez Is Gone

Why don't coaches who break contracts have to sit out a year before they start coaching? Maybe that would make things a little more balanced.
Muskeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 11:24 AM   #29 (permalink)
All-Star
 
AdamtheFlyer's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 5,254
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Re: Dez Is Gone

Quote:
Originally Posted by X Factor View Post
So where's Kavanaugh going to end up this year?
The couch.
__________________
Sure, I've been called a xenophobe, but the truth is, I'm not. I honestly just feel that America is the best country and the other countries aren't as good. That used to be called patriotism.
AdamtheFlyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 12:04 PM   #30 (permalink)
Player
 

Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 927
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Re: Dez Is Gone

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamtheFlyer View Post
The couch.
I'm sure there are a lot of schools out there that could use a serviceable big man for a year, and if the NCAA just ruled in Dez's favor, you would think Kavs would have an excellent case for immediate eligibility too.
__________________
When you live in Tool City, you care what the mayor thinks. - Blue Dog (September 9, 2009)
X Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:55 AM.



User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 2002 2013 BasketballBoards.net.

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1