More BCS realignment - Page 31 - Basketball Forum : Professional and College Basketball Forums
BasketballForum.com is the premier basketball Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
User Tag List

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2012, 10:08 PM   #451 (permalink)
Veteran
 

Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 1,389
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 346 Post(s)
Rep Power: 185200
jpschmack has a reputation beyond repute jpschmack has a reputation beyond repute jpschmack has a reputation beyond repute jpschmack has a reputation beyond repute jpschmack has a reputation beyond repute jpschmack has a reputation beyond repute jpschmack has a reputation beyond repute jpschmack has a reputation beyond repute jpschmack has a reputation beyond repute jpschmack has a reputation beyond repute jpschmack has a reputation beyond repute
Re: More BCS realignment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bona Wolf for Pope View Post
That's all well and good, but how do you know Stony Brook wanted in? With everything moving around, Stony Brook may figure they can just wait for the CAA (or CUSA in a year or two).

As long as Bonaventure doesn't end up in the MAAC, I'm all good.

#1 - The CAA has invited them for football only, but not all-sports.

#2 - The Am East has never had an at-large bid to the NCAA MBB Tournament, 20 total bids and four wins.
The MAAC has gotten an at-large bid, as recently as last season, 43 total bids and 16 wins.
jpschmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 12-05-2012, 04:07 PM   #452 (permalink)
Player
 

Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 586
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Rep Power: 13059
College Hoops has much to be proud of College Hoops has much to be proud of College Hoops has much to be proud of College Hoops has much to be proud of College Hoops has much to be proud of College Hoops has much to be proud of College Hoops has much to be proud of College Hoops has much to be proud of College Hoops has much to be proud of College Hoops has much to be proud of College Hoops has much to be proud of
Re: More BCS realignment

Rutgers has taken the proactive approach and sued the Big East over the exits fees and presumably other items as well. An interesting aspect to their suit is their claim the BE has not collected exit fees from those schools who have already left WVU & TCU, and if they have collected any monies they had not been distributed to member schools.I'm sure the litigation is intended as a negotiating tool to perhaps speed up their departure, and lessen monies they may have to pay,
College Hoops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 09:56 PM   #453 (permalink)
Veteran
 
DukesDan's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Columbus, OH
Posts: 1,152
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Rep Power: 15971
DukesDan has much to be proud of DukesDan has much to be proud of DukesDan has much to be proud of DukesDan has much to be proud of DukesDan has much to be proud of DukesDan has much to be proud of DukesDan has much to be proud of DukesDan has much to be proud of DukesDan has much to be proud of DukesDan has much to be proud of DukesDan has much to be proud of
Re: More BCS realignment

Uh oh

Gary Parrish Post

Big East's non-football members meet, discuss possible breakaway
__________________
Duquesne Dukes



#15 Cooper #11 Green #10 Nixon #12 Ricketts #24 Somerset
DukesDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 10:04 PM   #454 (permalink)
Benchwarmer
 
Simms's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 100
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Rep Power: 1395
Simms has disabled reputation
Re: More BCS realignment

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/st...tholic-schools


Meh, I want the current A10 to stick together.
Simms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 11:06 PM   #455 (permalink)
Veteran
 

Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 1,389
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 346 Post(s)
Rep Power: 185200
jpschmack has a reputation beyond repute jpschmack has a reputation beyond repute jpschmack has a reputation beyond repute jpschmack has a reputation beyond repute jpschmack has a reputation beyond repute jpschmack has a reputation beyond repute jpschmack has a reputation beyond repute jpschmack has a reputation beyond repute jpschmack has a reputation beyond repute jpschmack has a reputation beyond repute jpschmack has a reputation beyond repute
Re: More BCS realignment

This is not good if you're a Saint Joe's, LaSalle, Rhode Island, Fordham, George Washington or St. Bonaventure fan. And might not be good if you're a Duquesne, VCU, Richmond, Butler or UMass fan.
jpschmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 01:26 AM   #456 (permalink)
Moderator
Photobucket
 
DistrictBaller's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Richmond, VA
Posts: 4,070
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Rep Power: 60999
DistrictBaller has a brilliant future DistrictBaller has a brilliant future DistrictBaller has a brilliant future DistrictBaller has a brilliant future DistrictBaller has a brilliant future DistrictBaller has a brilliant future DistrictBaller has a brilliant future DistrictBaller has a brilliant future DistrictBaller has a brilliant future DistrictBaller has a brilliant future DistrictBaller has a brilliant future
Re: More BCS realignment

There seems to be a lot like posturing from the basketball schools. There is no scenario where they are better off financially by splitting off and starting a new basketball conference.

Of course, if it happens, I agree that it's bad for the schools left behind. As a VCU fan, I'd think worst case even if we were left behind we'd be in a better basketball conference than the CAA, so it's not as bad as the alternative.

Say the catholics take Xavier, Dayton, Butler and Saint Louis, neither Dayton or Saint Louis are regularly in the NCAA tournament at all. Xavier and Butler would be huge losses, but Butler is brand new anyway and has yet to play a game in this conference. X is the big kingpin that would be pretty much impossible to replace.

Either way, the chances of the basketball schools splitting off and poaching the A-10 are slim IMHO. I can see why they are extremely unhappy with the current state of affairs in the Big East however. There is little that is major about that conference from both a football and basketball perspective.

An A-10 with St. Joe's, VCU, UMass, Richmond, La Salle, Rhode Island, George Washington, Duquesne, St. Bonaventure, and Fordham isn't the greatest basketball conference, but still decent. We'd also have plenty of leverage to get schools like George Mason which is a positive geographically for VCU and still better than the current CAA from our standpoint.

That is far from what I'd like to see, but as a worst-case scenario, it's not half-bad compared to being in the current CAA.
__________________
"We will wreak havoc on our opponent's psyche and plan of attack."
- VCU Head Coach Shaka Smart
DistrictBaller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 06:20 AM   #457 (permalink)
Player
 

Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 720
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Rep Power: 3987
A10BBall is a name known to all A10BBall is a name known to all A10BBall is a name known to all A10BBall is a name known to all A10BBall is a name known to all A10BBall is a name known to all A10BBall is a name known to all A10BBall is a name known to all A10BBall is a name known to all A10BBall is a name known to all A10BBall is a name known to all
Re: More BCS realignment

Not really much to be worried about.. Those 7 big east basketball schools are as a whole just not that good. If CBS thinks that the Big East basketball school are going to get $1 million per year from a TV deal which is higher than I thought then the basketball schools will not go. Why? Because a TV deal for that proposed basketball will not nearly come close to achieving that number. The newly proposed schools won't go there as a part of the full conference as one the football schools won't allow it and plus they have a fair amount of schools already. Georgetown is broke. Nova is struggling for cash. They can't even fill a third of their NBA arenas for home games, they will go for the largest TV dollar which will come from the TV deal with the Big East football schools.
A10BBall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 06:34 AM   #458 (permalink)
Player
 
Medford's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 831
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Rep Power: 159560
Medford has a reputation beyond repute Medford has a reputation beyond repute Medford has a reputation beyond repute Medford has a reputation beyond repute Medford has a reputation beyond repute Medford has a reputation beyond repute Medford has a reputation beyond repute Medford has a reputation beyond repute Medford has a reputation beyond repute Medford has a reputation beyond repute Medford has a reputation beyond repute
Re: More BCS realignment

I'll agree w/ district baller that the chances remain slim, but there are rumors that the BBall onlies may only get roughly $1 mil out of the deal being negotiated. What if it drops, or what if there is language in the deal that allows the total money to drop should UConn, UC, Boise, etc... depart???

The key question in that regard, is what is a TV deal worth comprised of those 7, plus a handful of choosen schools. You also have to balance out the travel expenses they're going to see for non revenue sports traveling to New Orleans and Texas on a regular basis for conference games, vs the shorter travel they could arrange in say a 6x6 format split East-(mid)west. I have little doubt they have an "ish" figure from ESPN, CBS, NBC or elsewhere that tells them what that deal would be worth. Could they talk the "right" partners into joining that conference? Would Butler, X, UD, SLU, Creighton, VCU, Richmond, etc... listen??? Are the committed to each other and willing to tell the Big East 7 to go walk a plank? Would one team "chicken out" and jump at first offer in fear that others would take their place like colorado did when moving to the P12?

If the current a-10 deal w/ 14 teams (moving forward) is worth the reported $375k a season, then its not that hard to assume that a TV deal w/ the Big East 7 plus 2-7 more of the cream of the non football world is worth mroe than $375k. How close it gets what they can get out of the Big East is the key.
Medford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 06:36 AM   #459 (permalink)
Player
 
Moliva's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Richmond
Posts: 829
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Rep Power: 27972
Moliva has much to be proud of Moliva has much to be proud of Moliva has much to be proud of Moliva has much to be proud of Moliva has much to be proud of Moliva has much to be proud of Moliva has much to be proud of Moliva has much to be proud of Moliva has much to be proud of Moliva has much to be proud of Moliva has much to be proud of
Re: More BCS realignment

Quote:
Originally Posted by A10BBall View Post
Georgetown is broke. Nova is struggling for cash.
Not that I disagree with anything you said but can you expand on this? I figured both schools were fairly well capitalized.
Moliva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 06:39 AM   #460 (permalink)
Player
 
Medford's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 831
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Rep Power: 159560
Medford has a reputation beyond repute Medford has a reputation beyond repute Medford has a reputation beyond repute Medford has a reputation beyond repute Medford has a reputation beyond repute Medford has a reputation beyond repute Medford has a reputation beyond repute Medford has a reputation beyond repute Medford has a reputation beyond repute Medford has a reputation beyond repute Medford has a reputation beyond repute
Re: More BCS realignment

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpschmack View Post
This is not good if you're a Saint Joe's, LaSalle, Rhode Island, Fordham, George Washington or St. Bonaventure fan. And might not be good if you're a Duquesne, VCU, Richmond, Butler or UMass fan.
Save Xavier, I'm not sure that any A-10 school can feel totally good. From a Dayton perspective, what if they choose to go to 9 or 10 schools and felt like the Dayton-cincy overlap was too much to generate the TV dollars they could get out of adding, Butler, SLU & X? or Xavier, SLU & Richmond? or whatever other combo you want to throw out there.

Of course those teams that often get talked about have to ask themselves how much better would that conference be than the A-10 moving forward? How much more would the TV dollars be?
Medford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 06:43 AM   #461 (permalink)
Player
 
Moliva's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Richmond
Posts: 829
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Rep Power: 27972
Moliva has much to be proud of Moliva has much to be proud of Moliva has much to be proud of Moliva has much to be proud of Moliva has much to be proud of Moliva has much to be proud of Moliva has much to be proud of Moliva has much to be proud of Moliva has much to be proud of Moliva has much to be proud of Moliva has much to be proud of
Re: More BCS realignment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medford View Post
Would Butler, X, UD, SLU, Creighton, VCU, Richmond, etc... listen??? Are the committed to each other and willing to tell the Big East 7 to go walk a plank? Would one team "chicken out" and jump at first offer in fear that others would take their place like colorado did when moving to the P12?
Unfortunately, I think the answer to that question is probably 'yes'.

What I can tell you is that University of Richmond won't be making any decisions on a couple hundred thousand dollars of TV money.
Moliva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 06:44 AM   #462 (permalink)
Star
 
Bill Russell's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 2,763
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 290 Post(s)
Rep Power: 36492
Bill Russell has much to be proud of Bill Russell has much to be proud of Bill Russell has much to be proud of Bill Russell has much to be proud of Bill Russell has much to be proud of Bill Russell has much to be proud of Bill Russell has much to be proud of Bill Russell has much to be proud of Bill Russell has much to be proud of Bill Russell has much to be proud of Bill Russell has much to be proud of
Re: More BCS realignment

The A10 has something special building here and it would be a damn shame if a shell of the Big East broke it up.
__________________
www.bonaalumni.com
Bill Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 06:45 AM   #463 (permalink)
Player
 
rworkman09's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 821
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Rep Power: 602
rworkman09 is a glorious beacon of light rworkman09 is a glorious beacon of light rworkman09 is a glorious beacon of light rworkman09 is a glorious beacon of light rworkman09 is a glorious beacon of light rworkman09 is a glorious beacon of light rworkman09 is a glorious beacon of light rworkman09 is a glorious beacon of light rworkman09 is a glorious beacon of light rworkman09 is a glorious beacon of light rworkman09 is a glorious beacon of light
Re: More BCS realignment

Quote:
Originally Posted by DistrictBaller View Post
There seems to be a lot like posturing from the basketball schools. There is no scenario where they are better off financially by splitting off and starting a new basketball conference.

Of course, if it happens, I agree that it's bad for the schools left behind. As a VCU fan, I'd think worst case even if we were left behind we'd be in a better basketball conference than the CAA, so it's not as bad as the alternative.

Say the catholics take Xavier, Dayton, Butler and Saint Louis, neither Dayton or Saint Louis are regularly in the NCAA tournament at all. Xavier and Butler would be huge losses, but Butler is brand new anyway and has yet to play a game in this conference. X is the big kingpin that would be pretty much impossible to replace.

Either way, the chances of the basketball schools splitting off and poaching the A-10 are slim IMHO. I can see why they are extremely unhappy with the current state of affairs in the Big East however. There is little that is major about that conference from both a football and basketball perspective.

An A-10 with St. Joe's, VCU, UMass, Richmond, La Salle, Rhode Island, George Washington, Duquesne, St. Bonaventure, and Fordham isn't the greatest basketball conference, but still decent. We'd also have plenty of leverage to get schools like George Mason which is a positive geographically for VCU and still better than the current CAA from our standpoint.

That is far from what I'd like to see, but as a worst-case scenario, it's not half-bad compared to being in the current CAA.
Apparently if the conference gets $80MM in television money (which is on the high side of what was being reported by CBS), then the basketball schools will actually see their television revenue drop.

Running a basketball program really isn't all that expensive. Xavier does it very well on A10 money, the Catholic schools in the BE could as well. They'll be seeing some very empty arenas while hosting SMU, Tulane, and some of the other mediocre to bad programs pulled into the Big East. The loss of ticket revenue alone may more than cancel out any television revenue they get from staying vs leaving.

Pull in Dayton, Butler, and Xavier to go with Georgetown, Marquette, and Villanova and you have a damn good basketball conference.

Anything that happens could happen relatively quickly because this has to be done before the new schools become members of the conference. If it doesn't happen before July 1, then people need to drop the "the Big East schools will eventually break away" argument because that point is is obvious that they won't.
rworkman09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 06:56 AM   #464 (permalink)
Player
 

Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 720
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Rep Power: 3987
A10BBall is a name known to all A10BBall is a name known to all A10BBall is a name known to all A10BBall is a name known to all A10BBall is a name known to all A10BBall is a name known to all A10BBall is a name known to all A10BBall is a name known to all A10BBall is a name known to all A10BBall is a name known to all A10BBall is a name known to all
Re: More BCS realignment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medford View Post
I'll agree w/ district baller that the chances remain slim, but there are rumors that the BBall onlies may only get roughly $1 mil out of the deal being negotiated. What if it drops, or what if there is language in the deal that allows the total money to drop should UConn, UC, Boise, etc... depart???

The key question in that regard, is what is a TV deal worth comprised of those 7, plus a handful of choosen schools. You also have to balance out the travel expenses they're going to see for non revenue sports traveling to New Orleans and Texas on a regular basis for conference games, vs the shorter travel they could arrange in say a 6x6 format split East-(mid)west. I have little doubt they have an "ish" figure from ESPN, CBS, NBC or elsewhere that tells them what that deal would be worth. Could they talk the "right" partners into joining that conference? Would Butler, X, UD, SLU, Creighton, VCU, Richmond, etc... listen??? Are the committed to each other and willing to tell the Big East 7 to go walk a plank? Would one team "chicken out" and jump at first offer in fear that others would take their place like colorado did when moving to the P12?

If the current a-10 deal w/ 14 teams (moving forward) is worth the reported $375k a season, then its not that hard to assume that a TV deal w/ the Big East 7 plus 2-7 more of the cream of the non football world is worth mroe than $375k. How close it gets what they can get out of the Big East is the key.
Problem is that.. When you take that 7 and add 2-7 of the cream of the NF world, you get the current A-10.. The reason why their original isn't good... We have been over this.. Their contract is not going to be that good... or not that much better than the A-10 TV Deal.. AND DEF NOT ENOUGH TO WARRANT A CHANGE AND THE RISK OF LOST DOLLARS... We have been over this numerous times
A10BBall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 06:57 AM   #465 (permalink)
Player
 

Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 720
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Rep Power: 3987
A10BBall is a name known to all A10BBall is a name known to all A10BBall is a name known to all A10BBall is a name known to all A10BBall is a name known to all A10BBall is a name known to all A10BBall is a name known to all A10BBall is a name known to all A10BBall is a name known to all A10BBall is a name known to all A10BBall is a name known to all
Re: More BCS realignment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moliva View Post
Unfortunately, I think the answer to that question is probably 'yes'.

What I can tell you is that University of Richmond won't be making any decisions on a couple hundred thousand dollars of TV money.
That is exactly what this is going to be and why they won't be listening
A10BBall is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:37 PM.



User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 2002 2013 BasketballBoards.net.

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1