The potentially premature goodbye thread - Page 2 - Basketball Forum : Professional and College Basketball Forums
BasketballForum.com is the premier basketball Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
User Tag List

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2012, 02:34 PM   #16 (permalink)
The Professor
 
X-man47's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Section 104, Cintas Center
Posts: 1,025
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Re: The potentially premature goodbye thread

I don't want to say good-by to the A10; it's been a great league for the Muskies and with the latest additions to the league, arguably a better league than the one which includes the BE7. Instead, I want to say "hello" to 2-4 of the BE7 (G'town/Marquette for sure, and maybe St John's/Villanova). Frankly the only reason why a move would make sense is if the BE7 poached other teams from the current A10 and weakened the league. But if the A10 hangs tough, I say let's keep the league together.
__________________
Xavier always goes to the NCAA tournament, and almost always makes some noise while there. Projecting anything less than that this season feels like folly.
Eamonn Brennan, ESPN (Summer Shootaround, 2012)
X-man47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 12-13-2012, 02:36 PM   #17 (permalink)
Banned Member
 

Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 335
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Re: The potentially premature goodbye thread

The Big East/A-10 fates say one thing: a conference with both FBS and non-FBS programs is meant to fail. Just too many diametrically opposed positions.
Title_BU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 02:37 PM   #18 (permalink)
Player
 
e-parade's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2012
Location: Boston
Posts: 703
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Re: The potentially premature goodbye thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-man47 View Post
I don't want to say good-by to the A10; it's been a great league for the Muskies and with the latest additions to the league, arguably a better league than the one which includes the BE7. Instead, I want to say "hello" to 2-4 of the BE7 (G'town/Marquette for sure, and maybe St John's/Villanova). Frankly the only reason why a move would make sense is if the BE7 poached other teams from the current A10 and weakened the league. But if the A10 hangs tough, I say let's keep the league together.
It would be kind of hilarious if no one ended up joining the BE7 in the new league.
e-parade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 02:44 PM   #19 (permalink)
Veteran
 
DukesDan's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Columbus, OH
Posts: 1,152
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Re: The potentially premature goodbye thread

Lets get ahead of ourselves!

It appears the most likely scenario is a depleted A10 left with:
Umass
Rhode Island
Fordham
Richmond
George Washington
LaSalle
St. Joes
St. Bona
Duquesne
VCU

I think Butler, Xavier, Dayton, and St. Louis are gone and will join Creighton in the new conference.

Who does the A10 go after to poach some good basketball schools?



George Mason
Detroit
Valpo
Siena
Drexel
Davidson
Murray State
Bucknell
Lehigh
Northern Iowa
Wichita State
Iona
Middle Tennessee


Which of those teams would possibly make the switch? Some are more outrageous than others. I am not sure where these schools stand in football either.

Also what is the magic number for members of the A10? If it is 10 then maybe the conference shouldn't add anyone.
__________________
Duquesne Dukes



#15 Cooper #11 Green #10 Nixon #12 Ricketts #24 Somerset
DukesDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 02:49 PM   #20 (permalink)
Player
 
Moliva's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Richmond
Posts: 835
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Re: The potentially premature goodbye thread

^^George Mason and Davidson. There will no longer be a geographic fit with the Midwest. Our furthest west school would be Duquense.

Go back to being an "Atlantic" Conference.

If we can't get both of them, add Siena.

Play the conference tourney at The Palestra.
Moliva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 02:54 PM   #21 (permalink)
Star
 
Bill Russell's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 2,861
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 348 Post(s)
Re: The potentially premature goodbye thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moliva View Post
^^George Mason and Davidson. There will no longer be a geographic fit with the Midwest. Our furthest west school would be Duquense.

Go back to being an "Atlantic" Conference.

If we can't get both of them, add Siena.

Play the conference tourney at The Palestra.
Moliva, I think we'd get along pretty well. Your posts are usually dead on through my eyes. I'd love to add Mason and Davidson. I realize distance would be an issue, but I've always loved the Charleston program. Siena could fit, but they seem to struggle maintaining any type of consistency in the MAAC. Drexel wouldn't be a fit at all due to their facilities and our other Philly schools.
__________________
www.bonaalumni.com
Bill Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 02:56 PM   #22 (permalink)
Resident Arachnid of the MPT
 
SpiderInThePastaBowl's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 19,274
Mentioned: 790 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2209 Post(s)
Re: The potentially premature goodbye thread

So much for solidarity.

SpiderInThePastaBowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 02:56 PM   #23 (permalink)
Player
 
e-parade's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2012
Location: Boston
Posts: 703
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Re: The potentially premature goodbye thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Russell View Post
Moliva, I think we'd get along pretty well. Your posts are usually dead on through my eyes. I'd love to add Mason and Davidson. I realize distance would be an issue, but I've always loved the Charleston program. Siena could fit, but they seem to struggle maintaining any type of consistency in the MAAC. Drexel wouldn't be a fit at all due to their facilities and our other Philly schools.
But their Dragon court is pretty badass.
e-parade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 03:00 PM   #24 (permalink)
Star
 
Bill Russell's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 2,861
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 348 Post(s)
Re: The potentially premature goodbye thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by e-parade View Post
But their Dragon court is pretty badass.
That it is.
__________________
www.bonaalumni.com
Bill Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 03:13 PM   #25 (permalink)
6th Man
 

Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 349
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Re: The potentially premature goodbye thread

my thought is that if the BE7 flash enough green your "friend" will be the one holding the knife stuck in your back.
nomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 03:18 PM   #26 (permalink)
Player
 
Moliva's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Richmond
Posts: 835
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Re: The potentially premature goodbye thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Russell View Post
Moliva, I think we'd get along pretty well. Your posts are usually dead on through my eyes. I'd love to add Mason and Davidson. I realize distance would be an issue, but I've always loved the Charleston program. Siena could fit, but they seem to struggle maintaining any type of consistency in the MAAC. Drexel wouldn't be a fit at all due to their facilities and our other Philly schools.
Thanks Bill. Backatcha. I'm also a fan of your work as one of the greatest pivot men to ever play the game.
Moliva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 03:19 PM   #27 (permalink)
Player
 
Moliva's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Richmond
Posts: 835
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Re: The potentially premature goodbye thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiderInTheMixingBowl View Post
So much for solidarity.

:2worf:
Moliva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 03:31 PM   #28 (permalink)
Veteran
 
DukesDan's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Columbus, OH
Posts: 1,152
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Re: The potentially premature goodbye thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moliva View Post
^^George Mason and Davidson. There will no longer be a geographic fit with the Midwest. Our furthest west school would be Duquense.

Go back to being an "Atlantic" Conference.

If we can't get both of them, add Siena.

Play the conference tourney at The Palestra.
Actually Davidson is further west than Duquesne (probably 40 miles)

Siena and Davidson seem like decent picks but they dont really help in recruiting or markets...



Detroit and George Mason might be my choices but I have very little reason behind those choices. Duquesne has had some success in recruiting Michigan and Detroit remains a large untapped city.

I don't know a whole lot about Davidson basketball.

Davidson's arena:



Detroit's arena:


Siena's arena:



George Mason's arena:



These are all pretty nice. Siena takes the cake though IMO.
__________________
Duquesne Dukes



#15 Cooper #11 Green #10 Nixon #12 Ricketts #24 Somerset

Last edited by DukesDan; 12-13-2012 at 03:40 PM.
DukesDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 03:41 PM   #29 (permalink)
Player
 
Hawkamaniac's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Philadelphia, Pa.
Age: 45
Posts: 839
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Re: The potentially premature goodbye thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by DukesDan View Post
Lets get ahead of ourselves!

It appears the most likely scenario is a depleted A10 left with:
Umass
Rhode Island
Fordham
Richmond
George Washington
LaSalle
St. Joes
St. Bona
Duquesne
VCU

I think Butler, Xavier, Dayton, and St. Louis are gone and will join Creighton in the new conference.

Who does the A10 go after to poach some good basketball schools?



George Mason
Detroit
Valpo
Siena
Drexel
Davidson
Murray State
Bucknell
Lehigh
Northern Iowa
Wichita State
Iona
Middle Tennessee


Which of those teams would possibly make the switch? Some are more outrageous than others. I am not sure where these schools stand in football either.

Also what is the magic number for members of the A10? If it is 10 then maybe the conference shouldn't add anyone.
GMU definitely. I would say Siena but how about Hofstra to give us more of a NYC presence.

And yes, the departures of the midwest teams would end the conference's presence in that part of the country. Just focus on the eastern seaboard.
Hawkamaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 03:46 PM   #30 (permalink)
Veteran
 
DukesDan's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Columbus, OH
Posts: 1,152
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Re: The potentially premature goodbye thread

Well there are lots of options. I guess it makes more sense to stay east coast than try to add mid west markets. A tv deal wont be the biggest goal I guess.
__________________
Duquesne Dukes



#15 Cooper #11 Green #10 Nixon #12 Ricketts #24 Somerset
DukesDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:29 AM.



User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 2002 2013 BasketballBoards.net.

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1