CONTEST: Predict the New 'BE12' Conference Teams - Page 8 - Basketball Forum : Professional and College Basketball Forums
BasketballForum.com is the premier basketball Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
User Tag List

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-19-2012, 09:20 AM   #106 (permalink)
Veteran
 
xudash's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 2,346
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Rep Power: 39490
xudash has much to be proud of xudash has much to be proud of xudash has much to be proud of xudash has much to be proud of xudash has much to be proud of xudash has much to be proud of xudash has much to be proud of xudash has much to be proud of xudash has much to be proud of xudash has much to be proud of xudash has much to be proud of
Re: CONTEST: Predict the New 'BE12' Conference Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bona Wolf for Pope View Post
I figured this is why he was ramping up his hatred of Bonas. On the off chance Dayton gets left out, he's going to need a new scapegoat for the Flyers' failings.
Yep. You know it's coming. Olean will be to blame for jet lag and everything else. Muddled will start posting Mapquest maps with charts and graphs and commentary. He'll explode every time you guys take UD out in the Reilly Center.
xudash is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 12-19-2012, 10:21 AM   #107 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
Photobucket
 
xu95's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Cincinnati
Age: 41
Posts: 3,596
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Rep Power: 332175
xu95 has a reputation beyond repute xu95 has a reputation beyond repute xu95 has a reputation beyond repute xu95 has a reputation beyond repute xu95 has a reputation beyond repute xu95 has a reputation beyond repute xu95 has a reputation beyond repute xu95 has a reputation beyond repute xu95 has a reputation beyond repute xu95 has a reputation beyond repute xu95 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: CONTEST: Predict the New 'BE12' Conference Teams

Dayton can get in.....if they invite enough teams to go to 12. If they stop at 10 than Dayton is out of luck.

This has nothing to do with being Catholic. They will prove that by making Butler the second invite after Xavier. In fact, they might make Butler the first invite just to prove the point.

Marquette doesn't like Dayton. I don't know why and I don't care to know the history. I can promise you with 100% certainty that it isn't because Chris Wright dunked the ball one day in Chicago and his nuts got implanted in someone's face. It has absolutely nothing to do with it. It is probably for the same reason that Xavier never gets an invite to the Maui Classic.....the Marianists stick together.

I think there are two things hurting Dayton. 1. They are not consistently in the NCAA tournament (I know SLU isn't either but Marquette likes them) so the league will not be able to rely on NCAA credits from them, and 2. A boatload of people in Dayton already watch college basketball on ESPN and it isn't because they are watching Dayton play because Dayton is hardly ever on ESPN. Therefore, ESPN already has the Dayton market and putting them in this league won't change that any, however, there is a good chance that more people in St. Louis or Omaha would watch ESPN if their team was actually on ESPN.
xu95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 10:35 AM   #108 (permalink)
Veteran
 
bprichard's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2012
Location: Shanghai, China
Age: 33
Posts: 1,524
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Rep Power: 211769
bprichard has a reputation beyond repute bprichard has a reputation beyond repute bprichard has a reputation beyond repute bprichard has a reputation beyond repute bprichard has a reputation beyond repute bprichard has a reputation beyond repute bprichard has a reputation beyond repute bprichard has a reputation beyond repute bprichard has a reputation beyond repute bprichard has a reputation beyond repute bprichard has a reputation beyond repute
Re: CONTEST: Predict the New 'BE12' Conference Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by xu95 View Post
Dayton can get in.....if they invite enough teams to go to 12. If they stop at 10 than Dayton is out of luck.

This has nothing to do with being Catholic. They will prove that by making Butler the second invite after Xavier. In fact, they might make Butler the first invite just to prove the point.

Marquette doesn't like Dayton. I don't know why and I don't care to know the history. I can promise you with 100% certainty that it isn't because Chris Wright dunked the ball one day in Chicago and his nuts got implanted in someone's face. It has absolutely nothing to do with it. It is probably for the same reason that Xavier never gets an invite to the Maui Classic.....the Marianists stick together.

I think there are two things hurting Dayton. 1. They are not consistently in the NCAA tournament (I know SLU isn't either but Marquette likes them) so the league will not be able to rely on NCAA credits from them, and 2. A boatload of people in Dayton already watch college basketball on ESPN and it isn't because they are watching Dayton play because Dayton is hardly ever on ESPN. Therefore, ESPN already has the Dayton market and putting them in this league won't change that any, however, there is a good chance that more people in St. Louis or Omaha would watch ESPN if their team was actually on ESPN.
Good points all. I think there is still a chance that Dayton can get in with a 10 team league. Other than Marquette, I think the other teams are probably fine with Dayton vis a vis St. Louis because they realize that even though St. Louis sounds like a good market, SLU just doesn't carry the market. (I think Georgetown and Villanova kind of hold their noses about most Midwestern schools.) But it's still dicey for the exact reasons you mentioned.

Personally, I just wish it would all get sorted as quickly as possible. Invite Dayton, don't invite Dayton, then we can just move on and play basketball games.
bprichard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 11:03 AM   #109 (permalink)
Player
 
Bona Wolf for Pope's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 865
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Rep Power: 267433
Bona Wolf for Pope has a reputation beyond repute Bona Wolf for Pope has a reputation beyond repute Bona Wolf for Pope has a reputation beyond repute Bona Wolf for Pope has a reputation beyond repute Bona Wolf for Pope has a reputation beyond repute Bona Wolf for Pope has a reputation beyond repute Bona Wolf for Pope has a reputation beyond repute Bona Wolf for Pope has a reputation beyond repute Bona Wolf for Pope has a reputation beyond repute Bona Wolf for Pope has a reputation beyond repute Bona Wolf for Pope has a reputation beyond repute
Re: CONTEST: Predict the New 'BE12' Conference Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by xu95 View Post
Dayton can get in.....if they invite enough teams to go to 12. If they stop at 10 than Dayton is out of luck.

This has nothing to do with being Catholic. They will prove that by making Butler the second invite after Xavier. In fact, they might make Butler the first invite just to prove the point.

Marquette doesn't like Dayton. I don't know why and I don't care to know the history. I can promise you with 100% certainty that it isn't because Chris Wright dunked the ball one day in Chicago and his nuts got implanted in someone's face. It has absolutely nothing to do with it. It is probably for the same reason that Xavier never gets an invite to the Maui Classic.....the Marianists stick together.

I think there are two things hurting Dayton. 1. They are not consistently in the NCAA tournament (I know SLU isn't either but Marquette likes them) so the league will not be able to rely on NCAA credits from them, and 2. A boatload of people in Dayton already watch college basketball on ESPN and it isn't because they are watching Dayton play because Dayton is hardly ever on ESPN. Therefore, ESPN already has the Dayton market and putting them in this league won't change that any, however, there is a good chance that more people in St. Louis or Omaha would watch ESPN if their team was actually on ESPN.
So it has nothing to do with being Catholic, but being Marianist (or not) IS a factor? I think you kind of contradict your point there (for the record, I don't think it's catholic, but private certainly helps).

If Dayton is hanging their hat on their rivalry with Xavier to give them a boost, the league still gets that game in the OOC if they want it. Is Dayton going to stop playing X if they're in separate leagues?
__________________
"Careful reading comprehension is crucial to an online forum discussion."
Bona Wolf for Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 11:23 AM   #110 (permalink)
Banned Member
 

Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Victory Parkway Xavier University
Posts: 3,867
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Rep Power: 0
MudFlap has a reputation beyond repute MudFlap has a reputation beyond repute MudFlap has a reputation beyond repute MudFlap has a reputation beyond repute MudFlap has a reputation beyond repute MudFlap has a reputation beyond repute MudFlap has a reputation beyond repute MudFlap has a reputation beyond repute MudFlap has a reputation beyond repute MudFlap has a reputation beyond repute MudFlap has a reputation beyond repute
Re: CONTEST: Predict the New 'BE12' Conference Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddy Waters View Post
If I am wrong and the Presidents of the BE7 Catholic universities do decide to limit membership to 10 schools, Butler will be left out, because five of the seven institutions now leaving the Big East are led by priests or members of religious orders.

X and Butler are locks. All we know right now.

http://www.indystar.com/article/2012...=mod%7Cmostcom
MudFlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 11:29 AM   #111 (permalink)
Veteran
 
bprichard's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2012
Location: Shanghai, China
Age: 33
Posts: 1,524
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Rep Power: 211769
bprichard has a reputation beyond repute bprichard has a reputation beyond repute bprichard has a reputation beyond repute bprichard has a reputation beyond repute bprichard has a reputation beyond repute bprichard has a reputation beyond repute bprichard has a reputation beyond repute bprichard has a reputation beyond repute bprichard has a reputation beyond repute bprichard has a reputation beyond repute bprichard has a reputation beyond repute
Re: CONTEST: Predict the New 'BE12' Conference Teams

Petulant reaction from Geno Auriemma: http://espn.go.com/womens-college-ba...heir-money-ran
bprichard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 11:37 AM   #112 (permalink)
MEAC to Back A-10 Champions
Photobucket
 
EpicFailGuy's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: St. Louis Metro
Posts: 13,683
Mentioned: 203 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Rep Power: 1858432
EpicFailGuy has a reputation beyond repute EpicFailGuy has a reputation beyond repute EpicFailGuy has a reputation beyond repute EpicFailGuy has a reputation beyond repute EpicFailGuy has a reputation beyond repute EpicFailGuy has a reputation beyond repute EpicFailGuy has a reputation beyond repute EpicFailGuy has a reputation beyond repute EpicFailGuy has a reputation beyond repute EpicFailGuy has a reputation beyond repute EpicFailGuy has a reputation beyond repute
Re: CONTEST: Predict the New 'BE12' Conference Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by bprichard View Post
Petulant reaction from Geno Auriemma: http://espn.go.com/womens-college-ba...heir-money-ran
Somebody needs to send Geno some cheese for his whine.
__________________
Mom, thanks for everything.

Mizzou NCAA Tournament wins since 2003: 4
Mizzou basketball arrests since 3/17/2014: 4
Any questions?

KVBL Detroit Pistons

2023 KVBL Champions: St. Louis Warriors (El Shaqtus)

2026 KVBL First Loser
2038 KVBL First Loser
2 BBBL First Losers
EpicFailGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 11:42 AM   #113 (permalink)
Player
 
Medford's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 811
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Rep Power: 159560
Medford has a reputation beyond repute Medford has a reputation beyond repute Medford has a reputation beyond repute Medford has a reputation beyond repute Medford has a reputation beyond repute Medford has a reputation beyond repute Medford has a reputation beyond repute Medford has a reputation beyond repute Medford has a reputation beyond repute Medford has a reputation beyond repute Medford has a reputation beyond repute
Re: CONTEST: Predict the New 'BE12' Conference Teams

So Geno, the demise of the Big East is all the fault of 7 basketball schools, not the fault of all of the departing football playing schools or those still in the Big East that habe publically stated how they would like to move elsewhere? I wonder if he knows how to find the word ironic in a dictionay. what a blowhard.
Medford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 12:00 PM   #114 (permalink)
Veteran
 
bprichard's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2012
Location: Shanghai, China
Age: 33
Posts: 1,524
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Rep Power: 211769
bprichard has a reputation beyond repute bprichard has a reputation beyond repute bprichard has a reputation beyond repute bprichard has a reputation beyond repute bprichard has a reputation beyond repute bprichard has a reputation beyond repute bprichard has a reputation beyond repute bprichard has a reputation beyond repute bprichard has a reputation beyond repute bprichard has a reputation beyond repute bprichard has a reputation beyond repute
Re: CONTEST: Predict the New 'BE12' Conference Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medford View Post
So Geno, the demise of the Big East is all the fault of 7 basketball schools, not the fault of all of the departing football playing schools or those still in the Big East that habe publically stated how they would like to move elsewhere? I wonder if he knows how to find the word ironic in a dictionay. what a blowhard.
He doesn't seem to realize that UConn made their own bed with their insistence on building a I-A football program. Otherwise, they would have been right there with the BE7 instead of stuck with Cincinnati as the two football programs with so little interest from the fanbase that no one wants them.
bprichard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 12:59 PM   #115 (permalink)
Rookie
 
DoubleJayAlum's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Omaha
Posts: 73
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Rep Power: 2830
DoubleJayAlum is a name known to all DoubleJayAlum is a name known to all DoubleJayAlum is a name known to all DoubleJayAlum is a name known to all DoubleJayAlum is a name known to all DoubleJayAlum is a name known to all DoubleJayAlum is a name known to all DoubleJayAlum is a name known to all DoubleJayAlum is a name known to all DoubleJayAlum is a name known to all DoubleJayAlum is a name known to all
Re: CONTEST: Predict the New 'BE12' Conference Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by bprichard View Post
He doesn't seem to realize that UConn made their own bed with their insistence on building a I-A football program. Otherwise, they would have been right there with the BE7 instead of stuck with Cincinnati as the two football programs with so little interest from the fanbase that no one wants them.
I think UConn made their own bed by getting busted cheating and not being eligible for the NCAA tournament due to APR issues.

Of course, if that wasn't enough, publicly begging for the ACC to take you in when they took in other BE teams probably doesn't create a lot of trust and camaraderie with your conference mates.
DoubleJayAlum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 01:08 PM   #116 (permalink)
Rookie
 
DoubleJayAlum's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Omaha
Posts: 73
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Rep Power: 2830
DoubleJayAlum is a name known to all DoubleJayAlum is a name known to all DoubleJayAlum is a name known to all DoubleJayAlum is a name known to all DoubleJayAlum is a name known to all DoubleJayAlum is a name known to all DoubleJayAlum is a name known to all DoubleJayAlum is a name known to all DoubleJayAlum is a name known to all DoubleJayAlum is a name known to all DoubleJayAlum is a name known to all
Re: CONTEST: Predict the New 'BE12' Conference Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudFlap View Post
X and Butler are locks. All we know right now.

http://www.indystar.com/article/2012...=mod%7Cmostcom
I don't think the article states that. I do admit that the statements by Butler's President certainly seem to point toward the move rather than away from it.

We are experiencing the same thing here. Back a year and a half ago, when Creighton was rumored as a possible A10 candidate, our AD and president went to every media outlet (TV, radio, newspaper) and denied that there was any jump forthcoming or that it had even been seriously considered.

With the new speculation about a potential move with the BE 7, the response is substantially different. There have been no TV or radio appearances by either the AD or president. Likewise, all official media inquiries are being forwarded by the AD's office directly to the President of the University. The President's only comments to date have been a rather provocative, "no comment."

I hope that is a positive sign.
DoubleJayAlum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 01:38 PM   #117 (permalink)
6th Man
 
Title_BU's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 335
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Rep Power: 7012
Title_BU has disabled reputation
Re: CONTEST: Predict the New 'BE12' Conference Teams

Butler President James Danko is from Villanova. Butler is going to the Big East when invited.

But, that statement was just stating the obvious, the University is going to do what suits its self interest.
Title_BU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 02:18 PM   #118 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
Photobucket
 
xu95's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Cincinnati
Age: 41
Posts: 3,596
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Rep Power: 332175
xu95 has a reputation beyond repute xu95 has a reputation beyond repute xu95 has a reputation beyond repute xu95 has a reputation beyond repute xu95 has a reputation beyond repute xu95 has a reputation beyond repute xu95 has a reputation beyond repute xu95 has a reputation beyond repute xu95 has a reputation beyond repute xu95 has a reputation beyond repute xu95 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: CONTEST: Predict the New 'BE12' Conference Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bona Wolf for Pope View Post
So it has nothing to do with being Catholic, but being Marianist (or not) IS a factor? I think you kind of contradict your point there (for the record, I don't think it's catholic, but private certainly helps).
Sorry, I was rambling. My not Catholic point was to the league not caring if you were catholic or not. My Marianists point was to why Marquette might not like Dayton.
xu95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 02:42 PM   #119 (permalink)
Banned Member
 

Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Westmont Illinois Cemetery
Age: 99
Posts: 5,541
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Rep Power: 0
Muddy Waters has a brilliant future Muddy Waters has a brilliant future Muddy Waters has a brilliant future Muddy Waters has a brilliant future Muddy Waters has a brilliant future Muddy Waters has a brilliant future Muddy Waters has a brilliant future Muddy Waters has a brilliant future Muddy Waters has a brilliant future Muddy Waters has a brilliant future Muddy Waters has a brilliant future
Re: CONTEST: Predict the New 'BE12' Conference Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by xu95 View Post

Sorry, I was rambling.
Apology accepted.

Try to do better next time.


Muddy Waters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 02:48 PM   #120 (permalink)
Benchwarmer
 

Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 154
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Rep Power: 1580
Palestra1 has disabled reputation
Re: CONTEST: Predict the New 'BE12' Conference Teams

This sucks for the A-10, but it's a smart move for the BE7 and the invitees. I can't see any way that Xavier and Butler aren't invited (and accept) for a variety of reasons. It's harder to read the tea leaves after that. From the A-10's perspective the best outcome is for Creighton to be team number ten and for the BE7 to stop at ten at least for now. My gut feeling is that they are only going to ten right now to maximize revenue per team. I don't think any of the teams likely to be added beyond ten is so valuable as to not cause the revenue per team to drop and I don't think they'll only go with nine teams even though that number might produce slightly higher revenue per team.

Beyond that, I think (unfortunately) that team ten is more likely to come from the A-10 than it is to be Creighton. The Blue Jays are a great program but my hunch is that they're going to be conservative in how the build the new conference and that would include keeping the conference footprint as compact as possible at the beginning. If they do start at ten members, I expect that they'll reassess after a few years and it wouldn't surprise me to see them go to twelve teams (or more) at that point. As much as they're trying to chart their own course and separate themselves from the current FBS chaos, they're still going to affected by changes in those leagues which is why I expect them to be conservative in their approach.

On a slightly related note, I expect UMass to end up in a "best of the rest" FBS conference at some point in time. I don't know when that's going to happen, but I do believe that their days in the A-10 are numbered. Regardless, the A-10 will soldier on and prodcue good teams. And, of couse, other than Xavier and Butler being locks for the new league, my prognositcations may be completely wrong.
Palestra1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:55 AM.



User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.0.8pl1 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 2002 2013 BasketballBoards.net.

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1