Proposed A10 Thread for "Realists" - Basketball Forum : Professional and College Basketball Forums
BasketballForum.com is the premier basketball Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
User Tag List

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-17-2012, 11:30 AM   #1 (permalink)
Player
 
Moliva's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Richmond
Posts: 840
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Proposed A10 Thread for "Realists"

OK, lets get real. I assume Xavier and Butler are as good as gone to the Big Priest. Saint Louis and/or Dayton are probably also gone. If one of them isn't invited, they'll probably go seek entry in the Missouri Valley. Umass will go get married to Uconn and their buddies. I also assume remaining A10 membership will not look to throw out any teams because that only really happens on message boards (and Temple Football).

Here was the conference I posted on the SpiderNation board. Take the Xavier Unit Money to lure in Davidson and George Mason. Davidson probably didn't go to the CAA because they saw this A10 Split coming.

(North)
Bona
Duquesne
Fordham
St Joes
Lasalle
Rhody
Siena

(South)
UR
VCU
GMU
GW
Davidson

The 7 north teams draw straws and one of them ends up in the South. Duquesne might be the best bet. Play your divisional opponents twice and each team from the other division once for a 16 game schedule.

I believe this conference could get 3 bids in a great year and 2 bids in most years.

Go back to our roots and play the conference tourney at The Palestra.

Thoughts?
Moliva is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 12-17-2012, 11:40 AM   #2 (permalink)
Player
 
Bona Wolf for Pope's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 862
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Re: Proposed A10 Thread for "Realists"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moliva View Post
OK, lets get real. I assume Xavier and Butler are as good as gone to the Big Priest. Saint Louis and/or Dayton are probably also gone. If one of them isn't invited, they'll probably go seek entry in the Missouri Valley. Umass will go get married to Uconn and their buddies. I also assume remaining A10 membership will not look to throw out any teams because that only really happens on message boards (and Temple Football).

Here was the conference I posted on the SpiderNation board. Take the Xavier Unit Money to lure in Davidson and George Mason. Davidson probably didn't go to the CAA because they saw this A10 Split coming.

(North)
Bona
Duquesne
Fordham
St Joes
Lasalle
Rhody
Siena

(South)
UR
VCU
GMU
GW
Davidson

The 7 north teams draw straws and one of them ends up in the South. Duquesne might be the best bet. Play your divisional opponents twice and each team from the other division once for a 16 game schedule.

I believe this conference could get 3 bids in a great year and 2 bids in most years.

Go back to our roots and play the conference tourney at The Palestra.

Thoughts?
This is why I'm not torn up about the split. I realize why schools are doing it, and I'm sure in a year or two it will make a lot more sense, but I could get behind this conference. We would trim off some of the travel (made even better if we could find another school to bridge to Davidson...I don't know anything about Belmont but they're down there. Edit: Strike this, I was thinking of Belmont Abbey). Or hey, maybe UR likes a northeast centered conference and is happy being the southernmost school.

UR
GW
VCU
GMU
St. Joe's
La Salle

Duquesne
Bonas
Fordham
Siena (can they raise their level?)
URI
Someone? No one if GMU isn't interested?

Not the best conference ever, but we'll still play basketball and probably get a deal similar to what the old A-10 got, once we divide it amongst fewer schools. Plus, I don't want to get into this "claw some other school's eyes out just to make the case for your own school" mindset. I don't know how VCU would feel about this conference as one of the only big publics, and since they were jumping to be with Xavier et. al.
__________________
"Careful reading comprehension is crucial to an online forum discussion."

Last edited by Bona Wolf for Pope; 12-17-2012 at 11:45 AM.
Bona Wolf for Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 11:45 AM   #3 (permalink)
Player
 
Moliva's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Richmond
Posts: 840
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Re: Proposed A10 Thread for "Realists"

I really want Davidson in the mix. Adding George Mason is also a priority because it would further wound the CAA and put them in more of a 'life support' mode and less of a potentially predatory mode.

We really must go out and add at least 1 of those teams for me to feel like we are on stable footing.
Moliva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 11:50 AM   #4 (permalink)
Player
 
Moliva's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Richmond
Posts: 840
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Re: Proposed A10 Thread for "Realists"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bona Wolf for Pope View Post
I don't know how VCU would feel about this conference as one of the only big publics, and since they were jumping to be with Xavier et. al.
This is why George Mason needs to be added.

I think i'm speaking for VCU in saying neither Richmond nor VCU considers going back to the CAA as an alternative. Richmond would be looking to go to the Big Priest or be a member of the reformed A10. There are no other alternatives.
Moliva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 11:54 AM   #5 (permalink)
Player
 
BrownIndians85's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 614
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Re: Proposed A10 Thread for "Realists"

I think VCU leaves one way or another if X, Butler are out the door. St. Louis is gone either due to BE7 or geographical issues. Dayton as well. We don't need to pursue George Mason or any other large public institution. I like Davidson except for locale - it's small and private. If UMass leaves I'd possibly pursue Siena but just as soon stick with 9 schools and wait for a better program to look for a home. (Atlantic) Ten teams, 18 game schedule true H/H. Not to invite ridiculous speculation, but I could also see everyone leaving to find new homes - I've listed those in parens.

UMass (MAC)
URI (America East)
Fordham (MAAC)
Saint Joseph's (Northeast/Patriot)
LaSalle (MAAC)
St. Bonaventure (Horizon)
Duquesne (Horizon)
George Washington (Colonial)
Richmond (Colonial)
Davidson (stays put)
__________________
http://www.gobonnies.com
BrownIndians85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 12:00 PM   #6 (permalink)
Star
 
Bill Russell's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 2,916
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 374 Post(s)
Re: Proposed A10 Thread for "Realists"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moliva View Post
I really want Davidson in the mix. Adding George Mason is also a priority because it would further wound the CAA and put them in more of a 'life support' mode and less of a potentially predatory mode.

We really must go out and add at least 1 of those teams for me to feel like we are on stable footing.
Right on. Davidson and George Mason have to be the first schools on Bernie's list. I'd love to see both schools land in a truly "Atlantic" 10. Sure, the league will lose pop when Xavier departs, but it has seen some very strong programs (Penn State, Pittsburgh, West Virginia, Villanova, Virginia Tech, Rutgers) leave in the past and, for the most part, found suitable replacements. I'd be careful about Siena. Their off-campus facility and fanbase are solid, but why can't they maintain strength within the MAAC? Still, they should receive serious consideration.
__________________
www.bonaalumni.com
Bill Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 12:29 PM   #7 (permalink)
Star
 

Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Westchester County, NY
Posts: 3,849
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Re: Proposed A10 Thread for "Realists"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Russell View Post
I'd be careful about Siena. Their off-campus facility and fanbase are solid, but why can't they maintain strength within the MAAC? Still, they should receive serious consideration.
Coaches. Siena's strong years were generally with coaches that eventually moved on to higher profile gigs. Don't know much about their current coach, but it has to be difficult to maintain strength in the MAAC, or any conference, when you are a stepping stone for coaches.
__________________
Bona84
Bona84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 12:37 PM   #8 (permalink)
Star
 
Bill Russell's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 2,916
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 374 Post(s)
Re: Proposed A10 Thread for "Realists"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bona84 View Post
Coaches. Siena's strong years were generally with coaches that eventually moved on to higher profile gigs. Don't know much about their current coach, but it has to be difficult to maintain strength in the MAAC, or any conference, when you are a stepping stone for coaches.
Yes, absolutely. However, it's odd to see the depths to which the program has fallen a few different times now. One would think, at that level, that the program would remain in the top half of the MAAC no matter who patrols the sidelines. Compare their situation to that of Saint Peter's, Canisius, Rider, or Marist and it's pretty amazing that they've fallen this far.
__________________
www.bonaalumni.com
Bill Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 12:40 PM   #9 (permalink)
Star
 
UMass87's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 3,872
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 455 Post(s)
Re: Proposed A10 Thread for "Realists"

I don't think UMass is likely to go to the MAC all sports. Unfortunately, I think UMass is going to the Big East with Temple. While I like being back with Temple, I don't think the future Big East is much of a conference.
UMass87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 12:54 PM   #10 (permalink)
Player
 
Bona Wolf for Pope's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 862
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Re: Proposed A10 Thread for "Realists"

I think we should add Drexel. We need more Philly in this league.
__________________
"Careful reading comprehension is crucial to an online forum discussion."
Bona Wolf for Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 01:11 PM   #11 (permalink)
Banned Member
 

Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 335
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Re: Proposed A10 Thread for "Realists"

I think all of this ends well for UMass.

I think it will end up something like...

Cincinnati
Connecticut
South Florida
Central Florida
Temple
Memphis
Tulane
UMass
East Carolina
Old Dominion
Navy
Buffalo
Title_BU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 01:15 PM   #12 (permalink)
Player
 
Moliva's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Richmond
Posts: 840
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Re: Proposed A10 Thread for "Realists"

This thread is about the future A10, not the garbage leftovers of the Big East. Who cares where Umass is going? We just know they're going. Where they go isn't salient to this thread.
Moliva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 01:42 PM   #13 (permalink)
Player
 
BrownIndians85's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 614
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Re: Proposed A10 Thread for "Realists"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Title_BU View Post
Buffalo
UB to the BigEAST? Hahahaha.. thanks for the laugh. I needed it. Unless maybe you meant the Bills.

Bill Russell and '84 - I don't like Siena exactly for the reasons you guys allude to in your posts. How has tht school not maintained a level of dominance in the MAAC? If they can't do that, then they certainly aren't A-10 fodder, not even a weakened A-10.

Drexel? Wolf I hope you are joking. They are in the Siena category. I had never read a forum previous to today where Davidson was mentioned, and I really like that idea. So let's take Moliva's assumption that UMass is gone - who auditions for the 10th spot and why should they get it?

GMU is thrown around. I just don't like adding a large public university. Would the College of Charleston warrant any merit?
__________________
http://www.gobonnies.com
BrownIndians85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 01:51 PM   #14 (permalink)
Player
 
Bona Wolf for Pope's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 862
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Re: Proposed A10 Thread for "Realists"

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownIndians85 View Post
UB to the BigEAST? Hahahaha.. thanks for the laugh. I needed it. Unless maybe you meant the Bills.

Bill Russell and '84 - I don't like Siena exactly for the reasons you guys allude to in your posts. How has tht school not maintained a level of dominance in the MAAC? If they can't do that, then they certainly aren't A-10 fodder, not even a weakened A-10.

Drexel? Wolf I hope you are joking. They are in the Siena category. I had never read a forum previous to today where Davidson was mentioned, and I really like that idea. So let's take Moliva's assumption that UMass is gone - who auditions for the 10th spot and why should they get it?

GMU is thrown around. I just don't like adding a large public university. Would the College of Charleston warrant any merit?
Yes, I was kidding. I didn't extend my post to include Bryn Mawr and Rosemont, but that could have made the sarcasm more evident (though Drexel will soon be playing the roster Mark Schmidt wanted).

I can see GMU to help keep VCU. Perhaps then we would balance with a public up north to go along with URI/replace UMass. I don't like Stony Brook (bogus SBU), but they apparently have money to spend.

Charleston just jumped to the CAA. Let's see how they do for a year or two.
__________________
"Careful reading comprehension is crucial to an online forum discussion."
Bona Wolf for Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 01:51 PM   #15 (permalink)
Rookie
 

Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 20
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Re: Proposed A10 Thread for "Realists"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Title_BU View Post
I think all of this ends well for UMass.

I think it will end up something like...

Cincinnati
Connecticut
South Florida
Central Florida
Temple
Memphis
Tulane
UMass
East Carolina
Old Dominion
Navy
Buffalo
Yeah, I don't know about Buffalo, sounds like a stretch. Does anyone think 6 or 7 A-10 schools will partner together and approach these guys as basketball partners? It would be the same junk deal that the BE7 walked away from, but it may be better than a watered down A10. There also wouldn't be any guarantee that it would last for more than a couple of years because UConn and Cinci would leave as soon as they are asked. But maybe they will never be asked. It really depends on whether Clemson and Fla State are invited into the SEC, and that may never happen. So, perhaps it is possible that GW, St. Joe's, Richmond, VCU and URI would consider it (along with UMass). Duq, Lasalle, the Bonnies and Fordham may opt for other conferences because they wouldn't want to step up to funding requirements.
Deleo77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:49 AM.



User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 2002 2013 BasketballBoards.net.

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1