Fordham to the Patriot League?????? - Page 6 - Basketball Forum : Professional and College Basketball Forums
BasketballForum.com is the premier basketball Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
User Tag List

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-27-2012, 03:08 PM   #76 (permalink)
Rookie
 

Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 57
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Re: Fordham to the Patriot League??????

What my basketball friends are forgetting is that the "Digger" year is now ancient history itself. No one believes that year is ever coming back. Attacking football may make the followers of our marque sport feel good, but it doesn't doesn't. Generate wins. The program is not relevant except to the 300 fans sitting behind the bench in bell bottom pants. It isn't 1970 anymore - forty years ago is starting to look like ancient history to 18 year old recruits.
ram ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 12-27-2012, 03:31 PM   #77 (permalink)
Benchwarmer
 

Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 106
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Re: Fordham to the Patriot League??????

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram ram View Post
What my basketball friends are forgetting is that the "Digger" year is now ancient history itself. No one believes that year is ever coming back. Attacking football may make the followers of our marque sport feel good, but it doesn't doesn't. Generate wins. The program is not relevant except to the 300 fans sitting behind the bench in bell bottom pants. It isn't 1970 anymore - forty years ago is starting to look like ancient history to 18 year old recruits.
This from the guy who just referenced Vince Lombardi. Who is arguing the Digger year? Basketball fans look forward not backward. Nice straw man argument attempt.

By the way we drew 2500 fans to the Siena game on December 23 which surprised me. Two teams with poor records two days before Christmas. Not bad for a program no one supposedly cares about. Your 300 number will be accurate of we move back to the PL, but you do not care which is the best part of this conversation. You could not care less about basketball winning or losing, you just want to cut the budget and put more money in the pit that is an FCS football program.
Rich93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 03:33 PM   #78 (permalink)
Rookie
 

Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Re: Fordham to the Patriot League??????

Quote:
Originally Posted by ace93 View Post
RickFC77, I think LastMinuteman understands the OP's proposal as he earlier asked a question regarding that.


Similarly he is now asking about the latest proposal/suggestion or whatever you want to call it posed by Rich93, the dropping of football.
I do not read Rich93 advocating dropping football. I think he clearly stated that if forced to choose one over the other he would choose basketball and that the dropping of football only makes sense if the money formerly spent on it was shifted over to basketball but he is not advocating dropping football. In fact he sees no reason why they cannot co-exist as they presently do in two different conferences.

The question I raised still stands: has any D1 basketball program improved itself by moving to a lesser conference?
__________________
RickFC77
RickFC77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 04:34 PM   #79 (permalink)
Benchwarmer
 

Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 106
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Re: Fordham to the Patriot League??????

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickFC77 View Post
I do not read Rich93 advocating dropping football. I think he clearly stated that if forced to choose one over the other he would choose basketball and that the dropping of football only makes sense if the money formerly spent on it was shifted over to basketball but he is not advocating dropping football. In fact he sees no reason why they cannot co-exist as they presently do in two different conferences.

The question I raised still stands: has any D1 basketball program improved itself by moving to a lesser conference?
Accurate assesment Rick with one caveat. My definition is choosing is that if there was serious talk of moving all sports back to the PL because we cannot compete in the A-10 because of a lack of financial commitment then I think the answer should be to drop football and keep all sports in the A-10 and use the funds to upgrade all hoops facilities.
Rich93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 07:49 PM   #80 (permalink)
Benchwarmer
 
BU_Hoops's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 175
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Re: Fordham to the Patriot League??????

As it may turn out, ram ram may get his wish to be in a less competitive conference once the BE7 take the top A10 schools and UMass leaves. The remaining group is not that much different than the CAA, MAAC or Patriot.......
BU_Hoops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 08:22 PM   #81 (permalink)
Star
 
Bill Russell's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 2,913
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 372 Post(s)
Re: Fordham to the Patriot League??????

Quote:
Originally Posted by BU_Hoops View Post
As it may turn out, ram ram may get his wish to be in a less competitive conference once the BE7 take the top A10 schools and UMass leaves. The remaining group is not that much different than the CAA, MAAC or Patriot.......
Dream on, brother.
__________________
www.bonaalumni.com
Bill Russell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 09:31 PM   #82 (permalink)
Veteran
 
ace93's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 2,067
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Re: Fordham to the Patriot League??????

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickFC77 View Post
I do not read Rich93 advocating dropping football. I think he clearly stated that if forced to choose one over the other he would choose basketball and that the dropping of football only makes sense if the money formerly spent on it was shifted over to basketball but he is not advocating dropping football. In fact he sees no reason why they cannot co-exist as they presently do in two different conferences.

The question I raised still stands: has any D1 basketball program improved itself by moving to a lesser conference?
All I am saying is that LastMinuteman asked what he did about dropping football b/c Rich93 brought the idea up, whether he was advocating for it or not is irrelevant.

I am also saying is that LastMinuteman already asked the question that you say still stands, he just happened to ask it a few pages ago.
ace93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 09:35 PM   #83 (permalink)
Veteran
 
ace93's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 2,067
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Re: Fordham to the Patriot League??????

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Russell View Post
Dream on, brother.
Agreed. Reminds me of the Loyola fans I spoke to after their announcement that they would be moving to the PL. They felt it was a big upgrade, while I think it is a lateral move for hoops at best. Top 2 in each conference might be about the same, but top to bottom the MAAC is better from my observation of the two conferences through the years.
ace93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 04:44 AM   #84 (permalink)
Rookie
 

Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 57
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Re: Fordham to the Patriot League??????

A10 fans - keep an eye on our conference record that will be all the reasoning behind the move to the PL. But the time has come to end this grade school back and forth.

I will make this my last post here, taking the discussion to a more (????) interested venue...

But first ...

Here is the inside scoop, from someone with close ties to the administration;

(1) there is absolutely no possibility that we would drop football to advance our participation in the A10. If a decision to drop football would happen (not likely) it would not be to assist basketball in the A10, they are mutually exclusive.

(2)No new basketball facility is being advocated for at least a decade or so, and that is by design. Our priorities lie elsewhere, and academics and infra-structure (non-athletic) is our focus.

(3)Internal opinions believe that we have given the A10 a chance, but are being outpaced by events and financial commitments that we can't meet. The consensus is that we will let it "die on the vine" in a few more years, as fans call for the end to the losing or be asked to leave sooner.

(4) Emotions and insulting our current football association aside, and objective look at the situation shows we are not unique in our aspirations, but unfortunately not every school is in a position to have them realized. Fordham by circumstance,is not able to participate at an elevated level - sorry to say.

The answer will be the patriot League or another like conference, because the losing has to stop, and winning does matter ...
ram ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 08:53 AM   #85 (permalink)
Benchwarmer
 

Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 106
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Re: Fordham to the Patriot League??????

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram ram View Post
A10 fans - keep an eye on our conference record that will be all the reasoning behind the move to the PL. But the time has come to end this grade school back and forth.

I will make this my last post here, taking the discussion to a more (????) interested venue...

But first ...

Here is the inside scoop, from someone with close ties to the administration;

(1) there is absolutely no possibility that we would drop football to advance our participation in the A10. If a decision to drop football would happen (not likely) it would not be to assist basketball in the A10, they are mutually exclusive.

(2)No new basketball facility is being advocated for at least a decade or so, and that is by design. Our priorities lie elsewhere, and academics and infra-structure (non-athletic) is our focus.

(3)Internal opinions believe that we have given the A10 a chance, but are being outpaced by events and financial commitments that we can't meet. The consensus is that we will let it "die on the vine" in a few more years, as fans call for the end to the losing or be asked to leave sooner.

(4) Emotions and insulting our current football association aside, and objective look at the situation shows we are not unique in our aspirations, but unfortunately not every school is in a position to have them realized. Fordham by circumstance,is not able to participate at an elevated level - sorry to say.

The answer will be the patriot League or another like conference, because the losing has to stop, and winning does matter ...
1. They are not mutually exclusive and the Fordham alumni will make the administration consider dropping football if the talk is serious (it is not now) about moving to the PL. Serious questions will be asked about where we are spending our money and what we will get for it.

2. The issue is not a new basketball facility, it is using MSG and the Barc. To do that we need to win games Pecora is well aware of this fact. Also, ask Moorhead what he thinks of our football facilities, if we do not improve them he will leave the second he has a better offer. I guess you think we will put aside our academic aspirations for FCS football but not basketball.

3. If by internal opinions you mean Jeff Gray well yes, he is one person who wants to move to the PL and he tried it over the summer but the BOT told him to pound sand. Our AD has repeatedly stated we are committed to the A-10. I always love the in a few years, that means we have at least 2 more years if not more. Anything can happen in a few years.

4. Fordham is in a position to compete at the A-10 level, it just has to make the commitment.

As for the conference record being the reason we may leave, well thanks for the heads up. Without you I would not have thought that our not winning conference games will hurt us.

Once again Ramram gets hammered by the Fordham faithful who want to push the administration to compete at the A-10 level and runs away. Where will he appear, I do not think the PL has a message board.
Rich93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 09:02 AM   #86 (permalink)
Rookie
 

Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 57
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Re: Fordham to the Patriot League??????

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich93 View Post
1. They are not mutually exclusive and the Fordham alumni will make the administration consider dropping football if the talk is serious (it is not now) about moving to the PL. Serious questions will be asked about where we are spending our money and what we will get for it.

2. The issue is not a new basketball facility, it is using MSG and the Barc. To do that we need to win games Pecora is well aware of this fact. Also, ask Moorhead what he thinks of our football facilities, if we do not improve them he will leave the second he has a better offer. I guess you think we will put aside our academic aspirations for FCS football but not basketball.

3. If by internal opinions you mean Jeff Gray well yes, he is one person who wants to move to the PL and he tried it over the summer but the BOT told him to pound sand. Our AD has repeatedly stated we are committed to the A-10. I always love the in a few years, that means we have at least 2 more years if not more. Anything can happen in a few years.

4. Fordham is in a position to compete at the A-10 level, it just has to make the commitment.

As for the conference record being the reason we may leave, well thanks for the heads up. Without you I would not have thought that our not winning conference games will hurt us.

Once again Ramram gets hammered by the Fordham faithful who want to push the administration to compete at the A-10 level and runs away. Where will he appear, I do not think the PL has a message board.
The only entity that is getting hammered is the Fordham Basketball program, night after night.
ram ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 09:03 AM   #87 (permalink)
Veteran
 
xudash's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 2,355
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Re: Fordham to the Patriot League??????

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram ram View Post
A10 fans - keep an eye on our conference record that will be all the reasoning behind the move to the PL. But the time has come to end this grade school back and forth.

I will make this my last post here, taking the discussion to a more (????) interested venue...

But first ...

Here is the inside scoop, from someone with close ties to the administration;

(1) there is absolutely no possibility that we would drop football to advance our participation in the A10. If a decision to drop football would happen (not likely) it would not be to assist basketball in the A10, they are mutually exclusive.

(2)No new basketball facility is being advocated for at least a decade or so, and that is by design. Our priorities lie elsewhere, and academics and infra-structure (non-athletic) is our focus.

(3)Internal opinions believe that we have given the A10 a chance, but are being outpaced by events and financial commitments that we can't meet. The consensus is that we will let it "die on the vine" in a few more years, as fans call for the end to the losing or be asked to leave sooner.

(4) Emotions and insulting our current football association aside, and objective look at the situation shows we are not unique in our aspirations, but unfortunately not every school is in a position to have them realized. Fordham by circumstance,is not able to participate at an elevated level - sorry to say.

The answer will be the patriot League or another like conference, because the losing has to stop, and winning does matter ...
I can't think of a better way to lose credibility and embarrass the institution. I can't think of a better way for making sure you're never taken seriously as a partner again.
xudash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 10:22 AM   #88 (permalink)
Benchwarmer
 

Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 106
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Re: Fordham to the Patriot League??????

Quote:
Originally Posted by xudash View Post
I can't think of a better way to lose credibility and embarrass the institution. I can't think of a better way for making sure you're never taken seriously as a partner again.
Fordham is not letting its program die on the vine. We pay our coach big bucks and have increased the basketball budget. Those are not the acts of an institution wanting a program to die, we may not be taking all the steps we need to but if the administration wanted the program to die it would not have extended the coach for big bucks and would have cut the budget. Ramram has no facts to back up his claims and he will now go to some other board with his tail between his legs.
Rich93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 12:20 PM   #89 (permalink)
Veteran
 
ace93's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 2,067
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Re: Fordham to the Patriot League??????

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram ram View Post
I will make this my last post here, taking the discussion to a more (????) interested venue...
Nothing personal, but that comment cracked me up.
ace93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 12:47 PM   #90 (permalink)
Star
 

Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Westchester County, NY
Posts: 3,838
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Re: Fordham to the Patriot League??????

Quote:
Originally Posted by ace93 View Post
Nothing personal, but that comment cracked me up.
Perhaps he's just off looking for that easy-to-check link to the pdf of Fordham's winning percentage.
__________________
Bona84
Bona84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:34 PM.



User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 2002 2013 BasketballBoards.net.

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1