WTF $500 Milly to C7? - Page 7 - Basketball Forum : Professional and College Basketball Forums
BasketballForum.com is the premier basketball Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
User Tag List

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2013, 10:09 AM   #91 (permalink)
Veteran
 

Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 1,389
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 346 Post(s)
Re: WTF $500 Milly to C7?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ace93 View Post
I'm surprised Richmond is not getting a more serious look. I know VCU has deeper recent success, but Richmond seems like a better fit with those schools. If there were one or two other public schools being discussed maybe I would feel otherwise, but being the only one makes it feel like fitting a square peg into a round hole.
Keep in mind that from 1979-1991 the Big East was all private schools... and UConn.
jpschmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 01-11-2013, 10:12 AM   #92 (permalink)
Veteran
 

Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 1,389
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 346 Post(s)
Re: WTF $500 Milly to C7?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudFlap View Post
XU, BU, VCU, Creighton, SLU - holy shit! One tough frickin' league! - 8 bids!
The math doesn't work for that. They'd top out at 6 bids most likely. The 8th place team in a 12-team league is probably only get 6-7 conference wins. They'd have to go 12-2 OOC, beat the #1 seed in the conference quarters to have a 20-win season.

Especially when you consider the C7 will probably schedule HARDER to offset losing Syracuse, Pitt, Louisville, Notre Dame, etc.
jpschmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 10:54 AM   #93 (permalink)
Star
 
paulxu's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 2,629
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 411 Post(s)
Re: WTF $500 Milly to C7?

Maybe UConn gives up football since there won't be any BE left and the ACC doesn't want them, and stays with Georgetown like the old days.

Interesting if VCU isn't interested at all in football, they could make a strong case to be the 6th eastern team. Richmond fits the profile better. Fun times.
__________________
...he went up late, and I was already up there.
paulxu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 11:48 AM   #94 (permalink)
Rookie
 

Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 45
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Re: WTF $500 Milly to C7?

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulxu View Post
Maybe UConn gives up football since there won't be any BE left and the ACC doesn't want them, and stays with Georgetown like the old days.

Interesting if VCU isn't interested at all in football, they could make a strong case to be the 6th eastern team. Richmond fits the profile better. Fun times.
I'd wager that there's no way in hell that UConn will give up football.
uri05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 12:03 PM   #95 (permalink)
Player
 
Eight Legger's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 706
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Re: WTF $500 Milly to C7?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Title_BU View Post
The answer to your question is "eye balls living in the northeast". Simply, the 5 are bringing the basketball, the 7 are bringing the eyeballs. Therefore.... $$$$$$$
I get that, but my point is: Why are the A-10 teams letting the C7 call the shots here? There is no $750M contract if the C7 adds Creighton and calls it a day. All that $$ is dependent upon our best teams joining them. Our teams are in the driver's seat, and I wish they would call the bluff of these C7 schools. You want to start your own conference? Fine. Good luck convincing Fox that St. John's vs. Depaul is going to pull a 9 share rating. It ain't gonna happen.

We should invite them all to our league one final time and if they decide it's beneath them, fine. But their product becomes much less salable.
Eight Legger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 12:24 PM   #96 (permalink)
Player
 
e-parade's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2012
Location: Boston
Posts: 675
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Re: WTF $500 Milly to C7?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eight Legger View Post
I get that, but my point is: Why are the A-10 teams letting the C7 call the shots here? There is no $750M contract if the C7 adds Creighton and calls it a day. All that $$ is dependent upon our best teams joining them. Our teams are in the driver's seat, and I wish they would call the bluff of these C7 schools. You want to start your own conference? Fine. Good luck convincing Fox that St. John's vs. Depaul is going to pull a 9 share rating. It ain't gonna happen.

We should invite them all to our league one final time and if they decide it's beneath them, fine. But their product becomes much less salable.
A10 + C7 < C7 + Select A10 Teams

That simple comparison is all it takes. A conference that pits the eyeballs from those teams only against teams that are good will generate more casual watchers than one with all those eyeballs but not necessarily against the best competition.

Depaul vs. Xavier will get more casual fans of Depaul watching than Depaul vs. Fordham. The networks understand this, the C7 understand this, the A10 understands this.
e-parade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 01:03 PM   #97 (permalink)
Player
 
Medford's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 840
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Re: WTF $500 Milly to C7?

The A-10 gets to call the shots when the A-10 gets equal or better TV money than the C-7 + 3-5+ select schools.

If given the option b/w 400k or 3mil+, well its really not much of an option.
Medford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 02:41 PM   #98 (permalink)
6th Man
 
ramMan's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 261
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Re: WTF $500 Milly to C7?

Quote:
Originally Posted by uri05 View Post

I'd wager that there's no way in hell that UConn will give up football.
Agreed.
Interesting development... According to sportswriter Mark Blaudschun, UConn is "pursuing a plan to keep the Huskies with the Catholic-7." (see below)


According to sources at Connecticut, UConn officials were pursuing a plan which would keep the Huskies with the Catholic 7 . . . as well as Cincinnati.

In order to do that, however, UConn officials must find a place for football. And while nothing officially has been offered, a plan in which the Huskies and Cincinnati would join the Mountain West was being considered . . .

If the MWC deal does not materialize, UConn officials are ready to shop the football program to the best conference that will take the Huskies.


http://ajerseyguy.com/?p=4719
ramMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 02:51 PM   #99 (permalink)
Banned Member
 

Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 335
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Re: WTF $500 Milly to C7?

UConn nor Cincinnati nor any other football team would be willing to accept the exit fee that would be required of them.

BTW, the ACC has a 50 million dollar exit fee.
Title_BU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 02:52 PM   #100 (permalink)
Star
 
paulxu's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 2,629
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 411 Post(s)
Re: WTF $500 Milly to C7?

UConn and UC in the Mountain West. Makes sense.
__________________
...he went up late, and I was already up there.
paulxu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 02:52 PM   #101 (permalink)
Moderator
Photobucket
 
FlyingElvis's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Memphis - Dayton - Vegas
Posts: 2,646
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Re: WTF $500 Milly to C7?

I think UD is in. Call it a hunch. When the corn on my little toe hurts, UD normally changes conferences.

Last edited by FlyingElvis; 01-11-2013 at 03:15 PM.
FlyingElvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 03:38 PM   #102 (permalink)
Player
 
Eight Legger's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 706
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Re: WTF $500 Milly to C7?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medford View Post
The A-10 gets to call the shots when the A-10 gets equal or better TV money than the C-7 + 3-5+ select schools.

If given the option b/w 400k or 3mil+, well its really not much of an option.
And I guess my point is that if in order to get that huge TV deal, the C7 needs to get most of its best teams from other leagues, then it really doesn't have a lot to offer. Why don't those teams just go form their own league first and invite G-town and Marquette? Why follow when you can lead?

It's not far off from me saying 'Hey, I'm starting a new league tomorrow. It will include Duke, UNC, Kentucky, Kansas, Texas, Michigan and Syracuse. ESPN is willing to pay us $1 billion a year for the TV rights. All I need to do now is convince Duke, UNC, Kentucky, Kansas, Texas, Michigan and Syracuse to come to my league.'

More power to the C7 if it can actually get a $500M TV deal with ONLY the 7 teams it currently has. But there is no way in hell I believe that is the case.
Eight Legger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 06:37 PM   #103 (permalink)
Star
 
MudFlap's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Victory Parkway Xavier University
Posts: 3,912
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Re: WTF $500 Milly to C7?

My guess is more Schools will now be circling for the cash grab. Think you'll see some crazy stuff thrown out there on the rumor mill.
MudFlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 07:44 PM   #104 (permalink)
All-Star
 
AdamtheFlyer's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 5,194
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Re: WTF $500 Milly to C7?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramMan View Post
Agreed.
Interesting development... According to sportswriter Mark Blaudschun, UConn is "pursuing a plan to keep the Huskies with the Catholic-7." (see below)


According to sources at Connecticut, UConn officials were pursuing a plan which would keep the Huskies with the Catholic 7 . . . as well as Cincinnati.

In order to do that, however, UConn officials must find a place for football. And while nothing officially has been offered, a plan in which the Huskies and Cincinnati would join the Mountain West was being considered . . .

If the MWC deal does not materialize, UConn officials are ready to shop the football program to the best conference that will take the Huskies.


http://ajerseyguy.com/?p=4719
Strikes me as someone leaking info in a bizarre attempt at a leverage play with the ACC or Big 12.

I would be more shocked if this happened than I would if the C7 took Fordham.
__________________
Sure, I've been called a xenophobe, but the truth is, I'm not. I honestly just feel that America is the best country and the other countries aren't as good. That used to be called patriotism.
AdamtheFlyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 09:30 PM   #105 (permalink)
Rookie
 

Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: TX
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Question Re: WTF $500 Milly to C7?

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulxu View Post
Maybe UConn gives up football since there won't be any BE left and the ACC doesn't want them, and stays with Georgetown like the old days.

Interesting if VCU isn't interested at all in football, they could make a strong case to be the 6th eastern team. Richmond fits the profile better. Fun times.
Football is not in VCU's future. We came to the A10 to be in a basketball-centric conference and play tougher competition. IMHO, our AD went to Minnesota to get back into football.

I'm obviously the new guy, so what are the chances Butler and/or Dayton would want to leave the Pioneer League and try to move up to FBS?
Big_Daddy_Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:23 PM.



User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 2002 2013 BasketballBoards.net.

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1