Game Thread: VCU @ Charlotte (Saturday 2/9/13) - Basketball Forum : Professional and College Basketball Forums
BasketballForum.com is the premier basketball Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
User Tag List

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2013, 06:32 AM   #1 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
Photobucket
 
xu95's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Cincinnati
Age: 41
Posts: 3,596
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Game Thread: VCU @ Charlotte (Saturday 2/9/13)

VCU

vs

Charlotte

Records: VCU (18-5, 6-2 A 10) / Charlotte (17-5, 5-3 A 10)
Game time: 7PM EST
TV: None
Radio: VCU 107.3 FM / Charlotte ESPN 730 AM & WLON 1050 AM
Websites: VCU / Charlotte
xu95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 02-08-2013, 07:11 AM   #2 (permalink)
Player
 

Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 750
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Re: Game Thread: VCU @ Charlotte (Saturday 2/9/13)

Looking for a tough road test in what seems to be one of the better home court advantages in the entire league. The prettier the game is the better off VCU will be. If this thing turns into a street brawl rockfight it's gonna be a long night for the Rams. On that note 73-65 Rams.
vcurams05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 08:56 AM   #3 (permalink)
Moderator
Photobucket
 
BigE's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Richmond, VA
Posts: 5,733
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Re: Game Thread: VCU @ Charlotte (Saturday 2/9/13)

Ram Nation taking 2-1/2 buses (as of yesterday) + cars to the game
BigE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 09:54 AM   #4 (permalink)
Star
 
paulxu's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 2,636
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 415 Post(s)
Re: Game Thread: VCU @ Charlotte (Saturday 2/9/13)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcurams05 View Post
The prettier the game is the better off VCU will be. If this thing turns into a street brawl rockfight it's gonna be a long night for the Rams.
That does not sound like a ringing endorsement for Havoc.
__________________
...he went up late, and I was already up there.
paulxu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 10:08 AM   #5 (permalink)
Player
 

Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 750
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Re: Game Thread: VCU @ Charlotte (Saturday 2/9/13)

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulxu View Post
That does not sound like a ringing endorsement for Havoc.
By pretty I mean a nice tempo. If Charlotte turns this thing into a full on halfcourt mauling with both teams shooting 27% we are in trouble. We would rather get up and down the court, force some turnovers and get some bunnies on the offensive end.
vcurams05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 10:30 AM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran
 

Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,478
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Re: Game Thread: VCU @ Charlotte (Saturday 2/9/13)

I think VCU will get some turnovers, even at home Charlotte is usually pretty generous in giving the other team the ball whether forced or not. This may be a game where the loss of sg/sf Mayfield really hurts, as he was the most confident against pressure (dribbling and passing).

But I don't expect a pretty game, the Niners have managed to turn most of their games, particularly home games, into really ugly affairs.

The Niners homecourt advantage this season has been surprisingly good. They've gotten favorable calls at home in the past, but not quite to this degree to where I'd say the Niners get similar advantages to some of the teams with bigger arenas. With the new style of play, that makes the Niners pretty tough at home. That said, if VCU is hitting their 3's, and they seem to take a lot of them, then it could still be a long night for Charlotte.

If Charlotte wants to stay up near the top of the standings and compete for some kind of postseason (including NIT), they'll need to steal a game against a top team.
antboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 11:51 AM   #7 (permalink)
Benchwarmer
 

Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 108
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Re: Game Thread: VCU @ Charlotte (Saturday 2/9/13)

Quote:
Originally Posted by antboy View Post
I think VCU will get some turnovers, even at home Charlotte is usually pretty generous in giving the other team the ball whether forced or not. This may be a game where the loss of sg/sf Mayfield really hurts, as he was the most confident against pressure (dribbling and passing).

But I don't expect a pretty game, the Niners have managed to turn most of their games, particularly home games, into really ugly affairs.

The Niners homecourt advantage this season has been surprisingly good. They've gotten favorable calls at home in the past, but not quite to this degree to where I'd say the Niners get similar advantages to some of the teams with bigger arenas. With the new style of play, that makes the Niners pretty tough at home. That said, if VCU is hitting their 3's, and they seem to take a lot of them, then it could still be a long night for Charlotte.

If Charlotte wants to stay up near the top of the standings and compete for some kind of postseason (including NIT), they'll need to steal a game against a top team.

IMHO, it comes down to 3's. If VCU hits them, it will be a long night for Charlotte. If someone's cold...watch out.
cakewalk5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 12:01 PM   #8 (permalink)
Star
 
UMass87's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 3,714
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Re: Game Thread: VCU @ Charlotte (Saturday 2/9/13)

VCU will not get away with the physicality of their play in Charlotte. Expect a lot of free throws in this game.
UMass87 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 12:35 PM   #9 (permalink)
Player
 
moss2k's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Winston-Salem
Posts: 589
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Re: Game Thread: VCU @ Charlotte (Saturday 2/9/13)

Key to the game for Charlotte, value the ball. If they can't do that, it won't be pretty.
__________________
Charlotte 49ers message board
moss2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 12:51 PM   #10 (permalink)
Rookie
 

Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 66
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Re: Game Thread: VCU @ Charlotte (Saturday 2/9/13)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigE View Post
Ram Nation taking 2-1/2 buses (as of yesterday) + cars to the game

Congrats, shouldn't be hard for the students to drown that out.



The only thing I will predict is a very physical game.
afinerniner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 01:20 PM   #11 (permalink)
Player
 
rworkman09's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 821
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Re: Game Thread: VCU @ Charlotte (Saturday 2/9/13)

The only reason I give Charlotte a chance in this game is because we are playing at home. We literally give games away in the form of turnovers. We make turnovers, dig ourselves into a hole, and our bad offense simply can't make up for it. The Temple game has been the only exception this year that we've gotten down big and climbed back into it, but we still managed to quite literally give the game away in the closing minutes.

The game should be fun though. I know the student allotment of tickets was gone in less than 2 days and that is 4500 tickets. I fully expect the game to be sold out on paper and at least 90% full.
rworkman09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 01:39 PM   #12 (permalink)
Star
 
ktabz16's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 2,825
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Re: Game Thread: VCU @ Charlotte (Saturday 2/9/13)

if vcu gets the same refs as the umass game then the starting five for vcu will foul out in the first half.
__________________
we don't suck
ktabz16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 03:40 PM   #13 (permalink)
Veteran
 
vaNtR's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 1,009
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Re: Game Thread: VCU @ Charlotte (Saturday 2/9/13)

I don't understand Chris Braswell. The kid could be an NBA All-Star if he got his head together. He's the best player in the league talent wise. It's unreal.
vaNtR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 03:50 PM   #14 (permalink)
Benchwarmer
 

Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 108
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Re: Game Thread: VCU @ Charlotte (Saturday 2/9/13)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaNtR View Post
I don't understand Chris Braswell. The kid could be an NBA All-Star if he got his head together. He's the best player in the league talent wise. It's unreal.
Limited athleticism holds him back. And his help defense is a little suspect. But he has good offensive moves when given room. To me, perfect for a European league, but I can't see him in the USA playing.

As for VCU fouling out. If VCU fouls out, Charlotte fouls out (as the team likes the play rough). Could be more rugby scrum than basketball game.

Someone steal the referee whistles before the game.
cakewalk5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 03:53 PM   #15 (permalink)
Veteran
 
vaNtR's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 1,009
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Re: Game Thread: VCU @ Charlotte (Saturday 2/9/13)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cakewalk5 View Post
Limited athleticism holds him back. And his help defense is a little suspect. But he has good offensive moves when given room. To me, perfect for a European league, but I can't see him in the USA playing.

As for VCU fouling out. If VCU fouls out, Charlotte fouls out (as the team likes the play rough). Could be more rugby scrum than basketball game.

Someone steal the referee whistles before the game.
Listen, I watch Spencer Hawes play in the NBA regularly, and let me tell you, Braswell's defense can't be much worse. He may not be the best athlete on the floor, but I think he's going to get serious looks from the NBA.
vaNtR is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:04 PM.



User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 2002 2013 BasketballBoards.net.

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1