2016-17 George Mason Patriots - Page 7 - Basketball Forum : Professional and College Basketball Forums
BasketballForum.com is the premier basketball Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
User Tag List

Like Tree153Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2013, 10:34 PM   #91 (permalink)
Star
 
Free Quebec's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 3,843
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 510 Post(s)
re: 2016-17 George Mason Patriots

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLUDrew View Post
Is this league writing off SLU and Dayton? It sure seems like it. We lose the top three programs in the league, two of which were in the Midwest and had rivalries with SLU, and adds GMU?? Maybe other additions will happen, but the message the league is sending is that it is indifferent to Dayton and SLU leaving.
I acknowledge there is zero the A-10 can do if the Big East comes calling for SLU and UD. There are no additions to this league that can change that. However if they don't try and add another school in the Midwest SLU may leave for a lesser league than the Big East. Maybe that is the outcome the A-10 desires.
Do you expect the league to be loyal to SLU when SLU is clearly chomping at the bit for an invite to C7?

In all seriousness, I know nothing is done until its done, but don't you think the a10 presidents are just trying to plan for when (not if) SLU leaves?
Free Quebec is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 03-24-2013, 10:38 PM   #92 (permalink)
Veteran
 
mateer's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: The Big Easy
Posts: 1,317
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
re: 2016-17 George Mason Patriots

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLUDrew View Post
Is this league writing off SLU and Dayton? It sure seems like it. We lose the top three programs in the league, two of which were in the Midwest and had rivalries with SLU, and adds GMU?? Maybe other additions will happen, but the message the league is sending is that it is indifferent to Dayton and SLU leaving.
I acknowledge there is zero the A-10 can do if the Big East comes calling for SLU and UD. There are no additions to this league that can change that. However if they don't try and add another school in the Midwest SLU may leave for a lesser league than the Big East. Maybe that is the outcome the A-10 desires.
Wichita State, Bradley, Detroit whoever. I'm all for going west, unless we know SLU AND Dayton are gone.
__________________
mateer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 10:59 PM   #93 (permalink)
Rookie
 

Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 60
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
re: 2016-17 George Mason Patriots

Quote:
Originally Posted by Free Quebec View Post
Do you expect the league to be loyal to SLU when SLU is clearly chomping at the bit for an invite to C7?

In all seriousness, I know nothing is done until its done, but don't you think the a10 presidents are just trying to plan for when (not if) SLU leaves?
There is not a program in the A-10 that would not jump to the Big East if offered, so in that sense all the programs are chomping at the bit to get an invite to the new league
SLUDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 11:22 PM   #94 (permalink)
Player
 
LastMinuteman's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 605
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
re: 2016-17 George Mason Patriots

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjjacks17 View Post
Can we add Florida Gulf Coast?
They have to make it to a Final Four. That's been the requirement for the last four A10 expansion teams. Not sure how those slackers Saint Louis snuck in. (kidding)


Quote:
Originally Posted by SLUDrew View Post
Is this league writing off SLU and Dayton? It sure seems like it. We lose the top three programs in the league, two of which were in the Midwest and had rivalries with SLU, and adds GMU?? Maybe other additions will happen, but the message the league is sending is that it is indifferent to Dayton and SLU leaving.
If the A10 adds western teams for SLU and Dayton's benefit, and SLU and Dayton leave, then we'll have to find more western teams to prop up the western teams we just added. It doesn't make any sense. Not when it's strongly rumored that we're only a year away from this announcement by SLU and UD.

What would make the most sense is to simply not add anybody for a year and see how this plays out. Who knows, maybe Towson is going to improve another 150 spots in the RPI rankings like they did this year, in that brand new arena of theirs. Maybe Stony Brook makes a leap onto the bubble from #80 in their renovated arena. Or maybe the Big Priest actually does decide to stop at 10, and we actually do need more western teams to help out SLU and UD.

In any case, WTF is the big hurry to add the #162 ranked team, and possibly the #295 team if rumors are to be believed? I hate to keep peeing on GMU's welcome mat, because honestly if we absolutely had to add a team right now, they're the ones I'd pick too, but we just plain don't need to add a team right now. We're doing the equivalent of trading away next year's draft picks to get picks in this year's weak draft. Only we know we're not going to cut any players if we make a mistake (see Fordham). Once the Big East makes its final two picks, the only flight risk left in this conference is going to be UMass, so these last remaining spots on the A10 roster are precious. Once they're filled, if a new power emerges in the mid-major ranks, there isn't going to be room to add them, because we're not likely to get raided again.
LastMinuteman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 11:23 PM   #95 (permalink)
Benchwarmer
 
letsgogdub's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 169
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
re: 2016-17 George Mason Patriots

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLUDrew View Post
Is this league writing off SLU and Dayton? It sure seems like it. We lose the top three programs in the league, two of which were in the Midwest and had rivalries with SLU, and adds GMU?? Maybe other additions will happen, but the message the league is sending is that it is indifferent to Dayton and SLU leaving.
I acknowledge there is zero the A-10 can do if the Big East comes calling for SLU and UD. There are no additions to this league that can change that. However if they don't try and add another school in the Midwest SLU may leave for a lesser league than the Big East. Maybe that is the outcome the A-10 desires.
I don't think we are "writing them off." I'm just not sure what else we can do given the current situation. Blame Xavier. (Joking. Sort of.)
letsgogdub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 11:27 PM   #96 (permalink)
Benchwarmer
 
letsgogdub's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 169
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
re: 2016-17 George Mason Patriots

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastMinuteman View Post
If the A10 adds western teams for SLU and Dayton's benefit, and SLU and Dayton leave, then we'll have to find more western teams to prop up the western teams we just added. It doesn't make any sense. Not when it's strongly rumored that we're only a year away from this announcement by SLU and UD.
This.
letsgogdub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 11:37 PM   #97 (permalink)
Star
 
ace93's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 2,711
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 549 Post(s)
re: 2016-17 George Mason Patriots

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastMinuteman View Post
In any case, WTF is the big hurry to add the #162 ranked team, and possibly the #295 team if rumors are to be believed? I hate to keep peeing on GMU's welcome mat, because honestly if we absolutely had to add a team right now, they're the ones I'd pick too, but we just plain don't need to add a team right now. We're doing the equivalent of trading away next year's draft picks to get picks in this year's weak draft. Only we know we're not going to cut any players if we make a mistake (see Fordham). Once the Big East makes its final two picks, the only flight risk left in this conference is going to be UMass, so these last remaining spots on the A10 roster are precious. Once they're filled, if a new power emerges in the mid-major ranks, there isn't going to be room to add them, because we're not likely to get raided again.
Would this conference still be a lure to any possible additions if SLU and UD/UR were gone? I do not really know, but I could see there being some hesitation by some if that happened. It would definitely give the conference the look of one that seems very unstable.
ace93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 11:56 PM   #98 (permalink)
Star
 

Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 2,507
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 845 Post(s)
re: 2016-17 George Mason Patriots

This is a PR move.

From a "future" standpoint, the fact that Larranaga has Miami in the Top 10 indicates to me that GMU's success was based on HIM more so than the program.

But there's a very simple principle at stake here: "The line is below us." There's major conferences, there's one-bid leagues, and we're a hell of a lot closer to the majors than everyone else.


At a time when our creditibility going forward is going to come into question, adding George Mason sends the message of "You make a Final Four, and that makes you good enough for the A-10."
jpschmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 12:50 AM   #99 (permalink)
Benchwarmer
 
Always La Salle's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Ohio
Posts: 108
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
re: 2016-17 George Mason Patriots

What the hell does Sienna offer other than playing at a large municipal arena in the boondocks. Albany?
__________________
I give superficial a bad name
Always La Salle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 06:34 AM   #100 (permalink)
Player
 

Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 908
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
re: 2016-17 George Mason Patriots

Quote:
Originally Posted by Always La Salle View Post
What the hell does Sienna offer other than playing at a large municipal arena in the boondocks. Albany?
Davidson is a better program in a better market with a storied history and a lot of recent success. They were two points away from the final four in 2008.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Davidso...27s_basketball
Dunga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 06:35 AM   #101 (permalink)
All-Star
 
mainejeff's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Maine
Posts: 8,489
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 418 Post(s)
re: 2016-17 George Mason Patriots

Everyone seems to be complaining but offering no answers. Let me say this again........the pool of quality schools (hoops programs) is shrinking FAST. The A-10 is ensuring that it makes a play for ANY remaining school in the East that has quality and/or upside in hoops. The A-10 name and revenue stream is greater than the sum of its future parts if St. Louis and Dayton leave.........they are striking while the iron is hot.
mainejeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 06:48 AM   #102 (permalink)
WLK
Benchwarmer
 

Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Rochester NY
Posts: 146
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
re: 2016-17 George Mason Patriots

Albany really isn't the boondocks. 130 miles from New York City. I know they aren't quite up to the standards of the Dominion state, but Albany is the capital of NY. Another northeast presence wouldn't be a bad thing.
WLK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 07:13 AM   #103 (permalink)
Player
 

Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 727
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
re: 2016-17 George Mason Patriots

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bona03 View Post
Mason is a good choice, cant complain about it

Is Davidson purely speculation or have you heard rumors?
Siena is the next one
A10BBall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 07:18 AM   #104 (permalink)
Player
 

Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 727
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
re: 2016-17 George Mason Patriots

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Shaqtus View Post
What schools would have gotten to vote is my question.
Siena, GMU... Iona... Davidson and COC have all gotten the vote...
A10BBall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 07:26 AM   #105 (permalink)
Player
 

Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 727
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
re: 2016-17 George Mason Patriots

To the people complaining about the schools the A-10 is asking.. You need to realize there are not any schools out there... That are like VCU and Butler..

The A-10 Presidents have a huge matrix of data that it used to rate schools. They believe Siena and GMU are buy lows and that they have the infrastructure and resources to be good programs. They have the money, arena, fan bases to turn the ship pretty quickly. Now they get a boost of the A-10.
A10BBall is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 3 (0 members and 3 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:18 AM.



User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 2002 2013 BasketballBoards.net.
 

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1