A-10 Hot Seat Index: The Burnin' Bernies - Page 6 - Basketball Forum : Professional and College Basketball Forums
BasketballForum.com is the premier basketball Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
User Tag List

Like Tree100Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-07-2014, 08:19 PM   #76 (permalink)
All-Star
 
Flyer75's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 6,385
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 959 Post(s)
Re: A-10 Hot Seat Index: The Burnin' Bernies

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpicFailGuy View Post
I think a lot of guys helped their stock with the record year in the A-10.

To me, Jim Crews is an interesting case. The inheritance is gone, and it's his team now across the board. As much as I don't admit it, he's probably as safe as his predecessor was at this point.
Crews could go 3-15 this year and he would be safe for another...he bought himself some time with back to back NCAA appearances.
Flyer75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 08-07-2014, 09:12 PM   #77 (permalink)
Moderator
Photobucket
 
BigE's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Richmond, VA
Posts: 6,121
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Wink Re: A-10 Hot Seat Index: The Burnin' Bernies

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjhawk13 View Post
Every coach's seat should be warm.

Can't let them get too comfortable.
agree to disagree
BigE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 06:32 AM   #78 (permalink)
Veteran
 
Medford's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 1,148
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Re: A-10 Hot Seat Index: The Burnin' Bernies

^^^
Agree with BigE, I think coaches, just like most people appreciate feeling wanted and "comfortable" in their job. It certainly seems that Archie greatly appreciated that UD was talking extension with him even when things were looking bleak in January and had his deal all but announced well before the Elite 8 run (or even NCAA bid was awarded). I think that is why his name never gained serious traction on any coaching searches last offseason, I think he quickly nipped any inquires from other schools quickly because he appreciated that UD clearly made it know that he was their guy, even when a sizeable portion of their fan base was questioning him.

I doubt Archie (or Shaka, or most any coach) is going to work any less hard knowing that there is 0% chance he gets fired after this season for any on the court performance issues the team may have. Coaches that often feel like their constantly on the hot seat are the coaches you see make seemingly strange career moves, ie Buzz Williams. Buzz can spin it anyway he wants on why he left for VTech (for less money even) but I have little doubt that the biggest factor is the one he won't talk about; that he never felt like had the full support of the new administration.
Medford is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Old 08-08-2014, 06:12 PM   #79 (permalink)
Veteran
 

Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Dayton
Age: 54
Posts: 1,406
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Re: A-10 Hot Seat Index: The Burnin' Bernies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medford View Post
^^^
Agree with BigE, I think coaches, just like most people appreciate feeling wanted and "comfortable" in their job. It certainly seems that Archie greatly appreciated that UD was talking extension with him even when things were looking bleak in January and had his deal all but announced well before the Elite 8 run (or even NCAA bid was awarded). I think that is why his name never gained serious traction on any coaching searches last offseason, I think he quickly nipped any inquires from other schools quickly because he appreciated that UD clearly made it know that he was their guy, even when a sizeable portion of their fan base was questioning him.

I doubt Archie (or Shaka, or most any coach) is going to work any less hard knowing that there is 0% chance he gets fired after this season for any on the court performance issues the team may have. Coaches that often feel like their constantly on the hot seat are the coaches you see make seemingly strange career moves, ie Buzz Williams. Buzz can spin it anyway he wants on why he left for VTech (for less money even) but I have little doubt that the biggest factor is the one he won't talk about; that he never felt like had the full support of the new administration.
It is my understanding that UD started talking about an extension after Maui and delayed announcing the extension because Archie didn't want the distraction of extending a coach's contract after a 1 and 5 start in conference. Archie saved the administration from a shit storm by turning things around. Furthermore, UD added more money to both Archie and his assistants after the E8 run. I've heard that Archie is well above what Gregory topped out which was around $1 million.

Shaka is in line for an elite job in my opinion. Why would he want to go to Marquette when he can compete nationally on and off the court at VCU? If a UNC, Louisville, Kentucky, Indiana etc was calling its a different story. I only heard that mid level BCS schools even mentioned Archie.
JAF_1962 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 08:12 PM   #80 (permalink)
All-Star
 

Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: North Shore, Massachusetts
Posts: 6,529
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2825 Post(s)
Re: A-10 Hot Seat Index: The Burnin' Bernies

If Miller is getting that much then Phil has to have gotten a raise due to his supposed escalator clause.

See, Phil, you didn't even have to win last year. Archie got you your bump.
sjhawk13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 09:27 AM   #81 (permalink)
Star
 
A10La Salle55's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 2,781
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1118 Post(s)
Re: A-10 Hot Seat Index: The Burnin' Bernies

I don't know if that necessarily true if Shaka would leave. Didn't he get offered by UCLA a few years ago? Thats a huge program with a lot of history on the same level as those programs and he still didn't leave. He going to be very particular to where he goes. In a few years I think he will go but not yet. Marquette was not going to be able to get him even with more money involved. I don't think he had an interest coaching in the NBE.

I think Shaka has a very special thing with VCU. He obviously had success but when you think VCU you think Shaka. He has built what not many coaches have with their programs, a brand name and I think he really values that. I don't think he ready to leave just yet. He probably wants an A10 title first if anything and I enjoyed him taking pot shots right back at programs that have attacked the A10. The A10/Big East challenge is an awesome idea of his and I think the problem is that a few coaches in the Big East are really against it. A few being Thompson(who I HATE), Mack, and Miller. They have no interest in the thought of playing in their mind "a mid major league." I would doubt Wright, Williard and Purnell are against it. I don't even think their fan base be against it either.

Also, in terms of Buzz. I am not necessarily sure if Buzz seat was all that warm. I think the program was going in a different direction with how the conferences split and he reacted to it. ACC will always be good at basketball with the programs involved in that conference and we don't really know what is going to happen in the Big East without those other programs and football even though I think it will be perfectly fine. He saw an opportunity in what he probably thought had a better future in basketball and a future to build a program in the ACC. I probably would have done the same thing even if it was less money and I had any talent in coaching. He was shaken up with how the Big East performed this year and the direction they were going so he bolted. Also, I think he thought he reached his ceiling at Marquette and probably wasn't going to achieve much more. I would bet he is able to do a nice job with VT. It obviously not a great program but it isn't in the condition of programs such as Rutgers, TCU and Northwestern either. It's been competitive but just hasn't broke through. I bet in a few years he gets the program back into the tournament. My guess also be is this year VT doesn't come in last place in the ACC.
A10La Salle55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 10:13 AM   #82 (permalink)
#RiseoftheBillikens2.0
Photobucket
 
EpicFailGuy's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: St. Louis Metro
Posts: 17,684
Mentioned: 461 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1720 Post(s)
Re: A-10 Hot Seat Index: The Burnin' Bernies

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAF_1962 View Post
It is my understanding that UD started talking about an extension after Maui and delayed announcing the extension because Archie didn't want the distraction of extending a coach's contract after a 1 and 5 start in conference. Archie saved the administration from a shit storm by turning things around. Furthermore, UD added more money to both Archie and his assistants after the E8 run. I've heard that Archie is well above what Gregory topped out which was around $1 million.

Shaka is in line for an elite job in my opinion. Why would he want to go to Marquette when he can compete nationally on and off the court at VCU? If a UNC, Louisville, Kentucky, Indiana etc was calling its a different story. I only heard that mid level BCS schools even mentioned Archie.
Shaka Smart has an elite job right now. I don't think a college job will be enough in most cases. North Carolina is a falling star, and so is Indiana. The NBA might be a different story, but I don't think Shaka is leaving RVa anytime soon. He just trolled Marquette this offseason.
__________________
Mizzou NCAA Tournament wins since 2003: 4
Mizzou basketball arrests since 3/17/2014: 6
Any questions?
Saint Louis Basketball New Motto--Ford and the Great Rebuild.

KVBL Detroit Pistons

2023 KVBL Champions: St. Louis Warriors (El Shaqtus)
EpicFailGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 10:19 AM   #83 (permalink)
All-Star
 

Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: North Shore, Massachusetts
Posts: 6,529
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2825 Post(s)
Re: A-10 Hot Seat Index: The Burnin' Bernies

Louisville is awesome because of Pitino. UNC is fading because Roy Williams isn't good in 2014. Tom Crean is a weirdo and nobody wants to play for a weirdo.

Buzz left because of the BE falling star issue and the possible future relegation to DII status. He's got that Beamer cash now.
sjhawk13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 10:22 AM   #84 (permalink)
Star
 
paulxu's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 4,580
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1303 Post(s)
Re: A-10 Hot Seat Index: The Burnin' Bernies

Although I would love to see a BE/A10 challenge series, it seems unlikely that one or more coaches have derailed the idea. More likely a conference decision that would be difficult given scheduling necessities, especially with the advent next year of the Gavitt Tipoff Games that will open the season. ESPN (and assumedly Fox) are the real drivers of those types of situations.
__________________
...he went up late, and I was already up there.
paulxu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 01:56 PM   #85 (permalink)
Star
 
A10La Salle55's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 2,781
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1118 Post(s)
Re: A-10 Hot Seat Index: The Burnin' Bernies

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjhawk13 View Post
Louisville is awesome because of Pitino. UNC is fading because Roy Williams isn't good in 2014. Tom Crean is a weirdo and nobody wants to play for a weirdo.

Buzz left because of the BE falling star issue and the possible future relegation to DII status. He's got that Beamer cash now.
Yea, no one would argue Pitino isn't great. I agree with you though Crean is weird and honestly it's uncomfortable to watch him coach. I am a fan of Roy Williams. He an elite coach and the problems at UNC which is a long list have hurt him. I don't really see UNC fading at all. I expect them to be very very good this year. I would put Coach K on the fading list before Roy.

One rising star IMO is Rich Pitino his son. Really impressive first season at Minnesota as a coach who isn't getting enough credit.

I also think the Big 5 conferences are never going to be able to pull this off. They got their way for the most part in allowing them to pass their own rules. However, this is only going to go so far other conferences will challenge them if they try to pass anything ridiculous such as some unreasonable amount of stipends. They aren't going to be able to move that quickly with it. It is not as though the 5 conferences all agree what needs to happen. The ACC has a big problems with the SEC and Big 12 ideas for the most part as well as the AAC and Mountain West. This whole mess is going to be tied up in the courts for years and years. It's going to be limited in what they are able to do. I think it's only going to be able to touch football and luckily for the A10 and Big East football isn't a concern.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulxu View Post
Although I would love to see a BE/A10 challenge series, it seems unlikely that one or more coaches have derailed the idea. More likely a conference decision that would be difficult given scheduling necessities, especially with the advent next year of the Gavitt Tipoff Games that will open the season. ESPN (and assumedly Fox) are the real drivers of those types of situations.
Yea, there are a lot of things that go into it. If the coaches really wanted it they could make it happen. I am sure they could make it happen obviously not next year. ESPN for sure plays a part in it. If them or Fox said no yea it wouldn't happen.
A10La Salle55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 05:14 PM   #86 (permalink)
Star
 
paulxu's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 4,580
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1303 Post(s)
Re: A-10 Hot Seat Index: The Burnin' Bernies

The Gavitt deal runs through 2022. So it's probably unlikely that an A10/BE challenge would be slated, making two of those types of deals in one year. The other tournaments like Puerto Rico will probably be going strong until then. The more likely outcome would be individual teams meeting in OOC like Providence and RI or your game with Villanova.
__________________
...he went up late, and I was already up there.
paulxu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 06:46 PM   #87 (permalink)
Veteran
 

Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Dayton
Age: 54
Posts: 1,406
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Re: A-10 Hot Seat Index: The Burnin' Bernies

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpicFailGuy View Post
Shaka Smart has an elite job right now. I don't think a college job will be enough in most cases. North Carolina is a falling star, and so is Indiana. The NBA might be a different story, but I don't think Shaka is leaving RVa anytime soon. He just trolled Marquette this offseason.
VCU isn't an elite job Epic. Its a good fit for Shaka right now but if the right college program is calling all bets are off.
JAF_1962 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 07:49 PM   #88 (permalink)
#RiseoftheBillikens2.0
Photobucket
 
EpicFailGuy's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: St. Louis Metro
Posts: 17,684
Mentioned: 461 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1720 Post(s)
Re: A-10 Hot Seat Index: The Burnin' Bernies

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAF_1962 View Post
VCU isn't an elite job Epic. Its a good fit for Shaka right now but if the right college program is calling all bets are off.
I'm more inclined to think Shaka takes a job in the NBA over a college job. If Calipari left UK tomorrow and they called Shaka Smart...I would be wrong to say he'd turn that down out of hand.

By the way, you guys at UD have a guy to keep a leash on as well...
__________________
Mizzou NCAA Tournament wins since 2003: 4
Mizzou basketball arrests since 3/17/2014: 6
Any questions?
Saint Louis Basketball New Motto--Ford and the Great Rebuild.

KVBL Detroit Pistons

2023 KVBL Champions: St. Louis Warriors (El Shaqtus)
EpicFailGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 07:50 PM   #89 (permalink)
#RiseoftheBillikens2.0
Photobucket
 
EpicFailGuy's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: St. Louis Metro
Posts: 17,684
Mentioned: 461 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1720 Post(s)
Re: A-10 Hot Seat Index: The Burnin' Bernies

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulxu View Post
The Gavitt deal runs through 2022. So it's probably unlikely that an A10/BE challenge would be slated, making two of those types of deals in one year. The other tournaments like Puerto Rico will probably be going strong until then. The more likely outcome would be individual teams meeting in OOC like Providence and RI or your game with Villanova.
Speaking of the Big East and Fox, I'm somewhat surprised they haven't put their two biggest basketball properties (P12 and BE) into a challenge format yet.
__________________
Mizzou NCAA Tournament wins since 2003: 4
Mizzou basketball arrests since 3/17/2014: 6
Any questions?
Saint Louis Basketball New Motto--Ford and the Great Rebuild.

KVBL Detroit Pistons

2023 KVBL Champions: St. Louis Warriors (El Shaqtus)
EpicFailGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 05:39 AM   #90 (permalink)
Star
 
paulxu's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 4,580
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1303 Post(s)
Re: A-10 Hot Seat Index: The Burnin' Bernies

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpicFailGuy View Post
Speaking of the Big East and Fox, I'm somewhat surprised they haven't put their two biggest basketball properties (P12 and BE) into a challenge format yet.
Me too. But maybe time zone differences play a part, as well as the ESPN deal has some good state team matchups that are possible.

As to elite coaches, I'm hesitant to call a coach that unless they can get out of the first weekend more than once. Shaka's got a good chance to do that this year I think.
__________________
...he went up late, and I was already up there.
paulxu is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:35 PM.



User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 2002 2013 BasketballBoards.net.
 

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1