2016-2017 Dayton Flyers - Page 4 - Basketball Forum : Professional and College Basketball Forums
BasketballForum.com is the premier basketball Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
User Tag List

Like Tree43Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2017, 06:58 AM   #46 (permalink)
Veteran
 
Medford's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 1,148
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Re: 2016-2017 Dayton Flyers

gee, I never thought I'd need an abacus to translate messages on this forum. I'm lost

seriously, I hope this guy can play the guard spot, and importantly play solid defense at that spot. The A10 has always been a guard league, for obvious reasons, and it seems like UD will be lacking in "typical guards". Darryl Davis has turned himself into a solid defender, my guess is he starts from day 1. John Crosby, despite his offensive struggles is ok defensively, and I'll assume he'll get better like most of Archie's kids, but will his offensive issues be improved enough to offset anything else that provides defensively? Then there will be 2 freshman and no matter how you slice it and how good they may or may not be, will be 2 18-19 year old kids w/o the benefit of a full off season in a college weight program. Landers seems more of a 3/4 with his body build than a 2/3 wing player, though he doesn't have they protypical height of a college 4. Then again, neither does Pollard.

On the plus side, there will be a lot of options in the 6-5" range or taller, all with great length. There is Davis already mentioned above, this kid, Jay-Z's cousin (who IIRC correctly is young for his class, may not even be 18 when he enrolls at UD next season), Kostas who has length to spare, perhaps Mikesell. Can any of them handle the ball well enough to play out on the wing full time? I know Kidd is transforming Gianiss into a PG for the bucks, perhaps Kostas has the handle or will have the handle to play the 2 spot and handle the ball well.

I know Archie prefers man, I think there was even a story about Archie talking with his Dad about potentially playing zone at some point, and his Dad shot him down saying to never go off of man2man defense. However, if you look at next year's team, at least on the defensive side, they have the makeup of what made so many of those Syracuse teams great in their 2-3 zone (well except the fact that UD won't get to play all their games in NY thru January). Lots and lots of length at each spot on the floor save the PG spot.

W/o Scoochie, Kyle, Pollard and Cooke, next year's team is going to have a very different feel to it, will be interesting to see how Archie adjusts things for what he has next year.
Flyer75 likes this.
Medford is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 02-06-2017, 09:38 AM   #47 (permalink)
Veteran
 

Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Dayton
Age: 54
Posts: 1,411
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 647 Post(s)
Re: 2016-2017 Dayton Flyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medford View Post
gee, I never thought I'd need an abacus to translate messages on this forum. I'm lost

seriously, I hope this guy can play the guard spot, and importantly play solid defense at that spot. The A10 has always been a guard league, for obvious reasons, and it seems like UD will be lacking in "typical guards". Darryl Davis has turned himself into a solid defender, my guess is he starts from day 1. John Crosby, despite his offensive struggles is ok defensively, and I'll assume he'll get better like most of Archie's kids, but will his offensive issues be improved enough to offset anything else that provides defensively? Then there will be 2 freshman and no matter how you slice it and how good they may or may not be, will be 2 18-19 year old kids w/o the benefit of a full off season in a college weight program. Landers seems more of a 3/4 with his body build than a 2/3 wing player, though he doesn't have they protypical height of a college 4. Then again, neither does Pollard.

On the plus side, there will be a lot of options in the 6-5" range or taller, all with great length. There is Davis already mentioned above, this kid, Jay-Z's cousin (who IIRC correctly is young for his class, may not even be 18 when he enrolls at UD next season), Kostas who has length to spare, perhaps Mikesell. Can any of them handle the ball well enough to play out on the wing full time? I know Kidd is transforming Gianiss into a PG for the bucks, perhaps Kostas has the handle or will have the handle to play the 2 spot and handle the ball well.

I know Archie prefers man, I think there was even a story about Archie talking with his Dad about potentially playing zone at some point, and his Dad shot him down saying to never go off of man2man defense. However, if you look at next year's team, at least on the defensive side, they have the makeup of what made so many of those Syracuse teams great in their 2-3 zone (well except the fact that UD won't get to play all their games in NY thru January). Lots and lots of length at each spot on the floor save the PG spot.

W/o Scoochie, Kyle, Pollard and Cooke, next year's team is going to have a very different feel to it, will be interesting to see how Archie adjusts things for what he has next year.
Svoboda is the heir apparent to Cooke's minutes. The consensus on the Rivals board is that Archie is still looking despite no open scholarships. This is probably true this season and was probably true in past seasons. Archie doesn't seem to recruit players simply to fill needs, so another recruit is going to be really good for Archie to force a transfer (or will help the team from day one).
JAF_1962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 10:35 AM   #48 (permalink)
Veteran
 
Medford's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 1,148
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Re: 2016-2017 Dayton Flyers

I always envisioned that Kostas would be getting Cooke's minutes (having not seen a minute of real action out of him, just rep and brief practice comments), perhaps Darryl can play the point, but after 3 seasons that is less than ideal. Really need either Crosby to step up big time or Wright to be ready day 1. history would suggest that at least 1 kid transfers, so there is likely room for a graduate transfer that could potentially fill the slot; would someone be willing to buy into the "true team" concept (we saw how that worked last year when they ran into girlfriend issues) if they were just a "mercenary"?
Medford is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Old 02-06-2017, 11:24 AM   #49 (permalink)
Rookie
 

Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 72
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Re: 2016-2017 Dayton Flyers

The real question is who Archie will "Cripe" when he finds a player he want to add this spring.
Flyer75 likes this.
Ctime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 12:10 PM   #50 (permalink)
All-Star
 
Flyer75's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 6,385
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 959 Post(s)
Re: 2016-2017 Dayton Flyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medford View Post
I always envisioned that Kostas would be getting Cooke's minutes (having not seen a minute of real action out of him, just rep and brief practice comments), perhaps Darryl can play the point, but after 3 seasons that is less than ideal. Really need either Crosby to step up big time or Wright to be ready day 1. history would suggest that at least 1 kid transfers, so there is likely room for a graduate transfer that could potentially fill the slot; would someone be willing to buy into the "true team" concept (we saw how that worked last year when they ran into girlfriend issues) if they were just a "mercenary"?
Like you, I'm kinda just thinking out loud here but I envision the following the starting 5:

Crosby - PG
D. Davis - PG
Svboda - SG
Kostas A. - F
Cunningham - F

That's a lengthy starting 5. DD has probably earned it being the lone senior on the team and his defense is worthy of a start even if his shot is slumping.

Kostas will be more of a SF, even at 6'11. He can dribble and shoot with no problem so having him play the stretch 4 will be a luxury we haven't had at Dayton.

Cunningham will play the PF spot.

I'm just taking a wild guess with Svboda at this point. But from what I've read he's pretty much that good that he will start from day 1. He'll be able to get his shot over most guys guarding him and he'll be another luxury on the fast break as a player that can head for the corner and just wait.

Crosby might be the mystery player. I gotta think he starts but Wright will be breathing down his neck if he doesn't perform.

X. Williams is the one I hate leaving out of the starting 5. Maybe he starts at that stretch 3 position over Svboda?
Flyer75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 12:12 PM   #51 (permalink)
All-Star
 

Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Westchester County, NY
Posts: 5,620
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1067 Post(s)
Re: 2016-2017 Dayton Flyers

Looks like a topic for the 2017-18 Dayton Flyers thread.
Flyer75 likes this.
__________________
Bona84
Bona84 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 12:13 PM   #52 (permalink)
All-Star
 
Flyer75's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 6,385
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 959 Post(s)
Re: 2016-2017 Dayton Flyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bona84 View Post
Looks like a topic for the 2017-18 Dayton Flyers thread.
Only if we put a little blue circle by that topic though...
Flyer75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 12:20 PM   #53 (permalink)
All-Star
 

Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Westchester County, NY
Posts: 5,620
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1067 Post(s)
Re: 2016-2017 Dayton Flyers

You guys are demanding.
__________________
Bona84
Bona84 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 12:29 PM   #54 (permalink)
Star
 
paulxu's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 4,584
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1306 Post(s)
Re: 2016-2017 Dayton Flyers

You keep this up and somebody will try and sail a flagship in here.
__________________
...he went up late, and I was already up there.
paulxu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 12:46 PM   #55 (permalink)
Veteran
 
Medford's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 1,148
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Re: 2016-2017 Dayton Flyers

you know what would be nice for the 2017-28 season? to have a season with everyone relatively healthy, un-suspended (or available to play) and very much alive.

This season we had Kostas unavailable (which I assume Archie knew was going to happen all along), Big Steve pass away, and Cunningham out for 3 months, not to mention the short term injuries that always happen.

Last year it was Pierre in limbo for the first half, not to mention one play banging the starting PG's girlfriend (allegedly) completely ruining team chemistry down the stretch.

2 years ago it was the Columbus dufuses not following the golden rule and getting the boot.

I think things were relatively normal during the elite 8 season. The only thing that jumps out is Khari Price's knees being mostly shot by seasons end, but by that point Scoochie was ready to take over as needed.

The year prior it was Kavs sleeping w/ a 17 year old girl and getting suspended for a season.

I don't follow any other program the way I follow UD, so perhaps that is fairly normal for everyone else; if not makes me wonder if Archie could even function if a wrench wasn't thrown into the works at some point in the season.

Then again, what do I care, give me a blue circle and its all good
Medford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 01:05 PM   #56 (permalink)
Player
 

Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 876
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Re: 2016-2017 Dayton Flyers

Hopefully, Josh Cunningham can get some minutes in. and get himself back to or at least close to 100%, before the end of the season. It would certainly be a help to UD, but more importantly, the young man has been through alot injury wise, and deserves some good times.
College Hoops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 02:30 PM   #57 (permalink)
Veteran
 

Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Dayton
Age: 54
Posts: 1,411
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 647 Post(s)
Re: 2016-2017 Dayton Flyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyer75 View Post
Like you, I'm kinda just thinking out loud here but I envision the following the starting 5:

Crosby - PG
D. Davis - PG
Svboda - SG
Kostas A. - F
Cunningham - F

That's a lengthy starting 5. DD has probably earned it being the lone senior on the team and his defense is worthy of a start even if his shot is slumping.

Kostas will be more of a SF, even at 6'11. He can dribble and shoot with no problem so having him play the stretch 4 will be a luxury we haven't had at Dayton.

Cunningham will play the PF spot.

I'm just taking a wild guess with Svboda at this point. But from what I've read he's pretty much that good that he will start from day 1. He'll be able to get his shot over most guys guarding him and he'll be another luxury on the fast break as a player that can head for the corner and just wait.

Crosby might be the mystery player. I gotta think he starts but Wright will be breathing down his neck if he doesn't perform.

X. Williams is the one I hate leaving out of the starting 5. Maybe he starts at that stretch 3 position over Svboda?
Here's my wild ass guess for next year's starting lineup day 1.

F - X Williams
F- Ryan Mikesell
F- Josh Cunningham
G- Darrell Davis
G- McKinley Wright

Archie gives the keys to the frosh PG day one. Svoboda will be 21 when the season starts next year so he could be a big surprise. Kostas is the wild card.

Up yours '84. This is our thread. We may start talking about 18 / 19 starters.
JAF_1962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 02:46 PM   #58 (permalink)
All-Star
 

Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Westchester County, NY
Posts: 5,620
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1067 Post(s)
Re: 2016-2017 Dayton Flyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medford View Post
you know what would be nice for the 2017-28 season? to have a season with everyone relatively healthy, un-suspended (or available to play) and very much alive.

This season we had Kostas unavailable (which I assume Archie knew was going to happen all along), Big Steve pass away, and Cunningham out for 3 months, not to mention the short term injuries that always happen.

Last year it was Pierre in limbo for the first half, not to mention one play banging the starting PG's girlfriend (allegedly) completely ruining team chemistry down the stretch.

2 years ago it was the Columbus dufuses not following the golden rule and getting the boot.

I think things were relatively normal during the elite 8 season. The only thing that jumps out is Khari Price's knees being mostly shot by seasons end, but by that point Scoochie was ready to take over as needed.

The year prior it was Kavs sleeping w/ a 17 year old girl and getting suspended for a season.

I don't follow any other program the way I follow UD, so perhaps that is fairly normal for everyone else; if not makes me wonder if Archie could even function if a wrench wasn't thrown into the works at some point in the season.

Then again, what do I care, give me a blue circle and its all good
I hear ya, Medford, and I wish good health and life for all Dayton Flyers. Having said that, aren't you asking a lot for an 11 year season?
__________________
Bona84
Bona84 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 02:47 PM   #59 (permalink)
All-Star
 

Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Westchester County, NY
Posts: 5,620
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1067 Post(s)
Re: 2016-2017 Dayton Flyers

Oh, and thank you, Jaffie.
__________________
Bona84
Bona84 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 01:22 PM   #60 (permalink)
All-Star
 
Flyer75's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 6,385
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 959 Post(s)
Re: 2016-2017 Dayton Flyers

The senior class for Dayton will be going for their 97th win tomorrow night in Kingston. This would tie the Dayton record for wins by one class.
Flyer75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:05 PM.



User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 2002 2013 BasketballBoards.net.
 

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1