2016-2017 Dayton Flyers - Page 6 - Basketball Forum : Professional and College Basketball Forums
BasketballForum.com is the premier basketball Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
User Tag List

Like Tree43Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2017, 12:36 PM   #76 (permalink)
Star
 
paulxu's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 4,531
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1279 Post(s)
Re: 2016-2017 Dayton Flyers

Texas is a VERY difficult place to coach.
__________________
...he went up late, and I was already up there.
paulxu is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 02-16-2017, 12:43 PM   #77 (permalink)
Piker
 
AlienAiden's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: RVA
Posts: 6,096
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2623 Post(s)
Re: 2016-2017 Dayton Flyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulxu View Post
Texas is a VERY difficult place to coach.
? Ha!
__________________
"Left hand, right hand, it doesnt matter. I'm amphibious!" ~Charles Shackleford
Rest in Peace
AlienAiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 02:24 PM   #78 (permalink)
Player
 

Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 846
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Re: 2016-2017 Dayton Flyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonBoy View Post
Dayton, VCU, Wichita St, and Butler. Maybe I'm biased, but those all seem like better jobs to me than NC State.
At least as long as Coach K and Roy Williams are coaching, the NC State coach is going to be fighting Wake Forest for third place (no offense Davidson) in the state of NC. I realize Miller has ties to the school, but I think if he leaves UD, he's going emulate his brother and do to a top tier program e.g. Ohio State.
JonBoy likes this.
College Hoops is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Old 02-16-2017, 03:30 PM   #79 (permalink)
All-Star
 
Flyer75's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 6,343
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 941 Post(s)
Re: 2016-2017 Dayton Flyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by College Hoops View Post
At least as long as Coach K and Roy Williams are coaching, the NC State coach is going to be fighting Wake Forest for third place (no offense Davidson) in the state of NC. I realize Miller has ties to the school, but I think if he leaves UD, he's going emulate his brother and do to a top tier program e.g. Ohio State.

Hard to tell what Archie might be thinking. Is the NC State job better than Dayton? Yes, but only if you are winning a ton. MG has been there 6 years I think? He made the NCAA tourny the first 4 years with 2 S16. He missed last year and looks to be missing big this year....and he's canned. You have a lot more rope at a Dayton.

There's certainly more security at a Dayton but most of these guys have pretty big egos and truly believe they can win anywhere. And that's not a knock on Archie...I think he can win at NC State...he just better not lose.
IstanbulRam likes this.
Flyer75 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 07:17 PM   #80 (permalink)
All-Star
 
Flyer75's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 6,343
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 941 Post(s)
Re: 2016-2017 Dayton Flyers

http://www.barstoolsports.com/barsto...m/#getcomments

On another note:

This is a very thorough article on the Flyers and really nice praise for Kyle Davis.
Flyer75 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 08:30 PM   #81 (permalink)
Veteran
 
Chetburger's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 1,589
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Re: 2016-2017 Dayton Flyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulxu View Post
Now that Gottfried has been let go (early) it's probably time to wonder if Miller will go to his alma mater.
I think he is in a good position to maybe do that with the success of the last few years. And like Shaka, things have slide a little each year from the E8 so now might be a good time.
I dont think things had slid at all since the E8 season. In fact I think they have gotten better. The E8 season was probably the only healthy season he's ever coached at UD. The carnage of injuries and defections (and deaths) over the last two full calendar years would have sent most programs into a death spiral of mediocrity. What hes been able to do with never having a full team on the floor is remarkable.

Two years ago he had to use six scholarship players, a walk on, and all 6-6 or under. Last year he didnt have Pierre for 1/2 the season because of fishy charges. In the offseason he had a death of what would probably end up as the best big man in the league in a couple years. This season its been an endless nightmare of injuries. UD has played two games this year with a full roster -- two -- and thats if you dont include Big Steve's sudden death in the offseason.

If and when Archie ever gets back to 11-12 healthy scholarship bodies for a full season, its party time.
__________________
--------------
Head Coach Chester Chetburger, A10 Forum Hoops Touring Practice Squad

"I serve the entire Quad Cities area."
-- Fred Garvin, Male Prostitute
Chetburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 05:43 AM   #82 (permalink)
Star
 
paulxu's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 4,531
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1279 Post(s)
Re: 2016-2017 Dayton Flyers

Saying that things have slipped a little isn't a slam on Miller or his coaching ability. School admins who would make the hire are aware of the daily realities of what a prospective candidate faces with their current situation.

It's a perception in the national media/other fan bases. The E8 run was special, like Shaka's F4. When subsequent years look to be heading downward, it's a perception issue (fairly or unfairly). If you don't duplicate some of the earlier success then consistency might be an issue.

This is all speculative of course. I just look at Larranaga, Smart, Sean Miller, Matta, etc. When they had some success on the national stage, they moved on to larger schools. Sometime I think (personal opinion) these guys are competitors and constantly want to test themselves against better competition. What a bonus if you can do that and get paid more money
__________________
...he went up late, and I was already up there.
paulxu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 06:14 AM   #83 (permalink)
6th Man
 

Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 478
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Re: 2016-2017 Dayton Flyers

This is very reminiscent of when Shaka left: senior core of the team leaving with no clear replacement especially at guard. With that said looking closer into NC State they went to the tournament 4 of the 6 years and made sweet 16 twice so it is clear either you get them to the final 4 or you are gone. I think he passes and waits for Ohio St but that is risky. In college sports your Star can fade in a season.
__________________
2015 A-10 Contest Co-Champion

Last edited by Rich93; 02-17-2017 at 06:22 AM.
Rich93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 03:07 PM   #84 (permalink)
Veteran
 

Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Dayton
Age: 54
Posts: 1,332
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 600 Post(s)
Re: 2016-2017 Dayton Flyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetburger View Post
I dont think things had slid at all since the E8 season. In fact I think they have gotten better. The E8 season was probably the only healthy season he's ever coached at UD. The carnage of injuries and defections (and deaths) over the last two full calendar years would have sent most programs into a death spiral of mediocrity. What hes been able to do with never having a full team on the floor is remarkable.

Two years ago he had to use six scholarship players, a walk on, and all 6-6 or under. Last year he didnt have Pierre for 1/2 the season because of fishy charges. In the offseason he had a death of what would probably end up as the best big man in the league in a couple years. This season its been an endless nightmare of injuries. UD has played two games this year with a full roster -- two -- and thats if you dont include Big Steve's sudden death in the offseason.

If and when Archie ever gets back to 11-12 healthy scholarship bodies for a full season, its party time.
I actually agree with you Chet. I posted this before, but with Big Steve playing, and with Pollard and Cunningham both healthy, this team could have been a top 10 team. As good as the seniors are, I think Archie is potentially bringing in more talented players. The seniors don't lose. I don't know if it's them or Archie, or both. That intangible quality is the loss.

There is a good core coming back with Cunningham, Mikesell, X Williams and Darrell Davis. Mikesell, X and Baby D are getting better each game, and Kostas has the most freakish potential of any UD freshman that I can remember. I've heard that Archie really likes his progress - especially around the basket on both sides of the ball. I'm not sure about Svoboda. Archie did back out of an official visit by the Froling kid transferring from SMU (who ended up at Marquette) because Svoboda was coming in for a visit. Finally, McKinley Wright is putting up monster numbers in Minnesota for a high school team ranked in the top 20 nationally. The cupboard is not bare by any means.
JAF_1962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 03:13 PM   #85 (permalink)
Veteran
 

Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Dayton
Age: 54
Posts: 1,332
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 600 Post(s)
Re: 2016-2017 Dayton Flyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich93 View Post
This is very reminiscent of when Shaka left: senior core of the team leaving with no clear replacement especially at guard. With that said looking closer into NC State they went to the tournament 4 of the 6 years and made sweet 16 twice so it is clear either you get them to the final 4 or you are gone. I think he passes and waits for Ohio St but that is risky. In college sports your Star can fade in a season.
I think you're spot on Rich. Someone posted a tweet from a former OSU player saying that Matta will be back at least one more year, and that it's Thad's call when he needs to step down.

The thing with Archie, though, is that his fall back is a shit load of money and a really nice program at Dayton. His star has to fade and crash into the UD Arena before UD gets tired of him. They have never been quick to pull the trigger on these types of moves.

See my post above. The cupboard is not bare. The loss of the seniors is going to be hard to replace but Dayton isn't riding the backs of one class like a lot of mid-majors
JAF_1962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 03:30 PM   #86 (permalink)
Star
 
Bill Russell's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 4,894
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1516 Post(s)
Re: 2016-2017 Dayton Flyers

If IU fires Crean, I have to believe Sphincter Mouth would be quite interested.
Bill Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 04:28 PM   #87 (permalink)
Veteran
 

Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Dayton
Age: 54
Posts: 1,332
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 600 Post(s)
Re: 2016-2017 Dayton Flyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Russell View Post
If IU fires Crean, I have to believe Sphincter Mouth would be quite interested.
EYOA Bill.
Bill Russell likes this.
JAF_1962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 05:00 PM   #88 (permalink)
res
Star
 

Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 2,633
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Re: 2016-2017 Dayton Flyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetburger View Post
Two years ago he had to use six scholarship players, a walk on, and all 6-6 or under.
I hadn't heard this before. Can any other Dayton posters verify this?
Bona84, ace93, Flyer75 and 2 others like this.
res is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 06:12 PM   #89 (permalink)
6th Man
 

Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 478
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Re: 2016-2017 Dayton Flyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAF_1962 View Post
I think you're spot on Rich. Someone posted a tweet from a former OSU player saying that Matta will be back at least one more year, and that it's Thad's call when he needs to step down.

The thing with Archie, though, is that his fall back is a shit load of money and a really nice program at Dayton. His star has to fade and crash into the UD Arena before UD gets tired of him. They have never been quick to pull the trigger on these types of moves.

See my post above. The cupboard is not bare. The loss of the seniors is going to be hard to replace but Dayton isn't riding the backs of one class like a lot of mid-majors

When I star fading I am do not mean Dayton goes to the bottom of the league I just mean it will be difficult to replace those 4 guys right away so that they are clearly a tournament team in 17-18. Right now Miller is the guy who made Dayton into the class of the A-10 so his stock may not get higher IF he wants to move up. It is interesting Dayton is a good program so he can be picky but if you are too picky bad season all o a sudden the Big tine P5 schools pass. That is not worst thing in the world he makes good money and has a program that will always have a shot to win the league.
__________________
2015 A-10 Contest Co-Champion
Rich93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 06:28 PM   #90 (permalink)
Veteran
 

Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Dayton
Age: 54
Posts: 1,332
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 600 Post(s)
Re: 2016-2017 Dayton Flyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by res View Post
I hadn't heard this before. Can any other Dayton posters verify this?
Res, it's true. We kind of keep these things to ourselves in the Gem City.
res and Gormin71 like this.
JAF_1962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:36 AM.



User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 2002 2013 BasketballBoards.net.
 

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1