NCAA Tournament: Dayton, Rhody & VCU - Page 10 - Basketball Forum : Professional and College Basketball Forums
BasketballForum.com is the premier basketball Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
User Tag List

Like Tree63Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2017, 06:29 AM   #136 (permalink)
Veteran
 
BrownIndians85's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 1,896
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 825 Post(s)
Re: NCAA Tournament: Dayton, Rhody & VCU

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulxu View Post
I didn't hear it.
But it must have been something about 3 SEC teams left in the E8.
Yeah a tongue in cheek semi sarcastic "don't get Florida in, don't get 3 SEC teams in." Definitely a "stop taking pot shots at our league."
__________________
http://www.gobonnies.com
BrownIndians85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 03-25-2017, 07:00 AM   #137 (permalink)
Star
 
ace93's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 2,865
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Re: NCAA Tournament: Dayton, Rhody & VCU

I ended up hearing it in the post-game of the final game of the night. BrownIndians85 sums it up about right.
ace93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 11:34 PM   #138 (permalink)
Star
 

Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 2,622
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 886 Post(s)
Re: NCAA Tournament: Dayton, Rhody & VCU

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownIndians85 View Post
Yeah a tongue in cheek semi sarcastic "don't get Florida in, don't get 3 SEC teams in." Definitely a "stop taking pot shots at our league."
No one disagrees that Kentucky, Florida and South Carolina are very good at basketball this season. It's the other 11 teams we are trash talking on.

This is the thing that people don't get about the effect conference play has on the big picture (aka why I was right 4 years ago about the A-10 being "just fine" after we lost Xavier, Temple, Butler, et al).

Back then, I said "We're all going to play 18 conference games, the winner will be 14-4 or better, third place will be 12-6 or 13-5, and we're all good enough OOC for that to be bubble worthy."

The same thing applies to ANY large group of teams in a conference or within a conference.

The BOTTOM three of the SEC was as bad as the top three were good.
The middle 8 teams were basically starting 4-4. (losing to top 3, beating bottom 3), then playing 10 games against each other.
And all of them were buying 7 OOC games with all their football money and getting 7+ OOC wins.

So when Vanderbilt goes 6-4 vs the middle 8 teams to finish 10-8 in SEC play, wins 7 guarantee games and ends up 19-16... all the stupid people who bought into the myth that "the SEC has good football so they are good at basketball, too" they get into the NCAA Tournament.

And a team like Monmouth, who's 8-5 against NCAA/BCS teams in the last two years (including 12 of those games away from home), 49 in the RPI, lost SIX GAMES all season and led the nation in road wins isn't considered.

Send the bottom 11 teams of the SEC on an 11-game OOC road trip through the MAAC and see if they can go 9-2 like Monmouth.

If they can, I might not say "shut up, you overrated piece of shit" to the SEC.
jpschmack is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Old 04-03-2017, 08:16 PM   #139 (permalink)
Veteran
 
BrownIndians85's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 1,896
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 825 Post(s)
Re: NCAA Tournament: Dayton, Rhody & VCU

Have the refs absolutely ruined this NC game? The first half was incredible. Did they feel left out, you know, since we all look forward to hearing their whistles.
ace93, Flyer75 and Bona03 like this.
__________________
http://www.gobonnies.com
BrownIndians85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 09:09 PM   #140 (permalink)
Star
 
ace93's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 2,865
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Re: NCAA Tournament: Dayton, Rhody & VCU

Overly involved officials. I am sure there were bad calls both ways, but since I was rooting for Gonaga my views likely were biased. The 4th on Collins was weak. The flagrant on Karnowski was one of the weakest flagrant fouls I have ever seen.
Flyer75 and BrownIndians85 like this.
ace93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 02:51 AM   #141 (permalink)
All-Star
 
Flyer75's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 6,404
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 966 Post(s)
Re: NCAA Tournament: Dayton, Rhody & VCU

And how about missing Meeks having his hand out of bounds on that loose ball????
ace93 and BrownIndians85 like this.
Flyer75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 03:19 AM   #142 (permalink)
Player
 

Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 969
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Re: NCAA Tournament: Dayton, Rhody & VCU

This:

http://www.espn.com/chalk/story/_/id...as-unc-gonzaga
http://www.espn.com/chalk/story/_/id...nal-four-teams

And this:

http://abc11.com/sports/referee-who-...reats/1824088/

And this:

http://abc11.com/sports/mark-few-on-...aware/1834471/

-

Last edited by Dunga; 04-04-2017 at 03:31 AM.
Dunga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 05:28 AM   #143 (permalink)
Veteran
 
BrownIndians85's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 1,896
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 825 Post(s)
Re: NCAA Tournament: Dayton, Rhody & VCU

Dunga, I don't know that the gambling necessarily has anything to do with it. The books make their money regardless by shifting the line, right?

There were bad calls both ways. The airball 3 pointer for Gonzaga that they got reversed as a UNC OOB and it led to a made 3 pointer 5 seconds later. The jump ball tie up where Meeks was OOB. The flagrant on Karnowski - give me a break. I had a feeling Raftery was beside himself with the 2nd half officiating. Weak calls on Collins. To be fair, some weak calls on UNC too. Actually the entire 2nd half was just plain weak. The refs sucked and it affected the game, took the players out of rhythm, and then the play suffered as a result. An incredible, physical game with good flow in the 1st half - why can't the refs just leave a good thing alone?

Credit to Gonzaga for not blaming the officials. I think it would be sour grapes. It was just plain bad officiating no matter who won or lost.
__________________
http://www.gobonnies.com
BrownIndians85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 05:54 AM   #144 (permalink)
Veteran
 
Bona03's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 1,149
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Re: NCAA Tournament: Dayton, Rhody & VCU

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownIndians85 View Post
Dunga, I don't know that the gambling necessarily has anything to do with it. The books make their money regardless by shifting the line, right?

There were bad calls both ways. The airball 3 pointer for Gonzaga that they got reversed as a UNC OOB and it led to a made 3 pointer 5 seconds later. The jump ball tie up where Meeks was OOB. The flagrant on Karnowski - give me a break. I had a feeling Raftery was beside himself with the 2nd half officiating. Weak calls on Collins. To be fair, some weak calls on UNC too. Actually the entire 2nd half was just plain weak. The refs sucked and it affected the game, took the players out of rhythm, and then the play suffered as a result. An incredible, physical game with good flow in the 1st half - why can't the refs just leave a good thing alone?

Credit to Gonzaga for not blaming the officials. I think it would be sour grapes. It was just plain bad officiating no matter who won or lost.
Agree 100%. Just terrible officiating in the 2nd half. I thought the first was great and the refs decided at halftime to take over the game. Even though they got that "tipped shot" call wrong, technically the Gonzaga player was fouled so it evened out. The weaks calls throughout the 2nd half just killed the game. Both teams were in the bonus at 14 min! In 6 min there were over 14 fouls called! FFS, its a National Championship game! Unfortunately this is par for the course lately. The 2015 game was officiated horribly as was the entire 2013 Final 4. As a huge college basketball fan I was disgusted with it. I immediately shut the game off after it ended, which is something I never do.

I will defend the oob call at the end because I know how tough it is. I am sure he was making sure the players were tied up and nobody had committed a foul and also whether there was actually a tie up at all. You do have to check the end lines in that situation as well. It would have been easy to call after assessing everything but I bet he got caught up in the game. Understandable but not excusable.
__________________
2016-2017 A10 Contest Champion
Bona03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 07:02 AM   #145 (permalink)
Star
 
ace93's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 2,865
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Re: NCAA Tournament: Dayton, Rhody & VCU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bona03 View Post
I will defend the oob call at the end because I know how tough it is. I am sure he was making sure the players were tied up and nobody had committed a foul and also whether there was actually a tie up at all. You do have to check the end lines in that situation as well. It would have been easy to call after assessing everything but I bet he got caught up in the game. Understandable but not excusable.
They seem to go to the monitor for everything under two minutes. Surprised they did not go to it there.
ace93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 07:27 AM   #146 (permalink)
Veteran
 
Bona03's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 1,149
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Re: NCAA Tournament: Dayton, Rhody & VCU

Quote:
Originally Posted by ace93 View Post
They seem to go to the monitor for everything under two minutes. Surprised they did not go to it there.
I read somewhere that the play was not reviewable because it was called a jump ball and was not an out of bounds call.
__________________
2016-2017 A10 Contest Champion
Bona03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 07:35 AM   #147 (permalink)
Star
 
ace93's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 2,865
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Re: NCAA Tournament: Dayton, Rhody & VCU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bona03 View Post
I read somewhere that the play was not reviewable because it was called a jump ball and was not an out of bounds call.
Ah, interesting. And idiotic!

The rules on what is reviewable and what is not are ridiculous in my view. That said, I thought I saw a game in which they reviewed if a player had gone out of bounds when they had not called him out of bounds, but I don't remember what stopped play after that to allow them to review it. Maybe it was a subsequent out of bounds.
ace93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 09:29 AM   #148 (permalink)
Benchwarmer
 
commie21's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 212
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Re: NCAA Tournament: Dayton, Rhody & VCU

Quote:
Originally Posted by ace93 View Post
Ah, interesting. And idiotic!

The rules on what is reviewable and what is not are ridiculous in my view. That said, I thought I saw a game in which they reviewed if a player had gone out of bounds when they had not called him out of bounds, but I don't remember what stopped play after that to allow them to review it. Maybe it was a subsequent out of bounds.
It was the Gonzaga-WVU game. The best hair in college basketball, Nathan Adrian, saved the ball and the ref called him out of bounds, Gonzaga ball. There was 1:59 on the clock, so they reviewed the call. They gave the ball back to WVU because he wasn't out of bounds and the saved ball went to WVU. I've never seen them review something that wasn't a "who touched it last" scenario.
commie21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 09:44 AM   #149 (permalink)
Veteran
 
BrownIndians85's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 1,896
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 825 Post(s)
Re: NCAA Tournament: Dayton, Rhody & VCU

Quote:
Originally Posted by commie21 View Post
The best hair in college basketball, Nathan Adrian
Fastest swimmer in college BB?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bona03 View Post
I immediately shut the game off after it ended, which is something I never do.
Same here. I actually turned it off immediately after the Zags TO with about 3s on the clock because I refused to have to hear Jim Nantz have an orgasm anointing ol' Roy greatest coach in modern college BB.

What a letdown after last year's championship game was so good in every aspect.
__________________
http://www.gobonnies.com
BrownIndians85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 09:50 AM   #150 (permalink)
Star
 
ace93's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 2,865
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Re: NCAA Tournament: Dayton, Rhody & VCU

Quote:
Originally Posted by commie21 View Post
It was the Gonzaga-WVU game. The best hair in college basketball, Nathan Adrian, saved the ball and the ref called him out of bounds, Gonzaga ball. There was 1:59 on the clock, so they reviewed the call. They gave the ball back to WVU because he wasn't out of bounds and the saved ball went to WVU. I've never seen them review something that wasn't a "who touched it last" scenario.
Ah, thanks, so not as I remember it. Acceptable within the rules, as it was called out of bounds. They can review out-of-bounds calls, but can't review if a player had gone out of bounds during certain other dead ball situations.
ace93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:41 PM.



User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 2002 2013 BasketballBoards.net.
 

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1