No League for Old Men - Page 8 - Basketball Forum : Professional and College Basketball Forums
BasketballForum.com is the premier basketball Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
User Tag List

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-31-2011, 02:38 PM   #106 (permalink)
Tangible
 
Adam's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2003
Age: 28
Posts: 13,515
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 403 Post(s)
Re: No League for Old Men

Quote:
Originally Posted by R-Star View Post
You should reread your posts and figure out what your point actually was. It's not really a point if you change it every time I post something to make you look stupid.


You know, it really seems like my Redneck Canadian ass is doing a better job understanding the numbers you posted, now doesn't it?
Is this your argumentative strategy? You say you're winning and hope that there's somebody gullible enough to believe you? I posted stats that support my argument that the league is getting younger and careers are shortening and you somehow think that I'm proven wrong, with my own supporting evidnece?

You've been arguing my point for me for the past 24 hours without even being smart enough to realize it. Claiming young guys are being taken based on promise and they're phasing out and there's a downward trend in age. Keep going. Please.
__________________


Quote:
Jeremy Tyler was in Portland for a pre-draft workout on Thursday and was asked about Blazers coach Nate McMillan. “Nate McMillan,” he said. “No … What college is that?”
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 12-31-2011, 02:45 PM   #107 (permalink)
King of the Interwebz!
Photobucket
 
R-Star's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Clive
Age: 31
Posts: 44,673
Mentioned: 150 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2511 Post(s)
Re: No League for Old Men

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
Is this your argumentative strategy? You say you're winning and hope that there's somebody gullible enough to believe you? I posted stats that support my argument that the league is getting younger and careers are shortening and you somehow think that I'm proven wrong, with my own supporting evidnece?

You've been arguing my point for me for the past 24 hours without even being smart enough to realize it. Claiming young guys are being taken based on promise and they're phasing out and there's a downward trend in age. Keep going. Please.


I wonder if your tactic is to hope you annoy me enough to lose my temper.

Again, please go back and read the posts. I could re quote your posts and my replies, explaining where how asinine this all is, and how your "theory" is ridiculous, but do I really have to?

Please, its an honest question. And I'm still waiting for you to convert all this to a percentage that you mentioned. Oh, and I'm also waiting for you to touch on the fact you thought "EXP" meant average career length (it didn't.), how in 2008 players were the youngest they'd been in 20 years (they weren't), how Chris Paul was one and done, etc.

So think about it for a few minutes and see if you honestly want me to go back and rehash all this for you. I do see a lot of people in this thread agreeing with you and quoting me telling me how I'm wrong though.......
__________________
R-Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 02:50 PM   #108 (permalink)
Werewolf Bar Mitzvah
Photobucket
 
Hyperion's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: 602
Posts: 18,743
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 262 Post(s)
Re: No League for Old Men

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
You do realize that the column "EXP" is the one that denotes average career length, right? After a seven year period average career length dropped 16%. Today it's down 25% from 1999-2000.

The average age (the column you posted) dropping a full year in an 8 year period in a sport with an age rule and a very set age range that it can be physically played is a pretty significant change.
With the 20 year sample you provided, the average experience is 4.45years with a standard deviation of 0.38years. 70% of all samples fall within 4.83 - 4.07 years of experience. 2008 is no different.

The average age varies one standard deviation from 27.63 - 26.79.

The data you've provided does nothing other than to show that the age remains the same in the league.

EDIT: I didn't feel like doing a t-test
__________________
"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain...."

"The light that burns twice as bright burns for half as long - and you have burned so very, very brightly"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam*Ron View Post
Anyway, gotta get back to the money. Holla at you lames another day.
Hyperion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 02:51 PM   #109 (permalink)
Tangible
 
Adam's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2003
Age: 28
Posts: 13,515
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 403 Post(s)
Re: No League for Old Men

Quote:
Originally Posted by R-Star View Post


I wonder if your tactic is to hope you annoy me enough to lose my temper.
Again, please go back and read the posts. I could re quote your posts and my replies, explaining where how asinine this all is, and how your "theory" is ridiculous, but do I really have to?

I should go back and read all the posts you skipped? You just read the first post an hour ago, right?

Quote:
Please, its an honest question. And I'm still waiting for you to convert all this to a percentage that you mentioned. Oh, and I'm also waiting for you to touch on the fact you thought "EXP" meant average career length (it didn't.),
It's the average length of the careers of the current NBA players. You're confounding yourself.

Quote:
how in 2008 players were the youngest they'd been in 20 years (they weren't), how Chris Paul was one and done, etc.
Those are mistakes. So what? I misquoted the chart and I incorrectly thought Chris Paul was a one and done.

Quote:
So think about it for a few minutes and see if you honestly want me to go back and rehash all this for you. I do see a lot of people in this thread agreeing with you and quoting me telling me how I'm wrong though.......
Go ahead. I'm waiting.
__________________


Quote:
Jeremy Tyler was in Portland for a pre-draft workout on Thursday and was asked about Blazers coach Nate McMillan. “Nate McMillan,” he said. “No … What college is that?”
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 02:59 PM   #110 (permalink)
Tangible
 
Adam's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2003
Age: 28
Posts: 13,515
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 403 Post(s)
Re: No League for Old Men

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperion View Post
With the 20 year sample you provided, the average experience is 4.45years with a standard deviation of 0.38years. 70% of all samples fall within 4.83 - 4.07 years of experience. 2008 is no different.

The average age varies one standard deviation from 27.63 - 26.79.

The data you've provided does nothing other than to show that the age remains the same in the league.

EDIT: I didn't feel like doing a t-test
You're taking the mean of means and I already said that the data is becoming more like the earlier time points. Of course the '80's points shift the mean but if you just look at the trends then you can see the league is getting younger. All you're stating is that it's not significantly different than it was including the past 20 years. Which I've consistently said. I said it's getting more like it was 20 years ago.

But on top of that the current trend hasn't bottomed out yet. I've heard that career length is below four years now and it's still going lower. Players are even younger today than they were in 2008.
__________________


Quote:
Jeremy Tyler was in Portland for a pre-draft workout on Thursday and was asked about Blazers coach Nate McMillan. “Nate McMillan,” he said. “No … What college is that?”
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 03:01 PM   #111 (permalink)
King of the Interwebz!
Photobucket
 
R-Star's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Clive
Age: 31
Posts: 44,673
Mentioned: 150 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2511 Post(s)
Re: No League for Old Men

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
Again, please go back and read the posts. I could re quote your posts and my replies, explaining where how asinine this all is, and how your "theory" is ridiculous, but do I really have to?

I should go back and read all the posts you skipped? You just read the first post an hour ago, right?



It's the average length of the careers of the current NBA players. You're confounding yourself.



Those are mistakes. So what? I misquoted the chart and I incorrectly thought Chris Paul was a one and done.



Go ahead. I'm waiting.
You do understand that I'm the only one posting with you because no one else finds you bullshit worth their time right?

You come in here, saying the leagues never been younger (it has), that careers have never been shorter (they have), like its some kind of epidemic (it isn't). I used the numbers you yourself posted to show any variance is small, and that the league has actually been very static for the 20 year period you showed.

I'm sitting here almost upset with myself that I've wasted time posting with a guy who says things like "Guys like Norris Cole make Chris Paul irrelevant."

There aren't even Heat fans coming in here to agree with you. That is how utterly stupid your posts have been in this thread.

Luckily this is the first time you've made a thread and had the whole community jump down your throat though right? Oh, you mean this happens to you all the time? Oh well, at the end of the day as long as you know you're right and everyone else in the world is stupid, who cares right?
__________________
R-Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 03:03 PM   #112 (permalink)
King of the Interwebz!
Photobucket
 
R-Star's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Clive
Age: 31
Posts: 44,673
Mentioned: 150 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2511 Post(s)
Re: No League for Old Men

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperion View Post
With the 20 year sample you provided, the average experience is 4.45years with a standard deviation of 0.38years. 70% of all samples fall within 4.83 - 4.07 years of experience. 2008 is no different.

The average age varies one standard deviation from 27.63 - 26.79.

The data you've provided does nothing other than to show that the age remains the same in the league.

EDIT: I didn't feel like doing a t-test
Hmmmmm. You aren't Canadian. I wonder if he will respect the numbers you posted.
__________________
R-Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 03:03 PM   #113 (permalink)
BBB.net archivist
Photobucket
 
Jamel Irief's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2002
Location: SoCal
Age: 97
Posts: 24,904
Mentioned: 105 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1731 Post(s)
Re: No League for Old Men

I dont think mods should be calling posters rednecks. Why have mods if they'll do that? What do they moderate?

Adam is 25 anyways, he's done in about 3 years. We can just make that kid that keeps posting about the heat and Derrick Rose mod.
__________________
Jamel Irief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 03:03 PM   #114 (permalink)
King of the Interwebz!
Photobucket
 
R-Star's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Clive
Age: 31
Posts: 44,673
Mentioned: 150 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2511 Post(s)
Re: No League for Old Men

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
You're taking the mean of means and I already said that the data is becoming more like the earlier time points. Of course the '80's points shift the mean but if you just look at the trends then you can see the league is getting younger. All you're stating is that it's not significantly different than it was including the past 20 years. Which I've consistently said. I said it's getting more like it was 20 years ago.

But on top of that the current trend hasn't bottomed out yet. I've heard that career length is below four years now and it's still going lower. Players are even younger today than they were in 2008.
Nope. Guess he won't.

Sorry Hyperion.
__________________
R-Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 03:08 PM   #115 (permalink)
Tangible
 
Adam's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2003
Age: 28
Posts: 13,515
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 403 Post(s)
Re: No League for Old Men

Quote:
Originally Posted by R-Star View Post
Hmmmmm. You aren't Canadian. I wonder if he will respect the numbers you posted.
Why wouldn't I respect his numbers? They don't go against anything I've said. I said that 2008 was the lowest in 20 years, meaning it reflects earlier timepoints. Obviously it would be within standard deviation.

What I did say was that today's average career is less than four years and players are younger than ever. He told you the mean and the standard deviation. < 4.00 is outside the standard deviation range of 4.07 so the career length today is in fact significantly shorter today than it has ever been. Which was my "theory."
__________________


Quote:
Jeremy Tyler was in Portland for a pre-draft workout on Thursday and was asked about Blazers coach Nate McMillan. “Nate McMillan,” he said. “No … What college is that?”
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 03:09 PM   #116 (permalink)
King of the Interwebz!
Photobucket
 
R-Star's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Clive
Age: 31
Posts: 44,673
Mentioned: 150 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2511 Post(s)
Re: No League for Old Men

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamel Irief View Post
I dont think mods should be calling posters rednecks. Why have mods if they'll do that? What do they moderate?

Adam is 25 anyways, he's done in about 3 years. We can just make that kid that keeps posting about the heat and Derrick Rose mod.
Why trade for an Adam when I can draft a Timmy?
__________________
R-Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 03:10 PM   #117 (permalink)
Tangible
 
Adam's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2003
Age: 28
Posts: 13,515
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 403 Post(s)
Re: No League for Old Men

Quote:
Originally Posted by R-Star View Post
Why trade for an Adam when I can draft a Timmy?
Serious question, weren't you done with this board? I remember something you wrote around Christmas.
__________________


Quote:
Jeremy Tyler was in Portland for a pre-draft workout on Thursday and was asked about Blazers coach Nate McMillan. “Nate McMillan,” he said. “No … What college is that?”
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 03:12 PM   #118 (permalink)
King of the Interwebz!
Photobucket
 
R-Star's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Clive
Age: 31
Posts: 44,673
Mentioned: 150 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2511 Post(s)
Re: No League for Old Men

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
Why wouldn't I respect his numbers? They don't go against anything I've said. I said that 2008 was the lowest in 20 years, meaning it reflects earlier timepoints. Obviously it would be within standard deviation.

What I did say was that today's average career is less than four years and players are younger than ever. He told you the mean and the standard deviation. < 4.00 is outside the standard deviation range of 4.07 so the career length today is in fact significantly shorter today than it has ever been. Which was my "theory."
I only have to go one sentance in and its already wrong. 2008 was not the lowest in 20 years

Where is the formula showing Chris Paul is no Norris Cole?
__________________
R-Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 03:13 PM   #119 (permalink)
King of the Interwebz!
Photobucket
 
R-Star's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Clive
Age: 31
Posts: 44,673
Mentioned: 150 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2511 Post(s)
Re: No League for Old Men

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
Serious question, weren't you done with this board? I remember something you wrote around Christmas.
I came back for the utter joy of posting with guys like you.
__________________
R-Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 03:14 PM   #120 (permalink)
Tangible
 
Adam's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2003
Age: 28
Posts: 13,515
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 403 Post(s)
Re: No League for Old Men

Quote:
Originally Posted by R-Star View Post
Where is the formula showing Chris Paul is no Norris Cole?
This was addressed earlier in the thread. The thread you didn't read.
__________________


Quote:
Jeremy Tyler was in Portland for a pre-draft workout on Thursday and was asked about Blazers coach Nate McMillan. “Nate McMillan,” he said. “No … What college is that?”
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:03 AM.



User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright © 2002 — 2013 BasketballBoards.net.

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1