Best Player to Wear #3? - Page 6 - Basketball Forum : Professional and College Basketball Forums
BasketballForum.com is the premier basketball Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
View Poll Results: Best Player To Wear #3?
Allen Iverson 9 23.68%
Chris Paul 4 10.53%
Dwyane Wade 22 57.89%
Ben Wallace 1 2.63%
Dale Ellis 0 0%
Other (Please Specify) 2 5.26%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-27-2012, 03:15 PM   #76 (permalink)
All-Star
 
e-monk's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 7,925
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 452 Post(s)
Re: Best Player to Wear #3?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattsanity View Post
LOL I'm sure the average person knows who Bo Derek is.
you do right? are you so special?
e-monk is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 12-27-2012, 03:20 PM   #77 (permalink)
Star
 
Mattsanity's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Toronto
Age: 25
Posts: 4,431
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Re: Best Player to Wear #3?

Quote:
Originally Posted by e-monk View Post
nope, sorry - you have now been disqualified from further contributions

it's not close, not debatable, not even a little bit - one guy was the best player in the league on the best team in the league who dominated the league like no one since Wilt

and the other was a ball hog who shot a lot on a team built to let him do it that wouldnt have been good enough to get into let alone out of the second round in the west

SO 29ppg 12.7rpg 3.7apg 2.8bpg PER 30.2 TS% .574 efg .572 WS% 14.9

AI 31ppg 3.8rpg 4.6apg 2.5spg PER 24.0 TS% .518 efg .447 WS% 11.8

even without the clearly dominant efficiency numbers Shaq simply had better stats, was the better player on a better team - it was a travesty and any clear headed unbiased individual with knowledge of the game will tell you so
I still say it's debatable but you can go ahead and believe your opinion as fact. That's fine with me.

With that being said, you would probably deny AI into the hall of fame. he must've done something to your favorite team or player back in the day.
Mattsanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 03:21 PM   #78 (permalink)
Werewolf Bar Mitzvah
Photobucket
 
Hyperion's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: 602
Posts: 18,744
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 262 Post(s)
Re: Best Player to Wear #3?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattsanity View Post
LOL I'm sure the average person knows who Bo Derek is.
Everyone knows who Bo is. Bo knows baseball. Bo knows football.
__________________
"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain...."

"The light that burns twice as bright burns for half as long - and you have burned so very, very brightly"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam*Ron View Post
Anyway, gotta get back to the money. Holla at you lames another day.
Hyperion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 03:23 PM   #79 (permalink)
Star
 
Mattsanity's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Toronto
Age: 25
Posts: 4,431
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Re: Best Player to Wear #3?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperion View Post
Everyone knows who Bo is. Bo knows baseball. Bo knows football.
sorry man but I don't get your pun.
Mattsanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 03:24 PM   #80 (permalink)
Werewolf Bar Mitzvah
Photobucket
 
Hyperion's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: 602
Posts: 18,744
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 262 Post(s)
Re: Best Player to Wear #3?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollWithEm View Post
"They even put a zone in the league to try to stop him."

You know what's sad? This rap feels like a freeflow but he actually wrote this rap down and did drafts. This was the best version.
__________________
"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain...."

"The light that burns twice as bright burns for half as long - and you have burned so very, very brightly"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam*Ron View Post
Anyway, gotta get back to the money. Holla at you lames another day.
Hyperion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 03:26 PM   #81 (permalink)
Werewolf Bar Mitzvah
Photobucket
 
Hyperion's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: 602
Posts: 18,744
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 262 Post(s)
Re: Best Player to Wear #3?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattsanity View Post
sorry man but I don't get your pun.
__________________
"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain...."

"The light that burns twice as bright burns for half as long - and you have burned so very, very brightly"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam*Ron View Post
Anyway, gotta get back to the money. Holla at you lames another day.
Hyperion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 03:26 PM   #82 (permalink)
All-Star
 
e-monk's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 7,925
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 452 Post(s)
Re: Best Player to Wear #3?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattsanity View Post
I still say it's debatable but you can go ahead and believe your opinion as fact. That's fine with me.

With that being said, you would probably deny AI into the hall of fame. he must've done something to your favorite team or player back in the day.
my opinion of AI: he's not better than Wade (the point of this thread), I dont get the influence thing, he was the face of olympic futility but he probably has HoF cred - but so do guys like Dantley or English who spent their careers putting up points and not much else (and did it with a lot less chucking than AI did) - there is room in the hall for scorers but to claim that he was anything more? nope

and personally his playing made me sick - just the worst kind of anti-team me first chucking but if that's your thing then cool

as for my opinion vis the MVP question sure, it's supported by facts but not to be confused with the same thing - maybe you can look at those stat comparisons or the roles both players had in their team's success and make some kind of twisted argument to the contrary but my brain just isnt up to that kind of tortuous (il)logic
e-monk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 03:40 PM   #83 (permalink)
BBB.net archivist
Photobucket
 
Jamel Irief's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2002
Location: SoCal
Age: 97
Posts: 24,911
Mentioned: 105 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1735 Post(s)
Re: Best Player to Wear #3?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Najee View Post
Even if you're going by the argument that Allen Iverson's game and persona somehow translated well with streetball-type players, he wasn't the first by any means.

I mean, unless you were 10 years old in the mid-1990s and didn't associate that style with Julius Erving, Tiny Archibald, Earl "The Pearl" Monroe and numerous others who actually played in that environment. And yes, those guys had the swagger (albeit in a much more positive fashion than Iverson).

Just say Iverson "was the first NBA I can recall in my life who looked like the hoodrat on the corner" and leave it at that. But let's not try to make him out to be some sort of revolutionary in that respect.
It's not a Najee post without him somehow mentioning how old he is. Well buddy, hate to point this out to you but I'm 95. See my profile.

The players of the 70s were street, and the NBA wasn't mainstream back then. The league became mainstream in the 80's, and Iverson was the first guy that was a superstar without conforming to what white America felt a black man should look and act like.

Just like Snoop wasn't the first gangster rapper, but he might of been the first one to blend in well with white america.
__________________
Jamel Irief is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 03:50 PM   #84 (permalink)
Veteran
 
Najee's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 2,189
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Re: Best Player to Wear #3?

Allen Iverson, Adrian Dantley and Alex English were more than "just scorers" -- they were scorers at a level few players in NBA history could match. In Iverson's case, he did it for an exceptionally long period (he averaged at least 24.8 points per game for 12 straight years) in addition to the volume. Again, you're talking fairly rare area in a major category.

Iverson wasn't totally one-dimensional. He played the passing lanes well (he led the NBA in steals for three straight seasons and averaged 2.2 steals per game for his career). He got to the free-throw line at an incredibly high clip for a guy his size (he averaged 8.9 free throw attempts per game for his career). Despite his style of play, he did average 6.2 assists per game for his career. He was an all-NBA player for seven seasons. Again, we're talking about a perennial top-level player during his run.

The problem is in this comparison, where he is going up against a player who can be considered his equal in Dwayne Wade but with far less baggage. With all things being equal, I'm choosing Wade because he can bring the productivity Iverson could but with more efficiency and you're not resorting to building a team of role players around him because of his style of play/ego.
__________________
And when the groove is dead and gone, you know that love survives and we'll rock forever.
Najee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 03:54 PM   #85 (permalink)
Veteran
 
Najee's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 2,189
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Re: Best Player to Wear #3?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamel Irief View Post
The players of the 70s were street, and the NBA wasn't mainstream back then. The league became mainstream in the 80's, and Iverson was the first guy that was a superstar without conforming to what white America felt a black man should look and act like.
That's funny. I don't recall white America sending memos telling Clyde Frazier, Julius Erving and Michael Jordan how they should look and act like. I also didn't know Allen Iverson was a definition of "what a black man should look and act like (which in Iverson's case, was a hairstyle that was becoming popularized again because of former prisoners)."

But maybe that's your point. The "nonconforming black man" in your opinion has a defined look. Because it's evident you've mistaken a fashion statement (one popularized in the criminal justice system) for militancy. In reality, you're defining players by some vague definition of what is a "standard" by another racial group.
__________________
And when the groove is dead and gone, you know that love survives and we'll rock forever.

Last edited by Najee; 12-28-2012 at 06:01 AM.
Najee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 03:54 PM   #86 (permalink)
All-Star
 
e-monk's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 7,925
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 452 Post(s)
Re: Best Player to Wear #3?

Wade at his peak was just a better player - just as explosive an offensive player, just as capable of getting to the line, much better defender, much better teammate
e-monk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 03:56 PM   #87 (permalink)
All-Star
 
e-monk's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 7,925
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 452 Post(s)
Re: Best Player to Wear #3?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Najee View Post
That's funny... ...was a definition of what you define as "what a black man should look and act like (which in Iverson's case, was a hairstyle that was first popularized by a hot blond woman in a dudley moore film)."

But maybe that's your point. The "nonconforming black man" in your opinion has a defined look. Because it's evident you're mistaken a fashion statement for militancy.
ftfy
e-monk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 04:08 PM   #88 (permalink)
Star
 
Mattsanity's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Toronto
Age: 25
Posts: 4,431
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Re: Best Player to Wear #3?

Quote:
Originally Posted by e-monk View Post
my opinion of AI: he's not better than Wade (the point of this thread), I dont get the influence thing, he was the face of olympic futility but he probably has HoF cred - but so do guys like Dantley or English who spent their careers putting up points and not much else (and did it with a lot less chucking than AI did) - there is room in the hall for scorers but to claim that he was anything more? nope

and personally his playing made me sick - just the worst kind of anti-team me first chucking but if that's your thing then cool

as for my opinion vis the MVP question sure, it's supported by facts but not to be confused with the same thing - maybe you can look at those stat comparisons or the roles both players had in their team's success and make some kind of twisted argument to the contrary but my brain just isnt up to that kind of tortuous (il)logic
you can show off advanced stats, but what's done is done. Steve nash didn't even make top 10 in player efficiency and he still won mvp both seasons, but that's a different topic.
Mattsanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 04:20 PM   #89 (permalink)
Veteran
 
Najee's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 2,189
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Re: Best Player to Wear #3?

Bo Derek wore braids, not cornrows:



And even then, that's a hairstyle was popularized way before she wore them in "10."
__________________
And when the groove is dead and gone, you know that love survives and we'll rock forever.
Najee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 04:23 PM   #90 (permalink)
All-Star
 
e-monk's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 7,925
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 452 Post(s)
Re: Best Player to Wear #3?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattsanity View Post
you can show off advanced stats, but what's done is done. Steve nash didn't even make top 10 in player efficiency and he still won mvp both seasons, but that's a different topic.
it's exactly the same topic - Nash wasnt the best player in the league but at least you could make the argument that he made his teammates better, that's not an AI argument you should try to make to someone drinking a glass of water unless you want to see a spit take
e-monk is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:21 AM.



User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 2002 2013 BasketballBoards.net.

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1