If Mike D'Antoni is such an offensive genius.... - Page 7 - Basketball Forum : Professional and College Basketball Forums
BasketballForum.com is the premier basketball Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
User Tag List

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2013, 04:47 PM   #91 (permalink)
Vlade Divac's biggest fan
 
XxIrvingxX's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 4,753
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 240 Post(s)
Rep Power: 472331
XxIrvingxX has disabled reputation
Re: If Mike D'Antoni is such an offensive genius....

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBKB View Post
Kobe passes more than enough times? What's next, pigs fly? : )
Yes, he passes more than enough times. There was a time when Kobe was a ball chucker, but those times have passed. The fact that he doesn't shoot when ever he gets the ball is more than enough in terms of passing.






Quote:
Originally Posted by JBKB View Post
Defense is overrated! Offense is far more important than defense. The greatest players to ever play the game are known for what: offense or defense? : ) lol
First off, offense is not more important than defense. I'm not even going to bother explaining why, that's just basic common sense. Second, the greatest players to ever play the game weren't just good on offense. Michael Jordan was regarded by many as one of the best defensive guards ever. Tim Duncan is said to be the best power forward ever. But he wasn't just good offensively or with rebounds, he was also a terrific defender and he still is. Hell he has 5 blocks in a game that is in the second quarter right now as I'm typing this. Bill Russell is known by many as the greatest defender in NBA history, and he's on many peoples top ten lists for best NBA players ever.

So it goes both ways. Some people are known for their offense, some are known for their defense, and some are simply known for both.
__________________
Cleveland Cavaliers NBA Legends Draft Team

PG: Derrick Rose/Norm Van Lier
SG: Joe Dumars/Hal Greer
SF: Dan Majerle/Jamal Mashburn
PF: Karl Malone/Zach Randolph
C: David Robinson/Herb Williams

Coach: Chuck Daly

Quote:
Originally Posted by R-Star View Post
The next time Kyrie tries to hero ball Lebron will dropkick him in the throat.
XxIrvingxX is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 01-13-2013, 08:33 PM   #92 (permalink)
Better Call Saul
Photobucket
 
Luke's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 13,175
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Rep Power: 4521854
Luke has a reputation beyond repute Luke has a reputation beyond repute Luke has a reputation beyond repute Luke has a reputation beyond repute Luke has a reputation beyond repute Luke has a reputation beyond repute Luke has a reputation beyond repute Luke has a reputation beyond repute Luke has a reputation beyond repute Luke has a reputation beyond repute Luke has a reputation beyond repute
Hakeem, Duncan, and Russell are all top ten players that were better defenders than offensive players. Literally everyone on that list is above average to great on that side with the exception of magic/bird and they're the best two offensive players ever at their position.


Sent from my iPhone using Verticalsports.com Free App
__________________
Formerly VanillaPrice
Luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 11:46 PM   #93 (permalink)
Player
 

Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 500
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Rep Power: 0
JBKB Basel JBKB Basel JBKB Basel JBKB Basel JBKB Basel JBKB Basel JBKB Basel JBKB Basel JBKB Basel JBKB Basel JBKB Basel
Re: If Mike D'Antoni is such an offensive genius....

I disagree with you all about defense being very important.

As I write this post, the average amount of points scored for all teams is 98 points per game. The highest scoring team (OKC)is only 7 points above that average: 105.69 ppg, and the lowest scoring team (WASHINGTON)is only 9 points below that average: 89.35 ppg.

If defense is so great, then we should see teams who are able to hold teams down to 40 points per game. Rarely, if ever, will that happen. Even the worst teams in the NBA are averaging over 90 points per game. In fact, 29 of 30 teams average more than 90 points per game, and the Wizards is the only team averaging under 90 points, and BARELY under 90 points with their 89.35 ppg.

Offense is far superior and more important!
JBKB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 12:55 AM   #94 (permalink)
The Jurassic Period
Photobucket
 
Jace's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Miami/Raleigh
Age: 28
Posts: 20,315
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Rep Power: 2705923
Jace has a reputation beyond repute Jace has a reputation beyond repute Jace has a reputation beyond repute Jace has a reputation beyond repute Jace has a reputation beyond repute Jace has a reputation beyond repute Jace has a reputation beyond repute Jace has a reputation beyond repute Jace has a reputation beyond repute Jace has a reputation beyond repute Jace has a reputation beyond repute
Re: If Mike D'Antoni is such an offensive genius....

Oh my god.

I'm too tired. Maybe tomorrow.
__________________
Jace's soundcloud
Jace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 01:29 AM   #95 (permalink)
Not Yet
 
Drizzy's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 23,237
Mentioned: 212 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 487 Post(s)
Rep Power: 597447
Drizzy has a reputation beyond repute Drizzy has a reputation beyond repute Drizzy has a reputation beyond repute Drizzy has a reputation beyond repute Drizzy has a reputation beyond repute Drizzy has a reputation beyond repute Drizzy has a reputation beyond repute Drizzy has a reputation beyond repute Drizzy has a reputation beyond repute Drizzy has a reputation beyond repute Drizzy has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBKB View Post
I disagree with you all about defense being very important.

As I write this post, the average amount of points scored for all teams is 98 points per game. The highest scoring team (OKC)is only 7 points above that average: 105.69 ppg, and the lowest scoring team (WASHINGTON)is only 9 points below that average: 89.35 ppg.

If defense is so great, then we should see teams who are able to hold teams down to 40 points per game. Rarely, if ever, will that happen. Even the worst teams in the NBA are averaging over 90 points per game. In fact, 29 of 30 teams average more than 90 points per game, and the Wizards is the only team averaging under 90 points, and BARELY under 90 points with their 89.35 ppg.

Offense is far superior and more important!
You just proved the opposite point. The fact that even bad teams score 90 PPG shows that the difference between good and bad teams is not just, or even mainly, offence.


Sent from my iPhone using Verticalsports.com Free App
__________________

KVBL Champion: 2035, 2036, 2037, 2038, and 2039 (V3.5 Vancouver Lions)
FRSL Champion: 2014 (V4 Miami Heat), 2016 & 2017 (V3 Indiana Pacers)
MPT: We few, we happy few, we band of brothers.
Drizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 01:30 AM   #96 (permalink)
Not Yet
 
Drizzy's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 23,237
Mentioned: 212 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 487 Post(s)
Rep Power: 597447
Drizzy has a reputation beyond repute Drizzy has a reputation beyond repute Drizzy has a reputation beyond repute Drizzy has a reputation beyond repute Drizzy has a reputation beyond repute Drizzy has a reputation beyond repute Drizzy has a reputation beyond repute Drizzy has a reputation beyond repute Drizzy has a reputation beyond repute Drizzy has a reputation beyond repute Drizzy has a reputation beyond repute
My favorite part was when he said we should see teams getting shut down to 40 points per game.


Sent from my iPhone using Verticalsports.com Free App
__________________

KVBL Champion: 2035, 2036, 2037, 2038, and 2039 (V3.5 Vancouver Lions)
FRSL Champion: 2014 (V4 Miami Heat), 2016 & 2017 (V3 Indiana Pacers)
MPT: We few, we happy few, we band of brothers.
Drizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 05:17 AM   #97 (permalink)
Player
 

Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 500
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Rep Power: 0
JBKB Basel JBKB Basel JBKB Basel JBKB Basel JBKB Basel JBKB Basel JBKB Basel JBKB Basel JBKB Basel JBKB Basel JBKB Basel
Re: If Mike D'Antoni is such an offensive genius....

WOW! As much of a horrible player I think Dwight Howard is, he just said something so obvious, but remarkable and relevant to this thread. When interviewed about how they were able to play so well against the Cavaliers, his reply included:

"Everbody touched the ball and that's the reason we had a blowout."

Ok, this is a strong statement if you really analyze it. I personally think he is calling out Kobe indirectly. For "everyone to touch the ball", Kobe has to be less selfish. : ) Therefore, we haven't seen D'Antoni's offense in full effect because of the great, but greedy Kobe Bryant. : )
JBKB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 05:33 AM   #98 (permalink)
All-Star
 
e-monk's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 7,384
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Rep Power: 3306424
e-monk has a reputation beyond repute e-monk has a reputation beyond repute e-monk has a reputation beyond repute e-monk has a reputation beyond repute e-monk has a reputation beyond repute e-monk has a reputation beyond repute e-monk has a reputation beyond repute e-monk has a reputation beyond repute e-monk has a reputation beyond repute e-monk has a reputation beyond repute e-monk has a reputation beyond repute
Re: If Mike D'Antoni is such an offensive genius....

so is it your position that the fact that Dwight is taking 11 shots a game this year as opposed to 13 shots last year the reason he's not able to comfortably dunk the ball or make that second bounce?
e-monk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 05:58 AM   #99 (permalink)
Player
 

Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 500
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Rep Power: 0
JBKB Basel JBKB Basel JBKB Basel JBKB Basel JBKB Basel JBKB Basel JBKB Basel JBKB Basel JBKB Basel JBKB Basel JBKB Basel
Re: If Mike D'Antoni is such an offensive genius....

Quote:
Originally Posted by e-monk View Post
so is it your position that the fact that Dwight is taking 11 shots a game this year as opposed to 13 shots last year the reason he's not able to comfortably dunk the ball or make that second bounce?
No. My position is that Kobe Bean Bryant is hindering the success of his own team this year with his attempt to inflate his stats for personal gain at the expense of his team.

I have seen him take too many low-percentage risky shots for his own personal gain instead of passing for a less risky shot.

If I were Mike D'Antoni I would tell Kobe this:

"Kobe, I have a system that can very well put us in position to win a championship, but it requires you to take fewer shots. Now you're our franchise player, so I will work with you. If you want to continue taking as many shots as you do, then I expect you to shoot higher than your 45.4% career fg average. I expect you to shoot 70% from the field if you want to continue dominating the ball each game. If you can't put up those numbers, then I expect you to take fewer shots and play more of a team game."
JBKB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 06:09 AM   #100 (permalink)
Limehouse Blues
Photobucket
 
Diable's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 25,837
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 627 Post(s)
Rep Power: 15023783
Diable has a reputation beyond repute Diable has a reputation beyond repute Diable has a reputation beyond repute Diable has a reputation beyond repute Diable has a reputation beyond repute Diable has a reputation beyond repute Diable has a reputation beyond repute Diable has a reputation beyond repute Diable has a reputation beyond repute Diable has a reputation beyond repute Diable has a reputation beyond repute
Re: If Mike D'Antoni is such an offensive genius....

We need something like a facepalm gif for people who that shit is stupid.
__________________
Diable is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 06:10 AM   #101 (permalink)
All-Star
 
e-monk's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 7,384
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Rep Power: 3306424
e-monk has a reputation beyond repute e-monk has a reputation beyond repute e-monk has a reputation beyond repute e-monk has a reputation beyond repute e-monk has a reputation beyond repute e-monk has a reputation beyond repute e-monk has a reputation beyond repute e-monk has a reputation beyond repute e-monk has a reputation beyond repute e-monk has a reputation beyond repute e-monk has a reputation beyond repute
Re: If Mike D'Antoni is such an offensive genius....

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBKB View Post
No. My position is that Kobe Bean Bryant is hindering the success of his own team this year with his attempt to inflate his stats for personal gain at the expense of his team.
look you're new to this site but it's pretty clear what your agenda is - the problem with your conjecture is that Kobe is being more efficient this season than he ever has been, and that Howard's public beefing has previously been about defense not offense

add to that the fact that the Lakers by most measures are a top 5 offensive squad as it stands despite Nash missing 20 ggames

and that Howard though still recovering from injury is only getting 2 less touches playing with Pau, Metta, Kobe and Nash than he was getting last season when he was playing with curly, manny and mo

and you seem to be manufacturing nonsense solely to support your biases
e-monk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 06:25 AM   #102 (permalink)
Player
 

Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 500
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Rep Power: 0
JBKB Basel JBKB Basel JBKB Basel JBKB Basel JBKB Basel JBKB Basel JBKB Basel JBKB Basel JBKB Basel JBKB Basel JBKB Basel
Re: If Mike D'Antoni is such an offensive genius....

Quote:
Originally Posted by e-monk View Post
look you're new to this site but it's pretty clear what your agenda is
Please tell me my agenda here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by e-monk View Post
and you seem to be manufacturing nonsense solely to support your biases
Saying Kobe is a selfish player is nonsense? : ) I don't have any biases. I'm a fair person. If Kobe's selfish play generates wins, then fewer people would complain. If his selfish play is generating losses, then Kobe should ignore inflating his stats, and instead pass the ball to the open teammate.

Kobe misses too many shots. If Kobe stops trying to be number one in scoring, then the Lakers may actually start winning. How many times have game analysts posted "When Kobe scores X-many points, the Lakers lose this many times." : )
JBKB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 06:28 AM   #103 (permalink)
All-Star
 
e-monk's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 7,384
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Rep Power: 3306424
e-monk has a reputation beyond repute e-monk has a reputation beyond repute e-monk has a reputation beyond repute e-monk has a reputation beyond repute e-monk has a reputation beyond repute e-monk has a reputation beyond repute e-monk has a reputation beyond repute e-monk has a reputation beyond repute e-monk has a reputation beyond repute e-monk has a reputation beyond repute e-monk has a reputation beyond repute
Re: If Mike D'Antoni is such an offensive genius....

so we just ignore all the facts I posted and counter argue with empty rhetoric? can I take a guess as to your political affiliations?
e-monk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 07:26 AM   #104 (permalink)
Player
 

Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 500
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Rep Power: 0
JBKB Basel JBKB Basel JBKB Basel JBKB Basel JBKB Basel JBKB Basel JBKB Basel JBKB Basel JBKB Basel JBKB Basel JBKB Basel
Re: If Mike D'Antoni is such an offensive genius....

Quote:
Originally Posted by e-monk View Post
so we just ignore all the facts I posted and counter argue with empty rhetoric? can I take a guess as to your political affiliations?
Oh, I haven't ignored any of your posts. I've read them, but simply disagree and allowed you to have your opinion about why you feel the Lakers are behind.

I've already expressed that Kobe is the reason for the Lakers' failure, and I am convinced that he is the main root of their struggles. Some people agree with me, others don't. : )

Nonetheless, I would be very interested in knowing what factors show that this is Kobe's most efficient season. Also, what qualifications are needed for a team be considered among the top five offensive teams?
JBKB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 11:53 AM   #105 (permalink)
Vlade Divac's biggest fan
 
XxIrvingxX's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 4,753
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 240 Post(s)
Rep Power: 472331
XxIrvingxX has disabled reputation
Re: If Mike D'Antoni is such an offensive genius....

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBKB View Post
As I write this post, the average amount of points scored for all teams is 98 points per game. The highest scoring team (OKC)is only 7 points above that average: 105.69 ppg, and the lowest scoring team (WASHINGTON)is only 9 points below that average: 89.35 ppg.

If defense is so great, then we should see teams who are able to hold teams down to 40 points per game. Rarely, if ever, will that happen. Even the worst teams in the NBA are averaging over 90 points per game. In fact, 29 of 30 teams average more than 90 points per game, and the Wizards is the only team averaging under 90 points, and BARELY under 90 points with their 89.35 ppg.
How does this prove that offense is more important???
__________________
Cleveland Cavaliers NBA Legends Draft Team

PG: Derrick Rose/Norm Van Lier
SG: Joe Dumars/Hal Greer
SF: Dan Majerle/Jamal Mashburn
PF: Karl Malone/Zach Randolph
C: David Robinson/Herb Williams

Coach: Chuck Daly

Quote:
Originally Posted by R-Star View Post
The next time Kyrie tries to hero ball Lebron will dropkick him in the throat.
XxIrvingxX is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:27 PM.



User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 2002 2013 BasketballBoards.net.

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1