If Mike D'Antoni is such an offensive genius.... - Page 9 - Basketball Forum : Professional and College Basketball Forums
BasketballForum.com is the premier basketball Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
User Tag List

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2013, 07:00 PM   #121 (permalink)
Snapping Necks and Cashing Checks
Photobucket
 
King Sancho Fantastic's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Riverside, California
Age: 30
Posts: 11,069
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Re: If Mike D'Antoni is such an offensive genius....

__________________




Rumble, young man, rumble...
King Sancho Fantastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 01-16-2013, 07:02 PM   #122 (permalink)
Limehouse Blues
Photobucket
 
Diable's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 26,178
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 688 Post(s)
Re: If Mike D'Antoni is such an offensive genius....

__________________
Diable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 07:20 PM   #123 (permalink)
Look at your favorite team, now back to mine, mine is better. Deal with it.
 
XxIrvingxX's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 4,922
Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Re: If Mike D'Antoni is such an offensive genius....

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBKB View Post
Well, I continue to believe that defense is overrated, and in most cases a waste of precious time. I believe coaches should direct more attention on offense, perhaps 80% offense/20% defense, or even 85% offense/15% defense.
Wait what? So you're telling me that if you're an amazing offensive team and you've got all the tools that you need, but your guys aren't playing any defense and you're losing games because of it, that shouldn't matter and you should just keep working on offense?? Where is the logic in that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBKB View Post
The beauty of offense is that your options are almost unlimited, which I'll try to explain later in this post. Defense is LIMITED. The NBA probably has far more rules and restrictions on defense than they do on offense.
So how does having more options with offense make that better? There's a reason there's only a small amount of options with defense, and why is this? Because they usually work! You don't usually need to change your defense up, you just have to tell the players to work harder, that's the beauty of defense. With offense you have to actually think of ways to help make your players flow together.

And rules and restrictions don't apply in an argument like this. Again, these are pros. They know how to adjust to things like this. You should know this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBKB View Post
On defense, the slightest contact is whistled as foul. You have the defensive 3-second to watch out for, you have so many restrictions on the extent to which you can screen, etc.
That's funny, that sounds an awful lot like offense. In fact, watch this.

Quote:
On offense, the slightest contact is whistled as foul. You have the offensive 3-second to watch out for, you have so many restrictions on the extent to which you can screen, etc.
See what I just did there?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBKB View Post
Offense has very few limitations: Don't run out of bounds with the ball, no charging, don't travel, and a few more that are simple to control.
I'm sorry, how does any of this prove your point? What are you trying to argue? That because there's more fouls on defense, that simply means offense is better? Do you know anything at all about basketball?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBKB View Post
What if players took half-court shots, and hit them consistently? That alone makes defense nearly obsolete.
No it doesn't, because one, that's nearly impossible (again, stop using unrealistic situations to support your arguments, that won't get you anywhere), two, the defenders could just as easily adapt to that strategy by defending the half court game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBKB View Post
Can you imagine how well the offense would open up if players on a team could consistently hit half-court shots? Why not even set picks before you even cross the half-court line? Also, why waste so much energy trying to reach the paint? Just hit your 3-pointers consistently and drive to the paint when the opportunity is guaranteed.
There's one problem that prevents that though. DEFENSE! You see there's a problem with your logic here. You're bringing up impossible situations that have never happened before and acting like they're unstoppable, but they aren't, because defense can make those ideas ineffective. Now yea sure, good offense beats good defense at times, but anyone who actually knows the game of basketball knows that good defense will beat good offense a lot more often.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBKB View Post
Why do you even have to have a 1,2,3,4,5 spot? Why not just have all point/shooting gaurds on the floor who are excellent three-point shooters? Spread the three-point arc and take any wide open three. If no one is double-teamed, find the matchup where a guard can outrun his opponent and reach the paint with ease.
That has to be the most idiotic thing I've ever read in my life. That doesn't even deserve a response.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBKB View Post
The options for offense are unlimited. The options for defense are limited, which explains why the whistle is blown far more for defensive penalties than offensive penalties.
Again, do you know anything at all about basketball? It doesn't matter how much penalties are called, more often than not, good defense will beat good offense. It's a fact.
__________________
Cleveland Cavaliers NBA Legends Draft Team

PG: Derrick Rose/Norm Van Lier
SG: Joe Dumars/Hal Greer
SF: Dan Majerle/Jamal Mashburn
PF: Karl Malone/Zach Randolph
C: David Robinson/Herb Williams

Coach: Chuck Daly

Quote:
Originally Posted by R-Star View Post
The next time Kyrie tries to hero ball Lebron will dropkick him in the throat.
XxIrvingxX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 09:17 PM   #124 (permalink)
All-Star
 
e-monk's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 7,795
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 409 Post(s)
Re: If Mike D'Antoni is such an offensive genius....

I've figured this out - just because he knows how to type doesnt mean he knows how to read
e-monk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 08:29 AM   #125 (permalink)
Werewolf Bar Mitzvah
Photobucket
 
Hyperion's Avatar
 
Simon Champion!
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: 602
Posts: 18,717
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 260 Post(s)
Re: If Mike D'Antoni is such an offensive genius....

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBKB View Post
Well, I continue to believe that defense is overrated, and in most cases a waste of precious time. I believe coaches should direct more attention on offense, perhaps 80% offense/20% defense, or even 85% offense/15% defense.

The beauty of offense is that your options are almost unlimited, which I'll try to explain later in this post. Defense is LIMITED. The NBA probably has far more rules and restrictions on defense than they do on offense.

On defense, the slightest contact is whistled as foul. You have the defensive 3-second to watch out for, you have so many restrictions on the extent to which you can screen, etc.

Offense has very few limitations: Don't run out of bounds with the ball, no charging, don't travel, and a few more that are simple to control.

What if players took half-court shots, and hit them consistently? That alone makes defense nearly obsolete. Can you imagine how well the offense would open up if players on a team could consistently hit half-court shots? Why not even set picks before you even cross the half-court line? Also, why waste so much energy trying to reach the paint? Just hit your 3-pointers consistently and drive to the paint when the opportunity is guaranteed.

Why do you even have to have a 1,2,3,4,5 spot? Why not just have all point/shooting gaurds on the floor who are excellent three-point shooters? Spread the three-point arc and take any wide open three. If no one is double-teamed, find the matchup where a guard can outrun his opponent and reach the paint with ease.

The options for offense are unlimited. The options for defense are limited, which explains why the whistle is blown far more for defensive penalties than offensive penalties.
This is all true except for in the final 3 minutes of a game when defense wins it. It's a whole lot easier to win when you're up 1 with 10 seconds to go and all you have to do is stop them from scoring rather than trying to score being down 1 with 10 seconds to go. Even the greatest offensive players of all time don't come up more than half the time in the clutch. That is where defense wins it for you. Defense can break the other team's streak and also power a team to a win when they just aren't shooting straight.

Defensive penalties occur more often because they're trying to STOP the opponent from getting to a spot on the floor or taking a shot that they're comfortable taking. That often incurs contact.

As for the different positions, you don't understand offense when you question why position sizes exist. The purpose of a Power Forward is a player who can play face to the basket while also being one of the biggest players on the team. the Small Forward is a slasher and mid range shooter. The Shooting guard does exactly that, and slashes to the rim. The center plays in the center of the offense and acts as a pinwheel for the offense to move weak side to strong side. If he happens to be talented he will also help collapse the defense with post moves. The point guard puts the other four in the best position to score.

You don't shoot half court shots because they don't go in often enough to warrant them. On top of that you want to put pressure on the guys defending you so that they slow down and don't make as many shots because their legs are no longer underneath them on shots. On top of that, going for contact puts the good players in foul trouble and that opens up the offense to attack more easily.
__________________
"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain...."

"The light that burns twice as bright burns for half as long - and you have burned so very, very brightly"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam*Ron View Post
Anyway, gotta get back to the money. Holla at you lames another day.
Hyperion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 08:48 AM   #126 (permalink)
All-Star
 
e-monk's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 7,795
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 409 Post(s)
Re: If Mike D'Antoni is such an offensive genius....

again Lakers top 5 offense, bottom 10 defense = losing record - QED

now would someone please close the thread?
e-monk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 10:53 AM   #127 (permalink)
Look at your favorite team, now back to mine, mine is better. Deal with it.
 
XxIrvingxX's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 4,922
Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Re: If Mike D'Antoni is such an offensive genius....

Quote:
Originally Posted by e-monk View Post
again Lakers top 5 offense, bottom 10 defense = losing record - QED

now would someone please close the thread?
No, this shit is too entertaining.
__________________
Cleveland Cavaliers NBA Legends Draft Team

PG: Derrick Rose/Norm Van Lier
SG: Joe Dumars/Hal Greer
SF: Dan Majerle/Jamal Mashburn
PF: Karl Malone/Zach Randolph
C: David Robinson/Herb Williams

Coach: Chuck Daly

Quote:
Originally Posted by R-Star View Post
The next time Kyrie tries to hero ball Lebron will dropkick him in the throat.
XxIrvingxX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 11:36 AM   #128 (permalink)
Werewolf Bar Mitzvah
Photobucket
 
Hyperion's Avatar
 
Simon Champion!
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: 602
Posts: 18,717
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 260 Post(s)
Re: If Mike D'Antoni is such an offensive genius....

Quote:
Originally Posted by e-monk View Post
again Lakers top 5 offense, bottom 10 defense = losing record - QED

now would someone please close the thread?
Lakers are 21st in Defensive Efficiency while Nets are 19th in the league in Defensive Efficiency (106.7 vs 106.5 respectively).
__________________
"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain...."

"The light that burns twice as bright burns for half as long - and you have burned so very, very brightly"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam*Ron View Post
Anyway, gotta get back to the money. Holla at you lames another day.
Hyperion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 11:43 AM   #129 (permalink)
All-Star
 
e-monk's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 7,795
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 409 Post(s)
Re: If Mike D'Antoni is such an offensive genius....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperion View Post
Lakers are 21st in Defensive Efficiency while Nets are 19th in the league in Defensive Efficiency (106.7 vs 106.5 respectively).
they're also top 5 in opp points against, whereas the Lakers are bottom 5
e-monk is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:45 AM.



User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 2002 2013 BasketballBoards.net.

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1