If Mike D'Antoni is such an offensive genius.... - Basketball Forum : Professional and College Basketball Forums
BasketballForum.com is the premier basketball Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
User Tag List

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2013, 01:42 PM   #1 (permalink)
Dre
do better
Photobucket
 

Join Date: Jun 2003
Age: 26
Posts: 41,522
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
If Mike D'Antoni is such an offensive genius....

...then why is it essentially his way or the highway in regards to Pau Gasol?

You guys have probably been talking about this ad nauseum but I haven't been on here in a minute. My thing is Gasol is still capable of playing like an all-star or close to it, and to completely marginalize him because you can't manipulate your "system" to incorporate his sweet spots shows that maybe you're not an "offensive genius", just maybe a one trick pony

You look at someone like Gregg Popovich he went from a more methodical offense revolving around Tim Duncan for years, and now that Tony Parker is their best player they're taking advantage of his strengths. Any "genius" should be able to do similar. Not to say Pau is the Lakers best player or anything like that, but you know what I mean

Phil is somewhere laughing hard
Dre is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 01-06-2013, 01:46 PM   #2 (permalink)
Tangible
 
Adam's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2003
Age: 28
Posts: 13,489
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 400 Post(s)
Re: If Mike D'Antoni is such an offensive genius....

Pau struggled even when Phil was there. :gay:

I guess you don't remember the, "His girlfriend dumped him and now he's depressed!" 2011 second half of the season and playoffs. He's two years older and shittier from then.
__________________


Quote:
Jeremy Tyler was in Portland for a pre-draft workout on Thursday and was asked about Blazers coach Nate McMillan. “Nate McMillan,” he said. “No … What college is that?”
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 01:48 PM   #3 (permalink)
Will of Chilltown
 
doctordrizzay's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 3,701
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Re: If Mike D'Antoni is such an offensive genius....

It's hard to run a great offense when your "superstar" is always looking for his shot first before his teammates.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by 77AJ View Post
LeBron James just earned a new fan. Welcome to the Miami Heat Dynasty years! Hell yeah, D Wade, Bosh, and LBJ going to run the NBA for the next 5-8 years.
http://www.basketballforum.com/nba-f...s-heat-43.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by R-Star View Post
The "Drizzy found dead after the Pacers knocked Miami from the playoffs" thread will make for a ton of laughs.
A Sad Sad Sad Human Being.
doctordrizzay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 01:54 PM   #4 (permalink)
Limehouse Blues
Photobucket
 
Diable's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 26,176
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 688 Post(s)
Re: If Mike D'Antoni is such an offensive genius....

They are screwed unless Pau starts playing the way he is capable. Maybe they should get some new uniforms.


__________________
Diable is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 01:56 PM   #5 (permalink)
Dre
do better
Photobucket
 

Join Date: Jun 2003
Age: 26
Posts: 41,522
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Re: If Mike D'Antoni is such an offensive genius....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
Pau struggled even when Phil was there. :gay:

I guess you don't remember the, "His girlfriend dumped him and now he's depressed!" 2011 second half of the season and playoffs. He's two years older and shittier from then.
Not to this extent. Not to the point where Phil was basically trying to keep him off the court

He was always a shaky playoff performer anyway
Dre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 02:04 PM   #6 (permalink)
∆ ∆ ∆
Photobucket
 
Coach Fish's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 28,644
Mentioned: 872 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2658 Post(s)
Re: If Mike D'Antoni is such an offensive genius....

1. Gasol is not close to being the same players he was, I have seen him post up 3 ft away from the basket and air ball, and fail to post up Ronnie Brewer.

2. Dwight thinks he Shaq and wants to post up every time he gets an opportunity even though turns the ball over almost every time which results in fewer post ups for Pau, he also needs as much space as possible which forces Pau to try an be a stretch 4.
__________________
"Winning is the most important thing in my life,after breathing. Breathing first, winning next"-George Steinbrenner

“Challenges are for Champions.”
Coach Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 02:14 PM   #7 (permalink)
Dre
do better
Photobucket
 

Join Date: Jun 2003
Age: 26
Posts: 41,522
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
i see nothing's changed yall are still crazy

theres no excuse for it when even Kobe is saying they have to get Pau in his spots..when Dantoni and Pau are having meetings trying to resolve it

yall are playing that "hes not even close" card because he hasnt had the opportunity to really be himself on the court in a long time. i guarantee if he gets traded somewhere he fits hed jump back up to like 18 ppg on good percentages...Pau's a guy who's game feeds off his confidence level and a flow, if he gets treated like hes supposed to he'll flourish, if he doesnt he gets soft even when he does get a random opportunity in a game
Dre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 02:21 PM   #8 (permalink)
Will of Chilltown
 
doctordrizzay's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 3,701
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Re: If Mike D'Antoni is such an offensive genius....

Give the Heat Pau, and Lebron will turn him back into an All-Star in no time. Lakers can have Jones and Miller.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by 77AJ View Post
LeBron James just earned a new fan. Welcome to the Miami Heat Dynasty years! Hell yeah, D Wade, Bosh, and LBJ going to run the NBA for the next 5-8 years.
http://www.basketballforum.com/nba-f...s-heat-43.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by R-Star View Post
The "Drizzy found dead after the Pacers knocked Miami from the playoffs" thread will make for a ton of laughs.
A Sad Sad Sad Human Being.
doctordrizzay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 02:22 PM   #9 (permalink)
Dre
do better
Photobucket
 

Join Date: Jun 2003
Age: 26
Posts: 41,522
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
and you're not even really answering the question, its not about Pau not being good because D'Antoni hasn't even used him comfortably enough to be able to tell if he's good or not

why is that


Sent from my iPhone using Verticalsports.com Free App
Dre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 02:25 PM   #10 (permalink)
Legend
 
Dee-Zy's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: mtl
Posts: 11,584
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Re: If Mike D'Antoni is such an offensive genius....

I don't think Pop had ever to integrate so many stars at the same time.

Not an easy task. He's basically trying to please Kobe, Dwight and Nash and lord knows please Kobe and Dwight is two full time job in itself, nevermind coaching a team.
__________________
Social Media Marketing


Champions.
Dee-Zy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 02:40 PM   #11 (permalink)
∆ ∆ ∆
Photobucket
 
Coach Fish's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 28,644
Mentioned: 872 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2658 Post(s)
Re: If Mike D'Antoni is such an offensive genius....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dre View Post
and you're not even really answering the question, its not about Pau not being good because D'Antoni hasn't even used him comfortably enough to be able to tell if he's good or not

why is that


Sent from my iPhone using Verticalsports.com Free App
Because Dwight wants a majority of the low post touches and D'Antoni has to keep Dwight happy.
__________________
"Winning is the most important thing in my life,after breathing. Breathing first, winning next"-George Steinbrenner

“Challenges are for Champions.”
Coach Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 02:42 PM   #12 (permalink)
Tangible
 
Adam's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2003
Age: 28
Posts: 13,489
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 400 Post(s)
Re: If Mike D'Antoni is such an offensive genius....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dre View Post
i see nothing's changed yall are still crazy

theres no excuse for it when even Kobe is saying they have to get Pau in his spots..when Dantoni and Pau are having meetings trying to resolve it

yall are playing that "hes not even close" card because he hasnt had the opportunity to really be himself on the court in a long time. i guarantee if he gets traded somewhere he fits hed jump back up to like 18 ppg on good percentages...Pau's a guy who's game feeds off his confidence level and a flow, if he gets treated like hes supposed to he'll flourish, if he doesnt he gets soft even when he does get a random opportunity in a game
Kobe also said he needs to stop complaining about the system, everybody has to adjust including himself, and Pau needs to put on his big boy pants. :gay:

It's not D'Antoni out there shooting thirty-something percent on post-ups. People always just like to blame the coaches.
__________________


Quote:
Jeremy Tyler was in Portland for a pre-draft workout on Thursday and was asked about Blazers coach Nate McMillan. “Nate McMillan,” he said. “No … What college is that?”
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 02:49 PM   #13 (permalink)
Dre
do better
Photobucket
 

Join Date: Jun 2003
Age: 26
Posts: 41,522
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
Kobe also said he needs to stop complaining about the system, everybody has to adjust including himself, and Pau needs to put on his big boy pants. :gay:
those quotes were before what i referenced

Quote:
It's not D'Antoni out there shooting thirty-something percent on post-ups. People always just like to blame the coaches.
i already explained how Pau is




Sent from my iPhone using Verticalsports.com Free App
Dre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 03:09 PM   #14 (permalink)
Your Humble Homer
Photobucket
 
Seuss's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Inside a computer, touching gadgets
Age: 24
Posts: 11,083
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Re: If Mike D'Antoni is such an offensive genius....

The majority of NBA fans, including myself, anticipated that Dwight and Nash's pick-n-roll presence would dramatically change the Lakers offensive makeup, allowing a guy like Gasol to get easier points from the attention drawn by that specific play. But it hasn't. I have no idea how Howard and Nash fail to make a dynamic pick-n-roll duo, but they have failed miserably. When Nash was at his best with Amare, they were locked in for 3-4 dunks per game, just from the pick-n-roll. That has failed to transpire in lakerland, leaving D'Antoni very desperate and unsure as to how to proceed with his team. The obvious guy to pick on is Gasol, because he isn't a 'true' stretch forward. So instead of being able to adjust his offense, Mike D is just cruising along, expecting miracles to happen for Lakers.

They've got to utilize more ball movement, instead of a pick-n-roll, run-up-the-other-guys type of offense.

To answer the question, Mike D'Antoni IS a one trick pony. His results in New York, and now in LaLa Land, prove this assumption.
__________________
The Best Damn Babe Thread
Seuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 03:15 PM   #15 (permalink)
At least we have the Rockets
 
OneBadLT123's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Houston
Age: 33
Posts: 12,175
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Re: If Mike D'Antoni is such an offensive genius....

Now that Bynum is gone, Pau is now 100% the scapegoat.
OneBadLT123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:01 PM.



User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright © 2002 — 2013 BasketballBoards.net.

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1