WHY? ESPN's Lakers Playoffs Simulations! - Basketball Forum : Professional and College Basketball Forums
BasketballForum.com is the premier basketball Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
User Tag List

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2013, 11:05 AM   #1 (permalink)
Player
 

Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 500
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
WHY? ESPN's Lakers Playoffs Simulations!

Ok, ESPN has been using a program that allows them to simulate 10,000 possible outcomes of how the Lakers will finish their last 48 games as a way to determine their chances of making the playoffs.

Well, the Lakers are not the only team that are under or near 0.500. Therefore, why are they only providing the outcomes for the Lakers?
JBKB is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 01-12-2013, 11:08 AM   #2 (permalink)
King of the Interwebz!
Photobucket
 
R-Star's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Clive
Age: 31
Posts: 44,673
Mentioned: 149 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2509 Post(s)
Re: WHY? ESPN's Lakers Playoffs Simulations!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBKB View Post
Ok, ESPN has been using a program that allows them to simulate 10,000 possible outcomes of how the Lakers will finish their last 48 games as a way to determine their chances of making the playoffs.

Well, the Lakers are not the only team that are under or near 0.500. Therefore, why are they only providing the outcomes for the Lakers?
Two reasons. Its so unfathomable that they're playing so bad considering everyone pegged them as a top 3 team before the season started, and the other reason is simply that they're one of the most popular franchises in the league.
__________________
R-Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 11:37 AM   #3 (permalink)
Player
 

Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 500
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Re: WHY? ESPN's Lakers Playoffs Simulations!

"Unfathomable" : ) I'm not sure why anyone thought the Lakers would be a top 3 team after losing Andrew Bynum, and the acquisition of a non-competitive, playful Dwight Howard who childishly refuses to improve his free-throw shooting, and a sluggish 40-year-old point guard (Oh wait, Nash won't be 40 until Feb 2014 so I'm about a year off). Be realistic Lakers fans!

Nevertheless, the Lakers are a popular franchise, so I see where you are coming from in that regard.
JBKB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 11:45 AM   #4 (permalink)
King of the Interwebz!
Photobucket
 
R-Star's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Clive
Age: 31
Posts: 44,673
Mentioned: 149 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2509 Post(s)
Re: WHY? ESPN's Lakers Playoffs Simulations!

I'm not even a Laker fan, I'm a Pacers fan bro. I'm probably Dwights biggest critic on the site, but I never thought he'd be so lazy and out of focus in LA. I certainly thought he'd out produce Bynum defensively and at the very least come close to matching him on offense.


Its been a trainwreck for them.
__________________
R-Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 11:59 AM   #5 (permalink)
Tangible
 
Adam's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2003
Age: 28
Posts: 13,489
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 400 Post(s)
Re: WHY? ESPN's Lakers Playoffs Simulations!

I think they will make the playoffs. They're better than Minnesota, Portland, and Utah.
__________________


Quote:
Jeremy Tyler was in Portland for a pre-draft workout on Thursday and was asked about Blazers coach Nate McMillan. “Nate McMillan,” he said. “No … What college is that?”
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 12:11 PM   #6 (permalink)
Limehouse Blues
Photobucket
 
Diable's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 26,174
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 688 Post(s)
Re: WHY? ESPN's Lakers Playoffs Simulations!

http://espn.go.com/nba/hollinger/playoffodds

If you look at those it seems though Hollinger believes that there is only one spot left for three teams in the West. East looks a lot less credible, but similarly it seems that he believes there is one playoff spot left and a bunch of teams in the mix for it.

I don't know what to think about his methods, but basically the Lakers will need two things to happen for them to make the playoffs. They will have to start playing championship caliber ball and at least a couple of the teams ahead of them will have to play putrid ball.

To this point there's not much reason to believe that the Lakers are capable of playing incredibly well, so their biggest hope would be for those other teams to suck in a deep and profound way.
__________________
Diable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 12:21 PM   #7 (permalink)
Tangible
 
Adam's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2003
Age: 28
Posts: 13,489
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 400 Post(s)
Re: WHY? ESPN's Lakers Playoffs Simulations!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diable View Post
http://espn.go.com/nba/hollinger/playoffodds

If you look at those it seems though Hollinger believes that there is only one spot left for three teams in the West. East looks a lot less credible, but similarly it seems that he believes there is one playoff spot left and a bunch of teams in the mix for it.

I don't know what to think about his methods, but basically the Lakers will need two things to happen for them to make the playoffs. They will have to start playing championship caliber ball and at least a couple of the teams ahead of them will have to play putrid ball.

To this point there's not much reason to believe that the Lakers are capable of playing incredibly well, so their biggest hope would be for those other teams to suck in a deep and profound way.
They're really not that far back from the 8th seed. They will make it.
__________________


Quote:
Jeremy Tyler was in Portland for a pre-draft workout on Thursday and was asked about Blazers coach Nate McMillan. “Nate McMillan,” he said. “No … What college is that?”
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 12:42 PM   #8 (permalink)
Limehouse Blues
Photobucket
 
Diable's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 26,174
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 688 Post(s)
Re: WHY? ESPN's Lakers Playoffs Simulations!

Five games isn't a lot? Yeah, whatever. Portland is four games over .500 and the lakers are six games under. So long as Portland continues to play decent ball the Lakers have almost no chance. In order for them to catch them they have to have those other teams all play poorly.

Exactly how are they better than those other teams? On paper or some shit?
__________________
Diable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 12:50 PM   #9 (permalink)
Tangible
 
Adam's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2003
Age: 28
Posts: 13,489
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 400 Post(s)
Re: WHY? ESPN's Lakers Playoffs Simulations!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diable View Post
Five games isn't a lot? Yeah, whatever. Portland is four games over .500 and the lakers are six games under. So long as Portland continues to play decent ball the Lakers have almost no chance. In order for them to catch them they have to have those other teams all play poorly.

Exactly how are they better than those other teams? On paper or some shit?
Wanna bet your Django avatar they don't make it?
__________________


Quote:
Jeremy Tyler was in Portland for a pre-draft workout on Thursday and was asked about Blazers coach Nate McMillan. “Nate McMillan,” he said. “No … What college is that?”
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 01:21 PM   #10 (permalink)
6th Man
 
The Big Dipper's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 283
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Re: WHY? ESPN's Lakers Playoffs Simulations!

LOL OP is actually baffled why ESPN covers the Lakers?

Be a man just say you don't like the Lakers, no need for passive aggression.
The Big Dipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 01:26 PM   #11 (permalink)
Better Call Saul
Photobucket
 
Luke's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 13,183
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Regardless of whether we're good or not we're still going to be one of the most polarizing teams in the league. Whether that's fair or not is a different conversation entirely but espn is retarded and people should be used to this by now. I just hope that by the end of the season they're positive segments haha.


Sent from my iPhone using Verticalsports.com Free App
__________________
Formerly VanillaPrice
Luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 04:48 PM   #12 (permalink)
Legend
 
Dee-Zy's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: mtl
Posts: 11,584
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Re: WHY? ESPN's Lakers Playoffs Simulations!

5 games is not a lot. We are still in January. 5 games in march is different.
__________________
Social Media Marketing


Champions.
Dee-Zy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 04:50 PM   #13 (permalink)
King of the Interwebz!
Photobucket
 
R-Star's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Clive
Age: 31
Posts: 44,673
Mentioned: 149 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2509 Post(s)
Re: WHY? ESPN's Lakers Playoffs Simulations!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee-Zy View Post
5 games is not a lot. We are still in January. 5 games in march is different.
5 games in March means you're out of the playoffs.
__________________
R-Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 07:11 PM   #14 (permalink)
Look at your favorite team, now back to mine, mine is better. Deal with it.
 
XxIrvingxX's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 4,922
Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Re: WHY? ESPN's Lakers Playoffs Simulations!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke View Post
Regardless of whether we're good or not we're still going to be one of the most polarizing teams in the league. Whether that's fair or not is a different conversation entirely but espn is retarded and people should be used to this by now. I just hope that by the end of the season they're positive segments haha.


Sent from my iPhone using Verticalsports.com Free App
THIS
__________________
Cleveland Cavaliers NBA Legends Draft Team

PG: Derrick Rose/Norm Van Lier
SG: Joe Dumars/Hal Greer
SF: Dan Majerle/Jamal Mashburn
PF: Karl Malone/Zach Randolph
C: David Robinson/Herb Williams

Coach: Chuck Daly

Quote:
Originally Posted by R-Star View Post
The next time Kyrie tries to hero ball Lebron will dropkick him in the throat.
XxIrvingxX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 11:10 AM   #15 (permalink)
Player
 

Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 500
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Re: WHY? ESPN's Lakers Playoffs Simulations!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Dipper View Post
LOL OP is actually baffled why ESPN covers the Lakers?

Be a man just say you don't like the Lakers, no need for passive aggression.
I like the Lakers, so why would I at all say what you're suggesting?

I just think it's silly to only provide simulations for the Lakers, and not any other teams below the eight spot that mathematically have a chance to make the playoffs. Just my two cents! : )
JBKB is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:34 AM.



User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright © 2002 — 2013 BasketballBoards.net.

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1