Stupid New NBA Rule! Can someone please explain it? - Page 3 - Basketball Forum : Professional and College Basketball Forums
BasketballForum.com is the premier basketball Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
User Tag List

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2013, 07:35 PM   #31 (permalink)
6th Man
 
The Big Dipper's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 283
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Re: Stupid New NBA Rule! Can someone please explain it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBKB View Post
Ok! Can someone please explain the new two minute rule? Apparently, the hack-a-shaq strategy is no longer useful in the last two minutes of play. What exactly is this two minute rule?

Has the league been proposing this rule for many years and it's finally here, or did Stern just wake up out of bed and say "Hey, I should make a new two-minute rule." Why is this rule important this season, but not ten or fifteen seasons ago?
1343714657025.gif
The Big Dipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 01-16-2013, 12:39 PM   #32 (permalink)
Star
 
l0st1's Avatar
 
2010 Mahjong Champion! Helicopter2 Champion!
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 3,906
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Re: Stupid New NBA Rule! Can someone please explain it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Dipper View Post
repped
I , too, repped him. Purely for the ps you're dumb part.

Quote:
Originally Posted by e-monk View Post
he probably also thinks that Linebackers are horrible at football since they dont throw touchdowns
Only good players are the most popular scorers. Don't you ever second guess that!
l0st1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 01:55 PM   #33 (permalink)
All-Star
 
AllRim's Avatar
 
Tournaments Won: 1

Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Hamilton, Ontario
Age: 31
Posts: 6,980
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Re: Stupid New NBA Rule! Can someone please explain it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by l0st1 View Post
I , too, repped him. Purely for the ps you're dumb part.



Only good players are the most popular scorers. Don't you ever second guess that!
Thanks guys

AllRim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 05:00 PM   #34 (permalink)
Player
 

Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 500
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Re: Stupid New NBA Rule! Can someone please explain it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllRim View Post
Ya, not sure if this guy is trolling or if he is just on some crazy crack binge. But if he is serious, and if he thinks Bigs are only in the NBA because of their size and not because of talent, then I seriously don't think he has ever watched a single game of basketball ever.

Hakeem Olajuwon - Some of the best foot work in the History of the NBA, amazing speed, IQ and a steals machine

Griffin - Great handles and one of the most athletic players in the game

Howard - Crazy athletic

Bill Walton - Very high basketball IQ

David Robinson - great mid range game, along with amazing athletic abilities

Moses Malone - Absolute beast, great IQ

Shaq - Athletic, great speed (in his prime)

Bill Russell - Best Defensive player, amazing Defensive and Rebounding IQ

Kareem Abdul-Jabbar - unstoppable offensive game, most skilled offensive big EVER!

there are many more great bigs, but according to OP they all suck. Get your head out of your ass. Watch a couple games of basketball before you post.

And instead of asking about a so called "new rule" (which has been around for years) do some research so you don't look/sound like a complete moron.

ps. you're dumb
Nah, I still disagree with you. Bigs generally suck, most especially Shaq and Dwight. Superior height does not equal talent in my opinion. There is nothing impressive about a seven-footer who can dunk. If Nate Robinson can dunk, then I would surely hope a seven-footer could. The introduction of the slam dunk gave new life to the big men.

Main point: Most big men suck, and rely on close-to-the-rim baby shots because they know they will airball/brick anywhere else on the court.
JBKB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 05:06 PM   #35 (permalink)
Snapping Necks and Cashing Checks
Photobucket
 
King Sancho Fantastic's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Riverside, California
Age: 30
Posts: 11,058
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Re: Stupid New NBA Rule! Can someone please explain it?

__________________




Rumble, young man, rumble...
King Sancho Fantastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 05:44 PM   #36 (permalink)
Player
 

Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 500
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Re: Stupid New NBA Rule! Can someone please explain it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by l0st1 View Post
So does that mean players should be allowed to hold guys like Tony Parker and Russell Westbrook because they are too fast and they can't keep up?
I see nothing wrong with referees calling fouls on significant contact. The only problem I have is that weak contact on big men is considered a foul. Big men have it easy now that the league has softened up.


Quote:
Originally Posted by l0st1 View Post

Oh and as far as big men are horrible at basketball, where exactly do you get that from? Do you consider basketball just fancy dribbling and jumpshots?
Yes, why not. I would have lots of respect for a big who could dribble well and hit jumpshots at a much higher percentage.

As for why I think bigs are horrible: all they do is dunk/layup. That takes absolutely no skill if you ask me. They are just fortunate to be playing in a league with rules that allow them to bulldoze their way to easy baskets.

Formula for a successful BIG: Be seven feet tall; stand right next to the rim; jump three feet to dunk it. Be sure to score when fouled since you clearly suck at hitting free throws, and are too lazy to even try learning how. Keep the game simple. Just take advantage of the fact that referees won't allow anyone to defend you and dunk dunk dunk to increase your already inflated stats.
JBKB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 06:07 PM   #37 (permalink)
All-Star
 
e-monk's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 7,784
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 406 Post(s)
Re: Stupid New NBA Rule! Can someone please explain it?

you hold a lot of strong opinions about a game you clearly dont understand - my suggestion is that your best approach is probably to watch, listen and read more and post/talk less

(unless you want to ask some questions, that would be fine if you want to just post questions - but generally speaking in most things in life forming strong opinions about things you know nothing about is kind of a quick way to being labelled a total tool)
e-monk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 06:31 PM   #38 (permalink)
Player
 

Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 500
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Re: Stupid New NBA Rule! Can someone please explain it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by l0st1 View Post


Only good players are the most popular scorers. Don't you ever second guess that!
I think you're lost l0st1. I actually posted a link to a wonderful article outlining the talent and amazing skill of Luke Walton after others on this thread thought of him as a horrible player. I hope the article enlightened them about non-superstars and their huge contribution to the team.

Popular scorers are just ballhogs in my opinion. For instance, Kobe Bryant is one of the most popular scorers the league has seen, yet his stats hold very little credibiliity if you ask me. I actually respect the game of non-superstars far more than superstars.
JBKB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 06:46 PM   #39 (permalink)
Player
 

Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 500
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Re: Stupid New NBA Rule! Can someone please explain it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by e-monk View Post
you hold a lot of strong opinions about a game you clearly dont understand - my suggestion is that your best approach is probably to watch, listen and read more and post/talk less

(unless you want to ask some questions, that would be fine if you want to just post questions - but generally speaking in most things in life forming strong opinions about things you know nothing about is kind of a quick way to being labelled a total tool)
To be honest I'm not truly worried about what others think of me. There simply isn't enough time in our short lives to worry about trivial matters. You can do everything right and people will still dislike you anyway. Welcome to life.: )

I do have strong opinions about basketball because I love the game. Much of what I've written about the NBA are opinions that may be challeged, but definitely not proven wrong. For instance, I believe defense is overrated. I could be right or wrong. Perhaps defense isn't overrated, who knows? That's why some coaches place more emphasis on defense, while other coaches focus more on offense. So if I'm clueless, so are you and everyone else forming opinions. Just my two cents.
JBKB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 07:06 PM   #40 (permalink)
Look at your favorite team, now back to mine, mine is better. Deal with it.
 
XxIrvingxX's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 4,922
Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Re: Stupid New NBA Rule! Can someone please explain it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBKB View Post
I think you're lost l0st1. I actually posted a link to a wonderful article outlining the talent and amazing skill of Luke Walton after others on this thread thought of him as a horrible player. I hope the article enlightened them about non-superstars and their huge contribution to the team.

Popular scorers are just ballhogs in my opinion. For instance, Kobe Bryant is one of the most popular scorers the league has seen, yet his stats hold very little credibiliity if you ask me. I actually respect the game of non-superstars far more than superstars.
Okay, are you a troll? Please be serious here. I want to believe it but I don't want to end up being wrong again (I thought drizzay was a troll but turns out he's just stupid).

And Kobe's stats hold very little credibility? Really? Before Nash joined the team, Kobe was the leader in assists per game on his team. You're telling me that doesn't hold any amount of credibility?
__________________
Cleveland Cavaliers NBA Legends Draft Team

PG: Derrick Rose/Norm Van Lier
SG: Joe Dumars/Hal Greer
SF: Dan Majerle/Jamal Mashburn
PF: Karl Malone/Zach Randolph
C: David Robinson/Herb Williams

Coach: Chuck Daly

Quote:
Originally Posted by R-Star View Post
The next time Kyrie tries to hero ball Lebron will dropkick him in the throat.
XxIrvingxX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 07:11 PM   #41 (permalink)
All-Star
 
AllRim's Avatar
 
Tournaments Won: 1

Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Hamilton, Ontario
Age: 31
Posts: 6,980
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Re: Stupid New NBA Rule! Can someone please explain it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBKB View Post
Nah, I still disagree with you. Bigs generally suck, most especially Shaq and Dwight. Superior height does not equal talent in my opinion. There is nothing impressive about a seven-footer who can dunk. If Nate Robinson can dunk, then I would surely hope a seven-footer could. The introduction of the slam dunk gave new life to the big men.

Main point: Most big men suck, and rely on close-to-the-rim baby shots because they know they will airball/brick anywhere else on the court.
Ok. I seriously doubt you're not trolling. But just incase, did you ever watch any of the bigs you've mentioned play basketball?

Yes some bigs aren't great shooters, but do you seriously think basketball is based on mid range jumpers and three pointers? Do you honestly think that they bring nothing else to the game, except their size? And do you honestly think that they didn't have to put in any work to get where they did? Or just anyone who is 7 feet tall can immediately walk into the NBA and dominate without any talent?

Let me go over this again

David Robinson - muscular, strong, agile, and fast and a good outside shot. Wait, according to you a guy over 7 feet tall can't shoot. So I guess I was watching someone else hit those mid range shots, along with the Defense ability and IQ to know where to be to grab rebounds and block shots. Career average of 21 points/10.6 rebounds and 3 blocked shots. But you're right he did all that because he was 7'1

Patrick Ewing - Along with being able to hit mid range shots, Ewing could also force tons of turnovers. When he retired from the Knicks he was the All Time Knicks leader in Points, rebounds, blocked shots and STEALS. He must of only got all those steals because all he had to do was use his height to just grab balls out of the air, right? But again I admit, he was only good because he was tall.

Bill Walton - Walton couldl not only score, rebound and block shots, but he also has excellent court vision. Oh wait he only had good court vision because he was so tall he could see over everyone, damn I guess I proved your point there. Stupid me.

There are so many more, and some better than what I have mentioned above.
AllRim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 07:16 PM   #42 (permalink)
All-Star
 
AllRim's Avatar
 
Tournaments Won: 1

Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Hamilton, Ontario
Age: 31
Posts: 6,980
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Re: Stupid New NBA Rule! Can someone please explain it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBKB View Post
To be honest I'm not truly worried about what others think of me. There simply isn't enough time in our short lives to worry about trivial matters. You can do everything right and people will still dislike you anyway. Welcome to life.: )

I do have strong opinions about basketball because I love the game. Much of what I've written about the NBA are opinions that may be challeged, but definitely not proven wrong. For instance, I believe defense is overrated. I could be right or wrong. Perhaps defense isn't overrated, who knows? That's why some coaches place more emphasis on defense, while other coaches focus more on offense. So if I'm clueless, so are you and everyone else forming opinions. Just my two cents.
I believe all those players I informed you about did prove you wrong.

Defense is overrated? So lets just have teams go down the court five on nothing everytime? PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE tell me you're joking.
AllRim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 07:21 PM   #43 (permalink)
Look at your favorite team, now back to mine, mine is better. Deal with it.
 
XxIrvingxX's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 4,922
Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Re: Stupid New NBA Rule! Can someone please explain it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBKB View Post
To be honest I'm not truly worried about what others think of me. There simply isn't enough time in our short lives to worry about trivial matters. You can do everything right and people will still dislike you anyway. Welcome to life.: )

I do have strong opinions about basketball because I love the game. Much of what I've written about the NBA are opinions that may be challeged, but definitely not proven wrong. For instance, I believe defense is overrated. I could be right or wrong. Perhaps defense isn't overrated, who knows? That's why some coaches place more emphasis on defense, while other coaches focus more on offense. So if I'm clueless, so are you and everyone else forming opinions. Just my two cents.
Yes, yes they have. Numerous times.
__________________
Cleveland Cavaliers NBA Legends Draft Team

PG: Derrick Rose/Norm Van Lier
SG: Joe Dumars/Hal Greer
SF: Dan Majerle/Jamal Mashburn
PF: Karl Malone/Zach Randolph
C: David Robinson/Herb Williams

Coach: Chuck Daly

Quote:
Originally Posted by R-Star View Post
The next time Kyrie tries to hero ball Lebron will dropkick him in the throat.
XxIrvingxX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 07:29 PM   #44 (permalink)
Player
 

Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 500
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Re: Stupid New NBA Rule! Can someone please explain it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxIrvingxX View Post
Okay, are you a troll? Please be serious here. I want to believe it but I don't want to end up being wrong again (I thought drizzay was a troll but turns out he's just stupid).

And Kobe's stats hold very little credibility? Really? Before Nash joined the team, Kobe was the leader in assists per game on his team. You're telling me that doesn't hold any amount of credibility?
Well to be truthful, I'm not really big on NBA stats for many reasons. I believe many players' stats are inflated because of the inefficiency of the league, and it takes far more than stats to interpret the true skills of a player.

As for Kobe's assists, those numbers don't mean much to me considering how often he is double-teammed. I would expect his assists to be high since coaches are boneheaded enough to double-team him so often.

Kobe's points are clearly inflated considering how much he ball-hogs. Nonetheless, I will still consider him as one of the greatest I have ever seen play. However, I don't respect his stats.

Kobe's field goal percentage is also inflated because of the inefficiency of the league and it's flawed rules. As you know, if a player drives to the paint, misses a shot due to a foul, that missed shot is not counted against him in his fieldgoal percentage. However, if he makes the shot while fouled, it gets counted. To take this into perspective, suppose a player goes to the line 1000 times and is fouled 1000 times. If he makes 500 of the 1000 fouled shots, his field goal percentage is 100%, even though he missed 500 shots. Further, we know the refs call foul off the slightest contact, and other times when there is no contact, which means some fouled misses would have surely been misses anyway.

Now that was an extreme example, but players use that tactic all the time to boost their field goal percentage. Kobe boosts his fgp all the time this way. What makes his stats less credible is because he abuses this tactic because of his "super-star" status. In other words, referees will call foul the vast majority of time Kobe drives to the paint and misses. Kobe, Lebron, and many other superstars get calls in the paint that non-superstars could only dream of receiving.

For this reason, and so many more, I don't care much for stats because they don't tell the entire story. For instance, Rondo's assists would be much lower if KG, Ray Allen, and Paul Pierce weren't such great shooters.

Oh, and no... lol I'm not a troll.
JBKB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 07:41 PM   #45 (permalink)
All-Star
 
AllRim's Avatar
 
Tournaments Won: 1

Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Hamilton, Ontario
Age: 31
Posts: 6,980
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Re: Stupid New NBA Rule! Can someone please explain it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBKB View Post
Well to be truthful, I'm not really big on NBA stats for many reasons. I believe many players' stats are inflated because of the inefficiency of the league, and it takes far more than stats to interpret the true skills of a player.

As for Kobe's assists, those numbers don't mean much to me considering how often he is double-teammed. I would expect his assists to be high since coaches are boneheaded enough to double-team him so often.

Kobe's points are clearly inflated considering how much he ball-hogs. Nonetheless, I will still consider him as one of the greatest I have ever seen play. However, I don't respect his stats.

Kobe's field goal percentage is also inflated because of the inefficiency of the league and it's flawed rules. As you know, if a player drives to the paint, misses a shot due to a foul, that missed shot is not counted against him in his fieldgoal percentage. However, if he makes the shot while fouled, it gets counted. To take this into perspective, suppose a player goes to the line 1000 times and is fouled 1000 times. If he makes 500 of the 1000 fouled shots, his field goal percentage is 100%, even though he missed 500 shots. Further, we know the refs call foul off the slightest contact, and other times when there is no contact, which means some fouled misses would have surely been misses anyway.

Now that was an extreme example, but players use that tactic all the time to boost their field goal percentage. Kobe boosts his fgp all the time this way. What makes his stats less credible is because he abuses this tactic because of his "super-star" status. In other words, referees will call foul the vast majority of time Kobe drives to the paint and misses. Kobe, Lebron, and many other superstars get calls in the paint that non-superstars could only dream of receiving.

For this reason, and so many more, I don't care much for stats because they don't tell the entire story. For instance, Rondo's assists would be much lower if KG, Ray Allen, and Paul Pierce weren't such great shooters.

Oh, and no... lol I'm not a troll.
Bold 1+2 way not to contradict yourself.

Bold 3 So you expect player to be penalized for getting fouled?

Bold 4 Maybe Rondo gives them the ball at the right time and in the right spot to make shots easier...

Bold 5 Yes you are

For a guy who loves basketball you seem to hate everything about it.
AllRim is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:05 AM.



User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 2002 2013 BasketballBoards.net.

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1