Stupid New NBA Rule! Can someone please explain it? - Page 4 - Basketball Forum : Professional and College Basketball Forums
BasketballForum.com is the premier basketball Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
User Tag List

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2013, 08:47 PM   #46 (permalink)
Player
 

Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 500
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Re: Stupid New NBA Rule! Can someone please explain it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllRim View Post
Ok. I seriously doubt you're not trolling. But just incase, did you ever watch any of the bigs you've mentioned play basketball?

Yes some bigs aren't great shooters, but do you seriously think basketball is based on mid range jumpers and three pointers? Do you honestly think that they bring nothing else to the game, except their size? And do you honestly think that they didn't have to put in any work to get where they did? Or just anyone who is 7 feet tall can immediately walk into the NBA and dominate without any talent?

Let me go over this again

David Robinson - muscular, strong, agile, and fast and a good outside shot. Wait, according to you a guy over 7 feet tall can't shoot. So I guess I was watching someone else hit those mid range shots, along with the Defense ability and IQ to know where to be to grab rebounds and block shots. Career average of 21 points/10.6 rebounds and 3 blocked shots. But you're right he did all that because he was 7'1

Patrick Ewing - Along with being able to hit mid range shots, Ewing could also force tons of turnovers. When he retired from the Knicks he was the All Time Knicks leader in Points, rebounds, blocked shots and STEALS. He must of only got all those steals because all he had to do was use his height to just grab balls out of the air, right? But again I admit, he was only good because he was tall.

Bill Walton - Walton couldl not only score, rebound and block shots, but he also has excellent court vision. Oh wait he only had good court vision because he was so tall he could see over everyone, damn I guess I proved your point there. Stupid me.

There are so many more, and some better than what I have mentioned above.
Remember Allrim, I don't think all bigs are horrible, just most. Luc Longley, Bill Wennington, Greg Ostertag, Dwight Howard, and many more. I can't speak wholeheartedly on Bill Walton because I haven't watched enough of his game to speak on him. However, I am in full agreement with you about Ewing and Robinson. They were great big men!

Also, I never claimed that being seven feet tall means you can't shoot, or play great basketball. Dirk Nowitzki is living proof of that. : )

I basically just called out a few bigs that receive lots of credit but which I personally think are absolutely horrible: most especially Shaq and Dwight.
JBKB is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 01-16-2013, 09:08 PM   #47 (permalink)
Look at your favorite team, now back to mine, mine is better. Deal with it.
 
XxIrvingxX's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 4,994
Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Re: Stupid New NBA Rule! Can someone please explain it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBKB View Post
As for Kobe's assists, those numbers don't mean much to me considering how often he is double-teammed. I would expect his assists to be high since coaches are boneheaded enough to double-team him so often.
Have you ever watched a SINGLE game involving Kobe? Seriously, you talk about just being another guy giving away his opinions, this is not an opinion, this is a biased Kobe hater spitting out absolute bullshit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBKB View Post
Kobe's points are clearly inflated considering how much he ball-hogs. Nonetheless, I will still consider him as one of the greatest I have ever seen play. However, I don't respect his stats.
Again, you need to start actually watching Kobe's games before making claims like this. This isn't 2005 where Kobe actually WAS a ball hog. Times have changed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBKB View Post
Kobe's field goal percentage is also inflated because of the inefficiency of the league and it's flawed rules. As you know, if a player drives to the paint, misses a shot due to a foul, that missed shot is not counted against him in his fieldgoal percentage. However, if he makes the shot while fouled, it gets counted. To take this into perspective, suppose a player goes to the line 1000 times and is fouled 1000 times. If he makes 500 of the 1000 fouled shots, his field goal percentage is 100%, even though he missed 500 shots. Further, we know the refs call foul off the slightest contact, and other times when there is no contact, which means some fouled misses would have surely been misses anyway.
No, they don't. Again, until you actually watch an NBA game, stop making up crap like this. You aren't making a very convincing argument right now you're just giving us more reasons to miss Drizzay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBKB View Post
Now that was an extreme example, but players use that tactic all the time to boost their field goal percentage. Kobe boosts his fgp all the time this way. What makes his stats less credible is because he abuses this tactic because of his "super-star" status. In other words, referees will call foul the vast majority of time Kobe drives to the paint and misses. Kobe, Lebron, and many other superstars get calls in the paint that non-superstars could only dream of receiving.
I don't even know how to respond to that. There's incredibly stupid posts, and then there's this. That's all I can basically say about it.
__________________
Cleveland Cavaliers NBA Legends Draft Team

PG: Derrick Rose/Norm Van Lier
SG: Joe Dumars/Hal Greer
SF: Dan Majerle/Jamal Mashburn
PF: Karl Malone/Zach Randolph
C: David Robinson/Herb Williams

Coach: Chuck Daly

Quote:
Originally Posted by R-Star View Post
The next time Kyrie tries to hero ball Lebron will dropkick him in the throat.
XxIrvingxX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 09:15 PM   #48 (permalink)
Player
 

Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 500
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Re: Stupid New NBA Rule! Can someone please explain it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllRim View Post
Bold 1+2 way not to contradict yourself.

Bold 3 So you expect player to be penalized for getting fouled?

Bold 4 Maybe Rondo gives them the ball at the right time and in the right spot to make shots easier...

Bold 5 Yes you are

For a guy who loves basketball you seem to hate everything about it.
For BOLD 1+2: There is no contradiction there. Is it really impossible to be a ballhog with assists? Fans and media will hype up Kobe if he has 8 assists. Considering Kobe averages more than 30 shots per game, (not including his uncounted fouled shots, or playoffs games) it's not that impressive that he is averaging 4.7 career assists. For Kobe to shoot the ball probably 40+ times per game, it should be fairly easy to squeeze in 4 assists. Also, Kobe often isn't looking for the assist, he just passes when he is jammed in hopes of getting the ball right back. However, some players just shoot and score, and that counts as an assist for Kobe.

FOR BOLD 3: I expect every shot to be counted as a field-goal attempt. Why should it count as a percentage increase if he makes the fouled shot, but not count as a decrease if he misses the fouled shot? That's stat inflation at its greatest! How about the NBA just grant automatic free-throws whether you make or miss the fouled shot, and not count a fouled shot towards the fgp regardless of hit or miss.

FOR BOLD 4 That we don't know! Just imagine if Kevin Durant was on the Celtics. Surely Rondo's assists would be tremendously higher considering Kevin Durant is considered a shooting machine. I like extreme points. What if Ray, Garnett, and Pierce missed every wide open shot that Rondo passed? Then Rondo's assist wouldn't count.

Now here's a stat that would be useful: ATTEMPTED ASSISTS. This stat would count all the assists that were made or missed. That way we are truly counting assists. You see, the passer of the assist can only be credited an assist if the receiver makes the shot. Poor shooters mean less assists, but we know Pierce, Ray, and Garnett are great shooters, so more assists for Rondo : ) Tons of perfectly attempted assists go awry because of poor shooters.

BOLD 5

If you get pleasure out of calling me a troll, have fun. It really doesn't bother me AllRim. : )

Last edited by JBKB; 01-16-2013 at 09:21 PM.
JBKB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 09:35 PM   #49 (permalink)
Player
 

Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 500
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Re: Stupid New NBA Rule! Can someone please explain it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxIrvingxX View Post
Have you ever watched a SINGLE game involving Kobe? Seriously, you talk about just being another guy giving away his opinions, this is not an opinion, this is a biased Kobe hater spitting out absolute bullshit.



Again, you need to start actually watching Kobe's games before making claims like this. This isn't 2005 where Kobe actually WAS a ball hog. Times have changed.



No, they don't. Again, until you actually watch an NBA game, stop making up crap like this. You aren't making a very convincing argument right now you're just giving us more reasons to miss Drizzay.



I don't even know how to respond to that. There's incredibly stupid posts, and then there's this. That's all I can basically say about it.
It's not an outrageous claim towards Kobe. The entire world knows Kobe is a ballhog. Exceptions do occur, so I will respect that you are among the few who think Kobe isn't a ballhogger. I guess according to you he didn't ballhog to win 2011 All-Star MVP.

As for the stats, if you like them, use them and enjoy them. I'm not big on them, and would never use them to rank a player. Anyone who does rely on stats simply don't understand the game. Put me on the court with Lebron, Wade, and Bosh, and I will surely have a high field goal percentage thanks to my wide open shots (well, at least if the big 3 actually pass).
JBKB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 10:14 PM   #50 (permalink)
All-Star
 
e-monk's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 7,925
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 452 Post(s)
Re: Stupid New NBA Rule! Can someone please explain it?

yeah so you missed the whole shut the hell up and learn before you speak lesson and just plunged ahead with the stupid opinions phase of the evenings entertainment - good on you

have a nice night being wrong and dumb
e-monk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 02:53 PM   #51 (permalink)
Star
 
l0st1's Avatar
 
2010 Mahjong Champion! Helicopter2 Champion!
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 3,983
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 559 Post(s)
Re: Stupid New NBA Rule! Can someone please explain it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBKB View Post
I see nothing wrong with referees calling fouls on significant contact. The only problem I have is that weak contact on big men is considered a foul. Big men have it easy now that the league has softened up.

Yes, why not. I would have lots of respect for a big who could dribble well and hit jumpshots at a much higher percentage.

As for why I think bigs are horrible: all they do is dunk/layup. That takes absolutely no skill if you ask me. They are just fortunate to be playing in a league with rules that allow them to bulldoze their way to easy baskets.

Formula for a successful BIG: Be seven feet tall; stand right next to the rim; jump three feet to dunk it. Be sure to score when fouled since you clearly suck at hitting free throws, and are too lazy to even try learning how. Keep the game simple. Just take advantage of the fact that referees won't allow anyone to defend you and dunk dunk dunk to increase your already inflated stats.
Seriously? Bigs get weak contact? Then why is it Shaq and Dwight both have routinely complained about the amount of hitting they take? The amount of force to hold them is extremely different then the force to hold say Nate Robinson. In most cases players literally have to pound them to play any sort of defense. Which by all accounts(except apparently yours) that is a foul. Referees won't allow anyone to defend them? You do realize that the two you are quoting most, Shaq and Dwight, were by most accounts the largest/strongest people in the league and a couple of the most athletic big men we've ever seen. Most players COULDN'T defend them without fouling.


Have you actually watched basketball? Did you watch Shaq in his prime? Have you watched Yao? Garnett? Duncan? If you want to go further back how about David Robinson, Hakeem, Ewing? KAJ? Walton?

Those are just a FEW of the many many many big men that don't "just dunk the ball". Shaq specifically gets recognized because of his size but in his prime he was insanely athletic, a great passer, had extremely good foot work in the post. If you seriously think all he did was dunk the ball then you need to go watch some games.
l0st1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 03:01 PM   #52 (permalink)
Star
 
l0st1's Avatar
 
2010 Mahjong Champion! Helicopter2 Champion!
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 3,983
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 559 Post(s)
Re: Stupid New NBA Rule! Can someone please explain it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllRim View Post
Bold 1+2 way not to contradict yourself.

Bold 3 So you expect player to be penalized for getting fouled?

Bold 4 Maybe Rondo gives them the ball at the right time and in the right spot to make shots easier...

Bold 5 Yes you are

For a guy who loves basketball you seem to hate everything about it.
NO! He only gets assists because of the other players his passes mean nothing!


Wait, KG is a great shooter? I thought big men suck and only dunk?
l0st1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 03:10 PM   #53 (permalink)
All-Star
 
AllRim's Avatar
 
Tournaments Won: 1

Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Hamilton, Ontario
Age: 31
Posts: 7,158
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Re: Stupid New NBA Rule! Can someone please explain it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBKB
I see nothing wrong with referees calling fouls on significant contact. The only problem I have is that weak contact on big men is considered a foul. Big men have it easy now that the league has softened up.

Yes, why not. I would have lots of respect for a big who could dribble well and hit jumpshots at a much higher percentage.

As for why I think bigs are horrible: all they do is dunk/layup. That takes absolutely no skill if you ask me. They are just fortunate to be playing in a league with rules that allow them to bulldoze their way to easy baskets.

Formula for a successful BIG: Be seven feet tall; stand right next to the rim; jump three feet to dunk it. Be sure to score when fouled since you clearly suck at hitting free throws, and are too lazy to even try learning how. Keep the game simple. Just take advantage of the fact that referees won't allow anyone to defend you and dunk dunk dunk to increase your already inflated stats.
You forgot about their wingspan, so 7 footers don't need to jump 3 feet. So if you're going to make a rediculous arguement at least get your numbers right.

And when I brought up all the great Bigs of the NBA, you completely changed your stance on Bigs by saying only guys like Dwight and Shaq are garbage.

You've lost, admit it and move on.
AllRim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 04:45 PM   #54 (permalink)
All-Star
 
e-monk's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 7,925
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 452 Post(s)
Re: Stupid New NBA Rule! Can someone please explain it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by l0st1 View Post
Seriously? Bigs get weak contact?
anyone who doubts that more contact is allowed under the basket than it is on the perimeter has no idea what they're talking about - anyone who holds such strong opinions in matters of which they clearly have zero grasp is a fool

you find yourself trying to talk sense to someone like that now - good luck - I already gave up and will just be rude to him until he proves himself worthy of anything but ridicule
e-monk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 04:46 PM   #55 (permalink)
All-Star
 
e-monk's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 7,925
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 452 Post(s)
Re: Stupid New NBA Rule! Can someone please explain it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllRim View Post
You forgot about their wingspan, so 7 footers don't need to jump 3 feet.
maybe he means like when they dunk with their heads?
e-monk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 04:49 PM   #56 (permalink)
Look at your favorite team, now back to mine, mine is better. Deal with it.
 
XxIrvingxX's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 4,994
Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Re: Stupid New NBA Rule! Can someone please explain it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBKB View Post
It's not an outrageous claim towards Kobe. The entire world knows Kobe is a ballhog. Exceptions do occur, so I will respect that you are among the few who think Kobe isn't a ballhogger. I guess according to you he didn't ballhog to win 2011 All-Star MVP.
You mean the entire world THINKS he's a ball hog. There's a huge difference.

And no he didn't ball hog to win it, he played like the all star MVP. But I guess going by your logic Kevin Durant ball hogged to win the 2012 All-Star MVP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBKB View Post
As for the stats, if you like them, use them and enjoy them. I'm not big on them, and would never use them to rank a player. Anyone who does rely on stats simply don't understand the game. Put me on the court with Lebron, Wade, and Bosh, and I will surely have a high field goal percentage thanks to my wide open shots (well, at least if the big 3 actually pass).
You have clearly demonstrated a lack of understanding of the game, don't ever make a statement like that. Ever. And again, wide open shots don't guarantee you a high field goal percentage, and guess what? Playing with the big three doesn't guarantee you that you'll get that many wide open shots either. Because guess what? There's a certain something called DEFENSE!
__________________
Cleveland Cavaliers NBA Legends Draft Team

PG: Derrick Rose/Norm Van Lier
SG: Joe Dumars/Hal Greer
SF: Dan Majerle/Jamal Mashburn
PF: Karl Malone/Zach Randolph
C: David Robinson/Herb Williams

Coach: Chuck Daly

Quote:
Originally Posted by R-Star View Post
The next time Kyrie tries to hero ball Lebron will dropkick him in the throat.
XxIrvingxX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 09:42 AM   #57 (permalink)
Star
 
l0st1's Avatar
 
2010 Mahjong Champion! Helicopter2 Champion!
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 3,983
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 559 Post(s)
Re: Stupid New NBA Rule! Can someone please explain it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by e-monk View Post
anyone who doubts that more contact is allowed under the basket than it is on the perimeter has no idea what they're talking about - anyone who holds such strong opinions in matters of which they clearly have zero grasp is a fool

you find yourself trying to talk sense to someone like that now - good luck - I already gave up and will just be rude to him until he proves himself worthy of anything but ridicule
Good point. I, too, shall stop with this topic. Clearly logic and facts are lost on him.
l0st1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:38 PM.



User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 2002 2013 BasketballBoards.net.

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1